Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
CGFan2017

Center Grove to Add New Score Board with Bigger Jumbotron

Posted (edited)

http://www.dailyjournal.net/2018/06/16/center_grove_getting_new_signs_screens/

A good and necessary upgrade over the previous one. That small screen wasn't a great investment in my opinion. The new screen is said to be 5 times the size.

Also adding a message board on the North side of the stadium. Will make the new stadium look even better.

Edited by CGFan2017

What's a Jumbotron :10_v:

can we have your old one, or are you moving it to your youth field :07_v:

• Haha 2

Can't believe Mudda hasn't chimed in on this groce misuse of public funds. 

• Haha 2

Center Grove is a cash generating machine.  They have built a brand name that is attractive to corporate sponsors, like Ray Skillman, IU Health, and others.

Kudos to AD Jon Zwitt for leveraging all of CGs benefits and making the school a major attraction to corporate sponsors.

• Upvote 1

Unlike most here I don't compulsively refresh the forums dozens of times a day, looking for new topics and replies.

That said may I inquire as to the funding source(s) for such a lavish upgrade?

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Unlike most here I don't compulsively refresh the forums dozens of times a day, looking for new topics and replies.

User tip of the Day: Keep the "Activity" tab open, and it will notify when a new 'item' has appeared in any of the Forums. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gonzoron said:

User tip of the Day: Keep the "Activity" tab open, and it will notify when a new 'item' has appeared in any of the Forums. 

Thanks for the tip, but again I don't have that kind of compulsion.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Thanks for the tip, but again I don't have that kind of compulsion.

I think you have mistaken yourself for someone else.

• Haha 8

4 minutes ago, Gonzoron said:

I think you have mistaken yourself for someone else.

?

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

Center Grove is a cash generating machine.  They have built a brand name that is attractive to corporate sponsors, like Ray Skillman, IU Health, and others.

Kudos to AD Jon Zwitt for leveraging all of CGs benefits and making the school a major attraction to corporate sponsors.

We have big sponsors too, Tim's sheep-shearing and Bob's Manure Hauling have agreed to mow and fertilize our field respectively 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

According to the article an elementary school project came in under budget. Approximately 900K and the school system elected to spend the money on lighted signs and the new jumbotron. 

It is my understanding that in Indiana, capital project funds don't come from the state, I don't pay taxes in Johnson County, none of my business what they do. 

5 minutes ago, CharlieTweeder said:

We have big sponsors too, Tim's sheep-shearing and Bob's Manure Hauling have agreed to mow and fertilize our field respectively 

Per the article, they have not decided on advertising yet, but it was a "discussion that would be had". 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

According to the article an elementary school project came in under budget. Approximately 900K and the school system elected to spend the money on lighted signs and the new jumbotron. 

So Johnson county residents who live with the Center Grove school corporations geographical boundaries were not notified of this under budget project?  Were they not given a choice to effectively return this 900k, which would help to reduce their overall tax burden?   How exactly do lighted signs and a huge jumbotron further the mission statement of the Center Grove school corporation?

• Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, CharlieTweeder said:

Unfortunately, the school had to turn them down due to liability reasons...

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

There it is. 

53 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

So Johnson county residents who live with the Center Grove school corporations geographical boundaries were not notified of this under budget project?  Were they not given a choice to effectively return this 900k, which would help to reduce their overall tax burden?   How exactly do lighted signs and a huge jumbotron further the mission statement of the Center Grove school corporation?

It would be crumbs. 😂 

53 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

It would be crumbs. 😂 

3 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

It would be crumbs. 😂 

I guess to a millionaire like yourself.  I have to count my pennies.

And again, how exactly do lighted signs and a huge jumbotron further the mission statement of the Center Grove school corporation?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CharlieTweeder said:

What's a Jumbotron :10_v:

can we have your old one, or are you moving it to your youth field :07_v:

I like the way you think!

Edited by Grover
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

That would be an issue between the property owners in Johnson County, more specifically the townships that encompass CG's school district and the CG School Board. Since I don't own property in the aforementioned area, not my concern.

• Upvote 1

No one in that community (White River Township) will be challenging any financial investments in CG schools any time soon.  They all are keenly aware that the CG school system, and the cult like athletic culture in the district,  are the keys to maintaining their high property values.  No reason to upset the golden goose.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

And again, how exactly do lighted signs and a huge jumbotron further the mission statement of the Center Grove school corporation?

I looked up the property taxes for one house across the pond from CGHS. One house mind you, including homestead/supplemental exemption of $129,735.00 have a property tax of over $2650.00 per year. This is ONE house in ONE subdivision. These aren't even the nice houses. I tend to agree Coach Ellenwood, 900K is a drop in the bucket. 900K is one years tax bill for 340 of these houses, which amounts to what, 3-4 subdivisions? 

Not to mention the once house I looked at, after a quick scan of the neighborhood, that had an annual property tax bill of over 23K. 

19 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I looked up the property taxes for one house across the pond from CGHS. One house mind you, including homestead/supplemental exemption of $129,735.00 have a property tax of over $2650.00 per year. This is ONE house in ONE subdivision. These aren't even the nice houses. I tend to agree Coach Ellenwood, 900K is a drop in the bucket. 900K is one years tax bill for 340 of these houses, which amounts to what, 3-4 subdivisions? 

Not to mention the once house I looked at, after a quick scan of the neighborhood, that had an annual property tax bill of over 23K. 

A drop in the bucket is still pennies saved.    In the backpacking enthusiast community there is a phrase regarding your backpack base weight:  "ounces equals pounds, and pounds equal pain."  Same goes here:  pennies can quickly add up to dollars.

And again, how exactly do lighted signs and a huge jumbotron further the mission statement of the Center Grove school corporation?  Can a property tax paying resident of White River Township in Johnson County please answer that simple question? 

2 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

A drop in the bucket is still pennies saved.    In the backpacking enthusiast community there is a phrase regarding your backpack base weight:  "ounces equals pounds, and pounds equal pain."  Same goes here:  pennies can quickly add up to dollars.

And again, how exactly do lighted signs and a huge jumbotron further the mission statement of the Center Grove school corporation?  Can a property tax paying resident of White River Township in Johnson County please answer that simple question? 

I owned a home in White River Township, Center Grove school district, from 2004-2013.

My prop value was in the 235K range and property taxes were in the 2% range.  Very reasonable.  

CG schools were in constant building, remodeling mode during my entire 10 year stay in the community.  The schools are the single biggest drawing card for the community, as there is little industry/business base in that part of the Indy metro area.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Were you listening to the Dude's story Donnie?

FTA:

The $88,000 message center, which will be just under 8 feet tall and nearly 24 feet wide, can be used to communicate upcoming events and other messages with the high school’s 2,500 students and 200 staff members, in addition to the 4,000 to 6,000 community members who attend football games, Arkanoff said.

Smaller signs are going up at each of the other schools.

Whether the new signs outside of each of the school buildings will have advertisements has not been decided yet, but if so, they would follow the school district’s current policy on advertising, such as what is used inside the high school football stadium, Arkanoff said.

The main goal of the new signs outside of schools is not for advertising, but instead to be able to communicate with parents and the community, Arkanoff said. The new signs will cost nearly $313,000 in total.

“We are really excited to be able to push out messages from the district level and building level,” he said.

For example, currently none of the elementary schools have digital signs, so each elementary school posts signs letting parents know the dates of kindergarten registration. But with the new signs, that information could easily be displayed, with the same message and same format at each of the elementary schools, Conrad said.

The signs could also be used to let people know about schoolwide events, to get out information during an emergency or for everyday communications, Arkanoff said.

Both middle schools and high school have electronic signs, but the new signs will be larger with more room for additional information. The new signs at the elementary and middle schools will be just under 4 feet tall and about 8 feet wide. The high school sign will be larger, at just under 5 feet tall and 12 feet wide, according to the contract approved with South Dakota-based Daktronics.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

It was a joke dude. Relax. You know......the crumb comment about tax breaks. 

16 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Were you listening to the Dude's story Donnie?

FTA:

Who is Donnie?

"Message Center". lol.  And the district should use the expensive signs to push advertisements, it might help to to recoup the $313,000 in taxpayer money that was spent on such an extravagance.