Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

Texas seeing participation decline - ominous long term trend

Posted (edited)

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/texas-high-school-football/

The issues are the same, but now they are impacting participation in Texas, ground zero for top level high school football.

Within 5 years, we will see significant program contraction, which will lead to mass reclassification and high school conference realignment as schools scramble to find like minded competition.

The down sizing of the game will be long and painful for many.  

Edited by DrivenT
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DrivenT said:

The issues are the same, but now they are impacting participation in Texas, ground zero for top level high school football.

Within 5 years, we will see significant program contraction, which will lead to mass reclassification and high school conference realignment as schools scramble to find like minded competition.

It’s ironic that kids are being held out of football at a time when the sport is safer than it has ever been. There is a lot of work being done now to attempt to quantify risks, and to assess the effect that rules changes, contact restrictions in practice, and new coaching techniques have on those risks. But that’s going to take some time. I’m confident that 10-15 yrs. down the road, the pendulum will swing back the other way.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, DrivenT said:

But they have spring football DT, isn't that the judge of a healthy football state :)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

The head injury issue obviously comes into play, there's no denying that. I don't think we can lay all the blame on that doorstep. I think there are other factors involved. Football is hard, there's work involved, there's discipline involved, as our society becomes less and less rigid when it comes to behaviors, adherence to rules/laws, the "it's all about me" attitude in general, that's not real conducive to Football. I "think" (my opinion) societal changes in general are more of a factor than anything else. The concussion data merely makes for a convenient excuse. 

I think the NF as well as the NFCA have done a great job of getting out in front of some of these issues. For the kids who are opting out, it's their loss, the game will ultimately survive, at least in the foreseeable future.  

Edited by Impartial_Observer
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, bobref said:

It’s ironic that kids are being held out of football at a time when the sport is safer than it has ever been. There is a lot of work being done now to attempt to quantify risks, and to assess the effect that rules changes, contact restrictions in practice, and new coaching techniques have on those risks. But that’s going to take some time. I’m confident that 10-15 yrs. down the road, the pendulum will swing back the other way.

All the equipment and technique improvements in the world will not sway a mother who is convinced her son is heading for long term brain trauma if he steps foot on the gridiron.       That Jeannie is out of the bottle - never to return. And you can't turn the tide of advancing demographic forces working against participation. We are in the initial phase of football downsizing.  

43 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

The head injury issue obviously comes into play, there's no denying that. I don't think we can lay all the blame on that doorstep. I think there are other factors involved. Football is hard, there's work involved, there's discipline involved, as our society becomes less and less rigid when it comes to behaviors, adherence to rules/laws, the "it's all about me" attitude in general, that's not real conducive to Football. I "think" (my opinion) societal changes in general are more of a factor than anything else. 

'Bro culture.

• Downvote 2

39 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

All the equipment and technique improvements in the world will not sway a mother who is convinced her son is heading for long term brain trauma if he steps foot on the gridiron.       That Jeannie is out of the bottle - never to return. And you can't turn the tide of advancing demographic forces working against participation. We are in the initial phase of football downsizing.  

While the percentage of Americans playing football is trending down, the number of participants is still up from your glory days in high school.  People have ever increasing options, this is the biggest reason for the dip in market share, but make don’t doubt that football is still an option and will be for the foreseeable future. 

Now if you want to talk about a dying genre, journalism.  What a sad state of affairs it has become.  Murrow would be turning over in his grave.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Since the data analyzed is from Texas, might the growing Hispanic majority down there be less interested in Gridiron Football, and more interested in Association Football?

29 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

'Bro culture.

How so?

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

Dad doesn't have a voice?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Since the data analyzed is from Texas, might the growing Hispanic majority down there be less interested in Gridiron Football, and more interested in Association Football?

Hispanics are the fastest growing demographic group in the nation.  The attached doc shows growth of the hispanic population from 15% of the total in 2010 to 30% of the total in 2050. These numbers will be even higher in the southwest.   Natural hispanic culture and customs , which do not include American tackle football, will continue to spread throughout the country.  

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/working-papers/2009/demo/us-pop-proj-2000-2050/analytical-document09.pdf

9 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

How so?

The American middle class Dad is having a very difficult time in our current culture.  Women are now more educated, and are taking over upper level management positions at an ever increasing rate.  

We are entering a time soon where women will become majority head of household.  

Edited by DrivenT

1 minute ago, DrivenT said:

Natural hispanic culture and customs

Please take off pointy white hats when writing posts.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

How so?

" our society becomes less and less rigid when it comes to behaviors, adherence to rules/laws, the "it's all about me" attitude in general"

Part of 'bro culture.

19 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

If Momma ain't happy then nobody is happy.

14 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Natural hispanic culture and customs , which do not include American tackle football, will continue to spread throughout the country.  

Case in point:  Frankfort, Indiana.

12 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Please take off pointy white hats when writing posts.

How many Quinceañeras are held in most Indiana cities and towns on a given weekend?  In Frankfort, it's a least one, sometimes 3-4.

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Case in point:  Frankfort, Indiana.

Or, maybe player engagement is just really bad in Frankfort. Virgin Valley HS in Mesquite NV is 50% Hispanic, and they have a very strong program, due in large part to getting the community engaged in the sport.

35 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Or, maybe player engagement is just really bad in Frankfort. Virgin Valley HS in Mesquite NV is 50% Hispanic, and they have a very strong program, due in large part to getting the community engaged in the sport.

The kids don't care about American football, this is true.   It is a real possibility that this season the varsity and junior varsity soccer teams at FHS will have more individuals on it that the varsity and junior varsity American football teams.  And this is at a supposed '4A' school, according to the IHSAA.

7 hours ago, Muda69 said:

" our society becomes less and less rigid when it comes to behaviors, adherence to rules/laws, the "it's all about me" attitude in general"

Part of 'bro culture.

If Momma ain't happy then nobody is happy.

So stating the obvious is the “bro culture” whatever you say chief. 

Sometimes, when you’re a man, you gotta make tough decisions. 

9 hours ago, DrivenT said:

The American middle class Dad is having a very difficult time in our current culture.  Women are now more educated, and are taking over upper level management positions at an ever increasing rate.  

But according to HRC, middle class America wifes are doing what their husbands tell them to do!

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, DrivenT said:

And how does this translate into football participation rates?

Edited by DanteEstonia

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Sometimes, when you’re a man, you gotta make tough decisions. 

Agreed. 

So you are ultimately the King of your Castle, and ruler over your spouse?

10 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

So a women in a classic man/women marriage shouldn't have a say in whether or not a married couple's child participates in American tackle football?   I believe what DT is saying is the if the women is now the primary breadwinner in a marriage her opinions regarding sports participation should hold more weight,  just like it did for the man when for decades he was almost always the primary breadwinner.

Edited by Muda69

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

So a women in a classic man/women marriage shouldn't have a say in whether or not a married couple's child participates in American tackle football?

How did you get that from my comment?

I believe what DT is saying is the if the women is now the primary breadwinner in a marriage her opinions regarding sports participation should hold more weight,  just like it did for the man when for decades he was almost always the primary breadwinner.

The "traditional" relationship you have described doesn't sound like a very happy one.

2 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

How did you get that from my comment?

It was not a comment, it was a question:

So you are ultimately the King of your Castle, and ruler over your spouse?

I never said that. I said sometimes the man has to make tough decisions. The sign up sheet for Football in my area only has to have one parent/guardian signature.

• Haha 1

Just now, Impartial_Observer said:

I never said that. I said sometimes the man has to make tough decisions. The sign up sheet for Football in my area only has to have one parent/guardian signature.

And what if your spouse disagrees with your decision, and demands you rescind your signature?

10 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

And what if your spouse disagrees with your decision, and demands you rescind your signature?

Hasn't come up on nearly 30 years. My guess is she more in love with the "I told you so". 

1 minute ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Hasn't come up on nearly 30 years. My guess is she more in love with the "I told you so". 

Would you even consider consulting your spouse before signing a document allowing your child to play American tackle football?

1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

Would you even consider consulting your spouse before signing a document allowing your child to play American tackle football?

We did discuss it. He played one year, in the fourth grade. Never had an interest after that. 

• Upvote 1