Sign in to follow this  
slicer28

Derek Thompson Resigns at Kankakee Valley

Wow that's really close to the season.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, slicer28 said:

Per NWI Times this afternoon, Derek Thompson has resigned as KV head coach.

Link to NWI Times Story

This is almost correct. Region Sports released a report this past Monday I believe.  Besides the “when he resigned” all else is correct.  Best wishes to Derek Thompson and KVHS. 

KV is trying to fill their ladies hoops job and now football, again. This will be the 4th HFB coach at KV since October of 2017 (If you count the initial candidate who chose to back out before getting board approved). Prairie, initial candidate, Thompson, now ?  

Edited by Coach Ellenwood

I do not know if KV will look outside to fill the position. Fill from within? Hire an interim from within the building or currently on staff?  It has been very quite. The kids deserve stability. 

Posted (edited)

I remember warming up for wrestling practice and KV coaching legend Walt Prochno...and being a man who imparted his "wisdom" often on us I remember how often he would reference the ineptitude of KV Football...and even being a part of the team I could see the issues plaguing the high school football team. Hard to argue it's a great job when so many have been both passed over and the ones that do try and stay are usually sent screaming somewhere into the waiting arms of a another program.

Losing your head football coach at this time of year indicates just how unsettled that job is. I have to wonder what the impetus was behind him being asked to resign both his coaching and teaching position. We sure don't mind taking care of things in house and unfortunately what results is a lot of BS gets swept under the rug. I have no personal relationship within the school anymore, I was just a fan and ex-player who lives in the community. Never has a leadership stayed in place long enough to bridge the gap from youth football to prep level. Hopefully we can find a decent candidate that will be given some sorely needed autonomy at the top. Too many hands in the cookie jar there trying to dictate decisions from beyond the coaches office.

It just doesn't make any sense. Our girls teams are sending softball and basketball teams down state and are regularly good at volleyball as well...but our cornerstone boys teams like the Basketball and Football have frankly never been more than good for couple years at a time. Baseball has not recovered since Doug Greenlee left that position to focus solely on the A.D. position from which he is now retired. It doesn't make a lot of sense because our facilities are finally starting to level out some.

Edited by silvertone1696
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Who in their right mind would want to step into this situation? 

I say 10 games.    Who will take the Over/ Under on how long the next coach will be around.  

I do not believe the school is at fault here. It’s a shame because the kids lose out in the end. For KV’s sake, I hope they can hire an effective coach and establish some much-needed stability in their football program. 

3 minutes ago, 8mpg said:

I do not believe the school is at fault here. It’s a shame because the kids lose out in the end. For KV’s sake, I hope they can hire an effective coach and establish some much-needed stability in their football program. 

Paoli had interest

3 hours ago, silvertone1696 said:

Doug Greenlee left that position to focus solely on the A.D. position from which he is now retired. 

My Man Greenlee is not retired:   he is A.D. at Greencastle and just hired Carmel's ex gbball coach which I applaud him for!!    

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Maybe its time for KV to go unconventional and reach out for a retired HC, somebody who wants to come back one more time and take a last shot at the title.

You know how these old coaches are - its never really over till its really over

Dave Shelbourne

Leroy Marsh

Brad Smith

Mark Hoffman

Bob Schellinger

Kirk Kennedy

Edited by DrivenT

23 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

My Man Greenlee is not retired:   he is A.D. at Greencastle and just hired Carmel's ex gbball coach which I applaud him for!!    

Always enjoyed doing games at KV, knowing that Doug would be there to take care of us. Class act.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Maybe its time for KV to go unconventional and reach out for a retired HC, somebody who wants to come back one more time and take a last shot at the title.

You know how these old coaches are - its never really over till its really over

Dave Shelbourne

Leroy Marsh

Brad Smith

Mark Hoffman

Bob Schellinger

Kirk Kennedy

Never

never

never

never

never

already tried

37 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Kirk KennedyI

10 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

already tried

Him? Or them?

Something about Kennedy at KV just sounds right.  

47 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Something about Kennedy at KV just sounds right.  

I will just say this.....

Old school. 

Sounds like that is exactly what they need.

None of those *Deleted*s in that "hamlet" would bully Kennedy.  

Posted (edited)

Coach Greenlee made his mistakes as both coach and AD but he was certainly a good man and Greencastle is obviously better off.

Regarding the current A.D. well it is true he holds the position. 

Thats all I have to say about that.

Kirk Kennedy would probably have a lot of success at KV if allowed to build the program. But it will take a special soul to navigate the politics that govern this area and hang in long enough to see the fruits of his labor.

Edited by silvertone1696

This is what happens when adults forget that the game is for the kids ... not for them. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Brad Stewart was retired when was Head Coach at KV, was DC under KK at Lowell, brought that touch minded approach.    

12 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Brad Stewart was retired when was Head Coach at KV, was DC under KK at Lowell, brought that touch minded approach.    

I have always considered KK to be among the best head coaches I ever saw. But he clearly had his own style, and I honestly question whether his approach would work at KV now. Don’t know if they would be ready for the culture shock. 

8 hours ago, bobref said:

This is what happens when adults forget that the game is for the kids ... not for them. 

Wow....the irony of this statement is almost too much to take. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Stewart had a principal that was willing to shield coaches from the micromanaging that has plagued the corp.  He recently passed.

Honestly I can't see that kind of situation working anymore for it did for Stewart. I give that staff credit though they had the big season in which we tied for 1st but lost to a good Hobart team in the 1st round of sectionals.

I would love for us to get our own coach Meeks like Rensselaer, someone willing up embrace the job and install a system that will hold up for a decade or more.  He does a great job at coordinating the program from youth on up.

That's pretty much the wish list for any struggling program I'm sure. It usually always pays dividends when a coach invests in the youth program.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

This season is Coach Meeks' 20th as HC, and will be the 9th different HC he has gone up against for the Cracker Barrel.   

We have had the same 5 guys since 2003 when I was paid staff, I was film guy from 1999 to 2002 while at Purdue.  

Unfortunately times have changed. Coaches getting to stay at a school for long durations won't be as common as the past. Parents/schools, whomever may be at fault do not support coaches as in the past. Yes, there are still some that do but as those long time coaches retire you start to see the turnovers. Another concern is the long time coaches who have had no parental issues for many year-- are now being accused of this or that. Times have come that schools will insist coaches coach the parents, not the players. Some of you will understand what I mean. When coaches are told whom to play or not play, when they can hold weights/practices etc., it makes the coaching professional life short lived and tough. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3