Haven't heard a peep yet on how the team will look this year.  Anyone got anything?  Who will be the starting qb?  I am thinking it will be Dyer.

366 grades 9 through 12

Posted (edited)

All I can say is, I'm confident the Miners will better than they were last year.  How much better ???  We'll find out a lot in game 1.

Edited by SR1

On 7/10/2018 at 9:31 AM, kingtut said:

All I can say is, I'm confident the Miners will better than they were last year.  How much better ???  We'll find out a lot in game 1.

Why?

Posted (edited)
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:10 PM, SR1 said:

Why?

Very young last year.  A year older, bigger and stronger. And, hopefully, smarter.

Edited by kingtut

I don't claim to know a lot about this sport, but I do agree.  They were young last year so they will be considerably faster and stronger.  2 concerns:

- Won't be easy to replace Cox.  He was severely underrated last year; a super tough kid.  If Dyer is given the keys, he has a lot of potential but I wouldn't call it an upgrade.  At least not early in the year.

- Defense.  Teams ran away from Jerrells all season last year.  And when they did, Howard was usually there to blow thru a block and get to the ball.  Both kids gone to graduation but maybe they make up for it by being improved in other areas.

Just so Im on the same page on the young factor. I think Linton had 12 Seniors on last years team on a roster of 47. Which of the 12 seniors didn't play much last year.

Dreydon Howard, Chance Howard(Captain), Braiden Irish, Craig Gretlein, Braxton Robinson, Daymeon Alsman, Josh Warnock, Ryan Figg, Trevor Hill, Keaton Cox(Captain), Levi Jerrells, Noah Clark.

I am seeing 9 SR's on this years roster of 54.

Now I know, numbers might not be totally correct, but I would venture to say 12 out of 47 Seniors is pretty decent.

How many underclassmen starters are back this year?

And no, Im not asking any of this trying to scout out Linton for the year,  we are gonna come down to Linton this year and have a great time playing against a great team.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, WCGrad92 said:

Just so Im on the same page on the young factor. I think Linton had 12 Seniors on last years team on a roster of 47. Which of the 12 seniors didn't play much last year.

Dreydon Howard, Chance Howard(Captain), Braiden Irish, Craig Gretlein, Braxton Robinson, Daymeon Alsman, Josh Warnock, Ryan Figg, Trevor Hill, Keaton Cox(Captain), Levi Jerrells, Noah Clark.

I am seeing 9 SR's on this years roster of 54.

Now I know, numbers might not be totally correct, but I would venture to say 12 out of 47 Seniors is pretty decent.

How many underclassmen starters are back this year?

And no, Im not asking any of this trying to scout out Linton for the year,  we are gonna come down to Linton this year and have a great time playing against a great team.

A few of those seniors won't be missed much. Easily replaceable. It wasn't a strong senior class by Linton standards.

Clark opted not to play last year to focus on basketball.

Edited by ts32
  • Upvote 1

Ahhh. Well.... I'll be back tomorrow to address these questions!!  Linton just had a controlled scrimmage with Southmont and N.Vermillion.  we were without 3 of our 4 captains, and another starter.  Looks like several of last year's sophs are bigger...depth looks to be a much better thing for Linton..but it's pretty early to say.  Certainly gonna be some big questions in some spots, but if a couple kids step up and separate themselves from the pack I like our chances. Yes there will be been faces, and as always, gotta hope the injury bug stays away.  Oh yeah it's getting close to that time!!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ts32 said:

A few of those seniors won't be missed much. Easily replaceable. It wasn't a strong senior class by Linton standards.

Clark opted not to play last year to focus on basketball.

I agree with TS32.  There are able replacements for most of the departing seniors.  Of course Keaton Cox, Levi Jerrels, and Chance Howard will be missed.  One of the twelve didn't actually play.   Josh Warnock, was carried on the roster but didn't play the last two years because of a medical problem.  Previous post listed Dreydon Howard.  That was actually Dreydon Ward.  A receiver, he was slowed by a hip injury for much of the season.

On 7/17/2018 at 8:10 PM, SR1 said:

Why?

Well because Southridge is such a solid program.. and its a good way to see how we stack up.  I mean.. 2 our 4 losses last year were to The Raiders.. another to state finalist Eastern Greene... and the last to Cardinal Ritter.   NObody wants a loss in any situation sure,  and those are the  games you got to win to get to the next level.   I, and I know most all LInton fans have immense respect for Southridge Football.. and sports as a whole.. just as we do Monrovia.   3 football programs right there that are small town football intense.. just like I like it.   WE fought tooth and nail with the Raiders in week 1 last week... but the score honestly was closer I feel than the play on the field...  the rematch had me concerned going in.. but heck...Linton missed some opportunities...as did Southridge in the opening half... and a 0-0 half score was a surprise.  2nd half was all Southridge though.   We will be watching to see how some of the young kids respond this year... some of the young kids who started last year--- how they have matured.. or not.  It's a heck of a start.. but what we want.  Look  forward to seeing all you Raider folks in Huntingburg!

The biggest things Linton lost from 2017...    Keaton Cox at QB was our playmaker.  I think it's safe to say he truly won a couple three games on his ability alone.  He got a serious shoulder injury early in 2nd half against Ritter that kept him out of a few games... and he would have racked up huge numbers in those games as well.  I was glad he got to get back into action in the late stages of the season and the sectional games.   Chance Howard was our defensive stopper at ILB.  ILB is an important spot.  Chance moved there his senior year from DT/NG where he really liked playing.  Still, he was all over the field for us and will be  hard to replace.  Levi Jerrells was a multi year starter at T and DT at 6'2 230 was one of our biggest forces inside.  Those 3 were really key to Linton success not just in last year but in prior years-- Cox was a starter in both state final games..and was Howard.  They did not take losing well.  

But we did have other seniors who played their roles.. unfortunately injuries limited several of them last year... as mentoned Warnock (who was a big kid 6'0 275) never got cleared medically because of a back problem.  Gretlein (Another big kid at 5'10 270) was expected to start at DT all year...and did for a handful of games.. but injuries sidelined him twice, including the sectionals.   I do have to give love tho to Dreyden Ward-- who was a SE/OLB, but who also came in at QB when Cox went down.  Ward himself missed a handful of games as well--- including the Southridge sectional.  Braiden Irish started at TE all year, and became a decent kicker at the end of the year.  Trevor Hill started on the Oline most all of the year as well.  Braxton Robinson played a lot of DE, Ryan Figg was an Academic all-state kid who started both sides of the ball on the line as well.   Daymeon Alsmon got time early on the DL when we had injuries all around us.  

So while we can say most these players are replaceable.. gotta remember how much they did contribute.  While I do agree there were way too many mistakes made and it seemed no matter how hard the efforts to correct them... they still happened as the season wore on... And that is something the coaching staff really had to deal with.   One thing that injuries did do was force some younger kids out on the field against good opponents...and we did get some rewards out of that.  Rewards we hope to see pan out this year and next!   9 sophomores and 2 freshmen were active in the offense and or defense for most of the year.   And even more of last year's freshman are making some noise as sophomores in camp this year...  I think all the kids realize that our schedule isn't going to allow for taking it easy at any time.  I hear that the summer and off season workouts went very well.  Linton will be in shape.. that's for sure!

Posted (edited)

Good to see some people posting on this topic.  I agree with Miner Pride that the Miners WILL be in shape.  They always are.  I recall past games (even early in a season) when the Miners would be looking like the game just started in the fourth quarter and their opponents were gasping for air before halftime.  There will be several key pieces to replace this season (on both sides of the ball).  And I agree that some underclassmen got some valuable playing time last year.  I hope they are ready to step into the spotlight on Friday nights and accept the challenge of this newer schedule.  This is the fourth year in a row that the Miners will be playing a state champion.  Southridge has ALWAYS been a solid program.  They are one of the few area teams I have always been hoping the Miners could schedule.  I know they graduated their quarterback but that stud running back (sorry I don't recall his name) is returning.  It will be a great test to start the season (and on the road).  Toss in Monrovia, Ritter, Providence, and Sullivan and those games will tell you how good the Miners will be this season.  I still wonder who the Miners will have starting at quarterback this year.  I am thinking it will be Dyer.  Then again, it would be nice to have him at a wingback as well.  Lots of speed.  It's getting closer!!!

Edited by itiswhatitis

Key returnees:   

Jr Lance Dyer-  WB/S;   114-904 7 TD rushing; 13-211-3 receiving; 2-2-40 passing;  51 tackles.  Lance had 231 rushing against NK when Cox was out with injury at  QB.  Had 2 other 100+ yard rushing games.  Had an ankle injury late in the season that hampered him. He started season at CB but took over S when Cox was injured, and stayed there the rest of the season. He has playmaking moves of Tyler Meurer!

Jr Luke Lannan- WB/LB; 59-277 1 Rush;  7-131 rec;  50 Tackles;   Luke started strong  on both sides at OLB and WB-- but was sick against Ritter...and found he had Mono.  Missed 4 games.  Came back with 116 rush yards vs N.Posey in sectional win.                                                              

Sr Drake Cunningham- RB/ILB- 29-152-3 TD; 81 Tackles;  Drake got a couple series per game at RB spelling Chance Howard.  Started at ILB.  Drake has been in military boot camp all summer.

Jr Devyn Robertson- SE/CB 9-111 -1 Rec;  Youngster got a shot when Ward was out with injury...and had a couple big receptions, including game winner against Sullivan.  A basketball kid who can leap.  Missed most of 2nd half of year with broken arm suffered in practice.

Jr Cash Howard- WB/OLB 46-266 4 TD Rush; 5-78 Rec. 64 Tackles;  Another kid who stepped up when injuries hit to Lannan.  Stepped in at both his positions, and held his own.  When Lannan came back we now had some depth.

Jr Dylan Smith- SE/CB  Had an injury most the year that kept him off field, but late in season became a starter at SE as well as some CB as Robertson had broken arm.

Soph- Gavin House- WB/CB   26 tackles as Freshman who came in when Cox went down against Cardinal Ritter in 2nd half. Not a pleasant task, but he was a gamer, and went on to start most games the remainder of the year.

Jr Avery Puckett  TE/DE   Not a starter, but as the season progressed, he appeared in more spread formations and made a couple excellent down field catches in traffic and took a couple good pops.  at 6'2 165 as a soph he looks to have some size much needed at TE.  He caught the 2 point conversion that won the game for Linton against North Posey in sectional.

Jr Matthew Ketchum- Started at Center every game his soph year

Soph Vedder Rogers-  T/DT   As a freshman came in when injuries took out starter and backup early in year and stayed at DT most of the year. 15 tackles.  6'1 210 as a frosh...

Sr Ben Burris  G/DE  38 tackles.  Part of a DE rotation all year as junior, and a starter on the offensive line most of the season as well.  Like Cunningham... Ben has always been in Military Boot Camp this summer.

Jr Tyler Mongeau  G/DE   Another sophomore who ended up playing a lot due to injuries as the season progressed.  Ended up started on the Oline by sectionals.  at 6'2" 185 as a soph, if he puts in some work in the weight room, he could be a force in the  trenches.

Sr  Chase Howard  NT   Unfortunately for both Chase, and his brother Cash-- they don't have the size of their older brother Chance Howard.  But they do all share the intensity on the field.  Chase came in at NT on 5 fronts at 5'6 120 something.. and more often than not-- disrupted backfields.  It was he who essentially caused the Sullivan fumble at the 1 to save a victory.  Word is that he put it a alot of work off season, and will find a way to be on the field this fall.

These are just the kids that contributed varsity wise last year.  Plenty of Freshmen and Sophs hit the field on special teams, and got some attention via their physical play as well as JV games.   Trevor Dyer, Lance's brother, could play a role at OLB and WB, Trey Goodman looked good as JV QB, with some size... he might get some time now and then with the O.  Dalton Smith and Chase Howard made moves to the O line for depth and opportunity, Kole Padgett will be a Senior looking to get his shot.  Aiden Keen, Austin Bohnert, Landon and Damien Giles are but a few of last year's Frosh class that I am hearing positive things about as well.   Hunter Boldrey, Clay Hauser, Gabe Eslinger, Kaulin Padgett, Caleb Clark even more names to watch.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I know they graduated their quarterback but that stud running back (sorry I don't recall his name) is returning.  

I still wonder who the Miners will have starting at quarterback this year.  I am thinking it will be Dyer.  Then again, it would be nice to have him at a wingback as well.  Lots of speed.  It's getting closer!!!

That would be #8.... Tucker Schank...  who will always go down in Southridge lore at the Raider who scored the tying TD, and Caught the 2 point conversion to bring the trophy to Huntingburg!   That young QB they will be starting could be a monster!  We get him early.. but still...6'4, multi D-1 offers in multi -sports!   NOt to mention both of their ILB's back (Seger and Calvert)

Sure looked like Dyer was the main man at QB in the scrimmage footage... But.. Goodman also got a lot of reps too.   I know that passing will be of focus for Linton this year.. we know we have to have a better passing attack.. if that happens.. oh boy!

34 minutes ago, Miner Pride said:

We get him early.. but still...6'4, multi D-1 offers in multi -sports!

He's a heck of a player, but to my knowledge he doesn't have any D1 offers yet, does he?    They are coming eventually though.  His biggest challenge might be deciding what he wants to play.  Great problem to have...

41 minutes ago, Captain Cabinets said:

He's a heck of a player, but to my knowledge he doesn't have any D1 offers yet, does he?    They are coming eventually though.  His biggest challenge might be deciding what he wants to play.  Great problem to have...

Just read an article in Courier Press about him... DOn't know if it's a misprint about football D-1.. but he is a 17.7 avg scorer in bball..and a key to their state final baseball team! 

“I’m looking forward to it a lot,” Montgomery said. “All these guys are coming off a state championship and have a lot of experience. They’re good guys to be around and will help me a lot this year.” Much has already been made about his potential in basketball and baseball, where he’s a high-major Division-I prospect.

What about the gridiron?

“We’ve had a few colleges, more D-1s than anything, stop by this past offseason,” Buening said. “They talk about how he certainly passes the eye test and the unteachable things like his height and arm strength. He’s just got a lot of physical abilities you just can’t coach. On top of that, he has great composure. He’s very competitive; hates to lose more than he likes to win. Those are all things you like to see in your quarterback.”

48 minutes ago, Miner Pride said:

Just read an article in Courier Press about him... DOn't know if it's a misprint about football D-1.. but he is a 17.7 avg scorer in bball..and a key to their state final baseball team! 

“I’m looking forward to it a lot,” Montgomery said. “All these guys are coming off a state championship and have a lot of experience. They’re good guys to be around and will help me a lot this year.” Much has already been made about his potential in basketball and baseball, where he’s a high-major Division-I prospect.

What about the gridiron?

“We’ve had a few colleges, more D-1s than anything, stop by this past offseason,” Buening said. “They talk about how he certainly passes the eye test and the unteachable things like his height and arm strength. He’s just got a lot of physical abilities you just can’t coach. On top of that, he has great composure. He’s very competitive; hates to lose more than he likes to win. Those are all things you like to see in your quarterback.”

They definitely have high interest, but no official scholarship offers yet that I'm aware of that you mentioned.  Again, it's only a matter of time! 

5 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Good to see some people posting on this topic.  I agree with Miner Pride that the Miners WILL be in shape.  They always are.  I recall past games (even early in a season) when the Miners would be looking like the game just started in the fourth quarter and their opponents were gasping for air before halftime.  There will be several key pieces to replace this season (on both sides of the ball).  And I agree that some underclassmen got some valuable playing time last year.  I hope they are ready to step into the spotlight on Friday nights and accept the challenge of this newer schedule.  This is the fourth year in a row that the Miners will be playing a state champion.  Southridge has ALWAYS been a solid program.  They are one of the few area teams I have always been hoping the Miners could schedule.  I know they graduated their quarterback but that stud running back (sorry I don't recall his name) is returning.  It will be a great test to start the season (and on the road).  Toss in Monrovia, Ritter, Providence, and Sullivan and those games will tell you how good the Miners will be this season.  I still wonder who the Miners will have starting at quarterback this year.  I am thinking it will be Dyer.  Then again, it would be nice to have him at a wingback as well.  Lots of speed.  It's getting closer!!!

Thanks for the compliment- but AREA is kinda stretching it !! That road trip last year was a bear- ugh 

8 hours ago, Miner Pride said:

Key returnees:   

Jr Avery Puckett  TE/DE   Not a starter, but as the season progressed, he appeared in more spread formations and made a couple excellent down field catches in traffic and took a couple good pops.  at 6'2 165 as a soph he looks to have some size much needed at TE.  He caught the 2 point conversion that won the game for Linton against North Posey in sectional.

Jr Tyler Mongeau  G/DE   Another sophomore who ended up playing a lot due to injuries as the season progressed.  Ended up started on the Oline by sectionals.  at 6'2" 185 as a soph, if he puts in some work in the weight room, he could be a force in the  trenches.

I can tell you right now...Puckett and Mongeau are a LOT bigger than those listed sizes. Puckett looks a lot thicker, especially in the legs. Mongeau I would guess goes at least 210-215, maybe more. And he looks taller than 6-2.

7 hours ago, Miner Pride said:

What about the gridiron?

Too bad we don't have a couple of "our" baseball players playing quarterback.

18 hours ago, jets said:

Thanks for the compliment- but AREA is kinda stretching it !! That road trip last year was a bear- ugh 

I call 'em like I see 'em Jets.  Southridge is a great program.  Not only a great program, but they have great fans.  I would put them in with Monrovia and Ritter.  As a fan it's one thing to lose a game, but it gets softened a bit when you have other great fans to talk football with.  Sounds like the Raiders will be loaded again.  (I second the "ugh" but not for the road trip)  As far as area goes, it is difficult to find good competition near Linton.  Sullivan is 15 - 20 minutes away but other than that, it is tough to schedule other good teams close by.  Since you guys are in the southern part of the state, I guess I have to call that "area".  LOL  It's great to have you guys on the schedule now, win or lose.  For years Linton got beat up because of their SOS.  These days, that can't be said.  As I said in another post, this will be the fourth year in a row that the Miners will play a defending state champion.  What a way to start a season!

Okay Linton fans.....practice has to have started.  Who is getting most of the reps at QB?

9 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Okay Linton fans.....practice has to have started.  Who is getting most of the reps at QB?

At Monday's practice Dyer and Goodman pretty much split reps. And as Pride already mentioned both got reps in the scrimmages with North Vermillion and Southmont.

When they were going 11-on-11 late in practice Goodman threw a couple nice deep balls straight up the middle to Robertson. One of those Robertson made a pretty amazing leaping catch.

Ollie is non-committal. "Every position is open and every position is being evaluated." Coachspeak.

Now I know coaches at small-school programs often put their best, most athletic playmaker behind center – to get the ball in his hands every snap. Witness Meurer, Cox, Caleb Hamilton, et.al.

Then again, Ollie also said, "Our goal as a coaching staff is to put our 11 best players out on the field." If Goodman happens to be one of those 11 – and if he can really play – it could be an explosive combo with Goodman at QB and Dyer at WB.

On a distressing note: Lannan hasn't been medically cleared to play yet. He was on the sidelines yesterday, a de-facto student manager. Coaches aren't saying what the medical problem is.