Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×

Jasper is my preseason pick but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Boonville challenge for the B8 title.  

I think it will be a huge challenge for any of these teams to win a sectional.  But anything is possible in high school sports  

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2018 at 11:08 PM, WhoDat said:

Jasper is my preseason pick but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Boonville challenge for the B8 title.  

I think it will be a huge challenge for any of these teams to win a sectional.  But anything is possible in high school sports  

Yes, I would expect Jasper to be the consensus pick as usual, simply because you know what you're getting . Boonville has a lot to prove IMO. They should be better but I don't know about challenging the Cats. Mount Carmel is always a team to watch for, especially after a down year. I expect Vincennes to compete as well. 

Edited by SEAL_63

Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2018 at 10:05 PM, Alices32 said:

Any word on how Vincennes will be this year? 

Not real sure what to expect from Coach Salters and company in 2018. One would probably anticipate a drop off after losing a great senior class, including two D1 skill players and some of their best linemen. That may be the case in some facets of their game. They do however return several key contributors at WR, RB, OL, and DB positions. The biggest question for me will be spots on the defensive front 7. 

What I don't expect to see is a total collapse like we've seen in the past, following a successful campaign the previous year. There were encouraging signs last season, from a fundamental standpoint in particular, that lead me believe that it wasn’t a fluke because of talent. I have full confidence this coaching staff can produce a winning season in 2018. 

One thing I know for sure is that for the first time in over a decade, numbers are on the rise. Rumor has it they will be able to field a freshman team again which is UGE. There is a lot of enthusiasm running through the program right now! 

Edited by SEAL_63
  • Upvote 1

I was going to go check out their scrimmage last night with North Posey to see how they looked, but found out that it got cancelled for some reason.

I'm confident they will be better than others expect for the second year in a row. They may not have the explosive playmakers they had last year in Toole and Kotter, but from what I hear, they have some solid pieces returning and along with a handful of newcomers who will contribute.

Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2018 at 11:13 AM, Alices32 said:

I was going to go check out their scrimmage last night with North Posey to see how they looked, but found out that it got cancelled for some reason.

I'm confident they will be better than others expect for the second year in a row. They may not have the explosive playmakers they had last year in Toole and Kotter, but from what I hear, they have some solid pieces returning and along with a handful of newcomers who will contribute.

Yes I agree. As talented as last year's seniors were, it wasn't a huge class. Many juniors and some sophomores saw a lot of varsity action and performed well when called upon. It’s a good returning core of players no doubt. 

And while I have a lot of optimism about the current coaching staff, it’s still only their second season at the helm. It will be interesting to see how well they adjust their schemes and game plans and how well younger players develop. Until then, it's hard to know what to expect on a yearly basis from the program.

Edited by SEAL_63

Got a couple new upperclassmen to come out and play. They were basketball kids. Looking at some new athletes at WR and DB. There was another position or two they're slotted to play but it escapes my mind. Numbers back on the rise which is huge. It helps when the kids like and respect the coaches. 

I like what we have in our starting RB

He's going to be good. 

Still a little worried on Combs but kid does make good decisions with the ball.

16 hours ago, Big8Football said:

Got a couple new upperclassmen to come out and play. They were basketball kids. Looking at some new athletes at WR and DB. There was another position or two they're slotted to play but it escapes my mind. Numbers back on the rise which is huge. It helps when the kids like and respect the coaches. 

He's going to be good. 

Who is our starting RB?

On 7/15/2018 at 2:51 AM, Big8Football said:

He's going to be good. 

Always a good sign when a coach can get the best athletes to come out. Salters was able to do the same last season when he got the Fortune kid to play for the first time. He was another "basketball only guy" who was a good addition at WR opposite of Kotter.

I believe the starting RB in 2018 will be Haislip. The guy has all the physical gifts and seems to have a good work ethic. As a sophomore he was a little timid to run between the tackles but I expect that to change. 

As for Evan Combs, he's a really sharp kid who probably throws as good a ball as Toole IMO, but is the exact opposite when it comes to mobility. He will need some good protection up front as well as protection from the run game. His biggest varsity sample was a start against North Knox in 2017. I thought he played well and that was without a healthy Kotter on the field. I think it's imperative that Lincoln be more balanced in 2018 and I expect they be will given what is returning at RB.  

Posted (edited)

New helmets for VL this season. Up to this point, they were the only Big 8 team that still used white helmets. 

D0D8EE26-0272-4670-9A7A-620C812C3158.jpeg

Edited by SEAL_63

10 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

New helmets for VL this season. Up to this point, they were the only Big 8 team that still used white helmets. 

D0D8EE26-0272-4670-9A7A-620C812C3158.jpeg

Princeton's helmets are white. 

5 hours ago, TitanPride said:

Princeton's helmets are white. 

My mistake. Princeton did have red helmets up until a few years ago.

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2018 at 2:37 PM, Titan44 said:

image.thumb.png.b6a9f84c77567ee8f5f7b4b98a891085.png

My personal expectations for the conference:

I agree with the 3 teams Cal preps has at the top, except in no particular order. Jasper, Vincennes, and Boonville should all compete well with each other. 

- If I had to choose a champion now, the safe pick is Jasper, despite them losing some valuable skill players to graduation. From what little I've read about them in other threads, they do return a good group of veteran linemen on both sides of the ball. I've not heard of any standout players to watch for, although they usually reload across the roster for the most part. Plus, they very rarely go two consecutive years without a conference title. Seeing as they finished 2nd last season, I'd say the odds favor the Cats. Hope I'm wrong :)

Vincennes basically returns everyone on offense not named Toole or Kotter from last year's conference champion team. Senior Evan Combs looks to be the projected starter at QB, and the limited 7 on 7 film that I've seen looks promising. The questions for me will mostly be on the defensive side where they will have to replace a couple LBs and DT/DEs. This is still a veteran ball club with the same expectations as last season. One thing that will be an improvement over last season for sure is the number of bodies on the sideline. This should be the biggest team in quite some time for the Alices. I'm anxious to see if Coach Salters and Co. can build off of what they achieved in 2017. 

-Boonville has the most to prove of anyone in the conference IMO.  After three good, but not great, seasons under 4th year coach Darrin Ward, 2018 could be a breakout year. The Pioneers will feature one of the best RBs, if not the best, in the Big 8 in Luke Connor. They also look to be very big up front. I think they can easily improve on last year's (3-3) conference record. 

-Mt. Carmel was in a rebuilding year in 2017 under first year coach Michael Brewer, a year in which they were pummeled by Jasper and VL and lost to Princeton and Mt. Vernon. Granted, they were without a D1 player who was lost to injuries, but the team overall just looked bad. I'm going to say the Aces will be better than that in 2018, but it'd be stretch for me to predict a top 3 finish. If it were Darren Peach still leading the team, I would be a little more confident. Not sure what to expect with a new coach though.

-Out of Mt. Vernon, Princeton, and Washington, I think the Hatchets might the one that surprises some with a jump to the middle of the pack. They seemed to improve as the 2017 season went along with a pretty young group that had some athletic skill players. I could see them building off of that. 

Edited by SEAL_63

3 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

My personal expectations for the conference:

I agree with the 3 teams Cal preps has at the top, except in no particular order. Jasper, Vincennes, and Boonville should all compete well with each other. 

- If I had to choose a champion now, the safe pick is Jasper, despite them losing some valuable skill players to graduation. From what little I've read about them in other threads, they do return a good group of veteran linemen on both sides of the ball. I've not heard of any standout players to watch for, although they usually reload across the roster for the most part. Plus, they very rarely go two consecutive years without a conference title. Seeing as they finished 2nd last season, I'd say the odds favor the Cats. Hope I'm wrong :)

Vincennes basically returns everyone on offense not named Toole or Kotter from last year's conference champion team. Senior Evan Combs looks to be the projected starter at QB, and the limited 7 on 7 film that I've seen looks promising. The questions for me will mostly be on the defensive side where they will have to replace a couple LBs and DT/DEs. This is still a veteran ball club with the same expectations as last season. One thing that will be an improvement over last season for sure is the number of bodies on the sideline. This should be the biggest team in quite some time for the Alices. I'm anxious to see if Coach Salters and Co. can build off of what they achieved in 2017. 

-Boonville has the most to prove of anyone in the conference IMO.  After three good, but not great, seasons under 4th year coach Darrin Ward, 2018 could be a breakout year. The Pioneers will feature one of the best RBs, if not the best, in the Big 8 in Luke Connor. They also look to be very big up front. I think they can easily improve on last year's (3-3) conference record. 

-Mt. Carmel was in a rebuilding year in 2017 under first year coach Michael Brewer, a year in which they were pummeled by Jasper and VL and lost to Princeton and Mt. Vernon. Granted, they were without a D1 player who was lost to injuries, but the team overall just looked bad. I'm going to say the Aces will be better than that in 2018, but it'd be stretch for me to predict a top 3 finish. If it were Darren Peach still leading the team, I would be a little more confident. Not sure what to expect with a new coach though.

-Out of Mt. Vernon, Princeton, and Washington, I think the Hatchets might the one that surprises some with a jump to the middle of the pack. They seemed to improve as the 2017 season went along with a pretty young group that had some athletic skill players. I could see them building off of that. 

Very surprising that Mt. Carmel had that poor of a year last year I wouldn't expect that of them regardless of Coach. I think this is a two horse (Vincennes and Jasper) race at the top with a bunch of blowouts. Big 8 seems to be very top heavy this year. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

My mistake. Princeton did have red helmets up until a few years ago.

I don't remember the  red. How many years did they wear red?  Maybe ptown Pete can tell us. I thought they were white in the 80s and 90s.

GS wore white under Jack Jewell then maroon starting when McIntosh took over, and under Obermeier, and Stefanich. Then Hart went back to white.

I personally like the current white with block GS logo the best.

52 minutes ago, Titan76 said:

I don't remember the  red. How many years did they wear red?  Maybe ptown Pete can tell us. I thought they were white in the 80s and 90s.

GS wore white under Jack Jewell then maroon starting when McIntosh took over, and under Obermeier, and Stefanich. Then Hart went back to white.

I don't remember exact years but I am thinking around 2010-2011? I think they might of even had one year with black but that might of been a few game thing like the candy-striped pants. 

9 hours ago, Titan76 said:

I know for a fact they had red in the early to mid 2000’s. Got film to prove it. I just always think of Princeton having the red helmets. I do like the current white with the large red tiger decals. I like GS style as well. I just think it was time for VL to make a switch to something else. They’ve had the same white helmets with the same V decals since before Mike Hidde started in 1990.