Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
football dog

Getts resigns as Crawfordsville football coach

I guess it is all about the assistants and what they wanted. Yes, very interesting.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Is it just me or does it seem like we have heard  this same story repeat itself time and time again?

What does it say about a football program that has no assistant coaches lined up 3 weeks before practice begins?

What does it say about an athletic department that cannot fill these positions?

What does it say about football in general when the new coach says he has to go out and "recruit" the kids?  Has everybody jumped ship?  Head Coach?  Assistants?  AD?  Student athletes?  

This is the type of situation that ultimately can lead to total program shutdown.  I'm sure Crawfordsville isn't the only school experiencing these issues.  

I would like to see the IHSAA step in and set some minimum participation guidelines and take more control of situations like these.  Trouble is brewing in the heartland.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I bet if you look into this you will find some other programs that are not wanting to share athletes. I could be wrong, but I bet I am not. You know don't play football you will get hurt for fill in the blank. 

To be a football coach, it’s a major time requirement when you include meetings, film sessions and summer workouts,” Barton said. “I think many of the staff members from previous years will come back to serve on the staff because there probably won’t be as much of the demand from the time standpoint and it probably won’t be quite as strenuous. And I think there probably were some philosophical differences that kept them from wanting to fulfill that role. I think it’s all just philosophical and time.”

Sounds like Coach Getts, who has a blue collar work ethic ( 2 sectional titles at Belmont) couldn't get the rest of the staff on board.   There are certain elements required to compete at championship level.   From Admins down to families, all must share the same vision for success.   

Wish Coach Getts a very restful fall!!   Hopefully he gets scooped up again!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm guesing he's done.   Why bother. Not worth the stipend. Much easier to coast into retirement with the PE job and let somebody else deal with all the headaches.  

Sounds like he saw the writing on the wall and just decided to chuck it. Really can't blame him given the total lack of support at all levels. 

Wow, seems like there are several people here who know the whole story and understand how everything went down with this situation. Better for one to be thought a fool than to open his mouth and prove it. 

• Upvote 1

I think everyone is just going by what the article said. Pretty much about the assistant coaches not the players. No need to prove it. Getts has a proven track record. I'm pretty sure there are a few here that could say what went down. As a fan do you know, or what you were told? I'm pretty sure Coach Getts will coach again. No desire to retire from what I was told. As far as proving it, I'm pretty sure Coach Getts has plenty of text messages from the players to prove whose a fool.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Good Luck to Coach Getts in whatever he decided to do. Philosophical differences can be tricky. Just might not have been the right fit at the time.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, WCGrad92 said:

Good Luck to Coach Getts in whatever he decided to do. Philosophical differences can be tricky. Just might not have been the right fit at the time.

Running a 1930's offense, with a program that has had lots of trouble getting players/athletes to come out and participate, and then winning 2 games in 2 years, likely didn't help his cause.

And then losing ALL of your assistants (who seemingly now are all coming back to coach with the new/old coach) doesn't show very well either.

My gut tells me that numbers were way down and there was a chance of not even fielding a team.  Can anyone elaborate on how many kids were out and showing up to workouts?  A low number may have forced the administrations hand to do something.  And the fact of not having a coaching staff.

• Upvote 1

I was told at the ALL athlete conditioning days they were averaging 25-30 and some days as low as 17. That was TOTAL athletes. So numbers are down in all sports when it comes to conditioning and summer workouts.

Posted (edited)

I never could quite understand how C'Ville could field such a great baseball team, a great swim program, and an above average basketball team (most seasons), but could barely get a football team on the field.  Never quite made sense to me.

Edited by SicEm
Forgot to add swimming

26 minutes ago, SicEm said:

I never could quite understand how C'Ville could field such a great baseball team, a great swim program, and an above average basketball team (most seasons), but could barely get a football team on the field.  Never quite made sense to me.

Football is not for everyone, or every school.  Indiana high school football would be much stronger if it contracted by 50 to 60 schools.  250-260 schools playing varsity football is the optimum number.  

2 hours ago, cw13 said:

I was told at the ALL athlete conditioning days they were averaging 25-30 and some days as low as 17. That was TOTAL athletes. So numbers are down in all sports when it comes to conditioning and summer workouts.

Sad. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2018 at 6:16 PM, cw13 said:

I guess it is all about the assistants and what they wanted. Yes, very interesting.

Or maybe the Head Coach doesn't know how to treat people.

11 hours ago, cw13 said:

Programs at Wayne and Bellmont were all on the way down after the coach was there. No one to coach with him!

On 7/9/2018 at 8:13 PM, cw13 said:

I think everyone is just going by what the article said. Pretty much about the assistant coaches not the players. No need to prove it. Getts has a proven track record. I'm pretty sure there are a few here that could say what went down. As a fan do you know, or what you were told? I'm pretty sure Coach Getts will coach again. No desire to retire from what I was told. As far as proving it, I'm pretty sure Coach Getts has plenty of text messages from the players to prove whose a fool.

Good story!

Edited by football dog
  • Upvote 1

Sounds like a difficult situation all the way round. 

I have always had a lot of respect for Coach Getts and the programs he coached at Wayne and Bellmont when I was up in Fort Wayne. We played some intense Columbia City-Bellmont games in that time period. I always admired how he would have his 3A Bellmont teams competitive in a conference with 4A and 6A teams, and then often go on a run in the playoffs. Best of luck in the future Coach. 

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

"“I think many of the staff members from previous years will come back to serve on the staff because there probably won’t be as much of the demand from the time standpoint and it probably won’t be quite as strenuous."

That looks like the head coach wanted to put more time in than the assistants.  

Ooh, a downvote.  Someone help me out on my reading comprehension skills, Downvoteman!

Edited by panamabob
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1