Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Fine Print

Mishawaka to NLC

Penn might drop MHS as punishment for leaving The NIC.  

These things happen.  

3 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Penn might drop MHS as punishment for leaving The NIC.  

These things happen.  

Nah. Too tough to fill out a schedule as an independent. 

2 minutes ago, AverageAmericanMale said:

Nah. Too tough to fill out a schedule as an independent. 

Mishawaka will have lots of options.  They will have 7 guaranteed NLC games and 2 n on cons.  They have developed a nice non con relationship with the DAC.  Marian and St Joe are natural rivals and excellent non con options.  New Prairie is another.  Penn may be the biggest gate, but might not fit Mishawaka's scheduling strategy moving forward.  

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Indian72 said:

With the changing of Clay Middle to an IB K-8 grade school and the clsoing of Brown Middle Clay is losing 2 feeder schools

I can see it being a specialty high school with no athelics ( Fine Arts, Technical)

Yes I believe Gary did the same thing with Wirt HS in the early 2000s changing it to that type of school and as far as a couple years ago when I drove by it the school was still operating at some capacity.

You have to wonder if the south bend schools find themselves in a situation where they are left out in the cold together because they are a package deal for conference they are in. The gulf between schools in this conference has been widened with this move and I could see New Prairie maybe coming west and joining the Northwest Crossroads if the NLC sticks with 8. And if Bremen really wants to join the HNAC they may get a prime opportunity to join up if the program at Caston remains unviable. 

I agree with an earlier sentiment that it sure will be entertaining to watch the dominoes fall now. 

Edited by silvertone1696

Driven T .... you got the magic words ... scheduling strategy!

Mishawaka can strategize on on the non conference games.

Penn really is on an island of their own and no place to go. 

What does Mishawaka really have to gain, or prove, anymore by playing Penn?  

A 4A school with 1400 students vs a 6A school with 3200.  Why bother?  MHS will have plenty of in season competition against its new NLC opponents and wont need Penn to prepare themselves for the postseason.  Gone will be all the meaningless games against the SBSC schools.  

Mishawaka has lived under the long shadow of Penn for long enough.  I see them moving on and starting a new chapter.  

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

Mishawaka will have lots of options.  They will have 7 guaranteed NLC games and 2 n on cons.  They have developed a nice non con relationship with the DAC.  Marian and St Joe are natural rivals and excellent non con options.  New Prairie is another.  Penn may be the biggest gate, but might not fit Mishawaka's scheduling strategy moving forward.  

Penn won’t drop Mishawaka. 

This is looking like a shift towards independence for Penn in football at the very least. New Prairie wants out. South Bend will likely lose a high school for athletics in the future (they should drop two). Bremen and Glenn are in no man’s land. Marian probably  wants out considering they were the impetus behind adding more schools and creating two divisions to distance themselves from the larger schools. 

I can also see Penn and Elkhart joining the DAC, they all play one another in many non football sports already. Yeah, distance *%#!?*s driving through the snowbelt and time zone change, but for those two it is reasonable. None of the DAC schools are currently bringing fans in droves with them anyway, maybe MC and then next LaPorte. Penn has had an open invite to join the DAC for years, so if they wanted they could get in, the extra 20 minute drive on the toll road would make it almost two hours between Lake Central and Elkhart. Still not a deal breaker. I know the lake county DAC school teams travel up and down 65  or across 30 to the Warsaw in other sports. 

MC and LaPorte have no reason financially or for competitive reasons to join the NIC, even with some of those schools closer than Crown Point or Lake Central. 

Penn and EC would be better served to join the SAC than the DAC. Much better overall competition and they take their football much more seriously in Fort Wayne than they do in The Region

The SAC produces much better athletes - talent than the DAC does. And it sits in prime recruiting ground between ND, OSU, MSU and UM. Great place for Penn and EC athletes to get maximum exposure. 

Penn would see Snider, Homestead, Caroll, Dwenger and Luers every year.  

That beats the crap out of what the DAC currently has to offer. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Penn and EC would be better served to join the SAC than the DAC. Much better overall competition and they take their football much more seriously in Fort Wayne than they do in The Region

The SAC produces much better athletes - talent than the DAC does. And it sits in prime recruiting ground between ND, OSU, MSU and UM. Great place for Penn and EC athletes to get maximum exposure. 

Penn would see Snider, Homestead, Caroll, Dwenger and Luers every year.  

That beats the crap out of what the DAC currently has to offer. 

Yeah, but that’s too much of a hike to take on if the DAC is option. I think they need each other. The thought of going independent for football may sound intriguing, but that’s a scheduling nightmare for the AD. The DAC needs Penn to remind them how to play football. Maybe Penn winning the Duneland every year would put a fire into the bellies of some of those dormant programs. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It's not Penn's problem that the DAC has given up on football. Penn is more likely to go independent than to align with any other conference

Penn sees itself as the "Cathedral" of the North, without the veil of Catholicism. 

Just look at their recent scheduling committments

If Penn goes independent who will they be playing?   Warren Central has week 9 open.  Most bigger schools have conference commitments.  Are they going to load up with St. Ignatius, St. Ed's, Cincy Moeller.  It could become interesting what happens with Penn and EC when they become 1 high schools.

I can see the SBCSC ending up like the Hammond public schools - on an island by themselves.  Maybe the 2 cities should form their own conference.

4 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

If Penn goes independent who will they be playing?   Warren Central has week 9 open.  Most bigger schools have conference commitments.  Are they going to load up with St. Ignatius, St. Ed's, Cincy Moeller.  It could become interesting what happens with Penn and EC when they become 1 high schools.

I can see the SBCSC ending up like the Hammond public schools - on an island by themselves.  Maybe the 2 cities should form their own conference.

From a scheduling standpoint, Penn could target several  out of state opponents (MI, OH, IL, KY) and fill out the balance against DAC, NIC, MIC, SAC schools

Something like this :

Homewood Flossmoor, IL

Center Grove

Pickerington  Central Ohio

Louisville Trinity

Cleveland St Ignatius

Cincinatti St Xavier

Brother Rice Michigan

Indianapolis Cathedral

Elkhart Central IN

7 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

From a scheduling standpoint, Penn could target several  out of state opponents (MI, OH, IL, KY) and fill out the balance against DAC, NIC, MIC, SAC schools

Something like this :

Homewood Flossmoor, IL

Center Grove

Pickerington  Central Ohio

Louisville Trinity

Cleveland St Ignatius

Cincinatti St Xavier

Brother Rice Michigan

Indianapolis Cathedral

Elkhart Central IN

It is possible but the travel, cost, fans travelling not sure they would want to do that.  Cathedral has been used to travelling and their fans follow well.  I just think it would be a night mare to schedule as an Independent.

8 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

It is possible but the travel, cost, fans travelling not sure they would want to do that.  Cathedral has been used to travelling and their fans follow well.  I just think it would be a night mare to schedule as an Independent.

Penn fans likely will not have a choice eventually. And I'm sure they would love to get the SBSC schools permanently off their schedule.  

In football right now they only play Adams

How did Penn travel for the Ben Davis series?

Back then very well.  It was a natural rivalry. 

But today Freed Field is not packed for home games like it used to be.  Penn parents will travel but vene last year at the semi-state based on what TV showed for a game like that they did not travel as well as I thought they would.

Attendance and travel are down everywhere across the state. You will always have your hyper fan base schools like Cathedral, Center Grove, Lowell, etc.   But they are few and far between

Penn has enough draw to be able to schedule up to 6 home games a year. 

I'm surprised Penn's home crowds have held up as long as they have. Their complete and total domination of the NIC over the past 25 years would have lulled most fan bases into a deep stupor

I think this Mishawaka departure will make all the NIC schools revisit their long term scheduling plans. It will have that kind of impact. 

I have a feeling the two private schools will be the next to make a move.  

11 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Attendance and travel are down everywhere across the state. You will always have your hyper fan base schools like Cathedral, Center Grove, Lowell, etc.   But they are few and far between

Penn has enough draw to be able to schedule up to 6 home games a year. 

I'm surprised Penn's home crowds have held up as long as they have. Their complete and total domination of the NIC over the past 25 years would have lulled most fan bases into a deep stupor

I think this Mishawaka departure will make all the NIC schools revisit their long term scheduling plans. It will have that kind of impact. 

I have a feeling the two private schools will be the next to make a move.  

What would you think would make sense for Marian and St. Joe?  I don't see any conferences as currently configured that make a lot of sense for them to join...

14 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Desperate times call for desperate measures.  The loss of Mishawaka is a devastating blow to the NIC.  The school was really the heart and soul of that conference.  

I don't disagree with your thoughts on Laporte and MC.  Im just suggesting that if the NIC wants to stay together, they need to make some very bold moves. Nothing should be off the table.  I would imagine that a majority of the NIC schools are assessing their options and looking for alternative homes following the Mishawaka departure announcement.  

With regards to DAC football, it aint what it used to be, and likely will continue to deteriorate.  

I agree that this move is probably leaving everyone in the NIC looking around at what the future may hold.  I feel like this move could start a chain reaction of moves within the NIC.

The DAC may be down and there may not be any clear signs that any of the 6A schools are going to make a run down to state in the near future, but that doesn't make it a bad place to be for MC and LP.

• Upvote 1

I would like to know what sports @ Mishawaka, other than football,   will be competitive in the Lakes Conference?  Many programs at Mishawaka are just plain terrible, for example golf, tennis, and soccer.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, yellowjacket said:

I would like to know what sports @ Mishawaka, other than football,   will be competitive in the Lakes Conference?  Many programs at Mishawaka are just plain terrible, for example golf, tennis, and soccer.

I have good information that the NLC invited Mishawaka only to be a doormat for the rest of the NLC powerhouses in all 19 varsity sports in which we attempt to compete.  I hope some of the "lesser" NLC schools allow us to score a point in a game/match/meet or two.  I'm not sure we should even field a baseball or wrestling team in 2020.    It all seems so hopeless....  :02_v:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Knight82 said:

What would you think would make sense for Marian and St. Joe?  I don't see any conferences as currently configured that make a lot of sense for them to join...

In my view, the best conferences in the state include a combination of both pp and public schools. It brings great competitive and cultural diversity to a conference

The SAC has Luers and Dwenger

The SIAC has Mater Dei and Memorial

The NCC has Andrean

All great, historic programs

I would like to see the NLC go after St Joe and Marian. Mishawaka may have made Marian's exclusion a conditionof their acceptance into the league. Not sure about their relationship. St Joe in the NLC would be outstanding. I see no reason why the NLC can't flex out to 10 schools.