Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Fine Print

Mishawaka to NLC

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BSUKingsmen said:

Mishawaka needs Penn a heck of a lot more than Penn needs Mishawaka.

HMM ...  I guess you did not read the tile of this thread.

Edited by Caveman
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

On 7/16/2018 at 8:33 PM, Caveman said:

HMM ...  I guess you did not read the tile of this thread.

Mishwaka does not need the NIC, but Mishawaka having Penn on their schedule helps prepare them more for tourney play than Mishawaka helping Penn prepare for tourney play.  

The rivalry will live on, just need to see how Penn works out their nc games at that time.  Maybe at that point Penn will have decided to go Independent and wont have to worry about working the Cavemen in.  

• Upvote 2

On 7/12/2018 at 10:33 PM, tommy said:

Freeby mentioned that two schools applied to fill the vacancy left by Memorial, Mishawaka and New Prairie.

Would not be surprised to see New Prairie  try to become the 7th member of the Northwest Crossroads and basically fill the spot left by Griffith when they bolted for the Greater South Shore.  It is apparent that New Prairie does not want to be in the NIC.

Not putting a ton of stock into what Freeby and Nagle offered up. Nagle mentioned that Plymouth and NorthWood have partnered up the last several years as the football power in the NLC. People that are familiar with the league know that isn’t true. Neither of those two won it last year, and NW has won the league twice in the last 15 years.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, scarletknights said:

Not putting a ton of stock into what Freeby and Nagle offered up. Nagle mentioned that Plymouth and NorthWood have partnered up the last several years as the football power in the NLC. People that are familiar with the league know that isn’t true. Neither of those two won it last year, and NW has won the league twice in the last 15 years.

Concord definitely should be mentioned when it comes to NLC football programs toward the top of the conference.  Either way, glad to have some meaningful football news.  Looking forward to our Jamboree in a few weeks.

23 minutes ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Concord definitely should be mentioned when it comes to NLC football programs toward the top of the conference.  Either way, glad to have some meaningful football news.  Looking forward to our Jamboree in a few weeks.

Concord, Northridge, Plymouth, Northwood are all solid teams.  Not sure if anyone in the NLC sees the flexbone much but I've got plenty of film on the flexbone that mishatucky runs if anyone needs it.

2 minutes ago, BSUKingsmen said:

Concord, Northridge, Plymouth, Northwood are all solid teams.  Not sure if anyone in the NLC sees the flexbone much but I've got plenty of film on the flexbone that mishatucky runs if anyone needs it.

Bart Curtis will have a huge impact on the Warsaw program in Year 1.  They just might win the conference championship.  

1 minute ago, DrivenT said:

Bart Curtis will have a huge impact on the Warsaw program in Year 1.  They just might win the conference championship.  

He's a good dude.  His son is really cool too.  I'd love to see him replace Bart someday.  I have a feeling that's kinda why Bart left was to go coach with his son who is an offensive line coach at Warsaw already.  Well that and a bigger talent pool in Warsaw.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BSUKingsmen said:

He's a good dude.  His son is really cool too.  I'd love to see him replace Bart someday.  I have a feeling that's kinda why Bart left was to go coach with his son who is an offensive line coach at Warsaw already.  Well that and a bigger talent pool in Warsaw.

Curtis' impact on the Mishawaka program was immediate.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him have the same impact at Warsaw, especially given the potential numbers advantage he will have to work with.

They could be a handful.  

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2018 at 11:34 AM, DrivenT said:

Curtis' impact on the Mishawaka program was immediate.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him have the same impact at Warsaw, especially given the potential numbers advantage he will have to work with.

They could be a handful.  

So if Bart takes advantage of his new found pool of talent, which is larger than Mishawaka's....and begins to run the NLC like Penn does the NIC, how fast will the other league members push Warsaw out.  

Seems like the NLC is ok with a big school as long as they can beat them.  Will NW, Concord, Northridge and Plymouth be ok with not winning conference titles year in and year out?  Mishawaka is already use to that situation so it shouldn't bother them too much....

Edited by Black_Gold2007

Posted (edited)
On 7/28/2018 at 3:42 PM, Black_Gold2007 said:

So if Bart takes advantage of his new found pool of talent, which is larger than Mishawaka's....and begins to run the NLC like Penn does the NIC, how fast will the other league members push Warsaw out.  

Seems like the NLC is ok with a big school as long as they can beat them.  Will NW, Concord, Northridge and Plymouth be ok with not winning conference titles year in and year out?  Mishawaka is already use to that situation so it shouldn't bother them too much....

Comparing the NIC as a whole to the NLC as a whole is like comparing apples to oranges.

The NIC's largest school to their 2nd largest has an almost 1500 student difference (until 2020).  The largest to the smallest is 2700+ difference.

The NLC's largest school to their 2nd largest is about 250.  The largest to the smallest is a difference of about 1200 students.  The smallest school in the NLC has been traditionally one of the most competitive in the conference.

Current average enrollment for the NIC is about 1300 vs about 1400 for the NLC.

Subtracting the top/bottom schools by enrollment for each conference would make the average NIC school around 1200 and the NLC around 1400.

Once Mishawaka joins the NLC and the Elkhart Schools merge at current enrollment the NIC and NLC would both be right around 1400.

I think the NLC will be just fine with a successful Warsaw program.

Edited by NRRaider2001

Warsaw has always had a big “talent pool” and have had good coaches in the past.  Warsaw’s program may improve, but they aren’t going to become the conferences best year in and year out as you claim.  

1 hour ago, lockerroomguru said:

but they aren’t going to become the conferences best year in and year out as you claim.  

You obviously aren't too familiar with Curtis and his impact on an ENTIRE community. The only way Warsaw is not a NLC power in the coming years is if the kids/parents/community don't buy into his system and how he works. I can tell you that there aren't too many people in his former stops that didn't buy into what he was selling. That guy can/will get every ounce of talent, heart, passion, pride out of his athletes; and his players (from every school he's been too) would run through a brick wall for the man. Love him or hate him, people respect him. Curtis will do his part for Warsaw, It's in the communities hands whether they take the opportunity to elevate their program to a level they've never seen before.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

Wonder if Mishawaka will keep playing city rival Marian in football?

On 8/4/2018 at 10:36 PM, indianastate33 said:

You obviously aren't too familiar with Curtis and his impact on an ENTIRE community. The only way Warsaw is not a NLC power in the coming years is if the kids/parents/community don't buy into his system and how he works. I can tell you that there aren't too many people in his former stops that didn't buy into what he was selling. That guy can/will get every ounce of talent, heart, passion, pride out of his athletes; and his players (from every school he's been too) would run through a brick wall for the man. Love him or hate him, people respect him. Curtis will do his part for Warsaw, It's in the communities hands whether they take the opportunity to elevate their program to a level they've never seen before.  

This says it all about Coach Curtis and has impact on kids and the football community where he coaches.  Warsaw could absolutely dominate the NLC if there is buy-in from "Warsaw" itself.

• Upvote 1

Curtis to Warsaw reminded me of a movie quote

Admiral Yamanmoto in Tora Tora Tora

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant ......" 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Ken Hughes said:

3 minutes ago, Ken Hughes said:

Could see Warsaw and Mishawaka dominating this conference for the next decade. 

Edited by DrivenT