Jump to content
Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
MuleDriver

Conference Indiana 2018

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Lysander said:

+100

Couldn't agree more.  It's part of the reason I love football...no AAU, no travel teams, etc.  The coaches still control the teams and playing for your high school still means something.

Nothing against travel teams, etc. in other sports but, honestly, life is a helluva lot easier as a football parent.  

Admittedly, it has a lot to do with the fact I am lazy and would rather drink a beer in the back yard during summers instead of travel halfway across the country.

Its cheaper too......cheap is good.

My brother has two daughters involved in softball and basketball at a 6A school in the Region and they are constantly on the move.  Many weekends one parent will be in one state  and the other in another at a tournament.  Its just crazy.  

I don't quite get it.  The competition doesn't seem to be that much better on the road than it is locally.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

My brother has two daughters involved in softball and basketball at a 6A school in the Region and they are constantly on the move.  Many weekends one parent will be in one state  and the other in another at a tournament.  Its just crazy.  

I don't quite get it.  The competition doesn't seem to be that much better on the road than it is locally.  

Unfortunately, that's just the way it is in most other sports.  I get it, and I'm not going to fault folks for having to do it if their kid loves the game and wants to play past high school....I'd do the same.  Actually did to a certain extent for lacrosse.

But, frankly, I was always VERY up front about telling people that part (there are a TON of other great things about HS football....as we all know) of what I thought was so great about HS football was that the coaches and the schools ran the show.  

Edit - add that we were fortunate to be part of a program that was multi-generational and the games and rivalries meant something to the greater (multi-generational) school community.  

Edited by Lysander

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

No doubt the wrong page to post this but it seems the "subject" is being discussed here.  I have a friend, who is arguably, one of the most successful people in her trade EVER in Indiana.  She put together one of the most important business transactions for the State and for the city of Indianapolis that has ever been done - a potentially transformational deal for the city and state.  I simply can't give the importance of what she did enough credit.    

Still, she is a small town Indiana person, incredibly grounded. 

If you find some fault in her....then, the problem lies with you.  Wonderful person.

She loves baseball as does her family.  Both of her kids play travel baseball - I think one is 12 and the other 14 these days.

A few weeks back she put up a series of photos from a summer travel team tournament that (I think) her 12 year old played for.  They had won a tournament in Cincinnatti (I believe...but that is somewhat irrelevant). 

The kids and coaches were flashing championship rings, literally, the size of Superbowl rings (which I have seen up close). 

I am not making this up. 

I have two kids with State Championship football rings.  One who scored a likely backbreaking defensive touchdown at LOS - which turned the game around.

The rings those 12 year olds (maybe 14, if I have her kids mixed up) won for a Summer travel baseball tournament makes the State Championship football rings my kids won look like pinkie rings.

I recognize that "its not all about rings"....and, honestly, neither of my kids care about their rings versus simply winning State.  A team goal.  Neither wore them and have left them to the safekeeping of Mom and Dad.  The next time they probably look at them is as they are cleaning out the house after either the last of my wife or I passes.

Even so, many others do care about "rings" and "trophies"....particularly if your HS, like 99% of them, isn't going to win one.

Nothing we can do about it...its a free country. 

Still...

Thank God there is no travel football.

"NASA, we have a problem."

 

Edited by Lysander
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we should open a trophy shop?

I've got a few bucks sitting around just looking for a juicy investment opportunity

:07_v:

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

Maybe we should open a trophy shop?

I've got a few bucks sitting around just looking for a juicy investment opportunity

:07_v:

 

These days, you would make a fortune. Doesn’t matter if it was a 15th place trophy or a 1st place trophy LOL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2018 at 3:46 AM, Lysander said:

No doubt the wrong page to post this but it seems the "subject" is being discussed here.  I have a friend, who is arguably, one of the most successful people in her trade EVER in Indiana.  She put together one of the most important business transactions for the State and for the city of Indianapolis that has ever been done - a potentially transformational deal for the city and state.  I simply can't give the importance of what she did enough credit.    

Still, she is a small town Indiana person, incredibly grounded. 

If you find some fault in her....then, the problem lies with you.  Wonderful person.

She loves baseball as does her family.  Both of her kids play travel baseball - I think one is 12 and the other 14 these days.

A few weeks back she put up a series of photos from a summer travel team tournament that (I think) her 12 year old played for.  They had won a tournament in Cincinnatti (I believe...but that is somewhat irrelevant). 

The kids and coaches were flashing championship rings, literally, the size of Superbowl rings (which I have seen up close). 

I am not making this up. 

I have two kids with State Championship football rings.  One who scored a likely backbreaking defensive touchdown at LOS - which turned the game around.

The rings those 12 year olds (maybe 14, if I have her kids mixed up) won for a Summer travel baseball tournament makes the State Championship football rings my kids won look like pinkie rings.

I recognize that "its not all about rings"....and, honestly, neither of my kids care about their rings versus simply winning State.  A team goal.  Neither wore them and have left them to the safekeeping of Mom and Dad.  The next time they probably look at them is as they are cleaning out the house after either the last of my wife or I passes.

Even so, many others do care about "rings" and "trophies"....particularly if your HS, like 99% of them, isn't going to win one.

Nothing we can do about it...its a free country. 

Still...

Thank God there is no travel football.

"NASA, we have a problem."

 

I know of one travel baseball tournament in Louisville that hands out championship belts to the winners. I guess strutting around with a championship belt around your shoulder or waist like a WWE wrestler is the cool thing to do now. Yet, when I was a kid, I got made fun of for doing this. My how times have changed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may not do the Pickem this year . I got behind in it last year so if anyone wants to volunteer feel free. If not i may try and make time for it. 

Interesting matchups in week 1 from most to least interesting 

Roncalli/Soutport

Bloomington South/ Brownsburg 

Castle/ Terre Haute South

Bloomington North/Greenwood

Terre Haute North/Northview

Columbus North/Franklin

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First week of 2018 in Conference Indiana 

Roncalli-Southport     I think this game will be a tossup.  Roncalli by less than a touchdown 

Bloomington South-Brownsburg     Another close one.  I’m not sold on South this year.  Brownsburg by 7

Castle-TH South    I know nothing about Castle.  South wasn’t very good last year.  Castle by 10

Bloomington North-Greenwood     Poor North.   Not much changes year to year.   G’wood by 10

TH North-Northview     North should win easily.  35 to 10

Columbus North-Franklin     North is solid.  9-2 the last two years.  Maybe not quite that good.  North 35 to 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went ahead and made a pickem in the pickem tab on the home page  i guess i can find the time to keep track this year ....... 

I virtually know nothing about the teams this year. Just a tad bit about each bloomington team.  So i am basing my picks off of tradition of the schools and somewhat off last years teams.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As we predicted it looks like CN and southport will come down to the title game when they meet. THN and THS did not look good i was wondering if either would be a factor. Both bloomington schools  wont challenge southport or cn .

Edited by MuleDriver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×