Jump to content
Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
MuleDriver

Conference Indiana 2018

Recommended Posts

Apologies if there is an existing 2018 thread somewhere. 

This conference looks like it is on it's way into possible extinction like so many we have known in the past. The SCC south central conference comes to mind . CN and BHSS and BHSN were members that currently belong to CI.   Not knowing the future of the conference it seems like every year there is talk of Terre Hautes not being attractive to other schools in the conference. Will be interesting to see how the near future unfolds. 

Top three Southport  CN and BHSS  .  Probably in that order unless some teams put in extra work in the off season . Have not heard much  in off season. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MuleDriver said:

This conference looks like it is on it's way into possible extinction like so many we have known in the past. The SCC south central conference comes to mind . CN and BHSS and BHSN were members that currently belong to CI.   Not knowing the future of the conference it seems like every year there is talk of Terre Hautes not being attractive to other schools in the conference. Will be interesting to see how the near future unfolds. 

Adding BNL and Northview would add some stability.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seymour was at one time a member of the SCC . I think they are cemented into the hcc nowadays and would probably not leave . But they have a bit of a football pedigree and would be an attractive addition to a conference that had cn bnl Btown schools  and maybe a couple others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Common sense isn’t usually around when you need it but adding C. North and the two Bloomington schools to HHC makes all kind of sense.  Geographically and traditional rivals of the past makes good sense.  It also allows any of the bottom dewellers of the HHC an opportunity to make a decision on their future and leave if it’s best for them.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Columbus North should be very solid this year. I’m sure Southport and BHSS will be as usual as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rumor around Terre Haute is that the new superintendent wants to combine North and South or build a new school on the east side and lower the enrollments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clarification please.  Combine North and South, build a new school on the east side, and lower the enrollments.  How do you lower the enrollments and maintain two high schools, which is what Terre Haute has now?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He said combine them OR build a new school.  Sounds like if the new school is built N and S would remain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks.  I reread.       Why would you combine schools?  There’s no one in that part state that would play a school of 3500.  

Three schools of 1200 makes a lot more sense.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Butter Bean said:

Thanks.  I reread.       Why would you combine schools?  There’s no one in that part state that would play a school of 3500.  

Three schools of 1200 makes a lot more sense.  

Big picture is a state title, not to play the schools around you. A lot of talent in TH.. just imagine if the 2 Columbus schools combined LOL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jsbh03 said:

combine North and South

Putting out a fire with gasoline

3 hours ago, jsbh03 said:

or build a new school on the east side and lower the enrollments.

Now there would be 3 4A schools. Works for St. George UT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The super is not interested in the impact on athletics.  Its all about finances and the best possible education environment.

Elkhart is going thru this currently with the consolidation of Memorial and Central into one 3000 plus enrollment high school.  Anderson did the same with the closing of Highland.  I believe Muncie also went thru this recently.  

A Terre Haute Central High School with 3500 students would be formidable.  

Carmel, Ben Davis and Warren Central have all proven that the mega school is "manageable" in Indiana.  Other communities  are starting to follow suit.  As these buildings age, it makes more sense to consolidate and load all the latest technology into one physical location so all students can benefit.  

City of Hammond will be building a new Hammond High School.  One or more of the other Hammond schools will eventually close (Clark/Gavit/Morton)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DrivenT said:

The super is not interested in the impact on athletics.  Its all about finances and the best possible education environment.

Elkhart is going thru this currently with the consolidation of Memorial and Central into one 3000 plus enrollment high school.  Anderson did the same with the closing of Highland.  I believe Muncie also went thru this recently.  

A Terre Haute Central High School with 3500 students would be formidable.  

Carmel, Ben Davis and Warren Central have all proven that the mega school is "manageable" in Indiana.  Other communities  are starting to follow suit.  As these buildings age, it makes more sense to consolidate and load all the latest technology into one physical location so all students can benefit.  

City of Hammond will be building a new Hammond High School.  One or more of the other Hammond schools will eventually close (Clark/Gavit/Morton)

 

 

The new Superintendent of Vigo schools is the former Elkhart Superintendent.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jsbh03 said:

The new Superintendent of Vigo schools is the former Elkhart Superintendent.  

Interesting. I'd bet on future school consolidation if I were a local Vigo County taxpayer. One centralized "school of the future" will be more cost effective and provide for a more comprehensive and inclusive learning environment for the students. 

Out of all the consolidated athletic programs (Muncie, Anderson, Hammond, Elkhart) Terre Haute might be the strongest potentially. 

Edited by DrivenT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

One centralized "school of the future" will be more cost effective and provide for a more comprehensive and inclusive learning environment for the students. 

Why is that the presumption?

8 hours ago, DrivenT said:

A Terre Haute Central High School with 3500 students would be formidable.  

Would having a super-sized HS for athletic dominance ultimately be good for the community?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Why is that the presumption?

Would having a super-sized HS for athletic dominance ultimately be good for the community?

Lake Central High School went thru a referendum several years ago and decided against splitting in to two high schools, due mainly to construction costs and the expense of fully staffing two large high schools. It costs over $200M to build a full size modern high school these days. 

Can you imagine the replacement cost for THS and THN?  

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

It costs over $200M to build a full size modern high school these days. 

I'm calling BS. It cost $54 million to build Arbor View HS in Las Vegas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

I'm calling BS. It cost $54 million to build Arbor View HS in Las Vegas.

Lake Central spent close to $150M to remodel and upgrade their school. Hammond will spend $100M to build a 4A size school. Take into account future construction costs for a 6A size school. Can't get much anymore for $50M, unless your building in the desert. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Lake Central spent close to $150M to remodel and upgrade their school. Hammond will spend $100M to build a 4A size school. Take into account future construction costs for a 6A size school. Can't get much anymore for $50M, unless your building in the desert. Lol

Links to any articles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

That better be an immaculate building. 

Boulder City HS was built for $14.7 million, at a cost of $24,500 per student: http://capitalimprovementplan.ccsd.net/1998-capital-improvement-projects/

Lake Central was built for over $39,000 per student. 

Edited by DanteEstonia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DanteEstonia said:

That better be an immaculate building. 

Boulder City HS was built for $14.7 million, at a cost of $24,500 per student. Lake Central was built for over $39,000 per student. 

Can you imagine if they started from scratch?

Coincidently, their football program has gone in the tank since they opened that beautiful new facility.  Must be bad karma.  The old football stadium was called "The Burial Grounds."  :04_v:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Can you imagine if they started from scratch?

What do you mean by "started from scratch"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

What do you mean by "started from scratch"?

Complete teardown and rebuild

 

Or, all new campus on different site.  I believe their preference was to stay in their current location.  

Edited by DrivenT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Can you imagine if they started from scratch?

Coincidently, their football program has gone in the tank since they opened that beautiful new facility.  Must be bad karma.  The old football stadium was called "The Burial Grounds."  :04_v:

I still am at a loss to figure out LC's inconsistency.  They have a huge population base to draw from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×