Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×

4 hours ago, Miner Pride said:

They only just started up at Jasonville didn't they?

I know they played Rock Creek last year.

On 8/6/2018 at 4:46 PM, SPARKS said:

Crawford picked up Jasonville Community

Is that Shakamak?

5 hours ago, Miner Pride said:

They only just started up at Jasonville didn't they?

Hell, I didn't think it even got off the ground last year.

Shakamak High School administration (AD, Supt) made it a point (to me) to emphasize "Laker Football" is in NO WAY affiliated with the school.

And now I notice Rock Creek, North Central and Crawford have scheduled them! (That I know of)

God forbid I have to start covering their games :15_v:

Ironic thing is, they had scheduled Wood last September as part of the town of Jasonville's Homecoming festivities. Wood dropped them when they found out it wasn't a "real" high school team.

1 hour ago, ts32 said:

And now I notice Rock Creek, North Central and Crawford have scheduled them! (That I know of)

NOrth CEntral is playing Jasonville community>?!?!?!?!?!   

I would guess that North Central picked them up after Wood Memorial cancelled. Not a lot of open teams with less than a month before the season starts.

13 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

Is that Shakamak?

It is NOT Shakamak. Although it is "Jasonville," the town where Shakamak is located. No affiliation with the school whatsoever. Strictly a community/club/rec team. Whatever you want to call it.

Shakamak has no intention of ever starting a football program. This is straight from the administration (the AD and the recently-retired Supt).

3 hours ago, SR1 said:

I would guess that North Central picked them up after Wood Memorial cancelled. Not a lot of open teams with less than a month before the season starts.

I'm sure anyone would rather play than have an off week.. but in a game like that matchup... it's can't be more than a JV Game at best... their starters surely would not play more than a quarter!   That score could be off the charts. 

1 minute ago, Miner Pride said:

I'm sure anyone would rather play than have an off week.. but in a game like that matchup... it's can't be more than a JV Game at best... their starters surely would not play more than a quarter!   That score could be off the charts. 

Stats should not count for season right?  I mean for state states anyway...

11 hours ago, Miner Pride said:

NOrth CEntral is playing Jasonville community>?!?!?!?!?!   

That's what the schedule on Harrell's website says.

I was up at Shakamak/Jasonville earlier today (other related duties). The cross country coaches and most of the parents I talked to weren't even aware there was a football team.

One parent whose son played last year said John Cox is still trying to round up enough players. She said right now they have seven.

I get your point though about NC scheduling JC :17_v:

12 minutes ago, Miner Pride said:

That's what I was thinking...

8 minutes ago, ts32 said:

It is NOT Shakamak. Although it is "Jasonville," the town where Shakamak is located. No affiliation with the school whatsoever. Strictly a community/club/rec team. Whatever you want to call it.

Shakamak has no intention of ever starting a football program. This is straight from the administration (the AD and the recently-retired Supt).

So the players (or at least most of them) on the Jasonville Community team attend Shakamak HS?  Or is it a separate charter-type school?

Either way, that's great.  I'm all for more HS students getting the ability to play football.

1 minute ago, oldtimeqb said:

So the players (or at least most of them) on the Jasonville Community team attend Shakamak HS?  Or is it a separate charter-type school?

Either way, that's great.  I'm all for more HS students getting the ability to play football.

It isn't a school at all.

There's a guy who played football for Dugger about 40 years ago who a few years ago started a makeshift youth league playing out of a field in Cass, a ghost town near Dugger. I think he lives in Jasonville now (not sure about that) but the guy told me the Jasonville community team has grown out of that.

I interviewed him about a year-and-a-half ago. He had big ideas about putting up lights and bleachers at Hanna Field in Jasonville (site of the first Indiana High School night football game in 1929? I think) and buying all new equipment. Of course all that takes money. And he ain't got it.

And then there's insurance....

As far as more HS students getting the opportunity to play football, any kid from Jasonville, Linton, Sullivan, Switz City, Faarmersburg, Sandborn or any of the surrounding communities has been free to go play football at Dugger if they so choose. I don't know if that has now changed now that Dugger has recently applied for IHSAA membership.

• Thanks 1

Can someone please explain the reluctance in Indiana to go to 8 man football in some of these rural areas? I grew up in Texas and over 250 high schools there play 6 man football. It's a lot of fun to watch and offers students the opportunity to play football that otherwise wouldn't exist. 30 states have some kind of reduced player football at the high school level......over 1500 high schools across the country.

It seems to me that many states have found this option helps smaller communities continue to offer football.......I'm just curious why Indiana hasn't looked at this, or maybe they have?  

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Dawgs_Dad said:

Can someone please explain the reluctance in Indiana to go to 8 man football in some of these rural areas? I grew up in Texas and over 250 high schools there play 6 man football. It's a lot of fun to watch and offers students the opportunity to play football that otherwise wouldn't exist. 30 states have some kind of reduced player football at the high school level......over 1500 high schools across the country.

It seems to me that many states have found this option helps smaller communities continue to offer football.......I'm just curious why Indiana hasn't looked at this, or maybe they have?  

There are so many teams playing 6-man ball in Texas that there are two brackets which leads to a pair of state champions in that group ... five weekends of post-season and only the top two teams from each district qualify for post-season.

57 minutes ago, NorthKnox94 said:

Stats should not count for season right?  I mean for state states anyway...

They do not.

9-15 Limitation on Competing Against Non-IHSAA Member School
No games in Association recognized sports shall be played with high schools of this state or any
other state that have been suspended from Membership in the state association or suspended
from participation in that sport. This rule does not prevent a member of the Association from
playing high schools outside of the state, nor from playing non-high school teams and nonmember
high school teams within the state, provided the following is understood:
a. their liability insurance may not cover such Contests;
b. the IHSAA cannot and will not sanction such games, nor will they be responsible for crowd
control or any damages, liabilities or injuries growing out of or in any way connected with
such events;
c. that any such games shall be included in the maximum number of Contests limitation
permitted by the IHSAA;

d. points scored, etc. shall not be kept as part of the official records of the IHSAA; and
e. there shall be no forfeiture fee if all contracts become null and void.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, SR1 said:

Thanks for looking this up...

They do not.

9-15 Limitation on Competing Against Non-IHSAA Member School
No games in Association recognized sports shall be played with high schools of this state or any
other state that have been suspended from Membership in the state association or suspended
from participation in that sport. This rule does not prevent a member of the Association from
playing high schools outside of the state, nor from playing non-high school teams and nonmember
high school teams within the state, provided the following is understood:
a. their liability insurance may not cover such Contests;
b. the IHSAA cannot and will not sanction such games, nor will they be responsible for crowd
control or any damages, liabilities or injuries growing out of or in any way connected with
such events;
c. that any such games shall be included in the maximum number of Contests limitation
permitted by the IHSAA;

d. points scored, etc. shall not be kept as part of the official records of the IHSAA; and
e. there shall be no forfeiture fee if all contracts become null and void.

Edited by NorthKnox94

22 hours ago, foxbat said:

There are so many teams playing 6-man ball in Texas that there are two brackets which leads to a pair of state champions in that group ... five weekends of post-season and only the top two teams from each district qualify for post-season.

Why aren’t there 8 man or 6 man teams?  My guess is that there is a round ball that only requires 5 players that draws too much attention in Indiana. And it can be played year round as well.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Why aren’t there 8 man or 6 man teams?  My guess is that there is a round ball that only requires 5 players that draws too much attention in Indiana. And it can be played year round as well.

Exactamundo

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

With Indiana being a bball state, it could well be the mentality that you have a basketball game for every one football starting team that doesn't take the field ... so there's less love for the idea of anything other than "traditional football."  On the other hand, in a football-first state like Texas, the idea is to find any and every way to play football ... thus the affinity for less-than-traditional football.

• Upvote 2

On 8/9/2018 at 11:00 AM, oldtimeqb said:

And as you probably well know, being from Evansville there are a lot of smaller schools - particularly and especially in Southern Indiana - that have zero interest in ever starting a football program.

I'll give you South Knox as an example. South Knox is a 2A school (in basketball) similar in enrollment to Linton, Eastern Greene and North Knox. Yet I've never heard any talk of any interest on South Knox's part in starting up a football program.

I know you'd like to see as many HS kids as possible have the chance to play football. But sometimes the school doesn't want it/can't support it. Or both.

I doubt if Loogootee or Barr-Reeve would ever have football even if those schools had the enrollment for it.

On 8/8/2018 at 11:28 AM, Miner Pride said:

Well, it looks like the Jasonville Community team is up and running now. They lost 30-0 to the North Daviess JV team Saturday.

On 7/25/2018 at 12:05 PM, Miner Pride said:

I see what you are saying.  Times have indeed changed.  I say that because I know for sure kids played injured, and with their bells rung.  Definitely recall seeing Dugger down to 11 players healthy... guys changing position mid game due to injuries... and you are correct..  in today's health conscience game--- they'd be below 11 soon enough.  I always admired them though... and always knew on each team there were a handful of kids who really could play the game..     What are the rules these days?  I know you can go to any school you want essentially.... but you have to be in that school to play on their team correct?  So a kid living in Oakland City would have to enroll in a school such at Tecumseh, or Princeton.. or Gibson Southern.. to be eligible?  That may not be an option for families.  I  can't imagine having grown in up in a community that didn't have football....  fortunately I didn't do that... but I used to think about the boys in other towns that did. 

We all admired the Dugger of old...their grittiness, toughness, playing "Ironman" football with as few as 11-14 guys.

Well, I saw the "new" Dugger Saturday, against Anderson Prep at Bulldog Field.

Dugger took the field with 14 players. And it was clear from the beginning Anderson prep had superior speed and athleticism.

Which the Anderson Prep Jets proved. Only needed five plays to score on the game's opening possession. But the Bulldogs fought back. Drove 76 yards in 16 plays. Crammed it right down their throats. Chewed up over 10 minutes of clock.

Dugger looked good - for a quarter. But they couldn't keep up. Heat cramps, a couple ankle injuries to key players and a head injury (a Dugger player got his hat knocked off on an illegal hit. It was flagged.)

And the Bulldogs were getting leveled! I was so close to the action I could almost feel the hits they were absorbing. I mean they were getting hit harder than DMo and Pierce Jackson used to hit people!

Dugger lost 46-8. Finished with 10 guys, a couple of whom were hobbling.

Anderson Prep entered with a 20-game losing streak playing a low-level 1A schedule. Winless last year, 1-9 the year before. Sagarin rating 1.57, 313th out of 321 teams in Indiana.

So it wasn't like Sullivan or Linton beating them by 40.

Dugger may wanna rethink that IHSAA thing....

7 hours ago, ts32 said:

We all admired the Dugger of old...their grittiness, toughness, playing "Ironman" football with as few as 11-14 guys.

Well, I saw the "new" Dugger Saturday, against Anderson Prep at Bulldog Field.

Dugger took the field with 14 players. And it was clear from the beginning Anderson prep had superior speed and athleticism.

Which the Anderson Prep Jets proved. Only needed five plays to score on the game's opening possession. But the Bulldogs fought back. Drove 76 yards in 16 plays. Crammed it right down their throats. Chewed up over 10 minutes of clock.

Dugger looked good - for a quarter. But they couldn't keep up. Heat cramps, a couple ankle injuries to key players and a head injury (a Dugger player got his hat knocked off on an illegal hit. It was flagged.)

And the Bulldogs were getting leveled! I was so close to the action I could almost feel the hits they were absorbing. I mean they were getting hit harder than DMo and Pierce Jackson used to hit people!

Dugger lost 46-8. Finished with 10 guys, a couple of whom were hobbling.

Anderson Prep entered with a 20-game losing streak playing a low-level 1A schedule. Winless last year, 1-9 the year before. Sagarin rating 1.57, 313th out of 321 teams in Indiana.

So it wasn't like Sullivan or Linton beating them by 40.

Dugger may wanna rethink that IHSAA thing....

Sounds like non varsity club level football. 

There are a lot of people who believe Indiana hasn’t been a Basketball state for a long time now. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Sounds like non varsity club level football. 

That's exactly what it is.

Jasonville had football up until a few years before they consolidated into Shakamak in the mid 1960's.  Problem is those former players are at best grandpas... maybe great grandpas.  Those football guys have been out of school for close to 60 years.  Shakamak has been a baseball school for the better part of the last 40 years.  Is there talent walking the halls... probably... but the current league isn't the people to get it together.

Jasonville Community football was going strong about 15 years ago when some of the area schools were fielding 2nd-8th grade teams.  It died out about 10 years ago.  Some of those boys later  played at North Central and Dugger.

The current Jasonville Community league is ran by a nice guy, who isn't capable of creating the buzz necessary to push football.  Shakamak school board turned him down, but word was the presentation was unimpressive.  Every level of football is about the same... disorganized is the nice way to put it.  I give it a year or two before parents and kids get sick of the whole thing.  Could a real football guy with legit football coaching and a big personality get a little movement... maybe... but it would be a big maybe.  It would require a high level of participation and a few wins.