Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Alices32

Vincennes Lincoln

Now that it has been officially confirmed that the (brief) Josh Thompson era of Vincennes Lincoln Basketball is over, who will the Alices go after for their Head Coach spot?

I'd personally be shocked if former coach and current AD, Jeff Hein, isn't the favorite...

I would tend to agree. He will have his hands full with the AD and the basketball coaching but he would be the logical choice in my opinion.

Posted (edited)

Dang, when did this happen? I just saw JT a month ago at the Miner Shootout in Linton.

Never mind. Found it.

Edited by ts32

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gahoosierfan said:

Was Thompson under any pressure? 

Nothing that he won't face at Barr Reeve. This is no different than other situations where a coach leaves.....talent. BR has a great returning class where they will be the shoo in for their 1A sectional and regional. VL will have some youth and has to deal with Princeton and Southridge in their 3A sectional. Just do the math and it's no secret why he bailed.

Bottom line is Thompson had committed to VL long term and didn't honor that commitment. But hey, this is Indiana High School basketball. In a way, its stuff like this that makes our sport exceptional.

Edited by SEAL_63

Posted (edited)

Hein isn't coming back. His kid graduates and I wouldn't be surprised for him to dip for another coaching job after the school year. Some things went on that he was not very happy to have to deal with so I dont picture him coming to rescue the day. Going to be tough to find a replacement with practically no time remaining.  We looked really, really good this summer too.

Also have to factor teaching jobs available. Thompson was the VP and no more VP/head coaching will be allowed.

Tolliver IMO is the front runner after sitting beside multiple coaches for ages.

I assume the new VP will come from within so it will open a job but I think Chad will finally get his chance. Only other realistic option would be Blue who has been the Frosh/JV coach for the past several years.

My prediction is Chad gets the job this year and then is replaced barring a great season. 

On 7/21/2018 at 8:56 AM, Gahoosierfan said:

Was Thompson under any pressure? 

No but who would pass up Barr-Reeve?

There's hardwood there.

I doubt the parents continue to put their noses where they don't belong there as well.

Edited by Big8Football

On 7/23/2018 at 3:45 AM, Big8Football said:

Hein isn't coming back. His kid graduates and I wouldn't be surprised for him to dip for another coaching job after the school year. Some things went on that he was not very happy to have to deal with so I dont picture him coming to rescue the day. Going to be tough to find a replacement with practically no time remaining.  We looked really, really good this summer too.

Also have to factor teaching jobs available. Thompson was the VP and no more VP/head coaching will be allowed.

Tolliver IMO is the front runner after sitting beside multiple coaches for ages.

I assume the new VP will come from within so it will open a job but I think Chad will finally get his chance. Only other realistic option would be Blue who has been the Frosh/JV coach for the past several years.

My prediction is Chad gets the job this year and then is replaced barring a great season. 

Tolliver certainly deserves the opportunity. And it would be ideal if they could find someone internal given the time constraints. Not sure if he would be interested though. Jared Blue deserves a good look as well. He's had success at every level he's coached, football or basketball. Doubt he would want to do it given that he's the D-coordinator for Coach Salters. 

And yes, I see no scenario where Hein comes back into the fold. He'll be snatched up the moment he decides he's ready to coach again. But it won't be at Vincennes.

My question is whether Hall of Famer Steve Brett will stick around as a special assistant, or if they could coax him to HC one season?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

Tolliver certainly deserves the opportunity. And it would be ideal if they could find someone internal given the time constraints. Not sure if he would be interested though. Jared Blue deserves a good look as well. He's had success at every level he's coached, football or basketball. Doubt he would want to do it given that he's the D-coordinator for Coach Salters. 

And yes, I see no scenario where Hein comes back into the fold. He'll be snatched up the moment he decides he's ready to coach again. But it won't be at Vincennes.

My question is whether Hall of Famer Steve Brett will stick around as a special assistant, or if they could coax him to HC one season?

Pretty sure Brett will be gone.

Tolliver wanted it once before and if given the opportunity I think he'd take it.

I don't think Blue would be interested. He seems to enjoy coaching both sports and as bad as our fans are I can see Vincennes being hesitant to give the basketball job to someone his age. But again who knows? 

Keeping it in house at least gives them a solid foundation to work from.

I'm not joking about how well they played this summer but summer ball is different from the regular season. I believe they'll be legit Big 8/Sectional contenders if there's not too much change.

Edited by Big8Football

Steve Brett is the new Lincoln coach on interim basis.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Ltown said:

Steve Brett is the new Lincoln coach on interim basis.

Correct. The school corporation made it official today. Should be a seamless transition for the Alices as far as the type of offense they will run. Looking forward to what the Hall of Famer can do with this team. 

• Upvote 1

I really wiffed there with my prediction.  Surprised he stayed and kind of surprised they gave it to someone not at the school but I hear none of the other assistants were interested. Maybe he felt a sense of obligation to the kids. Unique circumstance.

Anyways not a bad coach for a year.

I like it. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/23/2018 at 3:45 AM, Big8Football said:

No but who would pass up Barr-Reeve?

Well, I can name 5.

Edit... I've been told there were more, but I only know of 5.

Edited by basketballjones

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

FWIW, I can name, at a minimum, 5 different coaches who turned down an opportunity at the Barr Reeve job.  4 of them were pretty big names in southern Indiana hoops.

Edit... I've been told there were more, but I only know of 5.

Name that tune! :)

• Upvote 1

That's surprising.

I always felt that's a great program but I'm not from that area or old like you geezers knowing the ins and outs of things. Plus going to that small area, I can see why some coaches would. I only know about VL. 

But for what's going on at Lincoln that's more what I was meaning. If I was VL coach I'd rather be at BR. Just not the same job as it used to be 10 years ago.

Parents. Ruining things.

Who all turned them down?

8 hours ago, Big8Football said:

That's surprising.

I always felt that's a great program but I'm not from that area or old like you geezers knowing the ins and outs of things. Plus going to that small area, I can see why some coaches would. I only know about VL. 

But for what's going on at Lincoln that's more what I was meaning. If I was VL coach I'd rather be at BR. Just not the same job as it used to be 10 years ago.

Parents. Ruining things.

Only names I heard that turned them down are Gene Miller and Dave Benter of Brownstown Central. I would be curious to hear the other two names.

I don't think the Barr-Reeve job would be ideal, most of the good teams they have had in the last 8 years had a move in, I can't see kids running to play for Thompson like they did Hughes. Also I feel like Hughes could keep the fan base in check I think it will be a lunatics running the asylum situation now. Never follow a great coach!

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Big8Football said:

That's surprising.

Parents. Ruining things.

I think several of the parents you speak of had kids graduate last May. So maybe we will see an improvement in that area. 

And I disagree when you say the job isn’t the same. Has there been some rough seasons the past couple years? Yes. Has it affected attendance to an extent? Yes. But I think most of that stems from Hein leaving and I know several folks who weren’t thrilled with the hiring of Thompson (I for one was willing to give the man a chance). There definitely was a split among the fan base. And when the results weren't there at the end of his first season, there was an even noticeable dip in attendance.  I hate to say it, because I liked Josh, but him leaving seems like it was meant to be for the Lincoln program. It gives the VCSC another shot at finding the next great coach. And I think that next list of candidates will show that it's still an attractive position. I mean it was just a little over 3 years ago that 1/3 of Southport Fieldhouse was covered in green at semi-state. It was alive and well then. 

Edited by SEAL_63

20 hours ago, Ltown said:

Only names I heard that turned them down are Gene Miller and Dave Benter of Brownstown Central. I would be curious to hear the other two names.

I don't think the Barr-Reeve job would be ideal, most of the good teams they have had in the last 8 years had a move in, I can't see kids running to play for Thompson like they did Hughes. Also I feel like Hughes could keep the fan base in check I think it will be a lunatics running the asylum situation now. Never follow a great coach!

Michael Adams from Reitz was one for sure. Rumor mill says assistant coachs at BR and also Mark Rohrer weren't interested. 

The only significant move in at the high school level was Duncan Roy. His family moved from Texas and I don't think Hughes was any factor in that whatsoever. BR is all about program strength - just as Loogootee used to be. BR wins at every level. Hughes was a big part of that. The challenge for Thompson will be continuing that feeder system.

Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2018 at 4:04 PM, SEAL_63 said:

I think several of the parents you speak of had kids graduate last May. So maybe we will see an improvement in that area. 

And I disagree when you say the job isn’t the same. Has there been some rough seasons the past couple years? Yes. Has it affected attendance to an extent? Yes. But I think most of that stems from Hein leaving and I know several folks who weren’t thrilled with the hiring of Thompson (I for one was willing to give the man a chance). There definitely was a split among the fan base. And when the results weren't there at the end of his first season, there was an even noticeable dip in attendance.  I hate to say it, because I liked Josh, but him leaving seems like it was meant to be for the Lincoln program. It gives the VCSC another shot at finding the next great coach. And I think that next list of candidates will show that it's still an attractive position. I mean it was just a little over 3 years ago that 1/3 of Southport Fieldhouse was covered in green at semi-state. It was alive and well then. 

You're missing something on the parent part I can not bring up on a message board or you'd understand why I brought it up. 

I'm also comparing the job to when we were growing up and into middle school and even when we were there.

It's not the same. You know it deep down. We'll still have good teams but not like we use to have consistently. Well never be there again. That's all I meant. Still a good job and better than most other bball programs around. My statement wasnt that big a slight. Still rather have VL than any other Big 8 job, minus one maybe, and it beats most other localish schools.

And yes our fans are notorious bandwagon fans these days. Kinda proved my point. Has been for the last decade.  Old fans will like to relive their glory days when the teams good because most of this town seems to be stuck in the past. We had a pretty solid team last year just played too Jekyll and Hyde.

No longer is VL constantly reloading but it's now more waiting for certain classes.

Edited by Big8Football

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Big8Football said:

You're missing something on the parent part I can not bring up on a message board or you'd understand why I brought it up. 

I'm also comparing the job to when we were growing up and into middle school and even when we were there.

It's not the same. You know it deep down. We'll still have good teams but not like we use to have consistently. Well never be there again. That's all I meant. Still a good job and better than most other bball programs around. My statement wasnt that big a slight. Still rather have VL than any other Big 8 job, minus one maybe, and it beats most other localish schools.

And yes our fans are notorious bandwagon fans these days. Kinda proved my point. Has been for the last decade.  

No longer is VL constantly reloading but it's now more waiting for certain classes. 

I think we're talking about two totally different eras. I'm referring to the last 10-15 years, roughly, when I say the job hasn't changed much. Or every season since the 2004 sectional title team with Painter, Mattingly, Booth, and Cunningham. The last team before the Zeller years. 

Prior to that, in the 90's and early 00's, is what I remember growing up, when you could not get a seat in the lower sections of Alice Arena unless you made the JV tip off. If you're referring to that time period, then I 100% agree with you. It is not the same program as it was in the single class system (as with many others statewide) or before the Zeller's destroyed any hope of a sectional title for a span of 8 years. But, as you stated, it is still a great job compared to a lot of others relative to the time we live in with class basketball. 

And you hit the nail on the head as far as what the fan base has been in recent years. Kind of annoying actually. It seems like once we started winning sectionals again from 2012-2015 with Hein, you could see the enthusiasm come back. Then Hein departs and it just vanishes. We will see how the winds blow now with Brett leading the program.

Edited by SEAL_63

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:39 AM, Taps Browning said:

Michael Adams from Reitz was one for sure. Rumor mill says assistant coachs at BR and also Mark Rohrer weren't interested. 

The only significant move in at the high school level was Duncan Roy. His family moved from Texas and I don't think Hughes was any factor in that whatsoever. BR is all about program strength - just as Loogootee used to be. BR wins at every level. Hughes was a big part of that. The challenge for Thompson will be continuing that feeder system.

O'niell is a pretty significant move in......

O'Neil played junior high ball at BR. Most people don't consider kids who have always been part of a program as "move ins".

7 hours ago, Taps Browning said:

O'Neil played junior high ball at BR. Most people don't consider kids who have always been part of a program as "move ins".

Pretty sure almost everyone considers a kid who leaves one school and goes to another a "move in."

5 hours ago, SmallTown said:

A move in for sports and a move in because of change in family situation are not considered the same. Oneil’s parents divorced and his mom moved to Montgomery when he was in grade school so before he had grown and anyone knew he would be talented in basketball.  Ltown I love how you made a statement that made it sound like there were a lot of “move-ins” but when asked to name them you only gave one name.

Point out where I was asked to name anybody, because I ain't seeing it. Anyway I can hardly think of the names of kids on last years Loogootee team let alone a team from Montgomery years ago. However, I will try...... A Hawkins kid from Shoals, Roy kid from who knows where, O'niell(who was six foot in the fifth grade and dad played college football, so I am sure people knew he would have athletic talent.) Bowman from Loogootee(that will get ya'll going), and the Graber kid who came from Washington last season. That is all I can think of at the moment sounds like a lot to me.............Also nice job on throwing out a kids personal situation about his parents I would frown on that if I was a mod.

17 hours ago, Ltown said:

Pretty sure almost everyone considers a kid who leaves one school and goes to another a "move in."

Nah. "Move in" has a specific meaning in this context, namely high school level transfers. Lots of kids don't attend the same school all 12 years. 

But even if we consider it the way you suggest, I honestly can't think of one male basketball player who moved into the BR school simply for the basketball program. There were a couple of Shoals kids who went there for cross country (among other things). There were a couple of girl basketball players. 

8 minutes ago, Ltown said:

Point out where I was asked to name anybody, because I ain't seeing it. Anyway I can hardly think of the names of kids on last years Loogootee team let alone a team from Montgomery years ago. However, I will try...... A Hawkins kid from Shoals, Roy kid from who knows where, O'niell(who was six foot in the fifth grade and dad played college football, so I am sure people knew he would have athletic talent.) Bowman from Loogootee(that will get ya'll going), and the Graber kid who came from Washington last season. That is all I can think of at the moment sounds like a lot to me.............Also nice job on throwing out a kids personal situation about his parents I would frown on that if I was a mod.

Actually that is very few, but even at that only one of those kids is a legitimate example of your point. Bowman was a significant player and most likely moved back to BR because of basketball. Of course he actually started at BR so I don't know if that even fits an expanded definition of "move in".