Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×

On 10/22/2018 at 11:36 AM, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I believe he has committed to play at FCS school William & Mary. This has been brought up previously in this thread. There are connections between William & Mary and NorthWood.

Image result for amish horse and buggyIs this the connection?  Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

According to this article, Eshbach's children will be going to DeKalb

https://timesuniononline.com/Content/Local-Sports/Local-Sports/Article/Eshbach-Resigns-As-Wawasee-Coach/74/327/116055

Also, as a side note, reading this quote from Coach Curtis got my expectations for the game tonight raised just a little bit more!

"The thing about Penn through the decades of championships and wins and player development is they have executed and done as good a job as anybody of adjusting their scheme to the players they have. But when the rubber hits the road, they're still Penn. Ron Powlus Jr. can put it in there. He's a big kid, and he presents some problems. To beat Penn, and this is going to sound cliche, you have to beat Penn. They're not going to beat themselves. They're sound in all three phases of the game. I have been fortunate enough to be a part of a group of coaches and players that have beat Penn, and to do that Friday we have to play great football. I don't think we have to convince our kids to believe they can't beat Penn. This group believes in what we're doing, and the last 11 games against Penn have nothing to do with this group. There was a time when Mishawaka had lost 34 straight games to Penn, and we went out and beat them."

https://timesuniononline.com/Content/Local-Sports/Local-Sports/Article/On-The-Gridiron/74/327/116062

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Congrats to NorthWood and Concord for moving on and a salute to Warsaw for being brave in the attempt. Good things ahead for the Tiger program.

Not a great night for Indiana HS football competitively as only 19% of the 96 games had a final margin of 10 points or less while almost 70% of the games were blowouts decided by 20 points or more. 

On 10/22/2018 at 12:36 PM, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I believe he has committed to play at FCS school William & Mary. This has been brought up previously in this thread. There are connections between William & Mary and NorthWood.

Since the outstanding season Yoder has had, has he considered playing at a higher level?  He's way above  the William and Mary level. 

Good luck to Northwood and Concord tonight!  Neither will be easy, but I'll pick the NLC to go 1-1 tonight.

Best line of the season SF has heard so far (by NW's Nate Andrews after deciding to run a play that failed 2 yards from the goal line behind by 1 point instead of kicking a field goal that would have put the Panthers up by 2) “Six points is more points than three points,” Andrews said sternly. https://www.elkharttruth.com/sports/high_school/angola-again-spoils-northwood-title-bid/article_81615e51-65fe-5206-ac33-48d28d096b74.html  

Sums it up.....

Congrats to the Minutemen for advancing and winning the opportunity to meet Michigan City Friday........Good luck - play hard......

SF will be swimming in the depths.....

• Upvote 1

How about Northwood having two ball carriers averaging over 10 yards per carry?  Must have been feast or famine, that and the turnovers.  Anyone that was there have a better perspective of how Wood lost with those stats?! 

4 hours ago, Wedgebuster said:

How about Northwood having two ball carriers averaging over 10 yards per carry?  Must have been feast or famine, that and the turnovers.  Anyone that was there have a better perspective of how Wood lost with those stats?! 

SF was not there, but according to my Monday morning (nearly) full play-by-play synopsis source who WAS there, this is what happens when (pretty much) your game plan rests solely on the D1 William and Mary commit......and he gets pretty exhausted playing Offense AND Defense AND Special teams to the point of nearly collapsing - only to get back out there after a light breather......And the opponent knows it.....

This was the first 30-45 minutes of my day this morning......

Edited by Swordfish
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

SF was not there, but according to my Monday morning (nearly) full play-by-play synopsis source who WAS there, this is what happens when (pretty much) your game plan rests solely on the D1 William and Mary commit......and he gets pretty exhausted playing Offense AND Defense AND Special teams to the point of nearly collapsing - only to get back out there after a light breather......And the opponent knows it.....

This was the first 30-45 minutes of my day this morning......

Angola appeared to have fewer guys going both ways and this might have helped for those two 4th quarter stands.

• Upvote 2

On 11/5/2018 at 9:50 AM, Swordfish said:

Best line of the season SF has heard so far (by NW's Nate Andrews after deciding to run a play that failed 2 yards from the goal line behind by 1 point instead of kicking a field goal that would have put the Panthers up by 2) “Six points is more points than three points,” Andrews said sternly. https://www.elkharttruth.com/sports/high_school/angola-again-spoils-northwood-title-bid/article_81615e51-65fe-5206-ac33-48d28d096b74.html  

Sums it up.....

Congrats to the Minutemen for advancing and winning the opportunity to meet Michigan City Friday........Good luck - play hard......

SF will be swimming in the depths.....

We went to the Angola-NorthWood game, wanting to see a good football matchup and watch Yoder play again. The atmosphere was awesome...standing room only around the fence, fans packed in the stands like sardines, loud...just a very cool experience for high school football. I was impressed (also surprised) by the size of some players Angola had. Both teams were physical...even a few plays with some incredibly late extra-curricular effort. I will stay away from comments about decisions and coaching, as I do not have the requisite knowlede of either program. Neither team could seem to fully gain control of the LOS; back and forth all night between some kids on both sides who just bring it. Angola was able to stand tough while defending deep in their own territory twice in the 4th quarter. Both teams' passing attacks almost remind you of Mishawaka/Warsaw...not in scheme but in the fact they pound at you repeatedly and then hit a pop pass or good play action when you are selling out to stop the run. I will say the field was atrocious. Not only because of the rain last week, but Angola's field must sit below the water table, or very close to it...it was very swampy all over the grounds. We actually couldn't find a good viewing spot (road construction detours caused a late arrival) that wasn't crowded or looking through a fence, so we wandered around and eventually went inside the gate and onto the track by the corner of the endzone. Nobody said anything and we watched the last 3 quarters from that spot.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, CoachMiller said:

We went to the Angola-NorthWood game, wanting to see a good football matchup and watch Yoder play again. The atmosphere was awesome...standing room only around the fence, fans packed in the stands like sardines, loud...just a very cool experience for high school football. I was impressed (also surprised) by the size of some players Angola had. Both teams were physical...even a few plays with some incredibly late extra-curricular effort. I will stay away from comments about decisions and coaching, as I do not have the requisite knowlede of either program. Neither team could seem to fully gain control of the LOS; back and forth all night between some kids on both sides who just bring it. Angola was able to stand tough while defending deep in their own territory twice in the 4th quarter. Both teams' passing attacks almost remind you of Mishawaka/Warsaw...not in scheme but in the fact they pound at you repeatedly and then hit a pop pass or good play action when you are selling out to stop the run. I will say the field was atrocious. Not only because of the rain last week, but Angola's field must sit below the water table, or very close to it...it was very swampy all over the grounds. We actually couldn't find a good viewing spot (road construction detours caused a late arrival) that wasn't crowded or looking through a fence, so we wandered around and eventually went inside the gate and onto the track by the corner of the endzone. Nobody said anything and we watched the last 3 quarters from that spot.

I was just getting back into the Elkhart County area to listen to the 4th quarter on the radio, sounded like a great atmosphere and game, unfortunately coming down the hill back into Middlebury I lost the signal with about 2 minutes to go.  Our field is similarly terrible, although not in a swamp, can't wait for the new turf to be put down.

One of the few benefits of meeting my kids mom 2 hours from home twice every other weekend is that I get to catch some games that I'd otherwise not have a chance to hear.  Particularly enjoyed getting to listen to the Pioneer games (although none were competitive).  Most impressed with the Froggy/Elkhart County Game of the Week crew, least homerish of all the broadcasts I have picked up over the year.

Was listening the the Carmel/Jeff game as well hoping to see a Penn/Carmel rematch, but we all know how that ended.

Ken Fox article on the Elkhart Truth - https://www.elkharttruth.com/sports/high_school/concord-vs-elkhart-could-become-a-big-rivalry/article_1b6a42cd-56fa-5fb5-bad4-98548626bd26.html

It appears that starting in 2020, Concord will be opening their schedule against Elkhart High School and moving Jimtown to week 2 with Mishawaka sliding into the week 6 slot.  Should be a good cross town rivalry!

1 hour ago, NRRaider2001 said:

I was just getting back into the Elkhart County area to listen to the 4th quarter on the radio, sounded like a great atmosphere and game, unfortunately coming down the hill back into Middlebury I lost the signal with about 2 minutes to go.  Our field is similarly terrible, although not in a swamp, can't wait for the new turf to be put down.

One of the few benefits of meeting my kids mom 2 hours from home twice every other weekend is that I get to catch some games that I'd otherwise not have a chance to hear.  Particularly enjoyed getting to listen to the Pioneer games (although none were competitive).  Most impressed with the Froggy/Elkhart County Game of the Week crew, least homerish of all the broadcasts I have picked up over the year.

Was listening the the Carmel/Jeff game as well hoping to see a Penn/Carmel rematch, but we all know how that ended.

Angola's field was like your field was for the game against Memorial...so, absolutely terrible. LOL. The difference is that the rest of the grass on the grounds in the facility was also that way. Had to proceed with caution if you were not on pavement, otherwise you might be covered in mud...saw two people slip and fall while they were walking down a slight hill by the bathroom. 

• Upvote 1

Coach of the Year - Nate Andrews (NorthWood)

All-NLC 2018

NorthWood:

Nic Bontrager, Jake Lone, Veshon Malone, Braden Mikel, Jaden Miller, Nate Newcomer, Bronson Yoder

Warsaw:

John Culbertson, Braxton DeFord, Blake Marsh, Harrison Mevis, Matt Shoemaker, Josh West

Plymouth:

Blake Davis, Jackson Lee, Brayson Leazenby, Blake Reed, Seth Rundell

Concord:

Cameron Lain, Roemello Moon, Carter Neveraski, Max Welch

Memorial:

Juanyae Hudson, Clayton Lundy, Derrick Woods

Northridge:

Julius Graber, Reece Lueking

Wawasee:

Evan Eshbach, Dylan Hepler, Brayden Johnson

Goshen:

Drew Marlow, Daveyon Sandford

Honorable Mention

NorthWood:

Garrett Anglemyer, Jason Borkholder, Zach Miller

Warsaw:

Wyatt Amiss, Brock Hueber, Logan Johnson

Plymouth:

Joe Barron, Jacob Deacon, Cole Filson, Garrett Schrameyer

Concord:

Jacob Beckwith, Ariel DeLaPaz

Memorial:

Javon Forester

Northridge:

Austin Floria

Wawasee:

Keyan Peete

Goshen:

Brandon Chavez, Bryant Grewe

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, yellowjacket said:

Does the NLC name  an MVP?

Not to my knowledge has there ever been any sort of MVP/Player of the Year for any sport in the NLC.

Congrats to the kids that made the all conference team. Just a question.  There are 8 teams in the conference and there are 6 QBs selected as all conference?

Isn’t the idea of all conference to select the best player in the conference at each position?

NIC hasn’t announced their lists yet, but I hope they award it by position.

29 minutes ago, NPFan said:

Congrats to the kids that made the all conference team. Just a question.  There are 8 teams in the conference and there are 6 QBs selected as all conference?

Isn’t the idea of all conference to select the best player in the conference at each position?

NIC hasn’t announced their lists yet, but I hope they award it by position.

In the NLC the number of all-conference players each team gets is awarded by final conference standings (1st place gets seven, 2nd place gets six, and so on) and then each coach makes the selection(s) for his team. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, IMHO said:

In the NLC the number of all-conference players each team gets is awarded by final conference standings (1st place gets seven, 2nd place gets six, and so on) and then each coach makes the selection(s) for his team. 

Ditto to this. They made this change years ago. It has been this way for over a decade if not longer.

Since it's now public I want to thank Coach Mike Logan (Northridge's Defensive Coordinator) for his 30+ years of service to the Northridge community/football/baseball programs. 

I grew up listening to his "voice" from the stands in the late 80's early 90's when my brother was playing and when we first joined the NLC.  I had the chance to learn under him myself, and am thankful that my oldest son had the chance to learn from him and his system the last few years.

Needless to say, he was here during some really tough years for our football program, but thankfully he got to enjoy success these last several years, including the run to Semi State a couple years ago and an undefeated regular season last year.

Bill Beck shared this on his twitter a few minutes ago from the year of our Semi State run:

https://www.elkharttruth.com/sports/side-lines-northridge-s-mike-logan-breathes-fire-and-passion/article_da2eb810-551c-5d79-a1fe-26aa11015ae5.html

NLC was one of the last conferences to hold on to the old model of actually voting for a "team".  Your finish in conference standings determined the number of "nominations" you could make.  Most conferences had switched to the "pick" your kids model long before.

I selfishly wish most schools would go back to this model.  It would be easy to do the voting virtually/online without the lengthy meeting that could sometimes accompany the old method.

With the old method a coach could always justify to the parent that it was the other coaches in the conference that didn't vote for their son for the all-conference team.   Now if a player doesn't  make the team it's very transparent that the coach didn't place him on the team.  

• Upvote 1

I certainly wish it could go back to selecting an actual “team”. The new way seems like a way to avoid having to make difficult choices and prevent hurt feelings.  

It also leans towards more praise/focus on the quarterbacks and running backs.  It sure looks like linemen get the short end of the stick (again).  I’m sorry but 6 QBs from an 8 team league is just kind of silly.

Oh well.  Does anyone know if the NIC awards by position or just “best players” from each team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NPFan said:

I certainly wish it could go back to selecting an actual “team”. The new way seems like a way to avoid having to make difficult choices and prevent hurt feelings.  

It also leans towards more praise/focus on the quarterbacks and running backs.  It sure looks like linemen get the short end of the stick (again).  I’m sorry but 6 QBs from an 8 team league is just kind of silly.

Oh well.  Does anyone know if the NIC awards by position or just “best players” from each team.

I like it in the sense that it rewards the teams who have the better seasons in the conference. Want more All-Conference selections? Awesome. Be at the top of the conference.

The IFCA All-Region and All-State teams do a good job of recognizing what you want IMO.