Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bobref

Urban Meyer Death Watch

Posted (edited)

Got a feeling that Meyer survives and AD Gene Smith is pushed into retirement, becoming the defacto sacrificial lamb.

Meyer says he pushed it up thru the proper channels, which puts Smith in the crosshairs.  OSU faithful would rather sacrifice Smith than Meyer.  

The Meyer tweet offensive was timed perfectly and gives him some more breathing room.  He basically pulled a classic Clinton-Trump move and used the "misspoke" defense to defend his comments at the Big Ten media session.  It just might work.  

Edited by DrivenT
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Got a feeling that Meyer survives and AD Gene Smith is pushed into retirement, becoming the defacto sacrificial lamb.

Meyer says he pushed it up thru the proper channels, which puts Smith in the crosshairs.  OSU faithful would rather sacrifice Smith than Meyer.  

The Meyer tweet offensive was timed perfectly and gives him some more breathing room.  He basically pulled a classic Clinton-Trump move and used the "misspoke" defense to defend his comments at the Big Ten media session.  It just might work.  

That makes sense, and 10 years ago, even 5, I would have readily agreed. But in today’s climate, no one is bulletproof. His odds are no better than 50-50.

• Upvote 1

Smith was going down anyway with multiple programs under investigation in Columbus on his watch. It does appear that this whole thing was put on his lap and takes the heat off of Meyer, no matter how hard pressed ESPN is to see him hang. 

I didn't realize the number of player arrests under his leadership at Florida and OSU.  

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/urban-meyer-ohio-state-zach-smith-domestic-abuse-allegations-paid-administrative-leave-florida/1hxys7w0omaxz1cphslyu9i0pi

Given the recent allegation by OSU wrestlers, perhaps the AD is also in the crosshairs

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/former-wrestlers-sue-ohio-state-university-saying-school-ignored-abuse-n892011

Regardless, because of 2 abuse scandals and investigations at THE Ohio State University, I would think the patience is very much limited......although we all know winning and money is typically king.

9 hours ago, Trojan Dad said:

I didn't realize the number of player arrests under his leadership at Florida and OSU.  

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/urban-meyer-ohio-state-zach-smith-domestic-abuse-allegations-paid-administrative-leave-florida/1hxys7w0omaxz1cphslyu9i0pi

Given the recent allegation by OSU wrestlers, perhaps the AD is also in the crosshairs

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/former-wrestlers-sue-ohio-state-university-saying-school-ignored-abuse-n892011

Regardless, because of 2 abuse scandals and investigations at THE Ohio State University, I would think the patience is very much limited......although we all know winning and money is typically king.

Yep....for football, just beat Michigan. If he had Harbaugh’s record in that series, he would have been fired by now. 

• Upvote 1

I have to go with what ESPN was discussing yesterday. The OSU brass will be in touch with their high-powered money people. If their decision results in lots of lost money -----he will go. But if the big money dudes will continue to support regardless, the folks in Columbus will care less what the country thinks----he will stay.

The report will show Urban did exactly what he was supposed to do and he will not get fired.  Gene Smith very well may.

Everyone through this whole thing though  has been out to hang someone right from the get go.  And before you start, I've seen the pictures and I'm right there with you that a man should never lay his hand on a woman, period, defensively or whatever excuse he used.  The facts are though Zach Smith was never charged with anything.  There were reports that she dropped charges several times, which is just bad info.  DV arrests are controlled by the police and prosecutor and the victim doesn't have any control over that.  The local police department in Powell testified as a character wittness in their custody hearing on behalf of Zach Smith.  There's reports the ex wife called 911 66 times in a 90 day period and after numerous of those calls were found to include coach Smith to be working at the time, they stopped responding because she wasn't credible.  Around this same time she was pulled over three times for DUI.  Zach Smith needed to go, but he should have been divorced way sooner.  They both drink way too much.  And the women is searching hard at this point to vilify anyone she can and cash in.  She was asking six figures for her story.  It was an ugly relationship all the way around and everyone knew it.  I believe Zach's  hearing is tomorrow on the restraining order violation and more information will be available once he gets that ordeal behind him.   She's a victim I believe of a lot of things and should get the proper support and protection she deserves.  But she's also a person who tries to victimize everyone else around her whether deserving or not and she also needs help on that front.

50 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

Urban Meyer just seems so slimy. 

I dont know where that comes from?  Meyer is one of the sharpest, well spoken, most well prepared coaches I have ever seen.  

He represents the university with great class and dignity.  

OSU couldnt recruit the way it does if Meyer was a slimeball.  Parents would see right thru that.  

He will take a short suspension and be back on the sideline when things become more meaningful.  

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I dont know where that comes from?  Meyer is one of the sharpest, well spoken, most well prepared coaches I have ever seen.  

He represents the university with great class and dignity.  

OSU couldnt recruit the way it does if Meyer was a slimeball.  Parents would see right thru that.  

He will take a short suspension and be back on the sideline when things become more meaningful.  

I don’t ever recall saying he wasn’t/isn’t one of the sharpest, well spoke ,  most well prepared coaches. 

So in your world, a sharp, well dressed, well prepared and uber accomplished head football coach can also be a slimeball?

Interesting

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DrivenT said:

So in your world, a sharp, well dressed, well prepared and uber accomplished head football coach can also be a slimeball?

Interesting

Yes in OUR world. He’s not the first and won’t be the last. 

Edited by Coach Ellenwood
  • Like 1

Sounds like his job will be saved if in fact it was true he sent the info up the chain to the AD's office. That part of the investigation will be critical.

3 minutes ago, cw13 said:

Sounds like his job will be saved if in fact it was true he sent the info up the chain to the AD's office. That part of the investigation will be critical.

It will be saved--all of those meatheads in Columbus had a rally last night...

23 hours ago, Gipper said:

It will be saved--all of those meatheads in Columbus had a rally last night...

That was embarrassing and I'm glad it was a small group of 100.  i would love to know how many of those "meatheads" hold a diploma from OSU.  

2 hours ago, bowwowindy1 said:

That was embarrassing and I'm glad it was a small group of 100.  i would love to know how many of those "meatheads" hold a diploma from OSU.  

maybe 10%...

• Upvote 1

The Buckeyes and Buckeye Nation will survive.  They lived through Woody Hayes, they lived through Tressel.  They'll live through this, too.  I would imagine there are 1,000's of fans from that "team up north" gleefully rubbing their hands together and having parties over this debacle.  I wonder what Harbaugh thinks about all of this?  Thinking maybe he might have a chance to win this year against OSU?  If Meyer is fired, there will probably be a shift in power in the conference.  Wisconsin and Penn State must be celebrating as well.

A shift?  Doubtful at best.  OSU is a strong brand and they'll be able to bring in another elite coach.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I wonder what Harbaugh thinks about all of this?  Thinking maybe he might have a chance to win this year against OSU? 

If he's worrying about what OSU has going on in house, might be telling on why they haven't won against them. 

MSU is loving it, because it moves their issues to the back burner.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/26/michigan-states-sexual-assault-problem-isnt-limited-to-nassar/

I guess there's a double standard for lying to the media and or who condones what type of actions with people in their program. 

One thing I don't get, if he passed this info "up the chain of command" in 2015, and merely "misspoke" at the Big 10 media day when asked about it, why didn't the assistant get fired until right before then. And if he did pass it up the chain of command in 2015, there is undoubtedly some sort of documentation of that fact, either an e-mail or text from Meyer, or something out of Gene Smith's office at that time launching an investigation or at least referring to Meyer's report in some way.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bobref said:

One thing I don't get, if he passed this info "up the chain of command" in 2015, and merely "misspoke" at the Big 10 media day when asked about it, why didn't the assistant get fired until right before then. And if he did pass it up the chain of command in 2015, there is undoubtedly some sort of documentation of that fact, either an e-mail or text from Meyer, or something out of Gene Smith's office at that time launching an investigation or at least referring to Meyer's report in some way.

nail, meet Head of Hammer

Meyer and the big bucks OSU boosters are playing a masterful game of "wait and see" and forcing the initial shock of this issue to pass over.  

The Trumpian news cycle environment we live in is so fast that even an issue such as this will pass by quickly.  

The investigative council assigned by the University will chastise Meyer but not fire him.  He will likely see a 3 game suspension and be back in time for Big Ten play.  Win - win for all.

Zack Smith gets fired and walks away with a pile of University cash, to be shared with his soon to be ex wife. 

Buckeye players and fans keep their coach.

Meyer keeps his job.

Gene Smith is nudged into retirement and taps into the Buckeye slush fund.  

The OSU machine rolls forward.  :04_v:

• Upvote 1

hard to argue any of that as a not a possible most likely outcome.......   

39 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Meyer and the big bucks OSU boosters are playing a masterful game of "wait and see" and forcing the initial shock of this issue to pass over.  

The Trumpian news cycle environment we live in is so fast that even an issue such as this will pass by quickly.  

The investigative council assigned by the University will chastise Meyer but not fire him.  He will likely see a 3 game suspension and be back in time for Big Ten play.  Win - win for all.

Zack Smith gets fired and walks away with a pile of University cash, to be shared with his soon to be ex wife. 

Buckeye players and fans keep their coach.

Meyer keeps his job.

Gene Smith is nudged into retirement and taps into the Buckeye slush fund.  

The OSU machine rolls forward.  :04_v:

The only thing I disagree with is the nudging of Gene Smith. The NCAA is paying a LOT of attention to OSU athletics. There are multiple issues and programs being investigated; all on his watch. Now, he may beat them to the punch and resign; but if he tries to stay put, he will be fired.

• Upvote 1