Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

Contraction and Class Reduction - Are they on the horizon

The number of schools either closing, consolidating or dropping football altogether is on the rise.

Schools falling into one of these buckets number 6 at the current moment :

Closed : Arlington, Broad Ripple, Northwest

Consolidated : Elkhart Memorial

Dropped : Hammond Noll, Wood Memorial

Several others are on the "watch" list and could see their programs dissolved within the next reclassification cycle :

* SB Clay

* Multiple IPS schools, charter or non charter

* Park Tudor

* Gary Roosevelt

* Hammond Clark or Gavit

Many others could be on the bubble due to projected low turnout for the 2018 season.  We should be hearing about these schools soon as the season openers approach.

Could the reduction in participating schools force the IHSAA to reconsider its current 6 class setup?  What other options might be considered as the number of football playing schools drops to 300 or fewer?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Rockville and Turkey Run are consolidating for the 2018-19 school year, which eliminated one more football school in addition to the 3 IPS schools you listed for this year.  Last year there were 323 eligible football schools.  4 schools that played football last year no longer exist, while 2 new schools are tournament eligible this year for a net loss of 2.

Edited by HoopsCoach

Hammond Clark I believe is in the 40+ players this year in year 2 of their new Coach Nick Testa 

2 years ago they had 15 or so.   

Don't close down the Pioneers quite yet

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Hammond Clark I believe is in the 40+ players this year in year 2 of their new Coach Nick Testa 

2 years ago they had 15 or so.   

Don't close down the Pioneers quite yet

Hammond will likely consolidate and convert either Clark or Gavit to a middle school.  Sounds more like Gavit will be the one.  

I doubt football goes back to 5 classes.  I think 6A started because the total of football playing school went over 320.  BUT, the enrollment spread in the old 5A was so big something needed to be done.   The number of football playing schools will stay near 320 for the foreseeable future.  Thus no change.  

• Upvote 2

There has been rumors of Gavit closing for the better part of two decades now. It is a pretty rugged facility as I remember rolling my ankle there when I was coaching at KV my one season. 

That begs the question, has any of the Hammond schools other than Morton had any significant upgrades. On the plus side for Gavit their coach Robert Robinson has been there since 2011 and has at least given them a measure of stability.

Clark has definitely gone through some rough stretches recently thats for sure but good to hear they have their numbers up. 

10 minutes ago, silvertone1696 said:

There has been rumors of Gavit closing for the better part of two decades now. It is a pretty rugged facility as I remember rolling my ankle there when I was coaching at KV my one season. 

That begs the question, has any of the Hammond schools other than Morton had any significant upgrades. On the plus side for Gavit their coach Robert Robinson has been there since 2011 and has at least given them a measure of stability.

Clark has definitely gone through some rough stretches recently thats for sure but good to hear they have their numbers up. 

Hammond passed a referendum last November to collect taxpayer funds to build a new high school to replace 100 year old Hammond High.  

Just don't see the city keeping 4 high schools open indefinitely.  Frankly, Hammond could be scary athletically if it consolidated to just Hammond High (west) and Morton (east)  

Current enrollment :

Morton  1348

Gavit    904

Hammond High  810

Clark   760

Total : 3822

Proposed consolidation : Morton/Clark - 2108

Hammond High/Gavit - 1714

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

Hammond passed a referendum last November to collect taxpayer funds to build a new high school to replace 100 year old Hammond High.  

Just don't see the city keeping 4 high schools open indefinitely.  Frankly, Hammond could be scary athletically if it consolidated to just Hammond High (west) and Morton (east)  

Current enrollment :

Morton  1348

Gavit    904

Hammond High  810

Clark   760

Would it be feasible for Hammond to build two all-new replacement high schools, each serving around 2000 students?

2 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

Would it be feasible for Hammond to build two all-new replacement high schools, each serving around 2000 students?

Economically unfeasible. The referendum barely passed to raise $100M to build the new Hammond High School.   Another hundred mil is just not in the cards. Hammond prop taxes are already very high and this is a blue collar oriented community.  

Morton is in good shape and could be renovated and expanded quite easily. Gavit is in rough condition and Clark is small and outdated.   

Prairie Heights has had between 25-30 players the last few years so they are close to being unable to field a team. 2 years ago they dressed 16 for a first round sectional game 

4 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Current enrollment :

Morton  1348

Gavit    904

Hammond High  810

Clark   760

Clark is in the northwest part of the city and Morton in the southeast. From strictly a geographic standpoint a northwest consolidation of Hammond High and Clark along with a southeast consolidation of Gavit and Morton would be more likely. I recall a previous proposal to close Clark and send the students to Hammond High. This was about 20 or 30 years ago, obviously it didn't happen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Payne said:

Clark is in the northwest part of the city and Morton in the southeast. From strictly a geographic standpoint a northwest consolidation of Hammond High and Clark along with a southeast consolidation of Gavit and Morton would be more likely. I recall a previous proposal to close Clark and send the students to Hammond High. This was about 20 or 30 years ago, obviously it didn't happen.

Wouldn't Whiting pick up some of the North Hammond kids?  Whiting and Clark are about 2 blocks apart.  

Seems likely. According to Google maps the two schools are 0.8 miles apart. A friend of mine lived on the Hammond side of Indianapolis Boulevard and went to Hammond Clark. Just down the street was the city limits dividing the two cities. From his house, the two schools were equally close.

11 hours ago, komets3001 said:

Prairie Heights has had between 25-30 players the last few years so they are close to being unable to field a team. 2 years ago they dressed 16 for a first round sectional game 

Fremont is in the same boat.  They should co-op.  I think Prairie Heights even beat Fremont last year.

On 8/5/2018 at 8:49 AM, HoopsCoach said:

Rockville and Turkey Run are consolidating for the 2018-19 school year, which eliminated one more football school in addition to the 3 IPS schools you listed for this year.  Last year there were 323 eligible football schools.  4 schools that played football last year no longer exist, while 2 new schools are tournament eligible this year for a net loss of 2.

IPS schools in Indiana are naturally unstable due to there cash crunch. I wouldn't really let IPS programs closing start a fear of the decline of IN HS football. 

The Indianapolis Public Schools need to reduce down to two high schools.  Two big schools would provide some basis for stability.  

IPS was severely damaged when Judge Dillion ordered busing to the Marion County township schools.  IPS has been on a slow death spiral ever since.  Add to that poor school administration for the last twenty years and you have a very unstable school system.  

Geographically, IPS is no bigger than Warren or Perry Township, so reducing to two schools would work.  I don’t know how a coach is expected to develop a program when he doesn’t know from year to year if their school is going to exist or who’s going to be attending it.

• Upvote 1

IPS and Gary keep closing schools but then reopen others under different names. Gary has closed Wirt, Emerson, Horace Mann, Lew Wallace over the past few decades

They've open Bowman, Lighthouse and the Wirt-Emerson Academy. Is this really consolidation or just a move from public to private administration?

IPS has several tiny schools like Washington, Attucks, Shortridge.   Weren't all these closed at one time?   

I believe there are approx 6000 high school students left in IPS.  

Agree 2 or 3 schools are sufficient. Contract the rest.   

4 hours ago, Butter Bean said:

The Indianapolis Public Schools need to reduce down to two high schools.  Two big schools would provide some basis for stability.  

IPS was severely damaged when Judge Dillion ordered busing to the Marion County township schools.  IPS has been on a slow death spiral ever since.  Add to that poor school administration for the last twenty years and you have a very unstable school system.  

Geographically, IPS is no bigger than Warren or Perry Township, so reducing to two schools would work.  I don’t know how a coach is expected to develop a program when he doesn’t know from year to year if their school is going to exist or who’s going to be attending it.

So you are blaming de-segregation?

If you’re asking if a federal judge ruling, that years later was reversed, started the deterioration of IPS, I’d say yes. 

Posted (edited)

Future might be bleak at South Central.  Only 24 players with only 7 players combined in the junior and freshmen class on the roster for 2017-2018.  Since 2007 there has been 9 different head coaches at South Central.

https://www.thenewsdispatch.com/sports/article_fe5cd49a-5d3d-51c4-8dca-b0af918fb636.html

Edited by tommy

On 8/9/2018 at 1:04 PM, Butter Bean said:

If you’re asking if a federal judge ruling, that years later was reversed, started the deterioration of IPS, I’d say yes. 

What Judge Dillon should have done was consolidate all of the school corporations in the City of Indianapolis (which is basically all of Marion County, minus Speedway, Southport, and Lawrence) into one, as was done with Louisville. 

On 8/9/2018 at 11:57 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

how many are re-opened as Charter Schools 

^^^^^^ This will be a growing trend.