• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

3A sectional alignment

Interesting factoid about Sectional 28. 

Since 2009, teams currently in Sectional 28 have won:

6 State Championships

10 Semi-State Championships

14 Regional Championships

3 of the 6 Parochial 3A teams in the State are in Sectional 28.  3 of the 4 Indy Metro Parochial 3A teams are in the Sectional (only Ritter is not)

Note: Chatard was in 4A two of those years (2013 and 2014).  Guerin won 2 of those Regionals in 2A

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Interesting factoid about Sectional 28. 

Since 2009, teams currently in Sectional 28 have won:

6 State Championships

10 Semi-State Championships

14 Regional Championships

3 of the 6 Parochial 3A teams in the State are in Sectional 28.  3 of the 4 Indy Metro Parochial 3A teams are in the Sectional (only Ritter is not)

Note: Chatard was in 4A two of those years (2013 and 2014).  Guerin won 2 of those Regionals in 2A

And Hamilton Heights was State Runner-up when they were NOT in that Sectional. I'm sure you remember who they played out of the South Semi-State. Ah, the good old days!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Foobird said:

4 years ago when Guerin, Brebeuf and Chatard were lumped into the same sectional (28) for the first time, I was pretty worked up about it and was convinced that the alignment was gerrymandered. Was so ticked off that I went and did research about fair ways to district sectionals. It turns out that there is a lot more research in drawing boundaries for election voting districts and it's the same issue... how do you break voters (or schools in this case) into into evenly divided geographic areas without letting politics or bias creep into the process.

Not to get too nerdy, but I discovered in voting districts a lot of research supports the a method called "Splitline Districting". The method is described here:

https://rangevoting.org/SplitLR.html

For example, here's a comparison of the best ways to divide voting districts in Indiana (current vs splitline method).

image.png.112620cad8ad6480ad42e6801c317116.png

Anywho... back at the time, I spent a couple of hours figuring out the (fair) splitline method to do 3A sectional alignment... and discovered that alignment that IHSAA came up with only had two minor differences from my method. The map that I assumed was wildly UNFAIR was actually pretty fair and splitline would have put Guerin, Brebeuf and Chatard into the same sectional that the IHSAA did. I wrote an article about it at the time and got a lot of hits and comments on that.

I will say though... I'm REALLLLLLLYYYYYY confused that Tri-West Hendricks is in a Southern Indiana sectional (29) and Chatard is in a Northern Sectional (28). The most basic division of a fair alignment method is the north/south line. That line should run straight EAST<->WEST through the middle of Indiana and divide 32 northern teams from 32 southern teams.

Here are the GPS coordinates of Chatard HS:
39.8618038 N 86.128051 W

Here are the GPS coordinates of Tri-West Hendricks HS:
39.877131 N 86.5442741 W

So....

Chartard is in a northern sectional (#28) but geographically should be in the south.
Tri-West Hendricks is in a southern sectional (#29) but geographically should be in the north.

This would appear to be a "fail" at the most basic level and makes me question the faith that I developed in the process last time.

That’s some tough luck!   I guess those teams will have to work harder and get better.

It really could have went either way, as I posted somewhere in this thread.  But I really don’t see a problem with who is on the committees.  It takes all 3 people to agree, plus the board has to approve it.  It could also be noted that Cathedral Coach/AD Rick Streiff was on the 4A committee.  No conflict there!

1 hour ago, boilerfan87 said:

I know the travel issue is a complaint, but it will be neat to see some new matchups with the new sectionals. 

I agree. On one hand it’s like “come on....”. But on the other a lot of sectionals have new opponents and different styles they will have to face. Should be interesting 

On 4/30/2019 at 2:40 AM, D3dream said:

Vincennes is probably losing their minds in excitement with that realignment. 

Yeah I almost scheduled an optometry appointment when I saw this. Can't remember the last team any VL sport was put in such an opportunistic situation...especially when it comes to sectional time. 

You have my stamp of approval IHSAA.  👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/30/2019 at 2:26 PM, Titan32 said:

It's pretty obvious a completely different strategy was employed.  You...like most of us, assumed there would be some historical president.  Nope.

North and South travel routes where the norm before (ie HWY 41 corridor).  Now it seems I 64 matters.

I-69 being completed to Bloomington changes the calculus a lot. SW Indiana is now more accessible to the Bloomington area. 

• Like 1