Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Push for neutral sites

Not sure I get why their are some out there pushing for neutral sites for semi-state and even regional games.  My thoughts are this where seeding should be used, not who plays who but who has home field.  Take CG or Westfield the last two year both teams should not have played a way game in the tournament.

• Disdain 1

Seating, parking, concessions, rest rooms are just a few of the reasons for the push for neutral sites.   Standing five deep in the end zone of a semi-state game is not a lot of fun.   The players would love playing in the larger facilities as well.  While we are at it, let's play double-header semi-states on Saturday.    Gives families more time to get to the game, in mid-November it is usually warmer during the day and having two great games to watch on a fall afternoon is hard to beat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Every year as we get past the sectional, people moan and groan about driving distances for the regionals and semistates. Neutral sites can cut those driving distances in half, in addition to providing better venues. It’s disappointing when two really good teams play a high stakes game at a subpar facility.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, whiteshoes said:

Seating, parking, concessions, rest rooms are just a few of the reasons for the push for neutral sites.   Standing five deep in the end zone of a semi-state game is not a lot of fun.   The players would love playing in the larger facilities as well.  While we are at it, let's play double-header semi-states on Saturday.    Gives families more time to get to the game, in mid-November it is usually warmer during the day and having two great games to watch on a fall afternoon is hard to beat.

Never have had that issue at the games I have gone to for those games as far as double header most families are just at the game for the team they cheer for.

20 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Every year as we get past the sectional, people moan and groan about driving distances for the regionals and semistates. Neutral sites can cut those driving distances in half, in addition to providing better venues. It’s disappointing when two really good teams play a high stakes game at a subpar facility.

When I had to drive down to Hatched house to watch CG vs BD for basketball a few years ago turned me against people groaning about travel. 

• Haha 1

Ohio has done it throughout the playoffs for years. I have sort of grown fond of the neutral venue. However limit it to regional and semi state. Seed the sectionals fully or top half minimal. Indiana does it right with the all in tournament though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trojanmp52 said:

Never have had that issue at the games I have gone to for those games as far as double header most families are just at the game for the team they cheer for.

Leave Center Grove and try going to an A semi-state game.    The we will continue this conversation.

2 hours ago, whiteshoes said:

So forget about the other sports that always play on Saturday?

1 hour ago, Basementbias said:

Ohio has done it throughout the playoffs for years. I have sort of grown fond of the neutral venue. However limit it to regional and semi state. Seed the sectionals fully or top half minimal. Indiana does it right with the all in tournament though!

Does Ohio go neutral in the later rounds or does it start in round 1?

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

For me it's not even about driving distance because I don't mind a good road trip to new or familiar areas. My longstanding gripe is that Regional and Semi-State matchups (sometimes even Sectional Titles) are often played in front of empty bleachers in horrendous Friday night weather. My hope would be mid to late Saturday afternoon game times at neutral fields could increase the crowd size. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

For me it's not even about driving distance because I don't mind a good road trip to new or familiar areas. My longstanding gripe is that Regional and Semi-State matchups (sometimes even Sectional Titles) are often played in front of empty bleachers in horrendous Friday night weather. My hope would be mid to late Saturday afternoon game times at neutral fields could increase the crowd size. 

You're competing on Saturdays in some very competitive college football timeslots and markets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Sure, if the landing was soft, and there was value at the bottom. 

Well played.  Being that I'm close to Illinois (actually I'm currently in the Loop), I'm not sure if they have neutral site games.  Although most of the 8A schools are located in the Chicago area, I also believe there are a few downstate.

22 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Well played.  Being that I'm close to Illinois (actually I'm currently in the Loop), I'm not sure if they have neutral site games.  Although most of the 8A schools are located in the Chicago area, I also believe there are a few downstate.

I don't think Illinois does neutral site, BUT they play a lot of Saturday afternoon playoff games. 

29 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

You're competing on Saturdays in some very competitive college football timeslots and markets. 

Agreed. But wouldn't that be more of a deterrent to the casual fan? Personally, I'll DVR a good college game in favor of a marquee Regional or Semi-State matchup. Of the HS sports I follow, football is the only one where the crowd size diminishes in Regionals and Semi-State. Is that due to Friday night games and/or weather conditions? Would fans be willing to travel more on a Saturday? IDK. 

2 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Starts in Round 3 now I believe. It used to only be Round 1 where the higher seeds would host, but then the OHSAA expanded their playoffs a few years back. Now the first two rounds, the higher seed hosts.

Round 3 - their "Regional Semi-Finals" - neutral sites are utilized.

20 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Agreed. But wouldn't that be more of a deterrent to the casual fan? Personally, I'll DVR a good college game in favor of a marquee Regional or Semi-State matchup. Of the HS sports I follow, football is the only one where the crowd size diminishes in Regionals and Semi-State. Is that due to Friday night games and/or weather conditions? Would fans be willing to travel more on a Saturday? IDK. 

Ask Mater Dei. I know how well Mater Dei used to travel on Friday nights (even during the sectional), but I honestly don't know how a very good 2A/3A established program like the Wildcats have been travelling. I only bring up Coach Goebel's squad because they often must play Saturday games during the tournament because of their geography and lack of (sharing...) a homefield.

3 hours ago, Boilernation said:

They've changed it up by adding teams. I believe round 2 or 3 now but used to be for every week for the most part. I think a few circumstances can make the first 2 rounds now possible. I'll be learning for sure in about 5 years or so.

Edited by Basementbias

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Ask Mater Dei. I know how well Mater Dei used to travel on Friday nights (even during the sectional), but I honestly don't know how a very good 2A/3A established program like the Wildcats have been travelling. I only bring up Coach Goebel's squad because they often must play Saturday games during the tournament because of their geography and lack of (sharing...) a homefield.

We traveled to Triton Central, Scenina and Indy in consecutive weeks (regional and SS were Friday night games) and we had huge crowds.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wildcat1992 said:

We traveled to Triton Central, Scenina and Indy in consecutive weeks (regional and SS were Friday night games) and we had huge crowds.

Just my perception, but I think programs like Mater Dei, Memorial, Chatard, Cathedral, and possibly Dwenger are unique. They seem to have very loyal alums that stay connected to the program throughout their lives. 

2 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

In my opinion, State Championship games should be hosted at one of the participant schools, just like it was before 1977. 

Waiting for Mount Vernon (Posey) or South Spencer to make it... Although, both are now more accessible with I-69 and US-231. Some debate about which school is actually further south... If I recall the MV school district goes more southern than South Spencer, but the high school Reo is more southern than Mount Vernon.

16 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Just my perception, but I think programs like Mater Dei, Memorial, Chatard, Cathedral, and possibly Dwenger are unique. They seem to have very loyal alums that stay connected to the program throughout their lives. 

I have seen some of those schools not travel as well as their public counterparts during tournament time.

13 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

In my opinion, State Championship games should be hosted at one of the participant schools, just like it was before 1977. 

That's a great idea.    That way we can sit through six games in sub-freezing weather on hard bleachers with inadequate restrooms and wait in long lines at concession stands.   Sign me up!!

• Haha 4