Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Push for neutral sites

Neutral sites were one of the perks for my kids when in HS football.  2A here don't have an over abundance of top-level facilities, plenty of nice ones but most are nothing like the 4A/5A/6A.  Kids always were up to play on a really nice field in a really nice stadium.

I am firmly behind neutral sites for post season.

On 8/2/2022 at 10:58 AM, Gipper said:

If Ohio jumped off of a bridge, would you jump, too?

Apologies for the thread drift, but curiosity got the better of me.  Found an article from Oct 2021, https://thedatajocks.com/best-states-for-high-school-football/ that used D1 scholarships per million residents as the measuring stick.  They are: 1.MIssissippi  2. Kansas  3. D.C.  4. Georgia  5. Bama  6. Florida  7. Texas  8. California          Bottom five from same article: 47. N. Dakota  48. Rhode Island   49. Montana  50. Maine   51. Vermont.

Interesting read.  Something different than what I usually look at for rankings (Maxpreps, Calprep, football forums😉).

I would have bet money that Ohio's in that top eight.  For me the big five have been: Cali, Texas, Florida, Ohio & Bama, in no particular order.  But I digress.... Back to the topic at hand.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 12:37 PM, Boilernation said:

I don't think Illinois does neutral site, BUT they play a lot of Saturday afternoon playoff games. 

Illinois mandates all playoff games on Saturday between 1 and 7pm unless BOTH teams agree on a switch to Friday to eliminate gamesmanship. *cough MD/Triton Central * cough 

I would be ok with Indiana doing the same with regional and SS rounds.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Illinois mandates all playoff games on Saturday between 1 and 7pm unless BOTH teams agree on a switch to Friday to eliminate gamesmanship. *cough MD/Triton Central * cough 

I would be ok with Indiana doing the same with regional and SS rounds.

Selfishly I'd love for Indiana to stay on Friday nights if the local Ohio teams are Saturday nights. However if it flips, then I'm good with Saturdays. I'd have to have a way to keep tabs on college football though.

On 8/2/2022 at 4:20 PM, Boilernation said:

Just my perception, but I think programs like Mater Dei, Memorial, Chatard, Cathedral, and possibly Dwenger are unique. They seem to have very loyal alums that stay connected to the program throughout their lives. 

Yep!

On 8/2/2022 at 9:59 AM, whiteshoes said:

Leave Center Grove and try going to an A semi-state game.    The we will continue this conversation.

Why would I go to a class A game I find no interest in that level of play.  But I do see what you are talking about with size of stuff.  I had a crazy idea while at CG red&white practice.

1. Seed the teams and the higher seed host all games up to rengionals

2.  5A and 6A semi-state games are played on Friday at higher seed home field.

3.  1-4 play on Saturday and the games are held at schools that hosted semi-state for 5 and 6A those school have the size and other things that you would need.

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

4 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

Why would I go to a class A game I find no interest in that level of play.  But I do see what you are talking about with size of stuff.  I had a crazy idea while at CG red&white practice.

1. Seed the teams and the higher seed host all games up to rengionals

2.  5A and 6A semi-state games are played on Friday at higher seed home field.

3.  1-4 play on Saturday and the games are held at schools that hosted semi-state for 5 and 6A those school have the size and other things that you would need.

We are completely opposite as I find the 5&6 A games as boring. Indiana has decent D1 talent, but not usually enough on each team. Give me 1 & 2A games all day. Even some 3A & maybe 4A before 5&6A.

55 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

We are completely opposite as I find the 5&6 A games as boring. Indiana has decent D1 talent, but not usually enough on each team. Give me 1 & 2A games all day. Even some 3A & maybe 4A before 5&6A.

I think a lot depends on the area you are at and schools you follow.

1 hour ago, Yuccaguy said:

Start moving HS playoff games to Saturday and you'll REALLY see a dearth of officials who won't be around in Indiana. 

Many do (various levels) of College FB on that day.  Not a great idea, IMO!  

I have no more "likes" left for today but I do like your response.

BTW, Cathedral doesn't mind playing at neutral sites.😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

Start moving HS playoff games to Saturday and you'll REALLY see a dearth of officials who won't be around in Indiana. 

Many do (various levels) of College FB on that day.  Not a great idea, IMO!  

Could the same crew work both games that is played 

I don't understand why anyone would possibly think moving playoff football to Saturday would be a good idea. Why would you want to compete against college football? Why would you want to compete against families doing weekend fall activities? why would do you want a championship game being played in the middle of the day? I see highlights of high school football being played in the middle of the day in other states and it just doesn't feel right; doesn't have an atmosphere that draws you in.  Friday nights in the fall are reserved for high school football and everyone knows it. Change for the sake of change isn't a move in the right direction. 

I understand the push for neutral site games to "level the playing field" for championships. But in no way would that benefit Indiana high school football long term. Not only would it be a logistical nightmare for schools, officials, concessions, facilities, staffers, PA announcers, etc. it just isn't conducive to a great atmosphere that should be present for big time games.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2022 at 6:00 AM, whiteshoes said:

That way we can sit through six games in sub-freezing weather on hard bleachers with inadequate restrooms and wait in long lines at concession stands.

You'd only be sitting through one game. Each class had its own playing site. 

Speaking of that, if the State Championship game is still to be played in Indianapolis, no more than three classes should be able to use a site. 

2 hours ago, npcougar15 said:

I don't understand why anyone would possibly think moving playoff football to Saturday would be a good idea. Why would you want to compete against college football? Why would you want to compete against families doing weekend fall activities? why would do you want a championship game being played in the middle of the day? I see highlights of high school football being played in the middle of the day in other states and it just doesn't feel right; doesn't have an atmosphere that draws you in.  Friday nights in the fall are reserved for high school football and everyone knows it. Change for the sake of change isn't a move in the right direction. 

I understand the push for neutral site games to "level the playing field" for championships. But in no way would that benefit Indiana high school football long term. Not only would it be a logistical nightmare for schools, officials, concessions, facilities, staffers, PA announcers, etc. it just isn't conducive to a great atmosphere that should be present for big time games.

You would have to have a list of host sites for regional and semi states beforehand. Having neutral sites would allow more Friday nights than some of the current one matchups. A lot of matchups of teams on the Ohio border vs teams on the Illinois border are held on Saturdays already. 

13 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

You would have to have a list of host sites for regional and semi states beforehand. Having neutral sites would allow more Friday nights than some of the current one matchups. A lot of matchups of teams on the Ohio border vs teams on the Illinois border are held on Saturdays already. 

There isn't one benefit to neutral site games other than the "even playing field" argument.

If you get the privilege to host a sectional/regional/semi-state championship; there is nothing better than having thousands in your community come together to pack the stands and cheer on their team while standing along the fence line and end zones on a cold November night. On the other hand there is also nothing quite like the privilege in going to an opposing teams packed stadium with your faithful fans and bringing home a trophy to ruin their entire year. If neither one of those gets you going then you don't belong near a football field on Friday night. 

Also, I understand games get played on Saturday...It happens. Weather postponements, traveling conflicts, field availability, etc. all play a role in it. But to schedule championship games on a Saturday at a neutral site would set Indiana high school football back 20 years. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, npcougar15 said:

There isn't one benefit to neutral site games other than the "even playing field" argument

Even if that were true - it demonstrably isn’t - that’s like saying “Aside from that, Mrs.Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?”

52 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

Finding officials for one or two games is a lot easier than finding officials for 12, 24 or 48 games being played on Saturdays. 

After Sectionals the IHSAA gets the gate revenue after paying officials, a modest host site fee, modest travel stipend, and the revenue from the first 200 tickets being split between the 2 participating schools. A home team/town crowd plus 1 loyal traveling fan group is going to produce more gate revenue than 2 loyal traveling fan groups, plus site host expenses and travel stipends would likely increase.

As a loyal traveling fan, the atmosphere is what I would miss most. As bad a drive as it is, I'd rather play East Central in St. Leon than in Sellersburg.

6 hours ago, npcougar15 said:

I don't understand why anyone would possibly think moving playoff football to Saturday would be a good idea. Why would you want to compete against college football? Why would you want to compete against families doing weekend fall activities? 

Easy for a fan of New Prairie to say. 
SB St Joe, Lowell, Northridge. Every single one of those schools is 60-70 minutes away.

Meanwhile down south Evansville Memorial faced Northview (2.5 hours), East Central (4 hours - via Ohio and Kentucky) and Mt Vernon (3.5 hours). 

You can worry about fall Saturday activities, I think allowing students to stay in school until 3 and parents to work until 5 is kind of a big deal too. 

Neutral sites? I agree. That would never work. But Saturdays can make sense sometimes

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Easy for a fan of New Prairie to say. 
SB St Joe, Lowell, Northridge. Every single one of those schools is 60-70 minutes away.

Meanwhile down south Evansville Memorial faced Northview (2.5 hours), East Central (4 hours - via Ohio and Kentucky) and Mt Vernon (3.5 hours). 

You can worry about fall Saturday activities, I think allowing students to stay in school until 3 and parents to work until 5 is kind of a big deal too. 

Neutral sites? I agree. That would never work. But Saturdays can make sense sometimes

I agree there are A LOT of 3A-5A schools piled on one another in the northwest part of the state.

Sounds to me like the IHSAA needs to have some by-law stating if BOTH schools agree to play on a Saturday then go for it. This situation is circumstantial and needs to be addressed as such. 

• Like 2

On 8/7/2022 at 10:28 AM, DanteEstonia said:

You'd only be sitting through one game. Each class had its own playing site. 

Speaking of that, if the State Championship game is still to be played in Indianapolis, no more than three classes should be able to use a site. 

So, I would not get to see the other five championship games.  Would miss some exciting football under this plan.

On 8/7/2022 at 1:06 PM, npcougar15 said:

There isn't one benefit to neutral site games other than the "even playing field" argument.

If you get the privilege to host a sectional/regional/semi-state championship; there is nothing better than having thousands in your community come together to pack the stands and cheer on their team while standing along the fence line and end zones on a cold November night. On the other hand there is also nothing quite like the privilege in going to an opposing teams packed stadium with your faithful fans and bringing home a trophy to ruin their entire year. If neither one of those gets you going then you don't belong near a football field on Friday night. 

Also, I understand games get played on Saturday...It happens. Weather postponements, traveling conflicts, field availability, etc. all play a role in it. But to schedule championship games on a Saturday at a neutral site would set Indiana high school football back 20 years. 

Not really the even field as much as it is travel time & distances and enticing more neutral fans for $