Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Purdue 2022

DumfriesYMCA

I didn’t see another Purdue thread so I figured i should start one

to start things off…last night Rickie Collins, QB from Baton Rouge, de-committed from Purdue.  

it’s highly likely he stays close to home and commits to LSU.

this leaves Purdue without anyone for 2023….and more/less opens the door for Brady Allen to take over as likely a redshirt freshman (assuming he redshirts) next year.  Mike Alaimo I believe will be a redshirt senior and pretty much everyone else will have graduated.  

looking good for Allen just has to continue to develop and make the most of this year behind AOC 

13 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I didn’t see another Purdue thread so I figured i should start one

to start things off…last night Rickie Collins, QB from Baton Rouge, de-committed from Purdue.  

it’s highly likely he stays close to home and commits to LSU.

this leaves Purdue without anyone for 2023….and more/less opens the door for Brady Allen to take over as likely a redshirt freshman (assuming he redshirts) next year.  Mike Alaimo I believe will be a redshirt senior and pretty much everyone else will have graduated.  

looking good for Allen just has to continue to develop and make the most of this year behind AOC 

Thanks for starting the thread.  Over at hammerandrails.com, there's not a lot of worry.  Most people are very high on Brady Allen.  I think Yanni Karlaftis should also be given a shot...

7 hours ago, Gipper said:

Thanks for starting the thread.  Over at hammerandrails.com, there's not a lot of worry.  Most people are very high on Brady Allen.  I think Yanni Karlaftis should also be given a shot...

I think yanni is going to turn it on this year….but I can’t help but feel he would have been a better fit in Wisconsin.  

they just coach up their Lbs so much and over the last 5 years have consistently been one of the elite defenses in college football.  But I’m also biased haha 

1 hour ago, temptation said:

8-4

Could be, but I think 9-3 or 10-2 are also possibilities.

Penn State—toss up

Indiana State—definite win 

Florida Atlantic—most likely win

Syracuse—closer than thought win 

Minnesota—possible loss

Northwestern—solid win

Nebraska—hard-fought win

Wisconsin—likely loss

Iowa—definite win

Illinois—sneaky tough win

Maryland—quality win

Indiana—blowout win

Edited by Gipper
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gipper said:

Could be, but I think 9-3 or 10-2 are also possibilities.

Penn State—toss up

Indiana State—definite win 

Florida Atlantic—most likely win

Syracuse—closer than thought win 

Minnesota—possible loss

Northwestern—solid win

Nebraska—hard-fought win

Wisconsin—likely loss

Iowa—definite win

Illinois—sneaky tough win

Maryland—quality win

Indiana—blowout win

Here is where I am at:

vs Penn State:  lean loss (as silly as this sounds, this game could set the tone for the entire season, its a Thursday night so it'll be a great atmosphere)

vs Indiana State:  win

@ Syracuse:  lean win (Purdue teams seem to always drop one they should not so this one scares me a bit)

vs Florida Atlantic:  win

at Minnesota:  lean loss (just don't know what to make of the Gophers)

at Maryland:  lean win (already tired of the Taulia hype, guy throws it to the other team too much)

vs Nebraska:  lean win (not a believer in Frost but no other team in America was more unlucky in 2021 than the Huskers)

at Wisconsin:  lean loss (Camp Randall is the difference)

vs Iowa:  lean win (Boilers seem to always have Iowa's number, pick your WR to go for 200+)

at Illinois:  win (Illini are better but not good enough yet)

vs Northwestern:  win (like Fitz but I think he moves on from his alma mater eventually)

at Indiana:  lean win (Hoosiers are better than 2021 but nowhere near 2020 form; it will be close)

This adds up to 9.  But there are so many toss ups here.  Anything from 5-7 to 10-2 is possible IMO.

8 minutes ago, temptation said:

Here is where I am at:

vs Penn State:  lean loss (as silly as this sounds, this game could set the tone for the entire season, its a Thursday night so it'll be a great atmosphere)

@ Syracuse:  lean win (Purdue teams seem to always drop one they should not so this one scares me a bit)

at Maryland:  lean win (already tired of the Taulia hype, guy throws it to the other team too much)

vs Nebraska:  lean win (not a believer in Frost but no other team in America was more unlucky in 2021 than the Huskers)

vs Iowa:  lean win (Boilers seem to always have Iowa's number, pick your WR to go for 200+)

vs Northwestern:  win (like Fitz but I think he moves on from his alma mater eventually)

at Indiana:  lean win (Hoosiers are better than 2021 but nowhere near 2020 form; it will be close)

This adds up to 9.  But there are so many toss ups here.  Anything from 5-7 to 10-2 is possible IMO.

Wow, didn't realize just how favorable their schedule was....again.

Have to feel like anything less than 8 wins is a mild disappointment given the scheduling dynamic. 

26 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Wow, didn't realize just how favorable their schedule was....again.

Have to feel like anything less than 8 wins is a mild disappointment given the scheduling dynamic. 

Yep, no OSU, Michigan or MSU plus PSU at home in a night game for the opener.

Edited by temptation

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Here is where I am at:

Great summation.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 7:53 AM, temptation said:

Here is where I am at:

I'm definitely not about to get my hopes up, but if Purdue gets a few lucky bounces and stays relatively injury-free, I can see them entering the Wisconsin game at 6-1 or even 7-0. If they can use that momentum to end the Wisconsin losing streak, I really like the rest of their schedule. With that being said, the run blocking will have to improve in under to even have a shot at winning the division, let alone the pipe dream of contending for a playoff berth.

On 8/26/2022 at 12:12 PM, AG said:

I'm definitely not about to get my hopes up, but if Purdue gets a few lucky bounces and stays relatively injury-free, I can see them entering the Wisconsin game at 6-1 or even 7-0. If they can use that momentum to end the Wisconsin losing streak, I really like the rest of their schedule. With that being said, the run blocking will have to improve in under to even have a shot at winning the division, let alone the pipe dream of contending for a playoff berth.

image.png.1b24d08f5063390d7982394c77d17e43.png

• Haha 1

This game for Purdue is huge. I also think it is for Penn State. It seems PS needs a good start to the season or they struggle the rest of the way. I felt the OT loss at IU set the tone for them a couple years ago. For Purdue, a huge stage for the home opener. Start off well will build confidence. I think the West division is wide open; who knows what can happen. If Purdue wins tonight, I would consider them to be in the hunt. 

6 hours ago, temptation said:

This one’s on Brohm…

You had three drives to end the game…and continued to throw.

If you give a team three possessions in the final 5 minutes, the likelihood of them cashing in is pretty damn high.

And throw the ball at Joey Porter. Why? 

18 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I'm fully confidant Purdue wins tonight. Of course, that same thought is why I suffer so much as a Purdue fan.

Sounds about right.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, temptation said:

This one’s on Brohm…

You had three drives to end the game…and continued to throw.

If you give a team three possessions in the final 5 minutes, the likelihood of them cashing in is pretty damn high.

Obviously hindsight, but clock management burned them there but I don't know that I necessarily blame Brohm for being aggressive and trying to win the game.

Needs to be more situational awareness from AOC. Purdue had 2nd and very long and then 3rd and 30 on that second to last drive and both times AOC threw the ball down the field into coverage that resulted in incompletions. Have to know that picking up a first down there on those kind of throws are slim to none. Check down or underneath routes are there. Brohm clearly trusted AOC in those situations or he would have called design runs. 

Purdue was the better team than Penn State last night, and that's a testament to how bad Franklin is at coaching, but you're not going to beat many teams, let alone Penn State when you commit that many bonehead penalties and play so poor fundamental football (missed tackles, blown coverage, etc). That's a game I'm sure Reese Taylor is going to want to forget. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, temptation said:

No one snatches defeat from the jaws of victory quite like Purdue athletics.

Last night's game was very Kevin Wilson-esque and reminiscent of his tenure in Bloomington. Brohm is a very good and aggressive player caller and I hate that he coaches at  Purdue because he's easy to root for, but he there are times where he just can't get out of his own way. 

• Like 1