Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Purdue 2022

DumfriesYMCA

16 hours ago, ragdoll said:

Verdict remains to be seen, but he may be a thrift store version of former Illinois coach Mike White. 

I don't know man, he is coming off a 9 win campaign, and has brought the Boilers back from the dreadful Hazel and meh Hope era's and has rejuvenated an entire program with the help of the new AD.   

Has he had some poor coaching moments, absolutely, in this profession it happens, especially in a place like the B10, but he is a career 31-31 at Purdue and should finish with a bowl game winning record again and if thing fall right, maybe an appearance in the B10 title game.  

3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I don't know man, he is coming off a 9 win campaign, and has brought the Boilers back from the dreadful Hazel and meh Hope era's and has rejuvenated an entire program with the help of the new AD.   

Has he had some poor coaching moments, absolutely, in this profession it happens, especially in a place like the B10, but he is a career 31-31 at Purdue and should finish with a bowl game winning record again and if thing fall right, maybe an appearance in the B10 title game.  

I hear your positive outlook. I was positive about the Brohm hire.

My hesitation is that they have had two very high level playmakers that required other teams to put a lot of attention on: Bell on O and Karlaftis on D. Was waiting and seeing how it played out going forward in recruiting and results on field next few seasons. 

And, Tennessee game was 7 on 7, so, I discount that. 

2 hours ago, ragdoll said:

I hear your positive outlook. I was positive about the Brohm hire.

My hesitation is that they have had two very high level playmakers that required other teams to put a lot of attention on: Bell on O and Karlaftis on D. Was waiting and seeing how it played out going forward in recruiting and results on field next few seasons. 

And, Tennessee game was 7 on 7, so, I discount that. 

No doubt, more than fair, stacking some good classes in a row is key and development of those guys, especially in the crazy world of transfer portals and NIL.   

I am surprised not to see more of Nic Caraway, big time DE from Texas.  But I know Hagen LOVES to rotate his D-Line all the time and gets guys lots of experience in small snippets.  

I thought TJ Sheffield would be more impactful by now, but snagging Charlie has been vital for the success as well. 

4 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

No doubt, more than fair, stacking some good classes in a row is key and development of those guys, especially in the crazy world of transfer portals and NIL.   

I am surprised not to see more of Nic Caraway, big time DE from Texas.  But I know Hagen LOVES to rotate his D-Line all the time and gets guys lots of experience in small snippets.  

I thought TJ Sheffield would be more impactful by now, but snagging Charlie has been vital for the success as well. 

Although the passing game looks to be in good hands, I like the emergence of the running backs, most notably Mockobee and Downing.

another grinder.....why not do one more QB sneak, not score on 3rd down, and take another 35 sec off the clock, kick a shorter than PAT FG to put the lead to 4 where they have to go almost full field to score with less than 30 secs 

I can see it both ways, but man its maddening how they finish games, great DPI by Allen to save a TD and tremendous call on the Lineman down field

Onto Nebraska 

On 10/7/2022 at 2:32 PM, Gipper said:

Although the passing game looks to be in good hands, I like the emergence of the running backs, most notably Mockobee and Downing.

Yes, two walk-ons outperforming those recruited on scholarship. Traditionally, top powers such as Nebraska were regulars at having walk-on starters who were in-state, regional, but those programs had a depth of dudes that could play, unlike the Purdue and IU types.  In today's NIL, portal led landscape, I have no way of surmising what it means when your top two players at a position are non-recruited (meaning non-scholarship, we all know you offer who you value). 

And, these two players were intrinsic to the success against Minnesota and Maryland (both road victories),  other wannabe programs Purdue and IU have to beat to get above average.

Another point previously broached was that winning the West division would be a boon to success. Observe how bad Northwester is this year after playing in title game in 2020 and 2018 (although they were bad in 2019, also).

• Like 1

knock I've heard which I just hate hearing is that major programs didn't know how to really evaluate Mockabee because of the smallish school he played for down south, seemed silly to me, especially with his track success, you know he is just a freak of an athlete.   Glad he chose the Boilers.   I think Dowing was a Carmel kid who took scholly to UNLV, for a year and then came back.  

I wonder how much the covid years as log jammed some positions that would normally be scholly kids that just have to wait a year.??

• Like 2

I would also mention with Mockabee from south end of state, did IU ever make a play on him. High-level track performers, even if not football first naturals, put tremendous pressure on defenses. Renaldo Nehemiah was not a great receiver, but teams were forced to deal with his potential for big plays. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fun Game last night, glad to been able to take it in.   Felt like should of been 2-3 td win, but gave up chunk plays too often unfortunately.   Double time of possession, double 1st downs, over 600 yards of offense, got to get some more distance then what they did. 

Onto Wisconsin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Correct, not sure who else gave him scholarship offers other than Navy 

Looks like Valpo and Hanover...that is what 247 listed.  How does a 3 star not get more offers??  With an offer from Navy, the young man had to be pretty darn good in the classroom.

https://247sports.com/player/devin-mockobee-46102150/

Looks like a Purdue walk-on.  What a grab for the Boilers!  

https://www.si.com/college/purdue/football/purdue-walk-on-devin-mockobee-taking-advantage-of-increasing-opportunity

Edited by Bash Riprock
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

check out his PU bio, wonder if our Titan Friends around these parts had some nightmares about him, I bet Brady Allen gave the staff a solid vouch for him as well, I believe Allen would of been a JR when he was SR at Booneville.   

https://purduesports.com/sports/football/roster/devin-mockobee/11411

Dude absolutely torched us. Looked like Bo in Tecmo Bowl.

Correct, he was a class ahead.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

check out his PU bio, wonder if our Titan Friends around these parts had some nightmares about him, I bet Brady Allen gave the staff a solid vouch for him as well, I believe Allen would of been a JR when he was SR at Booneville.   

https://purduesports.com/sports/football/roster/devin-mockobee/11411

419 yds against GS on 28 carries??  Wow!

Did you see his track accomplishments?  Ist in state long jump....2nd in high hurdles.

How did so many miss out on this tremendous athlete????  (recruiting world and colleges)

17 hours ago, temptation said:

Time to exercise those Madison/Camp Randall demons Boilermakers.

Cannot believe you are getting two points.

I think I was present for the last win vs Wisconsin in 2003 in Madison, Ben Jones game winning FG, JR Kyle Orton led team I think.   My brother coaching HS football in Wisconsin at the time (in Texas now) and got 2 free tickets to 1 Badger game a year from coaching association, so he snagged PURDUE game and it was their homecoming.  MAD TOWN USA was something else!!   So much fun.  Cannot suggest enough a trip to enjoy your favorite team play in Camp Randall 

14 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Did you see his track accomplishments?  Ist in state long jump....2nd in high hurdles.

How did so many miss out on this tremendous athlete????  (recruiting world and colleges)

I have seen that track resume,  my guess is folks just focused on weight vs production and attributes and scared off of the 170-180 pound frame he carried at the time.   His quick twitch is very useful 

7 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I have seen that track resume,  my guess is folks just focused on weight vs production and attributes and scared off of the 170-180 pound frame he carried at the time.   His quick twitch is very useful 

I guess Coach...just shows recruiting is hardly an exact science.  Guessing the experts hit more than they miss...but sometimes they are really off the mark.

Diamonds in the rough are what make good teams, great.  The Boilers sure got a diamond right out of southern Indiana.

Edited by Bash Riprock

3 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

I guess Coach...just shows recruiting is hardly an exact science.  Guessing the experts hit more than they miss...but sometimes they are really off the mark.

Diamonds in the rough are what make good teams, great.  The Boilers sure got a diamond right out of southern Indiana.

He has been a lot of fun to watch.  Saturday's game will be something else.

11 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I think I was present for the last win vs Wisconsin in 2003 in Madison, Ben Jones game winning FG, JR Kyle Orton led team I think.   My brother coaching HS football in Wisconsin at the time (in Texas now) and got 2 free tickets to 1 Badger game a year from coaching association, so he snagged PURDUE game and it was their homecoming.  MAD TOWN USA was something else!!   So much fun.  Cannot suggest enough a trip to enjoy your favorite team play in Camp Randall 

I'll be there on Saturday (among UW fans, then again ticket prices have plummeted)--always a great environment.

6 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

to quote the one and only Dan Dakich, "Who ranks the rankers" 

On 10/18/2022 at 9:24 AM, Bash Riprock said:

419 yard and 5tds doesn’t even begin to explain what he did to the GS defense that night. 

kid did the defense so bad that it literally went viral.  99 yard td….runs where he broke 6+ tackles on his way for a TD….there was one where he split between two defenders, put the ball behind his back and into his other hand like a basketball move off the dribble…the two GS players ran into each other…and he galloped for another TD.  There is a video out there where he has like 2 highlights from this one game on it. 

I still don’t understand how GS won that game other than they had Brady Allen who was just able to go basically TD for TD with mockobee.

As for the recruiting part.  I’m really not sure.  I recall though that his track accomplishments at state were his senior year…which april/may after signing day in February as a senior…pretty tough to do anything with that.

also his big season was the 2020 season with covid so that definitely hurt 

• Like 1