Jump to content
  • Current Donation Goals

    • Raised $3,162.05 of $3,600 target

Purdue 2022


DumfriesYMCA
 Share

Recommended Posts

I think the worst part about the transfer portal era isn’t even the transferring part

its seeing the fans reactions and seeing them attack high character kids for making a decision to leave.  A quick Twitter search of Mr. Allen shows a lot of support but also so many “don’t let the door hit you on the way out” “you’re a quitter” “kids these days don’t want to work for it” 

it’s just effing stupid reading some of these comments.  The fans think they still own the kids playing the game for their entertainment…the players just try to do what’s best for their future…sometimes at the coaches suggestion….and it immediately turns into some person shaming them and attacking their character. 

it’s just tough seeing a kid like Brady go from one of the most adored players in the state and beloved by everyone at Purdue….to seeing people immediately attack his character just weeks after praising him for doing charity work for Purdue or him just at practice next to Brees learning 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Purdue Head Coach is 37 years old, from all accounts, big selling point was how he will be able to relate with the 2023 college football landscape, this is no different then a teenager on Twitter with last name Brohm losing his mind with his "bat signals" every time Purdue got a verbal last 6 years.   I see no problems with the HC doing a short video promoting his team after snagging what many thought was the #1 QB in the portal.   OC is 36, the DC is 37, this is what new NIL/Portal College football looks like, sounds like, adapt or die they say. 

We here in Indiana, have been rooting for the local (some more local for others) kid in Brady Allen, me one of them, Purdue was ALWAYS going to be going into this season even if Brohm was here looking for another QB, bottom line, Brady Allen was not anointed the starter for the upcoming season, article his dad gave pretty much outlined that and away they go, knowing that Hudson Card was going to come in and have 2 years left.   

Any Boiler fan would be doing victory laps, if Hudson Card came to Purdue straight from HS, I want to say he was like top 50 player coming out, he wasn't going to beat out Ewers and like Temp mention, their is a certain new QB entering that room too.   From what I can gather, Harrell prefers a more dual threat and has more RPO in his system where as Brohm was more of a traditional pocket gunslinger (Brady Allen's skill set) system he calls.  

 

 

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/hudson-card-212787?view=pv

 

110 overall, 3rd best dual threat coming out if you get into the ole Rankings 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I think the worst part about the transfer portal era isn’t even the transferring part

its seeing the fans reactions and seeing them attack high character kids for making a decision to leave.  A quick Twitter search of Mr. Allen shows a lot of support but also so many “don’t let the door hit you on the way out” “you’re a quitter” “kids these days don’t want to work for it” 

it’s just effing stupid reading some of these comments.  The fans think they still own the kids playing the game for their entertainment…the players just try to do what’s best for their future…sometimes at the coaches suggestion….and it immediately turns into some person shaming them and attacking their character. 

it’s just tough seeing a kid like Brady go from one of the most adored players in the state and beloved by everyone at Purdue….to seeing people immediately attack his character just weeks after praising him for doing charity work for Purdue or him just at practice next to Brees learning 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Alduflux said:

 

Spot on lol

 

35 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Purdue Head Coach is 37 years old, from all accounts, big selling point was how he will be able to relate with the 2023 college football landscape, this is no different then a teenager on Twitter with last name Brohm losing his mind with his "bat signals" every time Purdue got a verbal last 6 years.   I see no problems with the HC doing a short video promoting his team after snagging what many thought was the #1 QB in the portal.   OC is 36, the DC is 37, this is what new NIL/Portal College football looks like, sounds like, adapt or die they say. 

We here in Indiana, have been rooting for the local (some more local for others) kid in Brady Allen, me one of them, Purdue was ALWAYS going to be going into this season even if Brohm was here looking for another QB, bottom line, Brady Allen was not anointed the starter for the upcoming season, article his dad gave pretty much outlined that and away they go, knowing that Hudson Card was going to come in and have 2 years left.   

Any Boiler fan would be doing victory laps, if Hudson Card came to Purdue straight from HS, I want to say he was like top 50 player coming out, he wasn't going to beat out Ewers and like Temp mention, their is a certain new QB entering that room too.   From what I can gather, Harrell prefers a more dual threat and has more RPO in his system where as Brohm was more of a traditional pocket gunslinger (Brady Allen's skill set) system he calls.  

 

 

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/hudson-card-212787?view=pv

 

110 overall, 3rd best dual threat coming out if you get into the ole Rankings 

There’s a lot of this I completely agree on…but my bias + what I know about Brady just makes it more irritating in some ways.

like Brady ran a spread RPO offense his entire Hs career.  that plus knowing rivals had him around 120/130 and on3 has him at 40 and the #4 QB of his class.

to me at least it’s more about the coach wanting someone with game experience to help attain early success…and with that, it’s just tough timing for a young QB. 

Either way I wouldn’t chaulk this up as an upgrade or anything.  This is more of a wait and see thing….card probably does great for the boilermakers but it’s what happens when he leaves…will Purdue be at a point to keep the success rolling or will they be trying to find another portal QB with game experience because they don’t trust a young guy yet? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I think the worst part about the transfer portal era isn’t even the transferring part

its seeing the fans reactions and seeing them attack high character kids for making a decision to leave.  A quick Twitter search of Mr. Allen shows a lot of support but also so many “don’t let the door hit you on the way out” “you’re a quitter” “kids these days don’t want to work for it” 

it’s just effing stupid reading some of these comments.  The fans think they still own the kids playing the game for their entertainment…the players just try to do what’s best for their future…sometimes at the coaches suggestion….and it immediately turns into some person shaming them and attacking their character. 

it’s just tough seeing a kid like Brady go from one of the most adored players in the state and beloved by everyone at Purdue….to seeing people immediately attack his character just weeks after praising him for doing charity work for Purdue or him just at practice next to Brees learning 

Don’t let “some people” speak for the masses.  They just scream the loudest.

Mike Tyson said it best…

”Social media made y’all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it.”

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, temptation said:

Don’t let “some people” speak for the masses.  They just scream the loudest.

Mike Tyson said it best…

”Social media made y’all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it.”

Most of it is good….you see people wishing him the best and saying sorry things didn’t work out.

but yeah those bad apples stick out…especially those without situational awareness Or understanding of the college landscape in general.  Shoot half of them probably believe that all these kids are transferring because they are chasing money and they all have these big deals lined up 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/27/2022 at 10:18 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

Purdue Head Coach is 37 years old, from all accounts, big selling point was how he will be able to relate with the 2023 college football landscape, this is no different then a teenager on Twitter with last name Brohm losing his mind with his "bat signals" every time Purdue got a verbal last 6 years.   I see no problems with the HC doing a short video promoting his team after snagging what many thought was the #1 QB in the portal.   OC is 36, the DC is 37, this is what new NIL/Portal College football looks like, sounds like, adapt or die they say. 

We here in Indiana, have been rooting for the local (some more local for others) kid in Brady Allen, me one of them, Purdue was ALWAYS going to be going into this season even if Brohm was here looking for another QB, bottom line, Brady Allen was not anointed the starter for the upcoming season, article his dad gave pretty much outlined that and away they go, knowing that Hudson Card was going to come in and have 2 years left.   

Any Boiler fan would be doing victory laps, if Hudson Card came to Purdue straight from HS, I want to say he was like top 50 player coming out, he wasn't going to beat out Ewers and like Temp mention, their is a certain new QB entering that room too.   From what I can gather, Harrell prefers a more dual threat and has more RPO in his system where as Brohm was more of a traditional pocket gunslinger (Brady Allen's skill set) system he calls.  

 

 

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/hudson-card-212787?view=pv

 

110 overall, 3rd best dual threat coming out if you get into the ole Rankings 

Now that the dust had settled I feel better about the situation. I wish Allen well and I look forward to watching him wherever he ends up; however, it's clear he wasn't going to be anointed QB1 by Brohm or Walters/Harrell wihtout a competition. At the end of the day Walters has to make the tough decisions that he feals are necessary to win. And as Coach alluded above, the odds were likely stacked against Allen at Purdue considering he's not the prototypical QB for Harrell's offense.

Still, IMO, the Twitter video was cringe. I'll accept that this stuff is the norm for some coaches in modern day college athletics, but I'll never enjoy it. Seems childish.

Edited by Boilernation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/27/2022 at 10:18 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

Purdue Head Coach is 37 years old, from all accounts, big selling point was how he will be able to relate with the 2023 college football landscape, this is no different then a teenager on Twitter with last name Brohm losing his mind with his "bat signals" every time Purdue got a verbal last 6 years.   I see no problems with the HC doing a short video promoting his team after snagging what many thought was the #1 QB in the portal.   OC is 36, the DC is 37, this is what new NIL/Portal College football looks like, sounds like, adapt or die they say. 

We here in Indiana, have been rooting for the local (some more local for others) kid in Brady Allen, me one of them, Purdue was ALWAYS going to be going into this season even if Brohm was here looking for another QB, bottom line, Brady Allen was not anointed the starter for the upcoming season, article his dad gave pretty much outlined that and away they go, knowing that Hudson Card was going to come in and have 2 years left.   

Any Boiler fan would be doing victory laps, if Hudson Card came to Purdue straight from HS, I want to say he was like top 50 player coming out, he wasn't going to beat out Ewers and like Temp mention, their is a certain new QB entering that room too.   From what I can gather, Harrell prefers a more dual threat and has more RPO in his system where as Brohm was more of a traditional pocket gunslinger (Brady Allen's skill set) system he calls.  

 

 

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/hudson-card-212787?view=pv

 

110 overall, 3rd best dual threat coming out if you get into the ole Rankings 

Coach, I seem to remember Purdue fans taking a victory lap last year when Brady Allen was secured. I guess sometimes 10 months is a lifetime ago. 
 

As far as not having an issue with a coach making promo type videos….well,  that depends on the coach!!  😆

05672558-9810-40B2-834E-CF69463A88D5.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Coach, I seem to remember Purdue fans taking a victory lap last year when Brady Allen was secured. I guess sometimes 10 months is a lifetime ago. 
 

As far as not having an issue with a coach making promo type videos….well,  that depends on the coach!!  😆

05672558-9810-40B2-834E-CF69463A88D5.jpeg

I’m surprised LSU didn’t go down in disaster.  Their whole coaching change was messy and BK didn’t exactly get off to the best start in terms of the public eye.

 

2 weeks into the season their top WR was threatening to leave the team and it looked like a mess for the locker room 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I’m surprised LSU didn’t go down in disaster.  Their whole coaching change was messy and BK didn’t exactly get off to the best start in terms of the public eye.

 

2 weeks into the season their top WR was threatening to leave the team and it looked like a mess for the locker room 

 

Good points. Kelly seems like the type of guy that can weather a storm though. I know he got really choked up after the Alabama win, but he just strikes me as the type that wouldn't be phased at all by a rabid Bayou Bengal fanbase, Donors, etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was one of those guys doing a victory lap, bummed he is transferring, but not naive to know that it was more than likely going to happen when you have a freebie to use anyways.  I think Allen committed to Brohm early, so him leaving after athletes spend all that time in recruiting building relationships and while on campus as well.   So it goes.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO, this matchup wasn't a good one from the beginning.  Purdue without a QB was awful to watch today.  It just shows how important the QB position really is.

And I will never again be a Brian Kelly fan.  I don't care about anything he accomplished at Notre Dame, the way he left was classless!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

IMO, this matchup wasn't a good one from the beginning.  Purdue without a QB was awful to watch today.  It just shows how important the QB position really is.

And I will never again be a Brian Kelly fan.  I don't care about anything he accomplished at Notre Dame, the way he left was classless!

that was a serious beatdown.....I thought Kelly would take his foot off the gas a little more than he did.  When I saw them passing into the endzone with a 42-0 lead, (ended in a pick I think) that had me scratching my head.  

Tough flight home......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

that was a serious beatdown.....I thought Kelly would take his foot off the gas a little more than he did.  When I saw them passing into the endzone with a 42-0 lead, (ended in a pick I think) that had me scratching my head.  

Tough flight home......

I watched at most 3 minutes of that game. The writing was on the wall when it was known the amount and quality of Purdue starters who were sitting out. LSU has way too much talent across their depth charts for a seriously depleted Purdue team to compete with. With that said, is it fair to criticize Brian Brohm and Hagen at all for that performance? Personally, I would have been embarrassed if I were them. No fight whatsoever. Nor did they look prepared. 

 

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I watched at most 3 minutes of that game. The writing was on the wall when it was known the amount and quality of Purdue starters who were sitting out. LSU has way too much talent across their depth charts for a seriously depleted Purdue team to compete with. With that said, is it fair to criticize Brian Brohm and Hagen at all for that performance? Personally, I would have been embarrassed if I were them. No fight whatsoever. Nor did they look prepared. 

 

I'm with you..Kelly had to know Purdue was depleted....that is why I thought he could have taken his foot off the gas more than he did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, ragdoll said:

was still a bit surprised at how bad Purdue was

not at all 

half the staff gone, the other half was one foot in one foot out

Why do you think so many guys got hurt?  The last month was a mess and that was the end result, if they played in a NON JAN bowl, things may have not been so messy, but that was the cards they had to play, appreciate some of the guys who entered the portal and played but they were out gunned, out classed, from the moment Jeff Brohm left. 

NOW, as I have seen many players tweeted and discussed, onto to Fresno State and The Coach Walters era 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2023 at 10:56 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

not at all 

half the staff gone, the other half was one foot in one foot out

Why do you think so many guys got hurt?  The last month was a mess and that was the end result, if they played in a NON JAN bowl, things may have not been so messy, but that was the cards they had to play, appreciate some of the guys who entered the portal and played but they were out gunned, out classed, from the moment Jeff Brohm left. 

NOW, as I have seen many players tweeted and discussed, onto to Fresno State and The Coach Walters era 

I get it, but I don't like it. Guys were getting paid too much money to be one foot in and one foot out. Everyone needs to be held accountable, epecially at those pay levels, to produce and not just mail it in. A loss was inevitable. Coaches, paid by Purdue, mailing it in because of the situation is inexcusable to me.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I get it, but I don't like it. Guys were getting paid too much money to be one foot in and one foot out. Everyone needs to be held accountable, epecially at those pay levels, to produce and not just mail it in. A loss was inevitable. Coaches, paid by Purdue, mailing it in because of the situation is inexcusable to me.  

no doubt, just a tough situation all the way around in the current landscape, you just pick the pieces up and get back at it with new crew and get to work 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...