Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

DTs Dandy Dozen - Region Recap

Only having to win 2 games in 6a and 5a also is a big difference in my opinion then the traditional 8 team, 3 week sectional of the other classes of football.

It is hard to play well, stay injury free, hope all your kids make grades/stay eligible and then beat for the most part at least 2 quality opponents in those 3 weeks.  

in 6a/5a:  Win 1 game:  Then you play for a trophy.   Just a different feel to it in my humble opinion.  

• Upvote 1

If success factor  brings up Lowell, put them  in 6A!!!

Posted (edited)

I think what folks are trying to say about CP is congrats for winning the 6A sectional 2 years in a row.  Just be thankful not in 5A or even 4A because you wouldn’t have won either year.

Edited by NPFan

36 minutes ago, NPFan said:

I think what folks are trying to say about CP is congrats for winning the 6A sectional 2 years in a row.  Just be thankful not in 5A or even 4A because you wouldn’t have won either year.

Very well said

And true

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Even your own forum members on the RSN are ripping the DAC after week 1.  

Somebody posted that Portage would be lucky just to "win a few games" this season and looked "very predictable" on offense. 

20 years ago a 3-7 season would have been unthinkable at Portage.  Buzea is one the most prolific offensive coaches that I have ever seen anywhere.

Going to be nice to see the likes of coach Buzea, Zac Wells, Tom Cicero, Albert Evans and coach Pratt back on the sidelines in the region on Friday night. 

Edited by tommy

44 minutes ago, tommy said:

Somebody posted that Portage would be lucky just to "win a few games" this season and looked "very predictable" on offense. 

20 years ago a 3-7 season would have been unthinkable at Portage.  Buzea is one the most prolific offensive coaches that I have ever seen anywhere.

Going to be nice to see the likes of coach Buzea, Zac Wells, Tom Cicero, Albert Evans and coach Pratt back on the sidelines in the region on Friday night. 

Do you see Albert Evans on the path to a head coaching opportunity at the high school level?  Or perhaps he might move on to college football?  

Like what Coach Kinsey has been building at Morton since taking over, we missed seeing them this past summer, but our freshman are will be heading up to the Mansion end of September:

Highlights from the WJOB stream last week vs Highland, who also looked improved when we saw Coach Koulianos squad this summer.   

https://twitter.com/MortonGovsFball/status/1032360124675973120

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

Do you see Albert Evans on the path to a head coaching opportunity at the high school level?  Or perhaps he might move on to college football?  

He probably would not want to take a cut in pay to leave H-F and coach at the college level or to another school.  I once seen a listing of all the teachers salaries at H-F and half the staff makes over 6 figures and the rest makes close too it.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, tommy said:

He probably would not want to take a cut in pay to leave H-F and coach at the college level or to another school.  I once seen a listing of all the teachers salaries at H-F and half the staff makes over 6 figures and the rest makes close too it.

That is one helluva feeding trough they've got over at HF. 

Wonder if Mason might be the next to jump on board. 

Edited by DrivenT

3 hours ago, DrivenT said:

I know for a fact he applied for another HFC job in Indiana and it was down to him and another guy ... and the other guy got the nod.

11 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Given the opportunity I would jump at it.  

Here is the 2017 administration and teacher salary report for Homewood-Flossmoor High School:

https://www.hfhighschool.org/assets/1/24/2017_EIS_Admin_and_Teacher_Salary_Benefit_Report.pdf

Posted (edited)

Yes you had to figure Mason would take the next natural step in his progression and took his shot at the big boys. Ben Davis perhaps? Boy that would have shook the state a little bit. Wheeler, Andrean, Michigan City, who just being considered the favorite in that conference seems nothing short of a miracle considering their history and where they were even just two years ago when Mason took the job. Sure they had some unharvested talent but his well-rounded coaching staff has helped him clearly transform this program, he's a good coach and man what a great week two matchup with H-F who is better than anyone they will see in the DAC this year. (((Covers from rocks thrown from CP fans)))

I also think he runs funny. He kinda sticks his chest in front of his shoulders and does the superhero run. Maybe his back hurt, who knows but this was during during my brief coaching career when Bob Prescott let me hang out and run drills (I had to work my way up from video coordinator, so perhaps TOO rapid an ascent yes yes perhaps) and we finished 7-4 that year and came back and beat Munster after they beat us 28-21 in game in week one and followed that up by getting rapped on the knuckles by Rensselaer (AGAIN) 37-2. That was a big deal because Kankakee Valley simply never won games against Munster, didn't happen. They beat us soundly when KV had some really good years that went relatively unnoticed in 1994-95 when they went 5-4, 6-3 respectively and bounced by the Mustangs in both sectional openers. James Broyles was a part of those teams, and the Northwest Hoosier Conference even with its large footprint had some solid teams up and down and the Kougs had some rather pedestrian years when the talent pool was rich.

This rebuild will take time. The first few drives in week 1 were cringe-worthy and hard to watch but i think he's got enough talent to maintain until he can get everyone in line behind him (youth leagues, middle school, the community), and it was cool to see them still put up a fight after seeing one of their leaders fall to an ankle injury. Hopefully Mr. Nannenga is on a fast track to recovery, but either way this game with Wheeler is pretty big because they aren't going to be favored often this season. And looking at the roster of 42 (I think that's what was on the program, easy fact checkers relax the red pen) for grades 10-12 for a school of over 1,000 seems small but actually it's pretty much par for the course at KV. Even with a few frosh my senior year in 2002 we had under 40 and most anyone that could play was going both ways and contributing to the special teams, otherwise we would not have even won the 4 games and certainly would not have won the spooktacular performance we had against an albeit down South Bend Washington squad. If he can find a way to get Wheatfield and DeMotte to come together and stay committed to wanting a winner (we had a nice crowd friday), I think he could be the man to do it. However change doesn't come easy 'round these parts and I doubt KV challenges for a sectional or conference crown in the next two years but in all fairness its been one game into a season that's been tumultuous even by KV coaching carousel standards.

In tribute after we beat SBW, the Plymouth Rockies beat us like we stole Thanksgiving dinner 57-0 on a chilly evening in very early November. I think our team was down to under 30 players and out our best horse (RB/LB Travis Stansberry) finally succumbed to a litany of injuries including a concussion when he made things interesting by putting us on his back and putting us in the endzone against a North Judson team who had given up ONE TD in the previous 5 games. Those guys were good, they made us eat dirt by a score of 51-6 and didn't give up another score until they pasted a good Rensselaer team 29-10 in the sectional semifinals and went undefeated until they ran into a freak Luers team at semi-state that beat them 29-3. Good stuff.

Edited by silvertone1696

It's in limbo, but Illinois pension plan is still working, 

3 hours ago, tommy said:

Given the opportunity I would jump at it.  

Here is the 2017 administration and teacher salary report for Homewood-Flossmoor High School:

https://www.hfhighschool.org/assets/1/24/2017_EIS_Admin_and_Teacher_Salary_Benefit_Report.pdf

Wow, I knew Illinois teachers were paid more, but impressive to see this list. I know all of those Indiana people that work on his staff don't live in Illinois and pay their ridiculous taxes. 

22 hours ago, DACNUT said:

Wow, I knew Illinois teachers were paid more, but impressive to see this list. I know all of those Indiana people that work on his staff don't live in Illinois and pay their ridiculous taxes. 

Look what the H-F human resources director rakes in (the person listed above Buzea), she also gets 20 vacation days and 15 sick days in addition to the summer off.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:39 AM, bobref said:

I know for a fact he applied for another HFC job in Indiana and it was down to him and another guy ... and the other guy got the nod.

other guy got the Nod cause mason wanted AD. lets not kid ourselves here. 

41 minutes ago, tommy said:

Look what the H-F human resources director rakes in (the person listed above Buzea), she also gets 20 vacation days and 15 sick days in addition to the summer off.

Well look at Superintendent, that is not bad for only 3000 students. 

42 minutes ago, DACNUT said:

Well look at Superintendent, that is not bad for only 3000 students. 

3000 students in the HS?  Or HF school corp?

MC losing in OT, saw the play on the twittersphere.   ooof.  right there with them.  

Wolves will be alright as the season continues 

That performance will serve them well and they wouldn't likely see another opponent on that level until the possible semi-state showdown with New Palestine, as these two schools are certainly head and shoulders above the rest in the 5A North.

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:29 AM, bobref said:

I’ve seen CP from field level both of those years. The fact that they’ve won that sectional two years in a row supports @DrivenT‘s point that the Duneland is way down from where it was 5-10 yrs. ago.

Yes it is but that's not what was said.  

What was said was..."Will CP ever get things tuned around and be a factor in post-season play??"

"Havent they developed any talent that can deliver on Friday nights.??."

The answer is:  They have. They do.  That's my point.  

Only the 'message board mafia' suggests that sectional championship wins in the big school bracket is not 'delivering on Friday nights'

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:27 PM, tommy said:

It is sweet......Its hard to feel anything but good for the people there....

H-F has something like 2,700 kids....   great school..with lots of athletic talent and more moving in all the time..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Yes it is but that's not what was said.  

What was said was..."Will CP ever get things tuned around and be a factor in post-season play??"

"Havent they developed any talent that can deliver on Friday nights.??."

And my observation was directed not at that specific remark, but at a point @DrivenT has made on numerous occasions: that the caliber of football played in the DAC has been declining for some time now.