Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BDGiant93

Ben Davis at Avon

Recommended Posts

Hendricks Regional Health Field will be alive tonight as the defending state champs roll into town to face the loaded O's. Should be a good one betwixt these two Sectional rivals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a huge collection of D-1 talent on the field lead on offense for both squads Sampson James (Ohio State) and Delbert Mimms III (Vandy). This is going to be a great game that might very well come down to the last play should be fun can't wait to watch best of luck to both teams! Go O's 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be an outstanding game!  Avon has yet to win a regular season game from the Giants, but that could very well change tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could be the year for Avon but I think they come up just short.  Gimme BD 35-31.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fun game. Avon survives a rally by BD. Great win for the Orioles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see the stats.  I'm sure Avon was over 100 yards in penalties and they were at critical times.  BD also had ill-timed penalties and there were turnovers both ways.  James tweaked his right knee in the 2nd quarter and wasn't effective the rest of the game.  But he was nearly unstoppable for 1 1/2 quarters.  Hope the knee is not serious.  The Giants have plenty of weapons, they just need more experience.  I think they will be top three in a more balanced MIC and provide more than Warren really wants come sectional time.  Avon has a huge roady at Brownsburg in 2 weeks and they will undoubtably meet again in sectionals.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised to say this and no offense intended but for the first time in the history of this rivalry, I believe Avon had the clear talent advantage.  Never thought I would say that.

Hard hits on both sides.  Big plays.  Two GREAT running backs.  BD simply could not contain James, especially in the first half.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I agree, Avon was the better team last night, but Avon should be a bit concerned that an almost entirely new Ben Davis team had a chance to beat an Avon team that has title hopes.  If my memory serves me correct, Ben Davis only returned 5 starters, Avon 18.  I’m encouraged if I’m BD that you’re within a TD of what is one of the teams on the short list to win 6A.

Ben Davis made a lot of errors last night and had some interesting play calls that turned into Avon points, which was costly for the Giants.

BD has a lot of room for growth.  This type of loss exposed a lot of weaknesses in which they’ll be able to improve.  I like this Avon team and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a rematch in the semi-state.

Edited by INFBallToday85
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Temptation said:

Surprised to say this and no offense intended but for the first time in the history of this rivalry, I believe Avon had the clear talent advantage.  Never thought I would say that.

Hard hits on both sides.  Big plays.  Two GREAT running backs.  BD simply could not contain James, especially in the first half.

 

Why should there be offense taken to that comment?  BD is replacing a 52 senior team and also adding in a brand new junior QB.  Avon returned a ton of talent.  The fact that Avon only won by 5 says a lot about BD.

 

If you thought BD didn’t have a chance to repeat, you should add them to the Warren, Carmel, Avon, Penn, Brownsburg list.  Dare I say North Central?  😁😁😁

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't Mimms go out with a leg injury in 2nd qtr? I don't remember seeing him come back, I could be wrong. Saw some great things from the new QB and WR's tonight, mainly in the 2nd half.  We appear to be thin at RB outside of Mimms.

Play calling on the offensive side needs to improve. The 4th and long when down by only 1 TD in the first half. The passing plays out of the end zone on 1st and 2nd down after being pinned deep with Avon punts.

I tend to not be critical of play calling anymore (because I understand how difficult coaching can be), but last night was....interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mimms went down in the 3rd quarter I believe.  Looked bad initially but he was walking up and down the sidelines moments afterwards.  Don’t think he ever came back in.

1 hour ago, INFBallToday85 said:

Why should there be offense taken to that comment?  BD is replacing a 52 senior team and also adding in a brand new junior QB.  Avon returned a ton of talent.  The fact that Avon only won by 5 says a lot about BD.

 

If you thought BD didn’t have a chance to repeat, you should add them to the Warren, Carmel, Avon, Penn, Brownsburg list.  Dare I say North Central?  😁😁😁

I also think the stigma is out there that a school of 4500 should be able to just reload though I disagree with the logic, some don’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Mimms went down in the 3rd quarter I believe.  Looked bad initially but he was walking up and down the sidelines moments afterwards.  Don’t think he ever came back in.

I also think the stigma is out there that a school of 4500 should be able to just reload though I disagree with the logic, some don’t.

I still think they reloaded.  Only about 3 schools in all of Indiana could lose 52 players, then turn around and be top 5 next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Playcalling didn't change. Same offensive coordinator for the last...I don't know...7-8 years now. I think the coaching staff was being aggressive. It's early, and I think they wanted to show these guys they had confidence in them and believe in them. I'm quite happy with the way BD played. I didn't think they played well at all against Tech, and I think they stood up well against a legit Avon team.

Avon had better worry about that other purple and white team in Hendricks County first. This wasn't the first time they beat BD, and those were in Sectional games. One year, they were a couple of plays from the finals. That's why I was surprised by the charging of the field. Seemed a lot for the second game of the year vs. this BD team. Guess it just goes to show you what beating the defending state champs means.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. It was a fun one! On to Pike for BD.

14 hours ago, INFBallToday85 said:

I still think they reloaded.  Only about 3 schools in all of Indiana could lose 52 players, then turn around and be top 5 next year.

The depth is very young. They are coming along! Loss of Reese Taylor and the receiving corps was brutal, too.

Edited by BDGiant93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Playcalling didn't change. Same offensive coordinator for the last...I don't know...7-8 years now. I think the coaching staff was being aggressive. It's early, and I think they wanted to show these guys they had confidence in them and believe in them. I'm quite happy with the way BD played. I didn't think they played well at all against Tech, and I think they stood up well against a legit Avon team.

Avon had better worry about that other purple and white team in Hendricks County first. This wasn't the first time they beat BD, and those were in Sectional games. One year, they were a couple of plays from the finals. That's why I was surprised by the charging of the field. Seemed a lot for the second game of the year vs. this BD team. Guess it just goes to show you what beating the defending state champs means.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. It was a fun one! On to Pike for BD.

The depth is very young. They are coming along! Loss of Reese Taylor and the receiving corps was brutal, too.

Never thought I’d see someone from BD play the moral victory card...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Temptation said:

Never thought I’d see someone from BD play the moral victory card...

I don’t think BD is saying this was a moral victory.  Let’s really call it like it is, a BD team that lost 52 seniors and had the ball with a chance to defeat the team that will either be ranked #2 or #3 this week.  It’s alright to be happy about that in week 2.  If this were sectionals, BD would be extremely disappointed.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Temptation said:

Never thought I’d see someone from BD play the moral victory card...

No moral victory. Giants lost for the first time in 15 games. That stinks. BD had multiple opportunities in this game which should concern Avon, I think.

5 hours ago, INFBallToday85 said:

If this were Sectionals, BD would be extremely disappointed.

Yep. Gotta win when it counts. The season is just geting started. Final exams are in October and November.

Edited by BDGiant93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×