Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional maps

The sectionals are now mapped. Check out the link for a map of the 2019-20 sectionals (note: for 5A/6A, the 2019 alignment is the one listed. Valpo moves to Sectional 9 in 2020, SB Adams/Mishawaka move to Sectional 10 & Elkhart moves to Sectional 2. 

(and if you're interested in boys basketball, here is that map. Regionals are grouped in colors - 1-4 in each class are red/orange, 5-8 are purple/blue, 9-12 are green/yellow and 13-16 are grey/black/brown). 

• Like 4

Some thoughts

6A: North is pretty self-explanatory. Lafayette Jeff had to go northwest. Someone had to go northeast, and Noblesville is the farthest north/east school in Hamilton County. The biggest question was what to do with 5/6/7 with Zionsville entering. IHSAA decided to split Pike/BD and group Zionsville with Pike, Brownsburg & Avon. That moved BD to Sectional 7 and allowed Sectional 6 (WC/LC/LN/NC) to largely stay together in a grouping that has been pretty consistent through most sports. 

5A: Makes perfect sense how the IHSAA handled the Elkhart/Valpo/SB/Mishawaka situation in sectional 9/10. Again, the north writes itself. The south sees some changes - the Bloomington schools get grouped with Evansville instead of Terre Haute, but I-69 being completed changes the calculus there. I-69 now makes Evansville closer to Bloomington than Terre Haute drive-time wise, and also creates an I-70 sectional w/THN-THS-DC-Plainfield (which is pretty consistent with how the IHSAA groups other sports). That basically left two schools on islands - BNL & Seymour. IHSAA decided to send BNL south and Seymour north. 

4A: Shelbyville & Beech Grove trade places, with BG going south and Shelby going north with its HHC brethren for the first time (instead of having to deal with East Central every year). Mooresville/Martinsville being grouped with the Cincinnati/Louisville area schools will be a bear of a drive. Same with Northview - which is on an island - and the Evansville-area schools. 

3A: By far the toughest class to group in the south every year. The five I-74 schools in southeastern Indiana are often together, and the question is, who do they go with? This time, three schools down the I-65 corridor, which will make for some interesting travel. Southwestern Indiana being grouped horizontally along I-64 instead of vertically along U.S. 41/231 is different than normal. Marion County gets split in half, with the north side schools going toward Lafayette/Hamilton County, while the south side schools get grouped in with west central Indiana (Hendricks County & I-70). Geographically, it on the surface makes sense to send WL to 18, Knox to 19, TV to 20 and Northwestern to 21, but that would've split Northwestern away from the Maconaquah/Peru/Oak Hill clump, which is likely why WL is going south instead of north. 

2A: Again, grouping southern Indiana is really difficult. Triton Central & Union County get the short straw here - especially UC, which is closer to Dayton than it is to Mitchell & Paoli. As is typical, the three northern Indiana sectionals are grouped Northwest (Region area), north central (SB/MIsh area) and northeast (FW area) with the fourth being the clump around Anderson/Kokomo/Marion. The problem is, there are 18 schools for 16 spots in Central Indiana, and two had to go south. I probably would have moved Union County into the I-70 sectional and bumped one of the Indianapolis schools (Scecina or Howe) south as those schools have easier access to I-65.  

1A: Some interesting groupings. The one that stuck out to me most was Attica being sent north instead of in its usual sectional along the Wabash River. Sectionals 47 and 48 write themselves and are the two easiest to group in the class, but I would've flipped their regionals by renumbering Sectional 45 as 47. Only real change I'd make is Attica to 45, Traders Point to 46 and Sheridan to 42 ... and possibly flip South Newton and North White. [edit: Attica was moved to 45 and Traders Point to 42. I'd still flip TPCA & Sheridan for geographic reasons ,but it's a solid map]

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CoachHolt said:

I'm not sure if there was a typo in the original release, but after clicking on the link again this morning it appears that Attica and Traders Point have been flipped. Attica is now in Sectional 35 and Traders Point has been moved north to Sectional 42. 

Interesting, the change has officially been made. That makes much more geographic sense. Attica is in 45. 

1 hour ago, crimsonace1 said:

Some thoughts

6A: North is pretty self-explanatory. Lafayette Jeff had to go northwest. Someone had to go northeast, and Noblesville is the farthest north/east school in Hamilton County.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the fact that it was "self-explanatory". While I'm just fine with the fact that Warsaw is not in Penn's sectional, the set-up could have very easily been:

Sectional 1: Crown Point, Lake Central, Merrillville, Portage

Sectional 2: Chesterton, Penn, Valparaiso, Warsaw (Elkhart still replacing Valpo in 2020)

Sectional 3: FW Carroll, Fishers, Hamilton Southeastern, Homestead

Sectional 4: Carmel, Lafayette Jefferson, Noblesville, Westfield

My thought process with sending HSE/Fishers up I-69 is their proximity to the highway. Yes, Noblesville is further north than both of those schools, but Fishers and HSE are boht quicker trips TIME wise FW Carroll and Homestead than Noblesville is. And you have a sectional of 4 schools with 2 schools both close to each other. Noblesville definitely got the shaft travel wise in 6A.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

My thought process with sending HSE/Fishers up I-69 is their proximity to the highway. Yes, Noblesville is further north than both of those schools, but Fishers and HSE are boht quicker trips TIME wise FW Carroll and Homestead than Noblesville is. And you have a sectional of 4 schools with 2 schools both close to each other. Noblesville definitely got the shaft travel wise in 6A.

The IHSAA will minimize the drives as much as possible. There are three teams in the Region, so Jeff fits very well there as it's halfway between Hamilton County & Lake County, so it's got a drive either way. That allows for a grouping of four along the Toll Road corridor in north central Indiana, and there are three teams in the Fort Wayne area (counting Warsaw). Only one team was going to be sent north from Hamilton County and Noblesville is the farthest northeast team. It got the short straw travel-wise, but with 11 schools north of SR 26, someone was going to. 

2 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I also thought the same thing, but the drive down 38 to Pendelton exit from NHS is really not a big deal at all.  Patayto patahto

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I know you are upset about going to FW. I am curious if there is somewhere else you think they should go?

I'm not upset about the Tigers going to Fort Wayne. No disrespect to Homestead and Carroll (and Noblesville), but none of those teams are on the level of Penn. An additional benefit for Warsaw facing those teams is the fact that I don't believe any of them face an offense like Bart Ball all season long.

I outlined my alternative sectional groupings in a few posts above. Please feel free to see the answer to your question there.

My "argument" was more to the statement of it being a no-brainer the way 6A shaked out, when I believe my scenario had some credibility to it as well. As @US31 states above, Patayto - Patahto 😊

• Like 2

On 4/30/2019 at 10:07 AM, crimsonace1 said:

4A: Shelbyville & Beech Grove trade places, with BG going south and Shelby going north with its HHC brethren for the first time (instead of having to deal with East Central every year). Mooresville/Martinsville being grouped with the Cincinnati/Louisville area schools will be a bear of a drive. Same with Northview - which is on an island - and the Evansville-area schools. 

Northview is indeed on an island. Google directions show the shortest possible trip (to Jasper) would still take 2 hours! Not sure too many others can match that for shortest possible Sectional trip.