DrivenT

DTs Dandy Dozen - Trending Up, Trending Down

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Not quite ready to jump off the Cathedral train yet but their record is going to worse before it gets better with Cincy St. X looming next week. I think most reasonable fans expected a step back given the loss of talent from the year prior. Record isn’t as disappointing as much as it is disappointing that Cathedral had 4th quarter leads in all three of their losses. One could easily be talking about how much Cathedral is trending up had they’d down a couple things different these last few weeks. Not ready to write the Irish off just yet even though there is still potentially 2-3 more losses on the schedule, but if the Irish can remain injury free they will not go quietly come tournament time.

Great assessment -- they have talent at several positions. Just not putting it all together yet. From everything I have heard Pebbles is an excellent coach and has talent for offense.  Is he calling the plays?

7 hours ago, DrivenT said:

In CI, the Terre Haute schools will look west, Bloomington schools will go south and CN and Southport will align with Indy, CN to the HCC and SP to The CCC

A far better solution:

1. Send BNL, Martinsville, and Northview to CI

2. Send Columbus North to the HHC

3. Send Southport to the Mid-State.

6. Trending Down / Michigan City - Is the bloom off the rose in MC?  The  2-2 Wolves lost to rival Valpo 14-7 in a game that most Michigan City fans and Duneland watchers were expecting the team to win.  Perhaps there is still a letdown from the Homewood Flossmoor loss.  MC has a big game this week at Merrillville which will have a huge impact on the final conference outcome.

MC has two remaining away games on the DAC schedule.  Friday @ Merrillville and @ Portage in week 7.  None of the Michigan City schools (Elston, Rogers and MCHS) has never won back to back away game at Merrillville and Portage.  The win over Chesterton  was the first time Michigan City won back to back away games against the Trojans since Rogers in 1976 and 1978, 40 years ago.

The kids at Michigan City always tell me that they want to do things for the school and community that has never been done before.

8 minutes ago, NorthIndySports said:

Great assessment -- they have talent at several positions. Just not putting it all together yet. From everything I have heard Pebbles is an excellent coach and has talent for offense.  Is he calling the plays?

I don’t believe so, at least not yet, but could change. Talent is definitely there but inexperience is showing, especially late in games. 

21 minutes ago, NorthIndySports said:

Per Sags (admittedly, its still probably a week away from being close to on point) Cathedral has played the 2nd toughest schedule in the State.  I think that is probably not too far off (bearing in mind, it doesn't consider Carmel's and WC's out of state games at Trinity...neither does it include the Elder game Cathedral played, though).  Frankly, their record may have less to do with putting things together than playing the second toughest schedule in the State. 

Some of the voting I am seeing seems to forget that - btw, Sags currently have them ranked 10th overall in the State right now (No.2 in 5A behind NP)

That said, I actually felt like the terrible weather worked more in Cathedral's favor Friday than against them - never thought I would write that sentence.

Edited by Lysander

23 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Per Sags (admittedly, its still probably a week away from being close to on point) Cathedral has played the 2nd toughest schedule in the State.  I think that is probably not too far off (bearing in mind, it doesn't consider Carmel's and WC's out of state games at Trinity...neither does it include the Elder game Cathedral played, though).  Frankly, their record may have less to do with putting things together than playing the second toughest schedule in the State. 

Some of the voting I am seeing seems to forget that - btw, Sags currently have them ranked 10th overall in the State right now (No.2 in 5A behind NP)

That said, I actually felt like the terrible weather worked more in Cathedral's favor Friday than against them - never thought I would write that sentence.

See I think the weather was the great equalizer. Now I know this isn’t your fathers Chatard team, hell it isn’t even your older brothers Chatard team as they like to run out of the gun and sling it all over the field, but so does Cathedral and I think if there’s one thing Cathedral has a strong advantage (and in years past) it’s the fact they have a lot more athletes who can burn Chatard when given space. I think the weather severely hindered Cathrdral’s ability to do that and this became a “between the tackles” game and Chatard was well up to the task.

39 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

See I think the weather was the great equalizer. Now I know this isn’t your fathers Chatard team, hell it isn’t even your older brothers Chatard team as they like to run out of the gun and sling it all over the field, but so does Cathedral and I think if there’s one thing Cathedral has a strong advantage (and in years past) it’s the fact they have a lot more athletes who can burn Chatard when given space. I think the weather severely hindered Cathrdral’s ability to do that and this became a “between the tackles” game and Chatard was well up to the task.

Honestly, it just didn't look like that on film.  That said, its out there livestreaming if anyone wants to watch it. Happy to let others judge. Other than the punt return I thought Chatard looked overall more athletic....certainly faster to the ball on defense.  A lot more passing options...which were entirely eliminated as options in the 1st half because of the weather.  No doubt, they were better on the LOS on both sides as well.

EDIT - since myself and my closest 1,100 friends were stuck home Friday evening with a power outage I was bailing water out of the basement and looking for 300 X 50 X 30 Cubits of wood and only able to watch it on film a few times rather than see it live.  Did get some follow up info from some on the sideline who verified my thoughts as to it though.

Edited by Lysander

9 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Honestly, it just didn't look like that on film.

I rewatched it this afternoon and just came away with Chatard winning the LOS and subsequently the football game. Both teams scored on long, flukey, busted coverage-esque pass plays, but outside those players (and Cathedral’s punt return where #5 was easily the best athlete on the field) Cathedral was relegated between the tackles and Chatard won that battle.

Edited by Footballking16

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:22 PM, DrivenT said:

5. Trending Down / Indianapolis Cathedral - The Irish lost to little brother Chatard this week.  Prior losses to rapidly improving Brownsburg and Cincinnati Elder were not totally unexpected, but isn't Cathedral "supposed" to beat Chatard?  Doesn't Cathedral usually have the pick of the litter in terms of all city wide CYO players?  CHS seems to always get a break for its sometimes mediocre regular season record, putting all of its emphasis on post season success.  Is that the best approach for the student athletes?  I'm not so sure.  

Okay, since you intended to be provocative, I will bite.

Just who could ever know? 

The ONLY Parochial/Private in Indy (from what I can tell) that prominently lists the Elementary/Jr. High Schools that their varsity players attended is Chatard.

Of the 92-94 players on Chatard's Varsity squad only 2 were not CYO kids (based on my glimpse at the roster).  Public information.  Its on the web.  Its on every gameday roster the school passes out to anyone buying tickets.

Chatard has proudly documented this since at least Coach L's time.  It's far from unintentional...its a point of pride.

My sense is that Ritter, Scecina and Roncalli are likely based on those kids as well...though I can't verify it based on public information.  Which surprised me a bit when I tried to look it up.

Neither can I verify it for Cathedral.

Just "whatever" CYO kids Chatard played with last Friday seemed to be good enough...whoever they might have been playing. 

Edited by Lysander
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

I rewatched it this afternoon and just came away with Chatard winning the LOS and subsequently the football game. Both teams scored on long, flukey, busted coverage-esque pass plays, but outside those players (and Cathedral’s punt return where #5 was easily the best athlete on the field) Cathedral was relegated between the tackles and Chatard won that battle.

Monetefalco's TD was definitely busted coverage.  It was a matter of making a lob pass (the commentators said the same...the guy was in a different zip code from any defender).   To define Kassenbrook's 60-70 yard TD reception as busted coverage is a bit of an insult to the Irish defensive player who gave his best attempting to defend it.  No busted coverage there.

Admittedly, Sanders TD was impressive.  Still, its a team sport.

Apologies..but I think you are being a bit of a "homer" here. 

C'mon...PBJ (luv you PBJ) saw the same game I saw.

BTW, the Irish are going to be fine. 

Edited by Lysander

55 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Monetefalco's TD was definitely busted coverage.  It was a matter of making a lob pass (the commentators said the same...the guy was in a different zip code from any defender).   To define Kassenbrook's 60-70 yard TD reception as busted coverage is a bit of an insult to the Irish defensive player who gave his best attempting to defend it.  No busted coverage there.

Admittedly, Sanders TD was impressive.  Still, its a team sport.

Apologies..but I think you are being a bit of a "homer" here. 

C'mon...PBJ (luv you PBJ) saw the same game I saw.

BTW, the Irish are going to be fine. 

Don't get me wrong, Chatard was the better team and the team that deserved to win and I attribute that to a) they made the fewest mistakes/turnovers and b) controlled the LOS/dominated the TOP in the second half.

I just think we have a differing view on the weather. I just think that because of the weather, it severely hindered Cathedral's ability to get the ball to their athletes in space and I believe that to be the one facet of the game where Cathedral enjoys a significant advantage over Chatard, and why they have dominated the series going back 10+ years. But because the weather was so bad it became an "in-between the tackles" game and Chatard won that battle.

The Chatard long TD catch wasn't "blown" coverage, but the defender absolutely fell down/was falling down as the ball was in flight and he was already conceding 4-5 inches as is to a taller TE. It was definitely a jump ball situation on single coverage where the ball fluttered out of the QB's hands (because of the weather) and a battle that the Chatard TE won and with the DB falling down, it was a relatively easy 70 yard trot to the end zone from there.

No homerism here, I figured this was going to be a tougher game with or without the weather as I am always high on the Trojans, and they as the better team won fair and square. 3A is easily the best class top to bottom and Chatard is definitely the team to beat. I'm not ready to give up on the Irish yet, long way to go but the real season doesn't start for another 6 weeks.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

the real season doesn't start for another 6 weeks.

True, and isn’t that a pity?

7 minutes ago, bobref said:

True, and isn’t that a pity?

Beginning to feel more that way every year....still, not quite ready to sign up.

35 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

3A is easily the best class top to bottom and Chatard is definitely the team to beat.

3A is as good as I have ever seen...been that way the last couple of years.

Until another 3A team kills the King (Evansville Memorial)...THEY are the team to beat

On 9/8/2018 at 2:22 PM, DrivenT said:

How does Kokomo go from state finalist to 0-4 with a 39-183 point differential?

Good question.  Did the talent in Kokomo really fall off that high of a cliff or is Brett Colby (now "retired" and helping his son coach at 3A Maconaquah) that good of a head coach?

12 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

A far better solution:

Schools pick conferences, they are not sent to them.  

Perry Meridian will not allow Southport into the Mid States.   Perry left CI to get away from Southport

Martinsville loves the Mid State. Only way they leave is if they get kicked out, which could happen given the history of the Martinsville fan base. 

BNL is rock solid in the Hoosier Hills

Edited by DrivenT
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Perry Meridian will not allow Southport into the Mid States.   Perry left CI to get away from Southport.

Perry Meridian and Southport share a Superintendent; if the Superintendent wants them both in the same conference, they will support each other’s bids.

11 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Perry Meridian and Southport share a Superintendent; if the Superintendent wants them both in the same conference, they will support each other’s bids.

The super wants them in separate conferences.  He doesn't want them competing against each other for conference championships and All Conference honors.  

Edited by DrivenT
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

A far better solution:

I've heard Southport has no interest in joining the Mid-State...reliable sources.

13 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

A far better solution:

According to who? 

12 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

According to who? 

According to me, and the geography of Indiana.

5 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

According to me, and the geography of Indiana.

Northview in Conference Indiana? Laughable. Martinsville has been there and left. BNL is far too far south for that lineup especially since Southport is not moving.

Columbus North makes some sense, but they've never been a HHC team...ever. At 6A the only school around their size would be Jeffersonville, and the Red Devils are a great basketball school but struggle in football.

If geography is the case, well then Covenant Christian should do really well in the MIC with Ben Davis.

Edited by BDGiant93

16 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

BNL is far too far south for that lineup especially since Southport is not moving.

BNL is 4 miles closer to Southport HS than TH South. I take it you do not teach geography.

3 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

BNL is 4 miles closer to Southport HS than TH South. I take it you do not teach geography.

Nope...but Terre Hautes aren't ideal either for Conference Indiana. They are on an island. 

I would be surprised if Columbus North has an interest in joining HCC.  They are the smallest 6A, by enrollment, school and would be one of the smallest in the HCC.  

1 hour ago, BDGiant93 said:

Nope...but Terre Hautes aren't ideal either for Conference Indiana. They are on an island. 

They are, however, a good pair with the Bloomington schools.