Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
komets3001

2018 Hoosiers

Just like other years recently, I am starting the bandwagon for the 2018 Indiana Hoosiers as a surprise team in the Big 10. This year’s team will be in a bowl game and might very well go 8-4 or 9-3 this year. They are in the midst of putting a beating on Ball State today, who really pushed Notre Dame last week in South Bend losing 24-16. Looks like Indiana will win 38-10 today. I think Indiana has a good chance to beat Michigan State next week in Bloomington and then go to Rutgers and win as well before having to visit Ohio State. I would take a 5-0 record to start this season happily...

• Upvote 3

Solid team win. Nice to see multiple weapons emerging on the offense. Good to see the defense playing well too.

Agreed about the defense as that has been the area in the last several years that has been severely lacking. They really seem to be winning in the trenches and stopping the run which is the key to winning football. They also have a lot of weapons offensively and seem to be able run and pass the football equally well.

• Upvote 1

Winning last week in the rain against a good Virginia team said a lot about this years' Hoosiers.  Scott has been a big surprise in the running game.  One thing I've noticed during games this year:  a LOT of the players who's names get announced are from Indiana high schools.  We had heard that Allen had roots for recruiting in Indiana.  For him to get players to come to IU and not leave the state, is a good thing to see and really great for the program.  Unless there are some major injuries, this team has a good chance of winning 7 or 8 games this year and a better bowl.  Still early yet, but I see signs. 

33 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Winning last week in the rain against a good Virginia team said a lot about this years' Hoosiers.  Scott has been a big surprise in the running game.  One thing I've noticed during games this year:  a LOT of the players who's names get announced are from Indiana high schools.  We had heard that Allen had roots for recruiting in Indiana.  For him to get players to come to IU and not leave the state, is a good thing to see and really great for the program.  Unless there are some major injuries, this team has a good chance of winning 7 or 8 games this year and a better bowl.  Still early yet, but I see signs. 

Allen has a shot at his first signature win with Michigan State coming in this weekend

The schedule was designed to set IU up at 3-0 before MSU comes calling

I would not say it was exactly built for them to be 3-0 necessarily. While not the best team in their conference, Virginia is still a solid football team, and have been over the course of this series with IU. That said, answer this.....in all your pre season wroting about Purdue and IU, did you really see one program at 0-3 and the other at 3-0? All the hype around WL, not just from you, but this is a huge bust so far for Purdue. With low expectations, nit just from you, IU has been a pleasant surprise. 

48 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I would not say it was exactly built for them to be 3-0 necessarily. While not the best team in their conference, Virginia is still a solid football team, and have been over the course of this series with IU. That said, answer this.....in all your pre season wroting about Purdue and IU, did you really see one program at 0-3 and the other at 3-0? All the hype around WL, not just from you, but this is a huge bust so far for Purdue. With low expectations, nit just from you, IU has been a pleasant surprise. 

Virginia is awful.   They have the poorest talent in The ACC. They are basically to the ACC what IU has been to The Big Ten historically, a strong basketball school that *%#!?*s at football

Bronco Mendenhall will likely be fired after this season.   He has failed to get that program moving since leaving BYU, which was shocking on its own merit

I was hoping for a 2-1 start for IU, so 3-0 is icing on the cake.   But IU has not won a game yet under Allen that it wasn't expected to win or be competitive in.  MSU is the perfect opponent for a break thru win.   Not a patsy like Rutgers or Illinois, nor a brute like Wisconsin or OSU

I am "cautiously optimistic" 

My thoughts on PU in the PU thread

Edited by DrivenT

3 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Virginia is awful.   They have the poorest talent in The ACC. They are basically to the ACC what IU has been to The Big Ten historically, a strong basketball school that *%#!?*s at football

Bronco Mendenhall will likely be fired after this season.   He has failed to get that program moving since leaving BYU, which was shocking on its own merit

I was hoping for a 2-1 start for IU, so 3-0 is icing on the cake.   But IU has not won a game yet under Allen that it wasn't expected to win or be competitive in.  MSU is the perfect opponent for a break thru win.   Not a patsy like Rutgers or Illinois, nor a brute like Wisconsin or OSU

I am "cautiously optimistic" 

My thoughts on PU in the PU thread

Wait, didn’t you just previously say IU’s schedule was set up for them to go 3-0? But you admit that you were “hoping” they went 2-1, yet you somehow still find away to complain? In a year where the B10 appears to be atrocious outside OSU, IU going 3-0 and taking care of business in the process is one of the bigger surprises so far. There’s only one game on IU’s schedule as of today that I will concede a loss and that’s at Ohio State. Not saying IU is going to go 11-1, but I think at minimum they go 7-5 with a realistic shot at 8, maybe 9 wins. Would be pretty impressive for a coach that you’ve already railroaded after one year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Wait, didn’t you just previously say IU’s schedule was set up for them to go 3-0? But you admit that you were “hoping” they went 2-1, yet you somehow still find away to complain? In a year where the B10 appears to be atrocious outside OSU, IU going 3-0 and taking care of business in the process is one of the bigger surprises so far. There’s only one game on IU’s schedule as of today that I will concede a loss and that’s at Ohio State. Not saying IU is going to go 11-1, but I think at minimum they go 7-5 with a realistic shot at 8, maybe 9 wins. Would be pretty impressive for a coach that you’ve already railroaded after one year.

Lol.   You sure are looking for a fight today my man.  :07_v:

Of course I'll take 3-0 over 2-1.   And yes, as an IU alum and donor I will reserve final judgment on TA until I see a larger body of work

Need to see clear progress against BT teams

1 minute ago, DrivenT said:

Lol.   You sure are looking for a fight today my man.  :07_v:

Of course I'll take 3-0 over 2-1.   And yes, as an IU alum and donor I will reserve final judgment on TA until I see a larger body of work

Need to see clear progress against BT teams

You’re just applying a double standard. You praised Kevin Wilson’s efforts but Kevin Wilson’s B10 record against non-patsies was atrocious. Wilson also had the  luxury of scheduling 4 non-conference teams as the B10 has since moved to a 9 game schedule. 

16 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

You’re just applying a double standard. You praised Kevin Wilson’s efforts but Kevin Wilson’s B10 record against non-patsies was atrocious. Wilson also had the  luxury of scheduling 4 non-conference teams as the B10 has since moved to a 9 game schedule. 

No disagreement there. Perhaps it's time for a higher standard in bloomington

Indiana football is ahead of where they were when Wilson was around. Some on here praised Wilson for anything that he did, but he proved to be in over his head. Allen has this team playing better defense then anyone has seen in Bloomington in a very long time and, quite frankly, with an attitude that is a bit nasty.

As far as the schedule goes, not many thought Indiana would be 3-0 at this point. FIU on the road is far from an easy game, beating Virginia is a good win, and beating Ball State in the matter they did is very impressive when you look at the fact that Ball State gave Notre Dame all they could handle last week losing 24-16.

Looking ahead, I fully expect Indiana to beat Michigan State by at least 10 points and go to Rutgers and handily beat them as well before having to go to Columbus for a showdown with the Buckeyes. As far as the rest of the schedule, every game is winnable, even at Michigan. Now, I don’t expect Indiana to be 11-1, but is realistic to see 8-4 or 9-3 this year. Ask Purdue how they would like to be in our shoes right now...

17 minutes ago, komets3001 said:

Indiana football is ahead of where they were when Wilson was around. Some on here praised Wilson for anything that he did, but he proved to be in over his head. Allen has this team playing better defense then anyone has seen in Bloomington in a very long time and, quite frankly, with an attitude that is a bit nasty.

As far as the schedule goes, not many thought Indiana would be 3-0 at this point. FIU on the road is far from an easy game, beating Virginia is a good win, and beating Ball State in the matter they did is very impressive when you look at the fact that Ball State gave Notre Dame all they could handle last week losing 24-16.

Looking ahead, I fully expect Indiana to beat Michigan State by at least 10 points and go to Rutgers and handily beat them as well before having to go to Columbus for a showdown with the Buckeyes. As far as the rest of the schedule, every game is winnable, even at Michigan. Now, I don’t expect Indiana to be 11-1, but is realistic to see 8-4 or 9-3 this year. Ask Purdue how they would like to be in our shoes right now...

Completely agree and I was one of the biggest Wilson apologists around. Wilson does deserve credit for not only reviving the program but also for generating a new found rooting interest, but Wilson was way in over his head and was significantly outcoached and lost too many games they’ve should have won. I think Allen is a lot more competent than Wilson.

12 hours ago, komets3001 said:

MSU has won 8 of last 9 against IU and is 46-16-2 all time against the Hoosiers.

I'm pulling for IU but a win would be a major upset.

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

MSU has won 8 of last 9 against IU and is 46-16-2 all time against the Hoosiers.

Would not be a "major" upset. IU is a 4pt underdog. They beat MSU the last time they came to BTown in 2016 and lead going into the 4th quarter last year in East Lansing, ultimately losing 17-9. MSU won in the last minute against Utah State at home to start the year and lost to Arizona State two weeks ago. Two fairly evenly matched teams with IU having home field advantage. Would not be shocked to see MSU win but wouldn't go anywhere near calling it a major upset if the Hoosiers pull it out. I expect IU to win this game.

53 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Would not be a "major" upset. IU is a 4pt underdog. They beat MSU the last time they came to BTown in 2016 and lead going into the 4th quarter last year in East Lansing, ultimately losing 17-9. MSU won in the last minute against Utah State at home to start the year and lost to Arizona State two weeks ago. Two fairly evenly matched teams with IU having home field advantage. Would not be shocked to see MSU win but wouldn't go anywhere near calling it a major upset if the Hoosiers pull it out. I expect IU to win this game.

Locally, I would agree with your assesment.   Nationally, IU gets zero respect and MSU is still considered a BT title contender and a nationally recognized program

IU win puts Hoosiers on the map

16 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Locally, I would agree with your assesment.   Nationally, IU gets zero respect and MSU is still considered a BT title contender and a nationally recognized program

IU win puts Hoosiers on the map

A win against MSU and a likely blowout against Rutgers could have the Hoosiers nationally ranked heading into Columbus.

3 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Now that one I agree with DT.  MSU just had a bye week (2 weeks to prepare for the Hoosiers) following a tough loss at Arizona State.  So given the history, and knowing that cannot lose another one this early, IU will have to be at their best to have a solid chance.

Not sure I completely agreed with you about UVA.  If you look at their history, they've won many more games than IU, been to considerably more bowl games than IU and went to a bowl game last year.  I do agree they are on the bottom half of the ACC.  But historically, the Hoos have been a better program that IU...at least on paper.

IU had to go 3-0 to have a shot at a bowl....the Big 10 EAST is just so tough....they will have to earn 3 more tough games to make it....and none are gimmes.  Perhaps Rutgers (road game), but IU has a tough schedule....they have winnable games to include Maryland, Purdue, Minnesota (road) and Iowa, but none are easy.  Getting one from the Big 4 (MSU, Michigan, Penn State and OSU) would be a big bonus.

29 minutes ago, Trojan Dad said:

Now that one I agree with DT.  MSU just had a bye week (2 weeks to prepare for the Hoosiers) following a tough loss at Arizona State.  So given the history, and knowing that cannot lose another one this early, IU will have to be at their best to have a solid chance.

Not sure I completely agreed with you about UVA.  If you look at their history, they've won many more games than IU, been to considerably more bowl games than IU and went to a bowl game last year.  I do agree they are on the bottom half of the ACC.  But historically, the Hoos have been a better program that IU...at least on paper.

IU had to go 3-0 to have a shot at a bowl....the Big 10 EAST is just so tough....they will have to earn 3 more tough games to make it....and none are gimmes.  Perhaps Rutgers (road game), but IU has a tough schedule....they have winnable games to include Maryland, Purdue, Minnesota (road) and Iowa, but none are easy.  Getting one from the Big 4 (MSU, Michigan, Penn State and OSU) would be a big bonus.

Note that Virginia historical  record built against ACC competition.   Pre ACC expansion, the conference was very weak.  

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

Note that Virginia historical  record built against ACC competition.   Pre ACC expansion, the conference was very weak.  

Fair statement.....but they did earn more bowl games than the Hoosiers.  But I don't disagree, conference was much weaker prior to expansion

IU should win 6 minimum and get another bowl invitation.  Going 3 and 0 was a big deal.  I had doubts in the first 2 games.  Also didn't think they would have had an easy time with Ball State, but they did.  Allen has them playing on another level that we have not seen for years here at IU.  It's all about the recruiting.  Allen is obviously good at it.  Another bowl after this season, and it will even get better.

11 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

IU should win 6 minimum and get another bowl invitation.  Going 3 and 0 was a big deal.  I had doubts in the first 2 games.  Also didn't think they would have had an easy time with Ball State, but they did.  Allen has them playing on another level that we have not seen for years here at IU.  It's all about the recruiting.  Allen is obviously good at it.  Another bowl after this season, and it will even get better.

More impressed that IU is finally putting together a complete team. IU for years was a one trick pony that had some elite offenses but with equally porous defenses. That seems to have changed stemming from Allen's time as time as DC. Just don't see that a lot on Bloomington. Special teams, namely the FG unit, was shaky against UVA and possibly a cause for concern, but I'll attribute to horrific weather conditions and hope it doesn't come back to bite us.

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

More impressed that IU is finally putting together a complete team. IU for years was a one trick pony that had some elite offenses but with equally porous defenses. That seems to have changed stemming from Allen's time as time as DC. Just don't see that a lot on Bloomington. Special teams, namely the FG unit, was shaky against UVA and possibly a cause for concern, but I'll attribute to horrific weather conditions and hope it doesn't come back to bite us.

Spot on, my man!  I was thinking about that after I submitted my post (some great offenses but terrible defenses).  I think the weather played a part in that UVA game with special teams.  I think they looked okay against Ball State last week and FIU in week one.  Thinking about going to the MSU game this weekend.  Have been to a couple others (MSU games here at IU).  Usually entertaining.  If IU plays like they did last week, they should have a chance to win.  I wouldn't necessarily call it a huge upset, but it would indeed be an upset.  You KNOW they are going to crush Rutgers and will more than likely lose at Columbus.  They usually give the Buckeyes a good game for 2 and a half to 3 quarters.  However, I don't think that's going to happen this year.  This Buckeye team is on a different level than everyone else in the conference.   Haskins (QB) is unbelievable for the Buckeyes.  11 TD passes in 3 games.  I think that is some kind of team record for the first 3 games at Ohio State.  And by the way, I was NEVER a Wilson fan.  Allen reminds me a lot of Hep.  I hope he can keep on building this program.  It would be a great thing for the conference not to mention the fan base here in Bloomington.  Considering what happened last weekend, the conference could use a feel good story.

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

Spot on, my man!  I was thinking about that after I submitted my post (some great offenses but terrible defenses).  I think the weather played a part in that UVA game with special teams.  I think they looked okay against Ball State last week and FIU in week one.  Thinking about going to the MSU game this weekend.  Have been to a couple others (MSU games here at IU).  Usually entertaining.  If IU plays like they did last week, they should have a chance to win.  I wouldn't necessarily call it a huge upset, but it would indeed be an upset.  You KNOW they are going to crush Rutgers and will more than likely lose at Columbus.  They usually give the Buckeyes a good game for 2 and a half to 3 quarters.  However, I don't think that's going to happen this year.  This Buckeye team is on a different level than everyone else in the conference.   Haskins (QB) is unbelievable for the Buckeyes.  11 TD passes in 3 games.  I think that is some kind of team record for the first 3 games at Ohio State.  And by the way, I was NEVER a Wilson fan.  Allen reminds me a lot of Hep.  I hope he can keep on building this program.  It would be a great thing for the conference not to mention the fan base here in Bloomington.  Considering what happened last weekend, the conference could use a feel good story.

A balanced IU offense is something we have rarely seen over the years.  Allen is clearly committed to developing the running game.  Not sure we have the offensive lineman yet to run effectively against the strong Big Ten teams.  There are no Roger Saffolds, Dan Feeneys or Jason Spriggs on this current roster.  That is on Wilson, as his recruiting really tailed off in list last two years.

12 hours ago, DrivenT said:

A balanced IU offense is something we have rarely seen over the years.  Allen is clearly committed to developing the running game.  Not sure we have the offensive lineman yet to run effectively against the strong Big Ten teams.  There are no Roger Saffolds, Dan Feeneys or Jason Spriggs on this current roster.  That is on Wilson, as his recruiting really tailed off in list last two years.

Maybe IU has no linemen (for now) who will play on Sundays, but Scott has had:  74, 204, and 113 yards rushing in 3 games.  Granted they weren't games against the "stronger Big Ten teams", but there must be SOME linemen doing their job(s) for him to have that success.  Scott has been a big surprise starting off the season and he's only a freshman.  Ramsey has developed nicely at running the offense.  I think it's a no brainer that the biggest improvement has been the defense.  I can think back a few years when IU could have used a defense like this.  Things would have turned out much differently in a lot of games.  I am expecting the MSU game to be a dog fight.  Hopefully the Hoosiers will win and won't be an afterthought by the media.  I hope they get a lot of press should they win, especially by the Big Ten Network and ESPN.