Taps Browning

North Daviess Holiday Tournament Draw

Great draw for the 1st day. It's

Clay City vs Pike Central

Barr-Reeve vs South Knox

Brownstown vs Blackhawk Christian

North Daviess vs Loogootee

That is the correct bracket alignment. The games wont be played in that order on day 1. Should be 4 competitive games.

Going to be a fun tournament this year. Here are my thoughts on the first round match ups. 

Clay City vs. Pike Central

Clay City was a rough team last year and only lost one senior. They struggled to score, at times against bad teams. I don't expect them to make a huge jump from last year and will be right around the same as last year. It's a rough time down in Clay City. Pike Central, on the other hand, played a pretty tough schedule last year and hung tough with some of the big boys. But, this year is a different story. They lose their top six scorers to graduation and there wasn't really anyone on the team that impressed last year other than a few of those seniors. Only one guy is coming back who played in more than eight games, and he averaged 2.1 points a game in 21 games. Watch for PC to struggled this year. This will be a close game, but it won't be a good one.

Barr-Reeve vs. South Knox

Barr-Reeve has a new coach this year as Bryan Hughes is out and Josh Thompson from Vincennes Lincoln takes over the reins. Don't expect many low scoring games from this Barr-Reeve team. They are going to look to go fast and they have the players to do it. Fresh off a semi-state appearance, Barr-Reeve doesn't lose any starters off that team. Barr-Reeve is a state championship favorite in 1A. South Knox is going to be pretty solid this year once again, but they do lose some key pieces. Brandon Fickling has graduated and they lose a few depth pieces. It will lead to some early season turmoil but after a few weeks, coach Burkett will have them firing on all cylinders. I don't think they are as strong as Barr-Reeve because they don't have the offensive firepower, but they'll hang around in this one for three quarters.

Brownstown Central vs. FW Blackhawk 

Brownstown Central only loses one guy off of last year's 18-7 team. They are well coaches and generally are really solid every year. This year won't be an exception as they return the talent they need to succeed. You can imagine that BC will make a deep run in the postseason again this year. BC is a team that isn't going to have many off games so it is paramount that you play well against them. FW Blackhawk are the favorites for the 1A crown and don't be surprised if they meet Barr-Reeve there. FW Blackhawk has a ton of talent and it all starts with Caleb Furst, the big man inside who has high major offers already. Frankie Davidson is a long guard who is very good as well. This FW Blackhawk team can beat you in anyway and they are my early pick to win this tournament. Quite frankly, I honestly don't think they will have that tough of a time doing so.

North Daviess vs. Loogootee

This is an interesting game in many regards. North Daviess only loses one player from the squad last year so they are going to be a veteran bunch. They do have some talent, but it hasn't really showed that often in years past. I think that this is going to be a big year for them, maybe not in terms of winning 20 games, but you'll see progress. They are kind of searching for their identity. Loogootee is a team that has some talent but not enough. Silas Bauer is going to be a monster for them. He improved a ton over the summer and expect huge things from him. I think Loogootee could sneakily surprise some people this year. This is a game that I think they can win due to the talent at the top. 

On 9/26/2018 at 3:41 AM, MasonHAsher said:

North Daviess vs. Loogootee

This is an interesting game in many regards. North Daviess only loses one player from the squad last year so they are going to be a veteran bunch. They do have some talent, but it hasn't really showed that often in years past. I think that this is going to be a big year for them, maybe not in terms of winning 20 games, but you'll see progress. They are kind of searching for their identity. Loogootee is a team that has some talent but not enough. Silas Bauer is going to be a monster for them. He improved a ton over the summer and expect huge things from him. I think Loogootee could sneakily surprise some people this year. This is a game that I think they can win due to the talent at the top. 

Didn’t North Daviess get a good guard transfer from Bloomington North?

23 hours ago, mile said:

Didn’t North Daviess get a good guard transfer from Bloomington North?

You're right. 6'2 SG Jack Townsend. He's a guy who can really get hot with his jumper. He will have the ball in his hand a lot for ND this year but in reality he is not a point guard. He can handle the ball but mentally he's an off guard. Plays with a ton of flair and flash and sometimes that can bite him.

Mason, that is a good review of the match ups. I have to disagree that Blackhawk will just run through the tournament again. They shot it outstanding last year and kind of intimidated the other teams a bit with their size. The other teams will be better prepared this year and nobody shoots it like they did last year all the time. I'm not sure Brownstown has the size or talent to beat them but they might. North Daviess matches up better with them and could also pull off the upset. I don't think Loogootee could hang with them. I don't know if they have had any "additions" to the team or not. If not I think Barr-Reeve might be better than them in terms of depth. If it comes down to BR vs Blackhawk again this year, I think Barr-Reeve will win.

Townsend was a starter at Bloomington North his Freshman and Sophomore seasons, this could be the most talented player to come back into the SWIAC.  Townsend previously played at Bloomfield in his elementary days.  Townsend is going to a force to be dealt with for opposing teams in the next 2 seasons.  This is one of the many kids in the past 5 years Bloomfield has let slip through the cracks or failed to sell their "historic" program to. 

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:07 PM, Taps Browning said:

Mason, that is a good review of the match ups. I have to disagree that Blackhawk will just run through the tournament again. They shot it outstanding last year and kind of intimidated the other teams a bit with their size. The other teams will be better prepared this year and nobody shoots it like they did last year all the time. I'm not sure Brownstown has the size or talent to beat them but they might. North Daviess matches up better with them and could also pull off the upset. I don't think Loogootee could hang with them. I don't know if they have had any "additions" to the team or not. If not I think Barr-Reeve might be better than them in terms of depth. If it comes down to BR vs Blackhawk again this year, I think Barr-Reeve will win.

Call me crazy, but I think you are so wrong with your prediction. Nobody on Barr-Reeve can even dream about being anywhere as good as Furst. Add in the loss of Hughes I don't think you stand a snow balls chance in hell. Barr-Reeve should be good this year, but come on they ain't beating Blackhawk!

3 hours ago, Ltown said:

Call me crazy, but I think you are so wrong with your prediction. Nobody on Barr-Reeve can even dream about being anywhere as good as Furst. Add in the loss of Hughes I don't think you stand a snow balls chance in hell. Barr-Reeve should be good this year, but come on they ain't beating Blackhawk!

Blackhawk graduated the good point guard and their center Thompson. BR returns everyone and adds two very good freshmen. I think BR will be way better than they were at the GPB tourney last year and Blackhawk won't be as strong. This is assuming Blackhawk hasn't added players as commonly happens in Fort Wayne. I expect BR would have more trouble with Davidson than Furst. 

16 hours ago, Taps Browning said:

Blackhawk graduated the good point guard and their center Thompson. BR returns everyone and adds two very good freshmen. I think BR will be way better than they were at the GPB tourney last year and Blackhawk won't be as strong. This is assuming Blackhawk hasn't added players as commonly happens in Fort Wayne. I expect BR would have more trouble with Davidson than Furst. 

I forgot about the Davidson kid, now I really don't think BR stands a chance.

1 hour ago, Ltown said:

I forgot about the Davidson kid, now I really don't think BR stands a chance.

Heck, one or both of them will probably lose before the final game anyway 🙂

Blackhawk did play great in the tournament last year but I saw them in other games (via youtube) where they didn't look as good. Watch the game where they lost to Southwood in the semi state and you may give BR a slight chance.

Of course Furst is being recruited by IU and Purdue has already offered him and you don't see that kind of talent at the 1A level very often, and Davidson is probably mid major D1 so....

9 hours ago, Taps Browning said:

Heck, one or both of them will probably lose before the final game anyway 🙂

Blackhawk did play great in the tournament last year but I saw them in other games (via youtube) where they didn't look as good. Watch the game where they lost to Southwood in the semi state and you may give BR a slight chance.

Of course Furst is being recruited by IU and Purdue has already offered him and you don't see that kind of talent at the 1A level very often, and Davidson is probably mid major D1 so....

FWIW, Davidson is a LM guy, which isn't bad. Might end up going D2 as he has a plethora of offers but only one D1 (Air Force).

1 hour ago, Taps Browning said:

LM guy?

I took it to mean "low-major".

2 hours ago, Taps Browning said:

LM guy?

1 hour ago, jamesaj said:

I took it to mean "low-major".

Low major. Correct. 

LM, MM, HM are the shortcuts I use ha.

I see. You are probably right, but I really like his game and think he might rise some this year. 

What I saw was good size, athleticism, and a great shooter for the 2 position in college. 

Maybe people are thinking he would have trouble guarding smaller guards. He is probably too small to play the 3 at MM or HM.

3 hours ago, Taps Browning said:

I see. You are probably right, but I really like his game and think he might rise some this year. 

What I saw was good size, athleticism, and a great shooter for the 2 position in college. 

Maybe people are thinking he would have trouble guarding smaller guards. He is probably too small to play the 3 at MM or HM.

I agree. He has built onto his frame this summer and has started to be more willing to take the ball inside. He's tough, but will be a really solid 4 year D2 starter, or a good role guy at a low major. He's isn't strong enough yet to defend wings at the next level. He'll have to play the 3 in college because his lateral quickness isn't TOO great. His ceiling will grow as he adds muscle. 

On 10/9/2018 at 8:54 AM, Jshuttlesworth said:

Townsend was a starter at Bloomington North his Freshman and Sophomore seasons, this could be the most talented player to come back into the SWIAC.  Townsend previously played at Bloomfield in his elementary days.  Townsend is going to a force to be dealt with for opposing teams in the next 2 seasons.  This is one of the many kids in the past 5 years Bloomfield has let slip through the cracks or failed to sell their "historic" program to. 

Who are some of the kids who have "slipped through the cracks" and where did they end up? I don't follow the younger grades much at all so I haven't heard. I have heard Bloomfield has been losing a few students to other schools but I don't know anything specific beyond that.