Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Indian72

NIC TEAMS - 2nd Round Games

On 10/26/2018 at 9:51 PM, Indian72 said:

One thing noticed this week versus the game weeks ago was one member of the coaching staff kept telling Radtke to stop yelling at the players.  I think I saw it happen at least a dozen times.

This is a bit of a sore spot for several in the NP community.  We have a new AD at the school this year and the word on the street is he is promoting a softer, kinder, gentler dont yell at these poor kids approach.  Sorry to get political, but just like many other places in society: be politically correct, dont offend anyone, and hey let's give everyone a trophy.  Things seem to have worked out pretty well for over 40 years for Radtke.  Just listen to players that have played for him, they respect him.  Call me crazy, but just maybe the guy knows what he is doing and doesn't need any "assistance" from the administrative staff.  Sure hope they don't cannonball the football program that that players, parents, and community has been working to build.

Edited by NPFan
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NPFan said:

This is a bit of a sore spot for several in the NP community.  We have a new AD at the school this year and the word on the street is he is promoting a softer, kinder, gentler dont yell at these poor kids approach.  Sorry to get political, but just like many other places in society: be politically correct, dont offend anyone, and hey let's give everyone a trophy.  Things seem to have worked out pretty well for over 40 years for Radtke.  Just listen to players that have played for him, they respect him.  Call me crazy, but just maybe the guy knows what he is doing and doesn't need any "assistance" from the administrative staff.  Sure hope they don't cannonball the football program that that players, parents, and community has been working to build.

Yes a change in AD or Administration is always tough.  I think it was your AD but was he standing just off the box the whole game?    It just seemed weird to have a member of the staff keep yelling to quit yelling and just talk to the kids.  Many coaches have left because they cannot coach they way they always have.

12 hours ago, Indian72 said:

Yes a change in AD or Administration is always tough.  I think it was your AD but was he standing just off the box the whole game?    It just seemed weird to have a member of the staff keep yelling to quit yelling and just talk to the kids.  Many coaches have left because they cannot coach they way they always have.

Im sure the two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on the bench in week one of the playoffs didn't help either.

Just now, knights1121 said:

Im sure the two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on the bench in week one of the playoffs didn't help either.

some coaches much more emotional than others

Just now, Indian72 said:

some coaches much more emotional than others

That is all well and good but you still need to control yourself when it comes to the officials.  

Just now, knights1121 said:

That is all well and good but you still need to control yourself when it comes to the officials.  

totally agree - doing chains for 40 years I have seen many coaches who cannot control themselves or yell about every play and every call

In the heat of competition you have to stay under contorl

15 hours ago, Indian72 said:

Many coaches have left because they cannot coach they way they always have.

Would not be surprised to see Radke leave with this much "input" from the AD.

Radtke story.............. So I'm a huge fan of the guy, (how can you not be if you follow Northern Indiana Football), but I didn't always feel this way.  When I first encountered the man I thought he was a huge jerk.  Always saw him yelling at his assistants, his players, officials etc., even when they were up big in games.   Then I started to gain some respect for how hard his teams played and how well coached they were.  But still I thought the man was out of control win at all costs maniac.   One summer I'm working and come into contact with a woman who went to Judson when Russ was there.  I say to her "that Russ Radtke is some kinda a$$hole isn't he"   She pauses, and slowly says "that may be true, but I'm 99% sure my husband (who is a former player) loves Russ more than he loves me!"

Moral of the Story.........Kids love that guy.  People who simply look at the exterior of the situation and judge don't have a clue.  

2 hours ago, Wedgebuster said:

Radtke story.............. So I'm a huge fan of the guy, (how can you not be if you follow Northern Indiana Football), but I didn't always feel this way.  When I first encountered the man I thought he was a huge jerk.  Always saw him yelling at his assistants, his players, officials etc., even when they were up big in games.   Then I started to gain some respect for how hard his teams played and how well coached they were.  But still I thought the man was out of control win at all costs maniac.   One summer I'm working and come into contact with a woman who went to Judson when Russ was there.  I say to her "that Russ Radtke is some kinda a$$hole isn't he"   She pauses, and slowly says "that may be true, but I'm 99% sure my husband (who is a former player) loves Russ more than he loves me!"

Moral of the Story.........Kids love that guy.  People who simply look at the exterior of the situation and judge don't have a clue.  

He is miler then he was a few years ago when the made their run to the finals.  That year he was an out of control jerk.