Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Formersaint

Regional: Angola at Dwenger

The Wayne QB was phenomenal all night and deserves a ton of credit. The way he was throwing, if his receivers were on turf I think that game turns out much different and Wayne wins by a couple of scores. Can't give the kid enough credit. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Ursus Maritimus said:

The Wayne QB was phenomenal all night and deserves a ton of credit. The way he was throwing, if his receivers were on turf I think that game turns out much different and Wayne wins by a couple of scores. Can't give the kid enough credit. 

Where is everyone going with all of these observations? We've all heard; the would have, could have, and should-haves many times before. It seems to me, that in every part of the game, there were 22 players involved for every play. Both teams were hampered by the same crummy landscape of mud, yet the game was contested until its conclusion. One school's team won, and the other participants didn't. That's life, and many times it doesn't seem fair, but we wouldn't have known the results if the contest was never staged and completed. Hopefully, the victor here is grateful for the opportunity to be a part of the contest, and have given thanks to the Lord.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

As stated before, this is not a great Dwenger team. They play hard, they hit you in the mouth, they run them ball down your throat, but they lack play makers, they don’t throw the ball well, and they are not the type of team to play from behind. Defense is very good, offense is efficient but predictable. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, statmurp said:

Where is everyone going with all of these observations? We've all heard; the would have, could have, and should-haves many times before. It seems to me, that in every part of the game, there were 22 players involved for every play. Both teams were hampered by the same crummy landscape of mud, yet the game was contested until its conclusion. One school's team won, and the other participants didn't. That's life, and many times it doesn't seem fair, but we wouldn't have known the results if the contest was never staged and completed. Hopefully, the victor here is grateful for the opportunity to be a part of the contest, and have given thanks to the Lord.

Where people are going with this is simple, various weather conditions impact different types of teams differently. If your team is a ground and pound type of power team, you are certainly going to see less variability in weather related outcomes than a team who throws it all over the place and relies on speed and ahleticism. Nobody had any type of footing in the second half of that game. There was no pass rush by the Saints, the Wayne receivers relied on long drag routes to get open. They all played in the same conditions, yes. A team built and designed like this Dwenger team will not see drastic variation of outcome offensively based on conditions but a team like Wayne will be impacted much more so due to the nature of their offense. To say Wayne would have won, like I did, is certainly speculation and irrelevant to the outcome but to ignore the fact the field played a large factor in that game would be foolish. It could have benefited the Dwenger DBs too. Either way we will never get to know because of the conditions which to me, and many others, is a shame. 

36 minutes ago, komets3001 said:

As stated before, this is not a great Dwenger team. They play hard, they hit you in the mouth, they run them ball down your throat, but they lack play makers, they don’t throw the ball well, and they are not the type of team to play from behind. Defense is very good, offense is efficient but predictable. 

This strategy has certainly worked well for Lowell for a long time. 

Edited by Ursus Maritimus
Typos
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, statmurp said:

Murph, why, do you, type, so weird..

1 hour ago, Ursus Maritimus said:

Where people are going with this is simple, various weather conditions impact different types of teams differently. If your team is a ground and pound type of power team, you are certainly going to see less variability in weather related outcomes than a team who throws it all over the place and relies on speed and ahleticism. Nobody had any type of footing in the second half of that game. There was no pass rush by the Saints, the Wayne receivers relied on long drag routes to get open. They all played in the same conditions, yes. A team built and designed like this Dwenger team will not see drastic variation of outcome offensively based on conditions but a team like Wayne will be impacted much more so due to the nature of their offense. To say Wayne would have won, like I did, is certainly speculation and irrelevant to the outcome but to ignore the fact the field played a large factor in that game would be foolish. It could have benefited the Dwenger DBs too. Either way we will never get to know because of the conditions which to me, and many others, is a shame. 

Yes it has, but Dwenger is usually able to throw the ball well as well. This is a pretty good Dwenger team, not a great one...

Edited by komets3001
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, komets3001 said:

Yes it has, but Dwenger is usually able to throw the ball well as well. This is a pretty good Dwrnger, not a great one...

Zero argument from me. One of the things I have loved about the Saints was ability to adapt the offense to the personnel that they had. Whether it was the I formation with Kimes, single back with Merz, the spread option with Goodman through Fiacable. This year's team knows it's bread is buttered up front and running behind big Joe. It's not sexy but it's worked so far. Certainly not an all time great team but a more than capable bunch. 

Typos

Hey, Hey, Hey.....It's my favorite time of year. A few comments as this topic hopefully gains some steam. 

This Dwenger team may not be "Great", but they are very very good. Good enough to make their way to Indy and even win when they get there. 

The "Great" BD team is still a year away. They are SAC and Sectional Champs (so far) with 14-15 underclassmen providing a tremendous amount of the heavy lifting. 

Regarding muddy field conditions. The Saints rely heavily and typically dominate in the trenches with power, power and more power. When footing is non existent, this has just as much impact as anything else. 

Wayne was good. They played so well and were in it right down to the finish. They have nothing but respect from this old timer. But to say they deserved to win is not fair. Did they have more yards on offense? Yes. However, special teams cannot ever be discounted. Dwenger had them and Wayne didn't. Special teams is 30% of the game and the Saints dominated in that phase. Just looking at the punts that flipped field position all night would match an additional 100 yards of offense. 

Now, onto Angola. They are likely a better team than last year. But so is Dwenger. There is not a position on the field where Dwenger took a step back with the loss of last years seniors. They are better at every single position. So I am also asking....Did the Hornets improve so much more than the Saints to make up 30+ points? My though is not a chance. 

That is all for now....

Go Saints!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ursus Maritimus said:

Lowell has 1 State Title and Zero under this coach.  Their strategy is a fine one but it’s tough to play with this style when behind.   

Any team that has a good defense, a physical O line and is well coached  is going to give BD big problems if the passing game doesn’t improve.  I think they have the talent available to have a  passing game that could be better than their running game.   

3 hours ago, FWFootball260 said:

Murph, why, do you, type, so weird..

If only he was a fan of a different school.   

Edited by OldSchoolFB

On 11/3/2018 at 5:13 PM, komets3001 said:

NorthWood #1 based on what? Certainly they don’t play a schedule like a Dwenger does. Honestly, who has Angola beaten? Their schedule is abysmal. Not trying to dog these teams, but being ranked #1 means nothing when you don’t challenge yourself and play lower tier teams. Angola plays in a weak conference and was highly ranked last year when Dwenger went to Angola and crushed them. Now maybe this year Angola can do something different as this is not one of Dwenger’s great teams in my opinion. Angola better be ready to our physical Dwenger cause if they don’t, they won’t win...

Northwood beat Warsaw(Who played Penn really tight), Plymouth twice(badly), and East Noble.   They also beat some other "ok" teams.  Angola just beat Northwood.  I would't be surprised if Angola wins.  However,  i wouldn't be surprised if Dwenger wins  It's a toss up IMO.  

17 hours ago, new money said:

Hey, Hey, Hey.....It's my favorite time of year. A few comments as this topic hopefully gains some steam. 

This Dwenger team may not be "Great", but they are very very good. Good enough to make their way to Indy and even win when they get there. 

The "Great" BD team is still a year away. They are SAC and Sectional Champs (so far) with 14-15 underclassmen providing a tremendous amount of the heavy lifting. 

Regarding muddy field conditions. The Saints rely heavily and typically dominate in the trenches with power, power and more power. When footing is non existent, this has just as much impact as anything else. 

Wayne was good. They played so well and were in it right down to the finish. They have nothing but respect from this old timer. But to say they deserved to win is not fair. Did they have more yards on offense? Yes. However, special teams cannot ever be discounted. Dwenger had them and Wayne didn't. Special teams is 30% of the game and the Saints dominated in that phase. Just looking at the punts that flipped field position all night would match an additional 100 yards of offense. 

Now, onto Angola. They are likely a better team than last year. But so is Dwenger. There is not a position on the field where Dwenger took a step back with the loss of last years seniors. They are better at every single position. So I am also asking....Did the Hornets improve so much more than the Saints to make up 30+ points? My though is not a chance. 

That is all for now....

Go Saints!

You may be completely right, but I know for a fact there is an intimidation factor the first time.  Sometimes more than that.  When I was in high school we had lost to some "Power Schools," and then beat them the following year with essentially the same team.  

1 hour ago, YeDaddy said:

You may be completely right, but I know for a fact there is an intimidation factor the first time.  Sometimes more than that.  When I was in high school we had lost to some "Power Schools," and then beat them the following year with essentially the same team.  

That is a valid point. If we rule out any intimidation this time around, there is still an experience/tradition factor. Historically, Dwenger is 20-5 in Regional match-ups while Angola is 1-3. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Is there any film on Angola? Could not find any. Just highlights.

2 minutes ago, mebuck said:

Is there any film on Angola? Could not find any. Just highlights.

Sure there is; on Facebook. Go to Hometown media, Angola. You should find numerous complete games. Here is the exact LINK:  https://www.facebook.com/hometownmedia1/

1 minute ago, FWFootball260 said:

Tim, you,never, answered, why you, type, like, you do 

I'm so sorry, but I'm not sure I'm comprehending your query. Specificity for your inquiry is needed for more clarification. You seem to know who you believe I am, but I don't have a clue about you. Username, FWFootball260, doesn't explain anything. So, fess up, or leave it alone.

26 minutes ago, statmurp said:

I'm so sorry, but I'm not sure I'm comprehending your query. Specificity for your inquiry is needed for more clarification. You seem to know who you believe I am, but I don't have a clue about you. Username, FWFootball260, doesn't explain anything. So, fess up, or leave it alone.

My cousin went to BD in the late 90s ealry 2000s and just knew someone so pro BD had to have a close connection to the program 

I'm sure others have noticed, but, why is it that certain schools never appear to have any followers on the GID and/or are they told not to comment on here?  Are there no fans for Angola out there??

Edited by Dabears
fixed sentence

11 minutes ago, Dabears said:

I'm sure others have noticed, but, why is it that certain schools never appear to have any followers on the GID and/or are they told not to comment on here?  Are there no fans for Angola out there??

@coach_funk I think I hear your intro music coming on

8 minutes ago, Dabears said:

Surely someone will eventually post something for Angola but in the meantime, and while you're waiting, I will state the following: over the years, and commencing with most recently retired head coach at Bishop Dwenger, Chris Svarczkopf, the law of the land for all team members, assistant coaches, and support staff, was to refrain from posting comments on social media sites (this one specifically). That being stated, commencing with the 2018-19 football season, current Head Coach Jason Garrett, has allowed the establishment of a Bishop Dwenger Football Instagram Account, and a Bishop Dwenger Official Football Twitter Account.

30 minutes ago, statmurp said:

.... the law of the land for all team members, assistant coaches, and support staff, was to refrain from posting comments on social media sites (this one specifically).....

Two questions:  1.  Do you happen to know of anyone in the restricted categories posting on the GID?

2.  IF someone violates the "law of the land" how are/will they be punished?

26 minutes ago, coach_funk said:

Lieutenant  Dan...

I love the Angola Football website....   anyone have the password for the Scouting Report on Dwenger... :)1385718582_ScoutingReport.thumb.JPG.208e1b25ae2cbb5bfe835e4a13207f25.JPG

52 minutes ago, Dabears said:

Two questions:  1.  Do you happen to know of anyone in the restricted categories posting on the GID?

(1) Not directly under Coach Svarczkopf's watch. There was a moment back in time, when a Bishop Dwneger Student, who was not associated with the football program and had been posting on GID, about the exploits of a Dwenger Running Back, Remound Wright III (Played for Stanford of the PAC 10). Remound, after discovering who this school writing talent was, met with him, and asked on behalf of Coach Svarczkopf, to please curtail his postings. Needless to say, the postings were positive, and maybe a little too positive. (2) I guess that should answer it as well.

1 hour ago, Dabears said:

21 minutes ago, statmurp said:

(1) Not directly under Coach Svarczkopf's watch. There was a moment back in time, when a Bishop Dwneger Student, who was not associated with the football program and had been posting on GID, about the exploits of a Dwenger Running Back, Remound Wright III (Played for Stanford of the PAC 10). Remound, after discovering who this school writing talent was, met with him, and asked on behalf of Coach Svarczkopf, to please curtail his postings. Needless to say, the postings were positive, and maybe a little too positive. (2) I guess that should answer it as well.

Been a long time since I roamed the halls, but it was while Svarczkopf was in charge. I would say the popularity of the site amongst the current students seems to have gone down. I have no way of backing this up but Dwenger and SAC threads definitely used to be more prevalent and many of the posts were coming from Dwenger students.  I think back to 2006 specifically, there were posts by Dwenger students about how each quarter and play were going to go in the semi state matchup vs Concord. (I will also point out they were all wrong as Dwenger was easily beaten that night).  I remember knowing that the team was aware of things being posted but did not post themselves.  They also regularly used other teams posts as bulletin board material. Thinking to 2005 and South Side's desire to stop John Goodman by any means necessary. 

While Svarczkopf was the head football coach, he was also the Dean of Students. At the time, just him telling you NOT to do something was a VERY good deterrent.  His mustache and scowl alone were enough to gain compliance for most students.