Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Gibson Southern @ Terre Haute South Vigo

Gibson Southern (0-0) at Terre Haute South (0-0)

GAME TIME: 7:30 pm ET, Clements Field.

COACHES: Nick Hart, 105-20 in 11th year at Gibson Southern. Tim Herrin, 29-65 in 10th year at Terre Haute South.

2021 FINAL SAGARIN RATINGS: Gibson Southern, 94.32, 9th overall, 1st in 3A. Terre Haute South, 52.83, 121st overall, 22nd in 5A.

SERIES LAST 35 YEARS: No meetings.

I have no idea what THS runs schematically….but they are a new opponent and GS has a lot of new faces.  

Just glad we are finally to week 1 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I have no idea what THS runs schematically….but they are a new opponent and GS has a lot of new faces.   

THS has 17 wins since 2015. I predict the Titans start 2022 with a big W. 

56 minutes ago, tango said:

THS has 17 wins since 2015. I predict the Titans start 2022 with a big W. 

I mean…hopefully. 

feels like this game is more about setting the tone and getting off on the right foot rather than in years past against columbus north where it felt like it was a game to measure how good the team is. 

I’m really interested to see how much pass/run there is and who steps up among the guys who have waited their turn for 2 years 

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

From film THS has some a nice looking offense and a few kids that are scary athletic.

Maxpreps lists a roster size of 117…that’s pretty big.  Would hope with that many kids on the team there would be a number of good players.

To @tangopoint….kinda surprising to see a team that has only won 17 games since 2015….but has 117 players? Especially in todays game….getting 80 kids out for a program regardless of success is a tough thing to do.   Coach must be doing something right there 

They're still trying to recover from the MIC schedule. 

School Location Mascot Colors Enrollment IHSAA Class # / County Year Joined Previous Conference
Ben Davis Indianapolis Giants       4,557[1] 6A Marion 1996 Independents
Central Suburban
Lawrence Central Lawrence Bears     2,255 6A Marion 2013 Conference Indiana
Lawrence North Lawrence Wildcats     2,844[2] 6A Marion 1996 Central Suburban
North Central Indianapolis Panthers       3,709[3] 6A Marion 1996 Independents
Pike Indianapolis Red Devils     3,387[4] 6A Marion 2013 Conference Indiana
Warren Central Indianapolis Warriors     3,868 6A Marion 1996 Independents

Former members

TH South has a lot of good players and a couple transfers that will help them tremendously.  Sophomore QB's dad is the D Coordinator at Indiana State, and looks to have huge upside.  Cottee, the RB is a load of a player, and West Vigo's best player from last year is now at South too.  Not saying they will beat GS, but I think it will be a very good game. 

9 minutes ago, Bulldoggit said:

They're still trying to recover from the MIC schedule. 

School Location Mascot Colors Enrollment IHSAA Class # / County Year Joined Previous Conference
Ben Davis Indianapolis Giants       4,557[1] 6A Marion 1996 Independents
Central Suburban
Lawrence Central Lawrence Bears     2,255 6A Marion 2013 Conference Indiana
Lawrence North Lawrence Wildcats     2,844[2] 6A Marion 1996 Central Suburban
North Central Indianapolis Panthers       3,709[3] 6A Marion 1996 Independents
Pike Indianapolis Red Devils     3,387[4] 6A Marion 2013 Conference Indiana
Warren Central Indianapolis Warriors     3,868 6A Marion 1996 Independents

Former members

TH South never played Pike or Lawrence Central.  They did, however play Carmel and Center Grove!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CheapSeats said:

TH South has a lot of good players and a couple transfers that will help them tremendously.  Sophomore QB's dad is the D Coordinator at Indiana State, and looks to have huge upside.  Cottee, the RB is a load of a player, and West Vigo's best player from last year is now at South too.  Not saying they will beat GS, but I think it will be a very good game. 

TH South never played Pike or Lawrence Central.  They did, however play Carmel and Center Grove!

I can tell from the reactions of their players on the sidelines that they have a team that believes this year.

2 hours ago, CheapSeats said:

So is Cottee not the QB? 

he’s listed as a sophomore QB on maxpreps but you are saying RB 

hes listed at 6’4 which fits the bill of a big RB as described.

17 wins since 2015 sure doesn’t seem like the right story haha….Sounds like a team ready to win some football games….But hey….that’s the way we like it.  Nobody likes to see blowouts

18 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

You've basically described the teams traditionally in the bottom half of the SIAC standings, IMO.  

18 hours ago, Titan32 said:

I see where you are going there...but I mean the offense looks well coached. LOL

Another difference might be, I don't think the teams at the bottom half of the SIAC standings have 117 roster players either... North and Castle have been middle or above in the Standings recently and both have a bigger enrollment than THS, do they have that big of rosters?

1 hour ago, Cappy said:

Another difference might be, I don't think the teams at the bottom half of the SIAC standings have 117 roster players either... North and Castle have been middle or above in the Standings recently and both have a bigger enrollment than THS, do they have that big of rosters?

117 might not be accurate though.  Granted they are a big school…but yesterday I believe I was looking at Mt Vernon and they had listed over 120 kids on the roster.  

so like….idk maybe the maxpreps pages are accurate but I have a hard time believing Mt Vernon has 120+ kids….kinda like how Gibson Southern typically will list 50-70 kids on maxpreps but that usually doesn’t include the freshman.

i know I brought it up but I’m starting to think maybe it’s still too early to discuss roster sizes until people see the teams lined up on the other side of the field on Friday nights

16 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

117 might not be accurate though.  

Wait. You're telling me THSV doesn't have two players wearing #20? One named Josh Cottee who is a SR. and the other one is Joshua Cottee, who is a 6'1 200lb SR? 😄

Maxpreps is better than nothing, but I've learned to take it with a heavy dose of salt.  Graduates and players that have quit somehow still appear on a lot of rosters, but they get shuffled to the bottom with no jersey #.  

As an example, I doubt Forest Park really has 63 athletes on this year's team.  Although if they do, they immediately become my favorite to win the PAC small division.  

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Wait. You're telling me THSV doesn't have two players wearing #20? One named Josh Cottee who is a SR. and the other one is Joshua Cottee, who is a 6'1 200lb SR? 😄

Maxpreps is better than nothing, but I've learned to take it with a heavy dose of salt.  Graduates and players that have quit somehow still appear on a lot of rosters, but they get shuffled to the bottom with no jersey #.  

As an example, I doubt Forest Park really has 63 athletes on this year's team.  Although if they do, they immediately become my favorite to win the PAC small division.  

One of the coaches on here messaged me and clarified why maxpreps is like this.

apparently maxpreps is often linked with hudl and even if a kid leaves the team and is removed from hudl, maxpreps won’t recognize it and will keep them on the roster.  That + maxpreps will carry kids over who might have even graduated already 

from my understanding of what they clarified, unless a coach/whoever goes out of their way to make sure maxpreps matches their hudl, then it’s going to be inflated some….and that makes a lot more sense 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kyle Cottee was the qb at TH South but is now at Northview.  Josh Cottee is the rb.  Josh is a darn good back and underrated.  He’s never had much around him.  TH South does have some good skill people this year to go with him.  The qb is only a sophomore but has some major upside.  Deshaun Lowe from West Vigo is a legit receiver and Nas McNeil from Parke Heritage will help them as well.   I know they have one really good lineman but I’m not sure about the rest of that group.  

Edited by THPD262