Jump to content
Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Temptation

Neutral Sites from Regionals ON

Recommended Posts

I know the seeding conversation has been beaten like a dead horse, but I haven't seen anyone bring this one up "lately."  With the eye opening four plus hour bus ride that Evansville Central is taking Saturday to head to St. Leon to take on East Central, the idea of neutral site games for this point forward entered my mind.

I am all for high school football owning Friday nights but something has to give here.  What are your thoughts?  Potential locations that could host two games on a Saturday afternoon, limit travel and not punish teams for geography and randomly selecting sites?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly one of my favorite things about the Ohio high school playoffs is the fact that after the 1st round (in which seeds 1-4 get to host), all the games are at neutral site locations:

https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Football/2018/2018FBRelease3.pdf

 

"NEUTRAL SITES: Regional Semifinals (Nov. 9 and10), Regional Finals (Nov. 16 and 17) and State Semifinals (Nov. 23 and 24): Neutral sites are selected by the OHSAA. There are many factors that go into determining playoff sites, such as quality of field surface, seating capacity, quality of lighting, size of locker rooms and distance from field, press box size, parking, and a separate locker room for officials. After all those factors are taken into consideration, it must be confirmed that the site is available and willing to host a playoff game on the date needed. The OHSAA cannot mandate that a specific site be available and it is rare to have an available site exactly halfway between the two competing schools. Host sites keep revenue from concession stands and parking and they also receive a predetermined rental fee from the OHSAA, which covers game expenses."

Edited by NLCTigerFan07
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be in favor. It’s not just the bus rides but also crappy facilities for the visitors when you arrive. Nothing like driving 3+ hours to stand on the frozen tundra because the visitor stands hold a few hundred people.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Honestly one of my favorite things about the Ohio high school playoffs is the fact that after the 1st round (in which seeds 1-4 get to host), all the games are at neutral site locations:

https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Football/2018/2018FBRelease3.pdf

 

"NEUTRAL SITES: Regional Semifinals (Nov. 9 and10), Regional Finals (Nov. 16 and 17) and State Semifinals (Nov. 23 and 24): Neutral sites are selected by the OHSAA. There are many factors that go into determining playoff sites, such as quality of field surface, seating capacity, quality of lighting, size of locker rooms and distance from field, press box size, parking, and a separate locker room for officials. After all those factors are taken into consideration, it must be confirmed that the site is available and willing to host a playoff game on the date needed. The OHSAA cannot mandate that a specific site be available and it is rare to have an available site exactly halfway between the two competing schools. Host sites keep revenue from concession stands and parking and they also receive a predetermined rental fee from the OHSAA, which covers game expenses."

Agree 100%.   Always loved that living in Ohio for the 1st 25 years of my life.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DwengerLifer said:

I would be in favor. It’s not just the bus rides but also crappy facilities for the visitors when you arrive. Nothing like driving 3+ hours to stand on the frozen tundra because the visitor stands hold a few hundred people.

At least they have their own frozen tundra that seats a few hundred. Bazinga. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Temptation said:

I know the seeding conversation has been beaten like a dead horse, but I haven't seen anyone bring this one up "lately."  With the eye opening four plus hour bus ride that Evansville Central is taking Saturday to head to St. Leon to take on East Central, the idea of neutral site games for this point forward entered my mind.

I had to do a 437-mile (one-way) trip out here in NV. Evansville to St. Leon is nothing.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a proud resident of Southeastern Indiana, I welcome the horde's of visitors from Evansville. St. Leon is wonderful this time of year. If you get a chance try skyline chili in Batesville. It will regulate your digestive tract in 30 minutes or less.

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dmizers3 said:

Agree 100%.   Always loved that living in Ohio for the 1st 25 years of my life.  

How does Ohio do it? 

For example, after Team A and Team B win on Friday, does the state call Athletic Director at School C to see if they can host next weekend? 

Or is it like Indiana’s basketball format where Seymour and Washington are designated semi-state sites but until teams reach that level they don’t know which way they will be going?

(I hope I have asked clearly enough.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

How does Ohio do it? 

For example, after Team A and Team B win on Friday, does the state call Athletic Director at School C to see if they can host next weekend? 

Or is it like Indiana’s basketball format where Seymour and Washington are designated semi-state sites but until teams reach that level they don’t know which way they will be going?

(I hope I have asked clearly enough.)

Its normally the same locales/schools that host games in regions every year.  You pretty much know if you make the playoffs and advance, the 3 or 4 stadiums that you will play at. There are a TON of great facilities to be used and normally schools don't have to travel more then a hour to play their game.

And the games are all night games (or almost always night games).  Half of the divisions on Friday night.  The other half on Saturday night.  High school games should never be played during the day so the idea of "doubleheaders on Saturday afternoon" are non-starters.

As has been stated ad nauseum, after the sectional round, games in Indiana should be played at neutral sites.  Quite frankly there are many places (especially at the smaller school level) that have ZERO business hosting a playoff game with any sort of crowd.  Too many nice facilities now to make paying customers stand in 35 degree weather on a fence for 4 hours while paying 6 or 7 bucks a head.  We've advanced wayyy past that foolishness in our state.

And with the crappy weather we've had nearly every Friday night this year, grass fields across the state are toast.  Find stadiums with turf (and we got plenty of those now too) and give the players who have been working towards this since June, a proper field to show their talents. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this idea a lot, but would further expand it to include Saturday afternoon playoff games starting around 1. I get the nostalgia surrounding Friday nights; however, there will be some awfully attended football games this Friday. Maybe a sunny Saturday afternoon will draw better gates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Boilernation said:

I like this idea a lot, but would further expand it to include Saturday afternoon playoff games starting around 1. I get the nostalgia surrounding Friday nights; however, there will be some awfully attended football games this Friday. Maybe a sunny Saturday afternoon will draw better gates. 

Don’t like the Saturday afternoon idea at all it just allows John Doe to bring his 6 kids and mother in law to the game . Who wants to watch 6 screaming kids run up and down the bleachers and then whine wanting money for the concession stand.  Keep it cold and dark ,enjoy the lights and hang out with true football fans

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

At least they have their own frozen tundra that seats a few hundred. Bazinga. 

Sorry coach, but two private schools share the costs for a stadium, it is our frozen tundra.  As I recall BD threw in a $mil or so during the last renovation.  We are not the wandering "gypsies" like some of the Indy bunch, Cathedral, etc. 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always been a proponent of this. Even though Evansville is a great town traveling for 4 hours one way to play a game then turning around is hard on a team and fans. The Evansville Central @ East Central game is something that happens nearly every season since East Central's regional has traveled south.

A couple places that come to mind for that game could be Floyd Central, New Albany, BNL, Bloomington North or South? I believe that Ohio schools have certain specifications they have to meet but all of these are locations that are relatively equal distance for both schools which is the biggest issue. I don't see too many downsides to this; you can play the game on Friday night which wouldn't hurt the winner by giving them one less day of prep, fans can make it to the game easier, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, DwengerLifer said:

Sorry coach, but two private schools share the costs for a stadium, it is our frozen tundra.  As I recall BD threw in a $mil or so during the last renovation.  We are not the wandering "gypsies" like some of the Indy bunch, Cathedral, etc. 

LOL.  If I am reading the tea leaves correctly, you did not enjoy your trip to the Inferno at Lowell.  GREAT place for a ball game.  What a fun atmosphere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t necessarily be opposed. If Chatard and Memorial both win this weekend, I would love for them to meet at Bloomington South or somewhere similar. 1 hr 32 min from BC, 1 hr 50 min from Memorial.

However, I love the drive to Southern Indiana and the unique football environments down there. Cherished trips to Corydon Central, Gibson Southern, Memorial, Heritage Hills, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What money if any does the ISHAA give to the traveling team to help cover transportation cost?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What venues could host in each area of the state?  It is simple to find the capacity of high school gyms in this state but more difficult to find an accurate listing of high school football capacities.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

As a proud resident of Southeastern Indiana, I welcome the horde's of visitors from Evansville. St. Leon is wonderful this time of year. If you get a chance try skyline chili in Batesville. It will regulate your digestive tract in 30 minutes or less.

4 years of college in Cincy and NEVER developed a taste for it , yet people in Southwest Ohio talk about it like its God's gift to food. Same goes for LaRosa's Pizza cardboard with cheap concession stand marinara, and generic cheese. No thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are several facilities in the Region that have sufficient capacity to be neutral site hosts, such as Merrillville, Crown Point or Lake Central. Problem is, we’re not “centrally located.” So it seems unlikely one of those could serve the function of cutting down driving time for someone who otherwise would have to travel a long distance. Another criterion for neutral sites is going to have to be a somewhat central location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Fringe said:

What money if any does the ISHAA give to the traveling team to help cover transportation cost?

From the IHSAA Fall Bulletin:

For Regionals transportation – “Authorizes an allowance of $6.00 per mile for the visiting team for 1 round trip (host school
excluded except where non‐school facility is used).”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Temptation said:

What venues could host in each area of the state?  It is simple to find the capacity of high school gyms in this state but more difficult to find an accurate listing of high school football capacities.  

 

Just off the top of my head, in the north Lafayette Jeff, Merrillville, Warsaw, Delta (because of turf), Michigan City, South Bend, Marion, Homestead.

In central Indiana, Zionsville, Carmel, Brownsburg, Plainfield, Columbus East, Franklin Central, Bloomington South, Knightstown, Franklin, Crawfordsville

Have to have some help on the south but I'm sure there are several there as well.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, EasyEJay said:

4 years of college in Cincy and NEVER developed a taste for it , yet people in Southwest Ohio talk about it like its God's gift to food. Same goes for LaRosa's Pizza cardboard with cheap concession stand marinara, and generic cheese. No thank you! 

agreed about Skyline...Flint family here has me addicted to the Flint/Detroit Coneys....LaRosa's on the other hand is great IMO...always enjoy a trip to Jungle Jims as well

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minnesota uses neutral site games for their equivalent of Regionals through the state championships.  They utilize larger high school fields, smaller university fields, the Vikings field at their training center and some schools will play semi-state games in U.S. Bank Stadium.  The games are on Fridays and Saturdays and often involve back-to-back contests at the larger venues.  There's no reason with the facilities we have spread around the state that the IHSAA couldn't make something like this work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NRRaider2001 said:

agreed about Skyline...Flint family here has me addicted to the Flint/Detroit Coneys....LaRosa's on the other hand is great IMO...always enjoy a trip to Jungle Jims as well

Yes many Saturday hours were spent in Fairfield, Ohio at Jungle Jim's ! Love it! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, bobref said:

From the IHSAA Fall Bulletin:

For Regionals transportation – “Authorizes an allowance of $6.00 per mile for the visiting team for 1 round trip (host school
excluded except where non‐school facility is used).”

OK

Then what money if any Does the home team get of the gate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×