Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Miner Pride

North Central (Farmersburg) At North Vermillion

Well.. .I couldn't stand to see there isn't some talk about this game.....!!!!

I'll start off with my capsule that was in the other thread to get this going:

North Central (Farmersburg) (9-1) at North Vermillion (11-1)

Coach Nolting led his Thunderbirds to their first ever football sectional in school history with a 14-0 win last week over 9-3 West Washington. They will take to the road for the 4th week in a row in new territory—IHSAA Regional.  With one more win NC-F will match their most wins in history, which was 10 from 2018, and would have been met had it not been for an opponent cancelling their season mid year.  The Falcons are no strangers to post-season success. Back to back sectional titles in 2011-2012 (Coach Crabtree’s initial season), then a state 1A Title in 2014 running the table 15-0.  They followed that up with another run ended with a semi-state loss to Linton in 2015.  After a 2 year drought they secured Sectional 47 in a hard fount 22-16 win over Attica—their 2nd win over the 8-4 Attica Red Ramblers.  The only blemish on the Falcons 11-1 season is a week 4 loss at 5-6 2A Linton 34-7.  Likewise for NC, their one loss came in week 6 on a long trip to 9-3 3A Maconaquah, falling 35 to 28.  These two teams used to meet in regular season , in fact according to John Harrell’s site—every year from 2014 to at least 1994, with a couple sectional battles as well.   NV winning their last 4 meetings,  13-6 Falcons series lead since 2000.   They have two common opponents.  1-9 Riverton Parke, who both beat almost identically by about 40; and 8-3 Parke Heritage- whom the Falcons beat 36-27 in a battle royale, and the T-Birds popped 62 on the Wolves, but surrendered 32.   These two teams have the 4th (40.1 NC) and 5th (33.0 NV) ranked 1A offenses, but where the Tbirds from Farmersburg have an upper hand is in scoring D… where they are 4th in 1A at 12.4 while the Falcons give up 19.25 and sit 25th in 1A.   Big wins for the Tbirds have come  over Parke Heritage (8-3 62-32); North Decatur (6-5 20-7); Eastern Greene (6-4 38-7) and West Washington (9-3 14-0).   For North Vermillion, they have wins over Parke Heritage (8-3 35-28); Fountain Central (6-4 35-28), Covington (5-5 28-25), and twice over 8-4 Attica (27-22 & 22-16).  One thing that stands out is the number of close game victories for the Falcons…four of them by 8 or less, including a season opening win 35-27 over 2-8 4A Evansville Bosse.  This is a battle of top 10 1A schools… NC is #7/#6 while NC is #5/#4.   NC a run dominant team who if they get on top, can eat the clock up, while NV can run the ball effectively, but can spread the ball all over the field in a passing formation.   With the game in Cayuga, still Sagarin favors the Thunderbirds by 11.10; Calpreps NC-F 31 NV 26

Edited by Miner Pride
  • Upvote 2

NV:                                                                                                        NC

Rushing: 

#82 Myers (Sr)                  214-1299  14 TD                #2 Basinger (Sr)                199-2152  30 TD

#11 Ellis (Jr)                         161-908 15 TD                    #3 Thompson (sr)            118-780  16 TD

#10 Kilgore (Sr)                 17-115  2 TD                        #8 Chatman (Sr)               108-520 3 TD

#12 Reynolds (Jr)             9-93                                       #11 Curtis (Jr)                    48-280  2 TD

#21Cook (Jr)                       6-67                                       #5 Ennen (so)                    25-100

Team:                   429-2589  215.8/game 31 TD          Team 511-3893  389.3  51 TD

Receiving:

NV                                                                                          NC

#10 Kilgore (Sr)                 35-660 10 TD                       #2 Basinger (Sr)                 4-149  3 TD

#44 Buchhaas (Sr)            25-331  6 TD                        #17 Bonacorsi (Sr)            3-61 1 TD

#82 Myers (Sr)                  10-124 2 TD                         #11 Curtis (Jr)                    1-28

#81 Carron (Sr)                  6-110 1 TD

#21Cook (Jr)                       9-100  1 TD

Team:  86-1349   112.4/game 20 TD                           Team:  8-238  23.8  4 TD

Passing:

NV:#11 Brennan Ellis (Jr)                               88-158-1,377  55.7%, 20 TD,,10 INT

NC: #4 Thompson (Sr)                                    8-23-235          34.8%   4 TD, 0 INT

Defense:

NV                                                                                                                          NC

#44 Buchhaas (S4)                      98 Tackles            56-42                     #2 Basinger (Sr)                93           51-42

#52 Little (Jr)                                86                           47-39                     #6 Turner (Sr)                    80           39-41

#82 Myers (Sr)                            72                           43-29                     #11 Curtis (Jr)                    67           34-33

#10 Kilgore (Sr)                           45                           25-20                     #13 Pritchard (Sr)             59           30-29 #76 Woodard (sr)                     31                           11-20                     #68 Phillips (Sr)                 41           22-19

TFL:

NV                                                                          NC

#82 Myers (sr)   15.0                                        #65 Tierney (Sr) 15.0

#52 Little (Jr)      11.0                                        #2 Basinger (Sr)  10.0

#44 Buchhaas (Sr) 8.0                                     #6 Turner (Sr)  8.0

#70 Passmore (Sr)  8.0

Team: 53.0                                                          Team:  85.0

Sacks:

NV                                                                          NC

#82 Myers (Sr) 7.0                                           #68 Phillips (Sr)  6.0

#67 Eastlund (Jr) 2.0                                        #65 Tierney (Sr)  6.0       

# 50 Foncannon (Sr) 1.0                                 #55 bays (Sr) 3.0

Team 10.0                                                           Team:  22.0

Interceptions:    NV 11   Kilgore-4, Carron-2          NC: 20  Pritchard-6, Suggs-5, Basinger 3 

Fumble Rec:  NV 4     Myers-2                                     NC:  9   Basinger-3; Cowden-2; Curtis-2

Kicking- NV: Edney  23-31 PAT    0-1 FG                   NC:  Thompson 3-4      2 PT Conversion: 22

I think the falcons will win this game. Without a doubt the toughest challenge NC has faced to this point. NV 35 NC 28. I think the falcons just have what it takes to stop NC more than NC stops them. 

I think the Falcons will have to maximize every position..... and I think those PATs could be a factor.. as NC goes to for 2 and NV have been fairly successful.. should NC fall short on a 2 pt play and be chasing points could be big.  But I think if NC gets up early on.. and can eat the clock up with ball control AND put points up... could be a long night in Cayuga.  NV needs to be able to match point for point and get a stop or two...  They certainly have the offense to do it with Ellis, Myers, Kilgore and more...  Somehow they gotta keep Basinger from those long runs...  WW kept them at 14.. just couldn't do much offensively which impressed me with NC's D/

Good Luck to the teams. However, the giant in waiting is PIONEER. You WILL NOT stop them. They truly are the best in 1A! Jack Kiser is everything that is advertised about him. He also is a great young man. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

I take Crabtree, Blank, Lopez, and Davis 365 days a year. NV will be in position to win the game from a schematics standpoint. Still comes down to the Jimmies and Joes. New territory for both groups of young men...minus the seniors at NV who were 9th graders for the semi state at Linton...but the comeback victory over LuHi did not allow for substituting. 

Somebody be sure to lock up the stray dogs. Maybe NC-F replaces the sledgehammer with a pooper scooper this week? 

Edited by Joe Kane

Try as I might to find a current TBird roster that had their ht and wt... I failed!   The hogs in the trenches---  Well I know that against us (Linton)  North Vermillion had the following:

Tackles- #54 Ethan Watson (Jr 5'9 170); #52 Josh Little (Jr 5;8 170)

Guards- #50 Derek Foncannon (Sr 6'2 220) and #76 Gage Woodard (Sr 6'0 225)

Center- #51 Kale Flynn (Jr 5'8 175)

When there was a TE it was #44 Corey Buchhaas (Se 6' 1 175)

Defensively up front we saw Woodard and #82 Christian Myers (Sr 5'9 195) at DE's, and Foncannon and #60 Dice Cage (Jr 6'0 225) at DT.  Myers was all over the place in the Linton game.. I had him with 14 tackles.    OLB's were also pretty good.. #10 Jonathan Kilgore (Sr 6'1 175) AND #44 Buchhaas.  Inside  I had #52 LIttle.. and they started out with a freshman #7 Carter Edney (5'9 180) , and ended up with #51 Flynn.  

I know the Thunderbirds have some pretty big boys up front on both sides of the ball... 

Center- #70 Luke Passmore (Sr 6'0 ?)

Tackles:  #68 Matt Phillips (sr 6'3 ?); #65 Simon Tierney (sr 6'2 ?)

Guards: #77 Malachi England-Elrod (Sr 5'10)  #56 Cam Wanninger (Sr 5'11 ?)

Also run dual TE's most all the time with #17 Bonacorsi Sr and #6 Turner (Sr)

Defensive front much the same except #55 Greg Bays (Sr 5'9 ") is a DE ...

I will be interested to see if the NV front line can keep blockers off their LB corps..  Give Basinger a little space and he can be gone in a flurry.  Vice Versa-- Can the Falcon office wear down the Tbird big guys--- there isn't much in the way of depth... if they have to chase Ellis around alot.. plus Myers is a pretty physical runner as well.  I'd like to see this game.. but it's a long haul to Cayuga from Vincennes.. and even longer on a cold trip homE!!

I watched the Park Heritage game with North Central. The O line for NC really impressed me. They opened HUGE holes and Basinger ran free. 

NC pass defense seemed to give up several passes and allowed PH to score some. 

NC is built for this time of year. But, NV has been here before and it's nothing new to play in a big game.

6 minutes ago, navy80 said:

I watched the Park Heritage game with North Central. The O line for NC really impressed me. They opened HUGE holes and Basinger ran free. 

NC pass defense seemed to give up several passes and allowed PH to score some. 

NC is built for this time of year. But, NV has been here before and it's nothing new to play in a big game.

Not sure that the PH game would be the best gauge.  PH's defensive approach was about stupid!  I'm interested to see how well NC can move the ball against a technically sound defense.  Basinger is a good back, no doubt.  I would rather try to tackle him, than two of the backs from Linton, especially Dyer #5.

Feel as though NV has continued to progress and get better throughout the season.  Not sure if that is the case for NC.  The addition of Reynolds #12 for NV has given them some explosiveness.   

I thought our young team matched up well with NC. Our lines played well on both sides against a senior laden team. 

Our youth showed when we made critical errors at critical times. NC's experience showed by being very patient, executing a game plan and playing mistake free for nearly the entire game. 

I am pulling for the Thunderbirds. Coach Nolting is a good guy and coach. The team experiencing a championship for the first time in school history is a great story. The buy in and commitment of their senior class is evident and I wish them success.

6 hours ago, Brvheart said:

Good Luck to the teams. However, the giant in waiting is PIONEER. You WILL NOT stop them. They truly are the best in 1A! Jack Kiser is everything that is advertised about him. He also is a great young man. 

Awesome post Mr. Obvious!😂 Even those of us South of the GID equator know about Pioneer and Mr Kiser, and deservedly so. I think most people would rather talk about this game and common opponents for now. ✌️+💙

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Brvheart said:

Well, yeah.

But whoever wins this game will have accomplished "Something."

For those on the outside looking in, there are quite a few interesting details in this series:

Coach Brian Crabtree cut his HFC teeth in Farmersburg.  Taking a program with very little success and producing a couple 8-win seasons for the Tbirds.

Coach Travis Nolting replaced Crabtree in 2011.

A scrum broke out between the players of both schools during a game after Crabtree's departure.

Current Falcon DC Hank Lopez works at Riverton Parke and I believe was on staff when NC-F had a player rush for over 400 yards and 10 touchdowns against a much inferior Panther team.

Tons and tons of pregame hype/trash talk after the aforementioned player fight.  NV outscores NC-F 189 to 28 in four games over the next three season (one sectional match-up).

I am unsure of the reason, but the two schools no longer had each other on schedule after 2014.  Since Linton is no longer on NC-F's schedule either, does this game against NV become (to take a page from Michigan) a revenge tour game?  

It will be interesting to see if the T-birds choose to run through the pregame warm-up of the Falcons again when visiting Gibson field...and then continuously mocking NV while stretching.  I was quite shocked to witness that, but I believe it provided fuel to the fire for the Falcons.

Then, of course, the infamous stray dog chit on NC-F's sideline that I still get a good laugh at (clearly, I've mentioned it 100x on GID 🤣).

Anyway, good luck and good health to all involved tonight.  #WarFalcon 32-28

Edited by Joe Kane

I recall that incident... didn't NV lose a QB in that game to ejection?  I may have the time frame wrong.. doesn't seem like Brian was at NV yet.. I know he did a year at NPutnam.  But I sure recall there was a couple year period where that game was tense.  I can't believe I dropped the ball on remembering Brian being at NC.. and really bringing the TBirds some good years before he left.    HOpefully there will be a much more sportsmanlike effort.. which honestly I think will be the case...   This game is really split down evenly on the poll.... might be the tightest poll question I've ever had!!   I've a half mind to cancel my gig because of ahem.. sickness... and head north to see this one in person.  Course I can't do that... I wonder if the SUllivan radio station with John Montgomery  WNDI 95.3 will be broadcasting this in our area....  They always did our Linton games once the Arrows and TBirds were out.. when Linton was still going... ahhhhh the memories...   Good luck to you all tonight!      Straight shot up 41 for the NC folks... but watch them deer and the cold spots on bridges!!  I'll be keeping tabs!

It's important to mention that Trent Olson had winning records in two of his four seasons as NC's head coach. He deserves credit for proving you could win at NC. He also fought the same battles that Crabtree did, with people in positions of power within the school corporation actively working against the football program at that time. Great kids and awesome community though. Really, really good people at NC.

19 hours ago, senatorcoach72 said:

I thought our young team matched up well with NC. Our lines played well on both sides against a senior laden team. 

Our youth showed when we made critical errors at critical times. NC's experience showed by being very patient, executing a game plan and playing mistake free for nearly the entire game. 

I am pulling for the Thunderbirds. Coach Nolting is a good guy and coach. The team experiencing a championship for the first time in school history is a great story. The buy in and commitment of their senior class is evident and I wish them success.

Holding NC to 14 points...and really to one TD for most of the game was a terrific effort by the Senators... I suspect the NV folks have checked that film out a lot!! 

43 minutes ago, Woody Hayes said:

It's important to mention that Trent Olson had winning records in two of his four seasons as NC's head coach. He deserves credit for proving you could win at NC. He also fought the same battles that Crabtree did, with people in positions of power within the school corporation actively working against the football program at that time. Great kids and awesome community though. Really, really good people at NC.

True dat with Trent...and he had some good years with the Arrows as well....

ON the Poll page... this game is dang near split down the middle.   41 for N Central 37 for N. Vermillion.

Both teams are close in SOS.  Both teams are only a couple of spots apart in the polls (AP and Coach's).  Both teams only have one loss.  Since their loss at Linton in week 4, the Falcons have run off 8 straight wins.  After their week 6 loss, the T'Birds have run off 4 wins in a row.  Harrell's website predicts a 14 point win for the T'Birds.  However, the Falcons are the home team.  Having said all of that, I think this game will be closer than 14 points.  I won't be surprised by either team winning.  I believe they are THAT close to one another.  I hope all of the players stay healthy and play a good hard game.  Best of luck to BOTH teams.  I'm sort of rooting for the Falcons, but it would be kind of cool to see the T'Brids make a little more school history.

The weather is always less than ideal when NV hosts a big game.  Of course, given the time of the year in the Midwest, what do you expect....but still....'14 Regional vs Linton (not near as cold as the following week at Roncalli), '15 Regional vs LuHi, and now tonight.  I'm drawing a little bit of a blank with the '11 and '12 Regional against Scecina.  The schedule has sure been kind to the Falcons over the years.  Despite hosting, I'd still prefer neutral sites (I've yet to read that thread so if the reasoning has been explained for not offering a neutral site, I'll catch it later).

I have been really impressed with North Central this year. They have a very good coach. I found out this week that he is a Herb King (Loki) protege. When I found that out I liked him even more. You will not find a better coach than Herb (Loki) to have as a mentor. If the Tbirds are victorious will they make the short drive north to poop in Herbs yard? Has Herb extended an invitation for a victory poop in his yard?

One simply has to wonder what SkunkApe and Posum would think of this matchup. 

It seems almost as if the closing of Union as an IHSAA affiliated member also closed their posting careers on the GID. Used to get some really insightful stuff from those two...