Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

MIC Week #1

Here we go as the games count beginning this Friday!  Some real tossups on the schedule as I see a handful of coin flip contests that could really shape teams' seasons.  Excited for many of these matchups.

Center Grove @ Warren Central:  Plenty of juicy storylines here so I won't beat too many dead horses, but CG's quest for a three peat begins on the east side with a younger, new look outfit.  I see this one being a classic that comes down to a turnover here or there late in the fourth quarter and I honestly think this is my "upset" of the week.  The Trojan squad that left the field Thanksgiving weekend last fall has moved on and while I think they will be rolling and ready as the season progresses, I think it would be foolish to not expect some growing pains.  I am taking Warren 23-21 at the expense of looking silly Saturday morning.

Brownsburg @ Ben Davis:  This is another one that I think could go either way between two consensus top 10 teams in 6A.  I've long spoken of a "changing of the guard" on the west side but have also been adamant that I need to see more from Brownsburg in the tournament before I write it down in pen instead of pencil.  I am taking the easy way out here and picking BD because they are at home; 30-24.

Zionsville @ Pike:  Another regional/geographical battle for two areas that share the same backyard.  Zionsville has some graduation losses to overcome, and like CG I think its foolish to expect a well-oiled machine in week 1.  Pike's record will not reflect its improvement in 2022 unfortunately.  This is another close one but gimme Zionsville 23-14.

Louisville Trinity (KY) @ Carmel:  These two have played some classics recently and I will fully admit that I do not know much about the 2022 Trinity outfit other than they do not have anyone listed in the 2023 class on 247.  That leads be to believe the long bus ride combined with the talent deficit makes me tend to lean towards Carmel.  I will take the 'Hounds 34-21.

Avon @ Lawrence North:  Two programs that seem to be trending in opposite directions as Avon was at the bottom of the HCC last fall and LN is trending closer to the MIC's top two.  LN lost some obvious next level talent to graduation and I have heard great things about the Avon QB.  That being said, I think the Wildcats have a level of confidence never before seen on the northeast side.  LN wins 31-20.

Hamilton Southeastern @ Lawrence Central:  This may be the most underrated game on the schedule Friday night as both teams feel like a breakthrough year is coming.  HSE bounced back from a subpar 2020 last year and LC got a huge program win against Warren in the sectional and boasts the most talent player in the state.  A win here would go a long way for LC in terms of building momentum towards a memorable season.  I say the home team gets it done.  LC wins 20-17.

Fishers @ North Central:  Not to sound like a broken record but similar circumstances surround this game as both teams boast legit reasons for optimism entering this season.  I could also see this one going either way.  I'll say NC pulls it out 27-21.

My level of confidence in a weekly slate of picks has never been lower.  I could honestly see myself waking up on Saturday morning 0-7 on these picks.  A great week 1 slate.  

What say you?

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 10:57 AM, temptation said:

Here we go as the games count beginning this Friday!  Some real tossups on the schedule as I see a handful of coin flip contests that could really shape teams' seasons.  Excited for many of these matchups.

Center Grove @ Warren Central:  Plenty of juicy storylines here so I won't beat too many dead horses, but CG's quest for a three peat begins on the east side with a younger, new look outfit.  I see this one being a classic that comes down to a turnover here or there late in the fourth quarter and I honestly think this is my "upset" of the week.  The Trojan squad that left the field Thanksgiving weekend last fall has moved on and while I think they will be rolling and ready as the season progresses, I think it would be foolish to not expect some growing pains.  I am taking Warren 23-21 at the expense of looking silly Saturday morning.

Brownsburg @ Ben Davis:  This is another one that I think could go either way between two consensus top 10 teams in 6A.  I've long spoken of a "changing of the guard" on the west side but have also been adamant that I need to see more from Brownsburg in the tournament before I write it down in pen instead of pencil.  I am taking the easy way out here and picking BD because they are at home; 30-24.

Zionsville @ Pike:  Another regional/geographical battle for two areas that share the same backyard.  Zionsville has some graduation losses to overcome, and like CG I think its foolish to expect a well-oiled machine in week 1.  Pike's record will not reflect its improvement in 2022 unfortunately.  This is another close one but gimme Zionsville 23-14.

Louisville Trinity (KY) @ Carmel:  These two have played some classics recently and I will fully admit that I do not know much about the 2022 Trinity outfit other than they do not have anyone listed in the 2023 class on 247.  That leads be to believe the long bus ride combined with the talent deficit makes me tend to lean towards Carmel.  I will take the 'Hounds 34-21.

Avon @ Lawrence North:  Two programs that seem to be trending in opposite directions as Avon was at the bottom of the HCC last fall and LN is trending closer to the MIC's top two.  LN lost some obvious next level talent to graduation and I have heard great things about the Avon QB.  That being said, I think the Wildcats have a level of confidence never before seen on the northeast side.  LN wins 31-20.

Hamilton Southeastern @ Lawrence Central:  This may be the most underrated game on the schedule Friday night as both teams feel like a breakthrough year is coming.  HSE bounced back from a subpar 2020 last year and LC got a huge program win against Warren in the sectional and boasts the most talent player in the state.  A win here would go a long way for LC in terms of building momentum towards a memorable season.  I say the home team gets it done.  LC wins 20-17.

Fishers @ North Central:  Not to sound like a broken record but similar circumstances surround this game as both teams boast legit reasons for optimism entering this season.  I could also see this one going either way.  I'll say NC pulls it out 27-21.

My level of confidence in a weekly slate of picks has never been lower.  I could honestly see myself waking up on Saturday morning 0-7 on these picks.  A great week 1 slate.  

What say you?

Temp taking the township schools over the suburban ones? Are pigs finally flying? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, scarab527 said:

Temp taking the township schools over the suburban ones? Are pigs finally flying? 

To be fair, LN, BD, NC and LC are all playing at home in what I consider one possession type games for the most part.

I’d probably go the opposite direction on a couple of them were the location flipped.

Edited by temptation

On 8/15/2022 at 11:57 AM, temptation said:

What say you?

I like your picks.

Warren Central and Center Grove have a lot of interesting storylines, especially with all the drama that happened in the offseason.  With Warren returning 16 starters and CG graduating one of the best senior classes in the history of Indiana High School Football, it feels like if Warren can't beat Center Grove this year, then they won't beat them for a long time.  However, I think Eric Moore (along with Kyle Ralph) is as good at developing players in a program as any coach in the state, and will not allow CG to drop off too much from last year.  I think Center Grove at home wins this game by one score, but make no mistake, Warren Central is capable of winning this game and their players should believe in each other, and their ability to win this game.

Brownsburg returns many starters on both sides of the ball and Ben Davis usually starts slow.  I'm going with Brownsburg by two scores in this one.  However, as history shows, the result between these two teams could be much different come playoff time.

Zionsville should beat Pike by double digits.

I expect LN to win a one score game against Avon but pulling for Avon.

I think HSE wins a really close game against LC but definitely pulling for LC.

Fishers by two scores over North Central.

• Like 1

Forgot to mention Louisville Trinity at Carmel.  Carmel is loaded with 15 returning starters, multiple D1 recruits, and is more than capable of winning a state title this season.  Carmel went down to Louisville and beat Trinity 49-38 last season, so Carmel should beat Trinity by double digits this season.

7 hours ago, LC_Bears_04 said:

Warren Central and Center Grove have a lot of interesting storylines, especially with all the drama that happened in the offseason.  With Warren returning 16 starters and CG graduating one of the best senior classes in the history of Indiana High School Football, it feels like if Warren can't beat Center Grove this year, then they won't beat them for a long time.  However, I think Eric Moore (along with Kyle Ralph) is as good at developing players in a program as any coach in the state, and will not allow CG to drop off too much from last year.  I think Center Grove at home wins this game by one score, but make no mistake, Warren Central is capable of winning this game and their players should believe in each other, and their ability to win this game.

Brownsburg returns many starters on both sides of the ball and Ben Davis usually starts slow.  I'm going with Brownsburg by two scores in this one.  However, as history shows, the result between these two teams could be much different come playoff time.

Zionsville should beat Pike by double digits.

I expect LN to win a one score game against Avon but pulling for Avon.

I think HSE wins a really close game against LC but definitely pulling for LC.

Fishers by two scores over North Central.

Good analysis.  Enjoy reading your take.  Having regrets on the Warren pick now that I realize its on the road.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LC_Bears_04 said:

Forgot to mention Louisville Trinity at Carmel.  Carmel is loaded with 15 returning starters, multiple D1 recruits, and is more than capable of winning a state title this season.  Carmel went down to Louisville and beat Trinity 49-38 last season, so Carmel should beat Trinity by double digits this season.

Last year was probably the worst team Trinity has fielded in 20+ years. They started 0-6, yet still managed to make it to the state finals where they were soundly beaten by Male for the second time that season.

I do have the Greyhounds winning this one Friday but I think it’s a game that really could go either way. Trinity is one of the most dominant football programs in the Midwest and have 27 state titles. That’s impressive any way you slice it.

7 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Last year was probably the worst team Trinity has fielded in 20+ years. They started 0-6, yet still managed to make it to the state finals where they were soundly beaten by Male for the second time that season.

I do have the Greyhounds winning this one Friday but I think it’s a game that really could go either way. Trinity is one of the most dominant football programs in the Midwest and have 27 state titles. That’s impressive any way you slice it.

I am familiar with Louisville Trinity's football tradition.  They are usually ranked among the top 25-50 teams in the country and have played Cathedral and Warren Central in recent years.  Rondale Moore and the Brohm brothers played there.  I was very surprised with their poor start last season, even though it was mostly due to having a brutal schedule.  I assume last season was an anomaly for them and they will challenge for another state title along with Louisville Male and Louisville St. Xavier.  My prediction of Carmel winning by double digits has less to do with Trinity's ability as a team as much as it does how good I think Carmel will be this season and the 2 hour drive Trinity has to make to Carmel.

Now that Carmel is an independent and will have more open dates on their schedule to fill, hopefully they're willing to add Cathedral back to their schedule.

5 hours ago, LC_Bears_04 said:

Now that Carmel is an independent and will have more open dates on their schedule to fill, hopefully they're willing to add Cathedral back to their schedule.

Agreed.

Cathedral has an open date already this year and plays Hammond Morton for the second straight year. With Carmel being independent for the time being really, hope that changes and both these teams agree to play each other annually. Sounds like future dates with Cincy GCL teams are going to be few and far between so need schools like Center Grove and Carmel to be on the schedule consistently.

4 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Cathedral has an open date already this year and plays Hammond Morton for the second straight year. With Carmel being independent for the time being really, hope that changes and both these teams agree to play each other annually. Sounds like future dates with Cincy GCL teams are going to be few and far between so need schools like Center Grove and Carmel to be on the schedule consistently.

Totally agree...the options seem to be limited for independents.

CG travels to Trinity friday night Labor Day weekend....Trojans first 4 games are WC, Carmel, Trinity and BD.

10 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Totally agree...the options seem to be limited for independents.

CG travels to Trinity friday night Labor Day weekend....Trojans first 4 games are WC, Carmel, Trinity and BD.

Used to not be as big of a deal as Cathedral would play 2, sometime 3 GCL teams a year, but appears that is going away. 

8 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Used to not be as big of a deal as Cathedral would play 2, sometime 3 GCL teams a year, but appears that is going away. 

that is a bummer...great series and was hoping CG and Carmel would be afforded the same opportunity

7 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Agreed.

Would love to see Carmel play cathedral every year. Cathedral has one of their weaker schedules in recent history this year.