Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HCC Week #1

I will copy over the HCC/MIC week one contests here and pick the remaining three.

Brownsburg @ Ben Davis:  This is another one that I think could go either way between two consensus top 10 teams in 6A.  I've long spoken of a "changing of the guard" on the west side but have also been adamant that I need to see more from Brownsburg in the tournament before I write it down in pen instead of pencil.  I am taking the easy way out here and picking BD because they are at home; 30-24.

Zionsville @ Pike:  Another regional/geographical battle for two areas that share the same backyard.  Zionsville has some graduation losses to overcome, and like CG I think its foolish to expect a well-oiled machine in week 1.  Pike's record will not reflect its improvement in 2022 unfortunately.  This is another close one but gimme Zionsville 23-14.

Avon @ Lawrence North:  Two programs that seem to be trending in opposite directions as Avon was at the bottom of the HCC last fall and LN is trending closer to the MIC's top two.  LN lost some obvious next level talent to graduation and I have heard great things about the Avon QB.  That being said, I think the Wildcats have a level of confidence never before seen on the northeast side.  LN wins 31-20.

Hamilton Southeastern @ Lawrence Central:  This may be the most underrated game on the schedule Friday night as both teams feel like a breakthrough year is coming.  HSE bounced back from a subpar 2020 last year and LC got a huge program win against Warren in the sectional and boasts the most talent player in the state.  A win here would go a long way for LC in terms of building momentum towards a memorable season.  I say the home team gets it done.  LC wins 20-17.

Fishers @ North Central:  Not to sound like a broken record but similar circumstances surround this game as both teams boast legit reasons for optimism entering this season.  I could also see this one going either way.  I'll say NC pulls it out 27-21.

Westfield @ New Palestine:  Another intriguing game between two squads that have Thanksgiving weekend hopes.  New Pal returns to its rightful place in 4A and Westfield is coming off of back to back state runner up finishes.  I think the talent level is relatively equal but Wesfield's depth and ability to trot out fresh bodies is a major difference maker.  'Rocks win 31-23.

Mount Vernon (Fortville) @ Noblesville:  The term "must win" is overused and probably inaccurate for a contest in August but its pretty close to that for Noblesville.  A demanding slate starts with a solid 4A unit in Mount Vernon.  Not too many gimmes on the Millers' schedule this fall so they have to get this one or the pressure really turns up.  I think they get it done.  20-13 Noblesville.

Perry Meridian @ Franklin Central:  The momentum building on the southeast side may be justified though we won't find out in week 1 as Perry is an overmatched team here.  Flashes roll 42-14.

What say you?

Brownsburg returns many starters on both sides of the ball and Ben Davis usually starts slow.  I'm going with Brownsburg by two scores in this one.  However, as history shows, the result between these two teams could be much different come playoff time.

Zionsville should beat Pike by double digits.

I expect LN to win a one score game against Avon but pulling for Avon.

I think HSE wins a really close game against LC but definitely pulling for LC.

Fishers by two scores over North Central.

Westfield needs to be on upset alert against New Palestine.  Jake Gilbert told Kyle Neddenriep that he was concerned about his team's attention to detail so far in practice this season.  In the scrimmage against Ben Davis, Westfield's defense gave up several big plays and their offense didn't get close to the end zone against Ben Davis' defense.  New Palestine returns a ton of starters, including several D1 linemen, and should be the clear favorite in 4A.  They are good enough to win 5A if they were still in that class.  If Westfield doesn't show up focused and ready to play on Friday, New Palestine is going to push them around in the trenches up and down the field for 4 quarters.  If I had to guess I'd say Westfield pulls out a really close game in the end, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see New Palestine win this game.  Hope Westfield can match New Palestine's intensity in this game.

Last season when Mount Vernon won the 4A title, they lost to Noblesville 57-36 and Noblesville had a running back in that game set a school record with 347 rushing yards.  Mount Vernon graduated a lot of key pieces and Noblesville returns 17 starters including a couple D1 offensive lineman.  Dave Sharpe's power running game leads Noblesville to a double digit victory.

Franklin Central by 4 touchdowns over Perry Meridian.

Edited by LC_Bears_04

15 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Even though Noblesville returns a lot of players, AND they are opening what looks like a fabulous new stadium, I still think it will be very difficult to beat the Marauders.  I like Mt. Vernon 31-21.

Mt. Vernon couldn't handle Noblesville's O-Line last year and it was a blowout. Some late 2nd half scores by Mt. Vernon kept the score closer than what it was earlier in the 2nd half. I'll take Noblesville by 7-10 this year.

In other action I like: 

Brownsburg

Zionsville

LN

HSE

North Central

New Palestine

Franklin Central

18 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Mt. Vernon couldn't handle Noblesville's O-Line last year and it was a blowout. Some late 2nd half scores by Mt. Vernon kept the score closer than what it was earlier in the 2nd half. I'll take Noblesville by 7-10 this year.

Mt. Vernon game #1 vs Mt. Vernon state champions... totally different team.

7 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Mt. Vernon game #1 vs Mt. Vernon state champions... totally different team.

Why? Because in the Hoosier Heritage or 4A playoffs they didn't face a single O-Line that was as big and strong as Noblesville? IMO, IF Mt. Vernon wins tonight it'll be because Noblesville's D didn't step up. I don't see the Millers having any trouble moving the ball.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 12:03 PM, temptation said:

I will copy over the HCC/MIC week one contests here and pick the remaining three.

Brownsburg @ Ben Davis:  This is another one that I think could go either way between two consensus top 10 teams in 6A.  I've long spoken of a "changing of the guard" on the west side but have also been adamant that I need to see more from Brownsburg in the tournament before I write it down in pen instead of pencil.  I am taking the easy way out here and picking BD because they are at home; 30-24.

Zionsville @ Pike:  Another regional/geographical battle for two areas that share the same backyard.  Zionsville has some graduation losses to overcome, and like CG I think its foolish to expect a well-oiled machine in week 1.  Pike's record will not reflect its improvement in 2022 unfortunately.  This is another close one but gimme Zionsville 23-14.

Avon @ Lawrence North:  Two programs that seem to be trending in opposite directions as Avon was at the bottom of the HCC last fall and LN is trending closer to the MIC's top two.  LN lost some obvious next level talent to graduation and I have heard great things about the Avon QB.  That being said, I think the Wildcats have a level of confidence never before seen on the northeast side.  LN wins 31-20.

Hamilton Southeastern @ Lawrence Central:  This may be the most underrated game on the schedule Friday night as both teams feel like a breakthrough year is coming.  HSE bounced back from a subpar 2020 last year and LC got a huge program win against Warren in the sectional and boasts the most talent player in the state.  A win here would go a long way for LC in terms of building momentum towards a memorable season.  I say the home team gets it done.  LC wins 20-17.

Fishers @ North Central:  Not to sound like a broken record but similar circumstances surround this game as both teams boast legit reasons for optimism entering this season.  I could also see this one going either way.  I'll say NC pulls it out 27-21.

Westfield @ New Palestine:  Another intriguing game between two squads that have Thanksgiving weekend hopes.  New Pal returns to its rightful place in 4A and Westfield is coming off of back to back state runner up finishes.  I think the talent level is relatively equal but Wesfield's depth and ability to trot out fresh bodies is a major difference maker.  'Rocks win 31-23.

Mount Vernon (Fortville) @ Noblesville:  The term "must win" is overused and probably inaccurate for a contest in August but its pretty close to that for Noblesville.  A demanding slate starts with a solid 4A unit in Mount Vernon.  Not too many gimmes on the Millers' schedule this fall so they have to get this one or the pressure really turns up.  I think they get it done.  20-13 Noblesville.

Perry Meridian @ Franklin Central:  The momentum building on the southeast side may be justified though we won't find out in week 1 as Perry is an overmatched team here.  Flashes roll 42-14.

What say you?

I’ll see myself out now.  Wow, ouch.

Brownsburg 21 - Ben Davis 16

Zionsville @ Pike can't find the score 

Avon 25- Lawrence North 32

Hamilton Southeastern 12- Lawrence Central 7

Fishers 34- North Central 0

Westfield 28- New Palestine 42

Mount Vernon (Fortville) 35 - Noblesville 43

Perry Meridian 7-Franklin Central 37

4 hours ago, FBfanatic40 said:

Brownsburg 21 - Ben Davis 16

Zionsville @ Pike can't find the score 

Avon 25- Lawrence North 32

Hamilton Southeastern 12- Lawrence Central 7

Fishers 34- North Central 0

Westfield 28- New Palestine 42

Mount Vernon (Fortville) 35 - Noblesville 43

Perry Meridian 7-Franklin Central 37

Zionsville beat Pike 31-24 in double overtime.  But it shouldn't have gotten to that point as Pike missed a field goal at the end of regulation but Zionsville ran into the kicker and Pike got a second chance to make the kick.