Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Week 1 Officiating Issues

Bobref

Question

Post officiating-related issues here. Questions. Observations. Even Complaints, provided they are made in a sportsmanlike manner and contain enough factual detail to allow comment. Otherwise, they will be hooted down.

I’m particularly interested to hear observations about implementation of the new intentional grounding rule.

11 answers to this question

North Miami at Manchester

Late 4th quarter, first down gained by offense. Play clock reset and run. Chains set. Clock winds. NM milking clock, play clock goes to zero. Side judge throws a flag for delay. Officials confer. Outcome of play is to waive the flag, down remains first. White hat starts playclock and winds the game clock AGAIN. There was some lag in the play clock, where it would occasionally skip 1-2 seconds (run from 18–pause-16-pause-12) occasionally, but does that justify the adjudication on that play? I’m a basketball official, so I generally try and back the officials, but that call or decision has me confounded.

What the heck happened? Game was being observed by an IHSAA observer. I asked him what happened and he also wasn’t sure. I’d never seen that before and don’t really have a good explanation. 

22 minutes ago, MacAttack53 said:

Game was being observed by an IHSAA observer

I’m looking at the Week 1 observers’ schedule and I don’t see that game on the list.

There are multiple potential explanations. I’d only be speculating. But if there was an observer there, I could find out from him.

Saw a player in my game flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct on a breakaway TD reception.  Later seeing TV highlights, all he did was raise his index finger to the air before crossing the goal line (started maybe around the 5?).  Never turned to look back to the defender trailing by 10 yards, so he couldn't have been taunting  Flag came out immediately as he scored.  

Here's video of the play:

https://twitter.com/Zane_Clodfelter/status/1560791604058791936?s=20&t=0clND8H3fIr-g5Bvy2VH1Q

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Bcaster said:

Saw a player in my game flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct on a breakaway TD reception.  Later seeing TV highlights, all he did was raise his index finger to the air before crossing the goal line (started maybe around the 5?).  Never turned to look back to the defender trailing by 10 yards, so he couldn't have been taunting  Flag came out immediately as he scored.  

Here's video of the play:

https://twitter.com/Zane_Clodfelter/status/1560791604058791936?s=20&t=0clND8H3fIr-g5Bvy2VH1Q

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

IMO, not a foul, unless there’s some accompanying verbiage that’s unsportsmanlike.

1 hour ago, MacAttack53 said:

Late 4th quarter, first down gained by offense. Play clock reset and run. Chains set. Clock winds. NM milking clock, play clock goes to zero. Side judge throws a flag for delay. Officials confer. Outcome of play is to waive the flag, down remains first. White hat starts playclock and winds the game clock AGAIN. There was some lag in the play clock, where it would occasionally skip 1-2 seconds (run from 18–pause-16-pause-12) occasionally, but does that justify the adjudication on that play? I’m a basketball official, so I generally try and back the officials, but that call or decision has me confounded.

What the heck happened? Game was being observed by an IHSAA observer. I asked him what happened and he also wasn’t sure. I’d never seen that before and don’t really have a good explanation. 

Not sure why they chose to pick up the flag. But if the game clock is an issue toward the end of a half I would not start the game clock until the snap because it's not equitable to let the offense burn 65 seconds between plays. This is a good example where the referee can apply the rule that allows them to start or stop the clock if they feel a team would gain an advantage otherwise.

2 minutes ago, JustRules said:

This is a good example where the referee can apply the rule that allows them to start or stop the clock if they feel a team would gain an advantage otherwise.

When I was refereeing we used to refer to this as part of the “God Rule,” which pretty much gives the guy with the white hat the power to do everything and anything on game night.

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

When I was refereeing we used to refer to this as part of the “God Rule,” which pretty much gives the guy with the white hat the power to do everything and anything on game night.

It's even more specifically mentioned. I don't have my rule book handy, but I know it's there.

39 minutes ago, JustRules said:

It's even more specifically mentioned. I don't have my rule book handy, but I know it's there.

You’re thinking of 3-4-6. The other parts of the God Rule are 9-9-1, which empowers the Referee to enforce any penalty he deems equitable when a team commits an unfair act for which there is no specific rule coverage, and 1-1-6 which gives the Referee the authority to rule on any situation not specifically covered by the rules, and provides his decisions are “final.”

• Like 1

I would say the crew that worked our game was outstanding, I would say the only issue was the play clock operator setting to 25 seconds for alot of the game, instead of 40. That wasn't caught until we said something, and as a coaching staff got scolded by our sideline official, as we were JUST ASSISTANTS!!!!   LOL

On 8/20/2022 at 12:45 PM, MacAttack53 said:

I spoke to the IHSAA observer on this game. Apparently, they had issues with the clock operators all night. On that particular instance, the play clock operator had erroneously set the play clock to 25 sec. instead of 40. The crew didn’t catch it until after the play clock went to zero. So, they picked up the delay flag, but felt they had to reset the play clock to the correct interval. Not an optimal outcome, but the best one they could come up with under the circumstances.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

I spoke to the IHSAA observer on this game. Apparently, they had issues with the clock operators all night. On that particular instance, the play clock operator had erroneously set the play clock to 25 sec. instead of 40. The crew didn’t catch it until after the play clock went to zero. So, they picked up the delay flag, but felt they had to reset the play clock to the correct interval. Not an optimal outcome, but the best one they could come up with under the circumstances.

I would have also considered resetting the game clock to what it would have been with 25 seconds left. The mistake of the clock operator and the crew to recognize it ealier cost the defense an additional 10 seconds of game clock time. That's better than 25 seconds but still a significant difference late in a half. In many states the clock operators and chain crew are part of the crew and provided by new or retired officials. We should all consider ourselves part of the same team.