Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

New Pal @ Cathedral

2 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

A Cathedral coach admitted the kid in question (assuming only one) played excessive quarters.  He didn't apologize and indicated he didn't agree with the rule.  #letthekidsplay  You did read that, right?  To say his quote on GID was flippant would be an understatement.  What kind of culture does it take for a member of a high school coaching staff respond on a high school forum, justifying non-compliance with IHSAA rules??

It would be up to the opposing school to bring this to the attention of the IHSAA. I know Ben Davis had a situation where they played a varsity game a few years back where a basketball player played too many quarters, and it was not pushed so the game is still a win for that team (which shall remain nameless) even though it was known it happened. 

For clarity, the team was not Cathedral, Center Grove, or New Pal.

17 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

I have watched a couple of games. From what I have seen the Irish defense has looked very good. If I were to pick something of a weakness of the defense it would be their occasional mental lapses. By that I mean when they have a lapse and unnecessary penalties that extend a drive like an encroachment etc. They play fast and physical though.

I do admit I have only watched New Pal against Decatur Central (a game they should have won) and last week against Whiteland. Aside from the 1 long TD run Whiteland had early on (listening to Coach Ralph at halftime talk about that play made me chuckle his wording was perfect and I enjoy listening to him speak what goes through his mind). New Pal doesn't tend to have a wow factor player on their team and they are young. I am very impressed how well they play as a team. I am also impressed with their improvement from week 1 to now (even though they should have won the week 1 game). You can tell Coach Ralph and staff work really hard on the fundamentals and conditioning of their players. I would say all of you are thankful each passing week for the mind Coach Ralph has when it comes to football, his players, staff, and community. 

More importantly I hope Max is having fun and you are having fun watching him play! Has Sampson cut his hair yet (I kid I kid).

Maxen is having fun, but definitely needs a haircut. We are having a blast watching him.

This thread has definitely taken a turn for the worse.  Game tonight went about like I expected. Dragons went 5 wide. Had some open guys and made a few plays. Defense held their own, but wore down. Had a few injuries tonight, including QB knocked out for almost the entire second quarter. Hurry up offense for Cathedral was a nice wrinkle. Very young Dragons team that needs to get a little tougher and a lot more focused in the future. It’s back to 4A for NP.

Edited by CaptainHook

The Irish didn't play their best, too many penalties and too many turnovers.  New Pal had a lot to do with the latter.  It was a hard hitting game.

I hope that Seth Mencer isn't hurt too badly,  as he limped off the field in the 4th quarter after a good night.  He must've gained more than 100 yards tonight.

I'm still amazed that New Albany beat Bloomington South.  Now the Irish will have another home game next week.  I presume it will be at Tech.  I heard nothing official.  Purdue basketball kept the Irish off the over the air broadcast, so there was no Irish post game show.

7 hours ago, Grover said:

I’m at Tech right now but don’t see the tailgate. Guess I’m too early. Have fun tonight. 

It was rather small.  It was on the west side of the parking lot.  Most Irish fans didn't arrive until late because of the bad weather, I presume.  There was also a gathering at a local bar in the area.

You know I always have fun!😊

4 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

The Irish didn't play their best, too many penalties and too many turnovers.  New Pal had a lot to do with the latter.  It was a hard hitting game.

I hope that Seth Mencer isn't hurt too badly,  as he limped off the field in the 4th quarter after a good night.  He must've gained more than 100 yards tonight.

I'm still amazed that New Albany beat Bloomington South.  Now the Irish will have another home game next week.  I presume it will be at Tech.  I heard nothing official.  Purdue basketball kept the Irish off the over the air broadcast, so there was no Irish post game show.

As am I because NA (while winning the HHC) didn’t do it by blowing teams out. The HHC was awful this year. The Irish main plan next week is get healthy for the 5A Title game. 

2 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

As am I because NA (while winning the HHC) didn’t do it by blowing teams out. The HHC was awful this year. The Irish main plan next week is get healthy for the 5A Title game. 

Of course I hope you're right but the Irish have been tested these last two weeks, and hopefully it will be good for them to be tested.  it's just good to be playing at home next week, especially for this old fan!

14 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Over/Under number of games played in the renewed Cathedral/Roncalli series before Roncalli bails?

I'll put it at 2.5.

Way to go......you couldnt beat Mt Vernon!  Hahahhahhhahhahaah

Just now, Sports Freak20 said:

Way to go......you couldnt beat Mt Vernon!  Hahahhahhhahhahaah

That was mean for StatQueen

If our offense plays like they did last night, we aren't beating Zionsville. 3 more stalled red zone drives resulting in 3 field goal attempts. 

When our D completely shuts down the other team like they did last night (-38 total rushing yards!!), we have to capitalize. New Pal has an excellent young NT, but we needed to spread the ball better. 1 catch for our tight ends is not gonna get it done. 

This game was very similar to last week's game with Decatur Central.  Very physical, and our smothering defense frustrated and completely wore down their offense which made the game chippy late in the second half.  Too many penalties (85 yards this game?), but I suppose that is part of our DNA and I never see that changing anytime soon.  

1 hour ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

If our offense plays like they did last night, we aren't beating Zionsville. 3 more stalled red zone drives resulting in 3 field goal attempts. 

When our D completely shuts down the other team like they did last night (-38 total rushing yards!!), we have to capitalize. New Pal has an excellent young NT, but we needed to spread the ball better. 1 catch for our tight ends is not gonna get it done. 

Actually there were 4 field goal attempts as Gomez missed one.  He doesn't miss many kicks at all.  The offense played very conservatively last night.  It is time to spread it around.  I really believe that the wind had an effect on the passing game of both teams.

I still haven't heard anything officially.  Will the game next week be at Tech?

Edited by PHJIrish

4 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Actually there were 4 field goal attempts as Gomez missed one.  He doesn't miss many kicks at all.  The offense played very conservatively last night.  It is time to spread it around.  I really believe that the wind had an effect on the passing game of both teams.

I still haven't heard anything officially.  Will the game next week be at Tech?

It's official. Streiff told me last night. 

2 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

One thing I noticed was after Gomez hit a field goal to start third quarter the Irish really started to play conservatively to keep the clock running.  

1 minute ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

It's official. Streiff told me last night. 

Thanks.  I finally saw the information on another thread.  See ya there!

Just now, Dave007 said:

One thing I noticed was after Gomez hit a field goal to start third quarter the Irish really started to play conservatively to keep the clock running.  

Yeah.  It seemed a bit out of character for the Irish.

19 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Then the Center Grove member who started the thread was wrong. Are you folks still bringing this up so you can say you had an undefeated JV season by getting the IHSAA to declare a forfeit in the last JV game of the season which has been over for weeks? I still don't get why it continues to be brought up. Don't you guys have your own varsity game to prepare for tonight? One that actually matters?

It has nothing to do with a single JV game.  My beef was the coach's response flippantly admitting non-compliance with a rule (that effects BOTH friday and sat night's game) and fans that want to brush both the event and the coach's unfortunate response on GID under the rug.  Had the coach said  nothing, or stated it was an honest mistake, not a biggie.  But he admitted to breaking rules with a smug response.  It is wrong and there is no 2 ways about it.

I don't have anything to prepare for....I will say this again....I am not affiliated with GGHS sports, no kid involved, etc.

The CG fan that started the thread was NOT wrong.  The playing of excessive quarters occurred, a Cathedral coach admitted it and stated his distaste for the rule...

1 minute ago, Bash Riprock said:

It has nothing to do with a single JV game.  My beef was the coach's response flippantly admitting non-compliance with a rule (that effects BOTH friday and sat night's game) and fans that want to brush both the event and the coach's unfortunate response on GID under the rug.  Had the coach said  nothing, or stated it was an honest mistake, not a biggie.  But he admitted to breaking rules with a smug response.  It is wrong and there is no 2 ways about it.

I don't have anything to prepare for....I will say this again....I am not affiliated with GGHS sports, no kid involved, etc.

The CG fan that started the thread was NOT wrong.  The playing of excessive quarters occurred, a Cathedral coach admitted it and stated his distaste for the rule...

You’re still talking about this…

?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

100% true....offense was not very good last night.  Defense was excellent.

10 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

You’re still talking about this…

?

They only wanna talk about it on a thread they can troll. I brought it up on their own game thread and got downvoted immediately. This has been the longest lasting JV game in the history of Indiana High School Football.

• Haha 1