Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral at Brownsburg

When you play poorly, it's almost certain you will lose.  So it was tonight for the Irish.  Tackling was not as good as it should have been, and the better team won.  Hats off to the Bulldogs and I sure hope the Irish get better before the playoffs, or sooner.

I just hope Danny O'Neil is OK.  He went down late in the game.

Also, the officiating crew was subpar.  Lots of missed calls tonight.  And please, no whining about this observation.

44 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

When you play poorly, it's almost certain you will lose.  So it was tonight for the Irish.  Tackling was not as good as it should have been, and the better team won.  Hats off to the Bulldogs and I sure hope the Irish get better before the playoffs, or sooner.

Also, the officiating crew was subpar.  Lots of missed calls tonight.  And please, no whining about this observation.

The Irish made a lot of mistakes.  The officiating was bad, but Brownsburg played well and beat us fair and square, no excuses.  Danny is fine, but the Irish need to learn from this loss and get better.  I am more concerned about Wooten's injury.  Overall, a team with very little varsity experience.  I believe we will be fine.....

6 hours ago, psaboy said:

Did the D1 skill players make the trip?

I would say they made the trip.

QB - Passing 26 of 44 for 317 yds 4 TD 0 Int / Rushing 13 carries 113 yds

WR 1 - 13 catches 121 yds 2 TD's

WR 2 - 4 catches 70 yds 1 TD

WR 3 - 1 catch 14 yds 1 TD

TE 1 - 3 catches 42 yds (prior to injury)

What didn't show up was the defense or special teams. To be one of top contenders you have to play well in all 3 phases of the game. The Irish didn't do that. There has been some crowning to start the season without a game being played, 6A in my opinion is very wide open CG will be my top favorite until someone knocks them off (even they will have some struggles). The Irish have some really good players, I think they will be a different team with more experience later in the season. Replacing 9 of 11 starters on defense there is going to be some growing pains and learning to get better. A game like last night will provide growth for those new starters. Offensively the Irish played very well but had a crucial fumble and a couple of bad penalties. The Irish will be fine as the season goes along ultimately none of it truly matters until the tournament rolls around.

As for Brownsburg they played very well on offense as well. Their special teams were spectacular. I think the only kickoff their kicker didn't put in the endzone was after a penalty enforced on the kickoff backed them up and I think he still hit the 3 yard line. Young man has a very nice leg. Brownsburg QB played very well. They have some speed with their WR's and 2 solid RB's one of which was very shifty. Defensively for the Bulldogs they played very solid up front, their pass defense didn't have its best game, but they were defending some very good weapons.

@PHJIrish I would concur that the officials didn't have their best night to be somewhat nice. I am sure they will review the film and not like some of it and hopefully improve (Game #2 for them also). I think the most glaring no call I could see was on the play the Cathedral TE got hurt the defender 100% interfered with the pass and even grabbed the TE's facemask and pulled him down before the ball was there with no call. It wasn't the best night for the officials

• Like 2

The only thing I didn't love in this loss was the Irish conditioning. If Coach Peebs doesn't run their arses into the ground all week the next two weeks, I'd be disappointed. Hands on hips as early as the 2nd quarter and our all-world D-line was pedestrian at best. 

O-line played so much better than week 1. D played so much worse. 2 blocked punts inside our own 30 and one fumble inside their 10 (albeit horrific call) were major mistakes that sank us. 

I love playing in 6A. 

• Like 2

I think last time Irish gave up 42 points was back in 2017 vs Columbus East.  Clearly the defense needs to get it together and next week at Penn will be another test.

It could be argued that our special teams/punting unit may have cost us the game as their blunders led to 14 points for Bulldogs...but the better team won last night.

Was an awesome atmosphere last night for a football game played in August!

3 hours ago, Dave007 said:

I think last time Irish gave up 42 points was back in 2017 vs Columbus East.  Clearly the defense needs to get it together and next week at Penn will be another test.

It could be argued that our special teams/punting unit may have cost us the game as their blunders led to 14 points for Bulldogs...but the better team won last night.

Was an awesome atmosphere last night for a football game played in August!

No likes left, but I like this post.

15 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

LOL...you can whine about the officiating and that's just fine.  But no one can whine about your whining......that's hilarious!!  I hope that was a joke!!

8 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

LOL...you can whine about the officiating and that's just fine.  But no one can whine about your whining......that's hilarious!!  I hope that was a joke!!

I thought they were just ok. Few questionable holding calls each way and I do think they called a pretty egregious PI on a crucial 3rd down on a play with pretty minimal contact on a ball that was well overthrown. They did almost screw Cathedral out of a possession late as they were trying to come back. Never reset the down after a holding penalty and it may not have gotten corrected if it weren’t for a very animated sideline and lengthy discussion. But I’ve seen far worse at this level, that’s for sure.

5 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I thought they were just ok. Few questionable holding calls each way and I do think they called a pretty egregious PI on a crucial 3rd down on a play with pretty minimal contact on a ball that was well overthrown. They did almost screw Cathedral out of a possession late as they were trying to come back. Never reset the down after a holding penalty and it may not have gotten corrected if it weren’t for a very animated sideline and lengthy discussion. But I’ve seen far worse at this level, that’s for sure.

I'm not doubting for one second officials don't get all calls correct.  Some can absolutely hurt worse than others.  But as we all know, coaches don't get every play call correct, and players certainly don't execute all plays...or even close to all plays.  

Comments like the one I referenced, if serious, come off as sour grapes.  They discredit the opponent.  I just had to laugh at a comment that basically states "I am going to whine, but don't anyone whine about my whining."  Whether intended or not, that was funny stuff!  

Cathedral will come back stronger than ever...and the kids got better last night playing that caliber of opponent on their home field.  Did someone mention about O'Neill being injured?  I sure hope that is not the case.  Special talent.  CG lost all-state tailback Drew Wheat for the season in the opening quarter last week against WC.  Simply sucks when this happens to a young person, especially their senior year.  I know Danny has another season to play, but let's hope he is just fine.

13 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Brave.

2 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

officials don't get all calls correct.  

Run for cover!

2 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Did someone mention about O'Neill being injured?  I sure hope that is not the case.  Special talent.  CG lost all-state tailback Drew Wheat for the season in the opening quarter last week against WC.  Simply sucks when this happens to a young person, especially their senior year.  I know Danny has another season to play, but let's hope he is just fine.

I believe coach was quoted as saying O'Neill has a hip pointer.

10 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I'm not doubting for one second officials don't get all calls correct.  Some can absolutely hurt worse than others.  But as we all know, coaches don't get every play call correct, and players certainly don't execute all plays...or even close to all plays.  

Comments like the one I referenced, if serious, come off as sour grapes.  They discredit the opponent.  I just had to laugh at a comment that basically states "I am going to whine, but don't anyone whine about my whining."  Whether intended or not, that was funny stuff!  

Cathedral will come back stronger than ever...and the kids got better last night playing that caliber of opponent on their home field.  Did someone mention about O'Neill being injured?  I sure hope that is not the case.  Special talent.  CG lost all-state tailback Drew Wheat for the season in the opening quarter last week against WC.  Simply sucks when this happens to a young person, especially their senior year.  I know Danny has another season to play, but let's hope he is just fine.

To be fair, that poster has whined about officiating over the years more than just anybody else on here, so I take it with a grain of salt. I rarely mention officiating on here and I don’t think it factored into the outcome of last nights game at all. I was simply pointing out what I thought were poor calls in last nights game. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

So it goes. There was the “push the pile” clip from Neddenriep’s twitter feed that caught my eye. 4 or 5 Irish defenders walking during a live play.. not something that you see every day. 

I have not indicated that the officials cost the Irish the game.  Brownsburg outplayed the Irish and deserved to win.  

As for the officiating, I'm not whining, I'm stating the truth.  Sometimes it's necessary.

3 hours ago, BigBrebeufFan said:

So it goes. There was the “push the pile” clip from Neddenriep’s twitter feed that caught my eye. 4 or 5 Irish defenders walking during a live play.. not something that you see every day. 

The Irish defensive effort wasn't up to Cathedral standards at all last night.  I'm sure the players and the coaches would agree with that.