Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SWIAC 2018-19

Indeed. Sagarin ranks the two teams pretty close. This is one of those games where a close game either way wouldn't surprise me but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if Linton blows them out either. Linton is capable of getting on a run that would strain any team and I question the togetherness of North Daviess. Thompson greatly improves the Cougars from a talent standpoint, but most of their wins are against weak competition. They have a couple of nice wins too and aren't a bad team at all but if Linton gets it going can North Daviess weather the storm and punch back? We will see. 

Not really a SWIAC post but just for info, I went to the Linton - Sullivan 7th and 8th grade games last evening.  Linton's 7th grade is just average at best and lost by about 6 to the arrows.  I really wanted to see the Linton 8th grade team which apparently is very good.  The young Miners didn't disappoint as the game was completely one-sided, ending up 56 -31.  An interesting observation is was that the team looked identical to the High School team in the way they defended and played the offense.  HS coach's son, young Joey Hart is said to be the best prospect of the team but he didn't standout much, if any, above the others which is a good thing.  Two evenings before Linton beat a good and undefeated North Daviess 8th grade team.  One odd fact was the Sullivan, a 3A school, has only 8 eighth graders on the roster and only dressed 6.  I don't know what's up with that.  Bottom line is, this Miner eighth grade team seems to be loaded with good players so the future looks pretty good for Linton.

19 hours ago, kingtut said:

Not really a SWIAC post but just for info, I went to the Linton - Sullivan 7th and 8th grade games last evening.  Linton's 7th grade is just average at best and lost by about 6 to the arrows.  I really wanted to see the Linton 8th grade team which apparently is very good.  The young Miners didn't disappoint as the game was completely one-sided, ending up 56 -31.  An interesting observation is was that the team looked identical to the High School team in the way they defended and played the offense.  HS coach's son, young Joey Hart is said to be the best prospect of the team but he didn't standout much, if any, above the others which is a good thing.  Two evenings before Linton beat a good and undefeated North Daviess 8th grade team.  One odd fact was the Sullivan, a 3A school, has only 8 eighth graders on the roster and only dressed 6.  I don't know what's up with that.  Bottom line is, this Miner eighth grade team seems to be loaded with good players so the future looks pretty good for Linton.

The North Daviess 8th grade team is better than good. I don't believe they have ever lost before, have they? Any details on that game would be appreciated.

Miner's 8th grade team is a fun team to watch with some depth, size for that level, and athletes lets hope that they keep working hard and get better every year, which probably wont be a problem with Coach Hart leading the program.  The 7th has improved every year and Coach Franklin has them playing very hard and they have some players that have a toughness that you just cant coach into a kid.  They need work to do with developing their basketball skills.   

Linton by 20 tonight

Linton beat them by 10 or 12, I think.  Not really sure what the final score was.  North Davies has a really mature group of 8th graders

Linton's 8th grade team played well for about a half against North Daviess.  Neither team shot well.  Linton had a lot of turnovers in the second half.  I'm not sure the Miners really utilized their biggest advantage over the Cougars.  The Miners go about 11 deep.  In a game of that magnitude they probably go 8 or 9 deep.  Linton and North Daviess both played basically 5-6 guys.  It was evident on the defensive end for the Miners... and probably contributed to some lazy offense as well.  If I'm a ND coach, I'm preaching about how effective their defense was in the 2nd half... and how they are unlikely to shoot that poorly again.  Especially since the Miner defense seemed to lag a little in the 2nd half.

Linton's 7th grade play their tails off... they just need some physical maturity and a lot of time in a gym.  They are 5-8, but could very easily have 8-9 wins.  The class in general just doesn't have a lot of athletes who have matured.  Seems to be the status quo among most of the teams I have seen.  It seems every 7th grade team is low on athletes.

Off by 10 points on the Linton/ND game, Linton scores just 48 points, 18 points under their season average.  Coach Hart was satisfied with limiting the ND possessions.  It is unbelievable that Slover went through the GCI without being recognized for first team honors or you could have made a case for MVP. He didn't disappoint Friday night either with a great defensive performance and knocking down shots from charity stripe.  Townsend is a player, he is the only player on that team though,  ND needs another scorer to compliment and take some of the scoring pressure off of him.  I can see ND making some noise in sectional 47 especially with home court advantage.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

North Daviess  8th grade coaches and players deserve a lot of credit.  They scouted Linton multiple times and knew how/where to expose their weaknesses on offense and defense.  The players executed a great gameplan. 

Most Linton 8th grade parents would tell you we were not playing great team basketball as the season wound down.  Too many 3 pointers... lazy defense... lack of substitutions (Linton goes 11 deep with kids who can contribute).... too much one on one... lack of passing to open teammates... the list can go on and on.  It was hard not to notice, but somehow it was discounted because we have some prolific scorers that masked the other problems.  It was painfully noticeable in every close game the Miners played.  The week before Linton nearly lost to a TH North team that they had beat by 15+ the day before... they went down to the wire with a Sullivan team that they beat by 30 during the season.  We even had a close game with Clay City that Saturday morning (Won that by 25 or 30 earlier in the year).  North Daviess was the only team good enough to expose them.  It didn't help that Linton had one of their top 3 scorers at about 75%.  He was the one kid the Cougars couldn't guard in the 1st game.  Even at 100%, I think Linton loses by 10.  Sort of sad... it should have been a barn burner.  The Miners never quite figured out how to play as a team.  Not easy for a coach to factor in 2 new players (leading scorers on their previous teams)and play 11 kids who could all contribute.   As much as it pains me to say it... the better team won.  ND was unselfish on offense and tough on defense.  Linton still has far more talent top to bottom.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 12:25 PM, horacegrant said:

Anyone paying attention to what is going on at Eastern? Might not be basketball but if I was the coach I sure wouldn't feel comfortable. I'm sure they will have people lined up to work with that bunch!

Should the Eastern board decide to go in another direction their next coach may already be in house. Former varsity coach at three different schools, current teacher at Eastern...things that make you go, "Hmmmm...."

15 hours ago, shooter1 said:

Who all made all conference?  

Assuming Foreign Exchange student from Bloomfield made it.  When, if ever has a FE Student been all Swiac?

Last year. Kapek (Bloomfield)

Pretty sure it never happened before then though.

Edited by ts32