Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

What to know about the Indiana judges who were shot at a White Castle

Muda69

2 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

the bad guys have been arrested.

Just who are the "bad guys?". Pretty quick to pass judgement while the investigation is ongoing isn't it? 

https://www.wthr.com/article/prosecutor-additional-investigation-needed-filing-charges-judges-shooting

FTA: "The Marion County Prosecutor’s Office notified the court Friday that the State does not intend, at this time, to file charges in this matter."

• Disdain 1

22 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

My comment in my last post was in general about the characters out that time of morning....not specific to these 2 people.  

No it wasn't:

4 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Just glad they are going to recover and the bad guys have been arrested.

Edited by gonzoron
  • Disdain 1

Recovering over the weekend from a long vacation, I fell asleep in the lazy boy Saturday night early, must have been 7:30ish. Woke up about 3:00am, hungry. So I headed to Waffle House about 3:30. Oddly enough a nice policeman pulled out and followed my for about the last mile and a half of my journey all the way to the parking lot. 

Long story short TD, while I understand what you're saying about a criminal element in the early morning hours, I didn't see anyone in the Waffle House that fit the bill, other than possibly the cook, he was a surely lookin dude. 

And I apologize for not contacting you about going to the Waffle House @gonzoron it was a last minute decision.

46 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Recovering over the weekend from a long vacation, I fell asleep in the lazy boy Saturday night early, must have been 7:30ish. Woke up about 3:00am, hungry. So I headed to Waffle House about 3:30. Oddly enough a nice policeman pulled out and followed my for about the last mile and a half of my journey all the way to the parking lot. 

Long story short TD, while I understand what you're saying about a criminal element in the early morning hours, I didn't see anyone in the Waffle House that fit the bill, other than possibly the cook, he was a surely lookin dude. 

And I apologize for not contacting you about going to the Waffle House @gonzoron it was a last minute decision.

Best not to ask for no powdered sugar on your french toast in that case.  😄

5 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I have been to a Waffle House much more recently than a strip club. Even though the strip club is closer. It’s been more than 20 years since I was in a strip club. I didn’t go to the nicer ones, too many”E-lights” for my taste. 

I preferred the sleaziest ones. The ones where they used to pat you down at the door for weapons. To make sure you had one.

Much more fun in those!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The plot thickens.

https://www.theindianalawyer.com/articles/50733-judicial-qualifications-commission-moves-to-suspend-judge-charged-in-indianapolis-shooting?utm_source=breaking-news&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=2019-06-28

The Indiana Commission on Judicial Qualifications has filed a motion to suspend Clark Circuit Judge Andrew Adams with pay following his Friday indictment on charges related to a downtown Indianapolis shooting he was involved in earlier this year.

The commission filed a Notice of Criminal Charges and Request for Suspension seeking Adams’ suspension immediately upon learning of the felony indictment, the Indiana Supreme Court announced Friday.

The request asks that Adams be suspended with pay from his position as judge of Clark Circuit Court 1 pending further order of the court or a final determination of any disciplinary proceeding that may result from the criminal charges.

Adams was charged with seven offenses related to the May 1 shooting of him and fellow Clark Circuit Judge Bradley Jacobs. The charges against Adams include two counts of Level 6 felony battery resulting in moderate bodily injury; two counts of Class A misdemeanor battery resulting in bodily injury; two counts of Class B misdemeanor battery; and one count of Class B misdemeanor disorderly conduct by engaging in fighting or tumultuous conduct.

The charges come almost two months after the judges were shot in the early morning hours of May 1 outside a White Castle restaurant near downtown Indianapolis. The judges were in town to attend the Spring Judicial Conference.

Indiana Admission and Discipline Rule 25(V)(A) provides that, “A judicial officer shall be suspended with pay by the Supreme Court without the necessity of action by the Commission upon the filing of an indictment or information charging the judicial officer in any court in the United States with a crime punishable as a felony under the laws of Indiana or the United States.”

The Indiana Supreme Court has appointed judges pro tempore to hear cases in Clark Circuit 1 and Clark Circuit 2, where Adams and Jacobs preside. The appointed judges are still on the bench.

Prior to Friday, Adams had never been the subject of an attorney or judicial disciplinary action, according to the Indiana Roll of Attorneys.

Also charged Friday were Indianapolis residents Brandon Kaiser and Alfredo Vazquez. Jacobs was not charged in connection with the shooting. 

5 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Doesn’t a felony conviction cost him his license to practice law Bob?

Depends on the felony. There will almost certainly be at least a period of suspension. I also suspect s felony conviction would require him to step down as a judge.

• 2 months later...

Hackney: Public has a right to know details of judge's actions in White Castle shooting: https://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/columnists/suzette-hackney/2019/09/12/clark-county-indiana-judges-white-castle-shooting-public-right-to-know-hackney/2287529001/     Note: URL is behind a paywall

The Indiana Supreme Court took the significant step Wednesday of announcing that a southern Indiana judge, who pleaded guilty to misdemeanor battery for his role in an altercation in which he ended up being shot outside a Downtown Indianapolis White Castle, remains under investigation and suspended from the bench.

Significant because the circumstances surrounding the May 1 incident remain mostly shrouded in secrecy

Think about this for a moment: two judges were shot, in a highly visible parking lot, in the wee hours of the morning, in Downtown Indianapolis — and we know next to nothing about the case. 

Something isn’t right here.

The handling of this case has been devoid of transparency, which calls into question the credibility of the investigation and ongoing judicial disposition. More so, it conjures the very real and corrupt practice of law enforcement officials protecting their own at all costs.

Of course there's a needed balance of safeguarding the integrity of the judicial process with the public's right to know about the conduct of elected officials. But I have never seen anything like this — and I covered the criminal justice system in Detroit for nearly a decade.

• 2 months later...

Update:  'They discredited the entire Indiana judiciary': Judges in White Castle fight suspended: https://www.jconline.com/story/news/crime/2019/11/12/white-castle-fight-judges-suspended-without-pay/2576064001/

Three Indiana judges involved in a Downtown Indianapolis fight in May that ended with two of the judges shot have been suspended without pay after the Indiana Supreme Court determined they committed judicial misconduct. 

In an opinion issued Tuesday, the court said judges Bradley Jacobs, Andrew Adams and Sabrina Bell "engaged in judicial misconduct by appearing in public in an intoxicated state and behaving in an injudicious manner and by becoming involved in a verbal altercation." 

Adams' whole blood alcohol level was approximately 0.157 upon admission to the hospital, and Jacobs' was approximately 0.13, according to the opinion. Bell's blood alcohol level was not tested, "but she was intoxicated enough that she lacks any memory of the incident," per the opinion. 

Additionally, Adams and Jacobs "engaged in judicial misconduct by becoming involved in a physical altercation for which Judge Adams was criminally charged and convicted," the court said in its opinion. 

Adams, who was the only judge criminally charged in the case, pleaded guilty to one count of misdemeanor battery in September. He received a sentence of 365 days in jail, a credit for two days served. The remaining 363 days of the sentence were suspended, meaning Adams served no additional jail time. 

All three judges received suspensions, but will eventually return to their offices. Adams was suspended without pay for 60 days beginning Tuesday, the court said. He will be reinstated as judge of the Clark Circuit Court 1 on Jan. 13. 

Jacobs and Bell will both be suspended without pay for 30 days beginning Nov. 22. They will be reinstated to their respective courts in Clark and Crawford counties on Dec. 23. 

"Respondents’ actions were not merely embarrassing on a personal level; they discredited the entire Indiana judiciary," the court said in the opinion. 

Justice has been meted out.

• Disdain 1