Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

5A Sectional Alignment

53 minutes ago, southsidefootball said:

Any general thoughts? A Fort Wayne School out of the north? The south seems to be more of a gauntlet. 

For this year, you'd have to think Michigan City will likely run into Snider or Dwenger at semi-state.  New Pal lurking in the south.

Look for Valparaiso to make a run in two years.  Dropping from 6A to 5A, the community has been talking about this particular class for quite some time.

I'd agree with the north looking like Michigan City,  Dwenger or Snider.  Not sure who competes with New Pal in the south.  If you look at the brackets from the New Pal perspective I'd expect Decatur Central in the regional then Bloomington South at semistate?  I'm sure DC will continue to be strong,  don't know enough about Bloomington to comment.

18 hours ago, dmizers3 said:

I'd agree with the north looking like Michigan City,  Dwenger or Snider.  Not sure who competes with New Pal in the south.  If you look at the brackets from the New Pal perspective I'd expect Decatur Central in the regional then Bloomington South at semistate?  I'm sure DC will continue to be strong,  don't know enough about Bloomington to comment.

Do you think Whiteland will give New Pal a game in the sectionals? Did Michigan City lose a lot from last year's team? 

23 hours ago, HanShotFirst said:

For this year, you'd have to think Michigan City will likely run into Snider or Dwenger at semi-state.  New Pal lurking in the south.

Look for Valparaiso to make a run in two years.  Dropping from 6A to 5A, the community has been talking about this particular class for quite some time.

Heard Valpo has a stud 6'6" soph who's getting D1 offers already in both football and bball. Seems like things are on the up and up in Valpo

20 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Heard Valpo has a stud 6'6" soph who's getting D1 offers already in both football and bball. Seems like things are on the up and up in Valpo

Yes, Cooper has been offered by IU, Michigan, and Central Michigan.  Dad played at Notre Dame in the late 80s.

5 hours ago, southsidefootball said:

Do you think Whiteland will give New Pal a game in the sectionals? Did Michigan City lose a lot from last year's team? 

I wouldn't expect a New Pal vs Whiteland game to be within 17 points.  I know Michigan City lost some players including RB, QB and several on defense but do return a lot of talent.

On 5/3/2019 at 1:53 PM, dmizers3 said:

I wouldn't expect a New Pal vs Whiteland game to be within 17 points.  I know Michigan City lost some players including RB, QB and several on defense but do return a lot of talent.

Whiteland is often really good and is very well-coached. They tend to go in two-year cycles, where they're loaded one year and then rebuilding the next (although they were 8-3 last year and sound like they will be pretty good again). Whiteland has also played the two closest regular-season games against New Palestine in the last six years. A potential path of Whiteland-Decatur Central-Bloomington South/Castle will be a gauntlet for NP to get to Lucas Oil. 

4 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Whiteland is often really good and is very well-coached. They tend to go in two-year cycles, where they're loaded one year and then rebuilding the next (although they were 8-3 last year and sound like they will be pretty good again). Whiteland has also played the two closest regular-season games against New Palestine in the last six years. A potential path of Whiteland-Decatur Central-Bloomington South/Castle will be a gauntlet for NP to get to Lucas Oil. 

Everything you said about Whiteland is 100% accurate.   I will say the 2 times NP played them recently were the 2 years NP wasn't nearly as strong and didn't get out of the sectional.   Also agree that DC and Bloomington South would be a tough test.  Just not sold that Whiteland or Castle is at a level to be a serious threat to NP.  I remember in 2015 Castle was sure they were going into NP more tested and leaving with a win.  As I recall that one finished 56-6 and could've been worse.  Should be an interesting season in 5A for sure.  It'll be fun to see how many of these teams end up.