Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hammond Morton Football Placed on Probation for “Undue Influence”

This type of thing happens everywhere.   Most coaches just aren’t dumb enough to send texts or emails about it.    
look at all the transfers within the Evansville schools- Mater Dei, Central, North, Reitz, Memorial just to name a few.  

9 minutes ago, AW0352 said:

This type of thing happens everywhere.   Most coaches just aren’t dumb enough to send texts or emails about it.

I'm not going to throw out any baseless accusations because there's none of which I have first hand knowledge, but I think you ought to be pretty naïve to not think there is some pretty widespread tampering going on given all the influx of transfers. I think it's more common on the hardwood vs gridiron, but I just don't think kids wake up in droves and decide to transfer without somebody in their ear or their families ear. 

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I'm not going to throw out any baseless accusations because there's none of which I have first hand knowledge, but I think you ought to be pretty naïve to not think there is some pretty widespread tampering going on given all the influx of transfers. I think it's more common on the hardwood vs gridiron, but I just don't think kids wake up in droves and decide to transfer without somebody in their ear or their families ear. 

The "tampering" is easier on hardwood because travel teams can be used as intermediaries. The coach doesn't have to contact kids ... he can simply have an "in" with a travel program and have the travel program (or parents in that program) do it for them. 

High school football doesn't quite have that "travel" component and so the third-party access isn't quite as great (although with Team Indiana in Indy and specialized private speed/skill coaches - who just happen to be affiliated with high school programs - there are some avenues for "recruiting," but it's not as widespread). 

5 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

The "tampering" is easier on hardwood because travel teams can be used as intermediaries. The coach doesn't have to contact kids ... he can simply have an "in" with a travel program and have the travel program (or parents in that program) do it for them. 

High school football doesn't quite have that "travel" component and so the third-party access isn't quite as great (although with Team Indiana in Indy and specialized private speed/skill coaches - who just happen to be affiliated with high school programs - there are some avenues for "recruiting," but it's not as widespread). 

Correct. And if the IHSAA lifts any restriction on athletically motivated transfers, what is to stop an elite AAU program like Spiece Indy Heat which features a ton of good local prospects from colluding with one another as AAU teammates to all transferring to one high school? 

Is it an extreme example? Probably, but it's not unheard of or unfathomable. With social media the way it is today, you already see high school recruits recruiting one another to come join them in the collegiate ranks, why stop there?

Lifting restrictions on athletically motivated transfers is going to come with some severe unintended consequences. 

12 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Correct. And if the IHSAA lifts any restriction on athletically motivated transfers, what is to stop an elite AAU program like Spiece Indy Heat which features a ton of good local prospects from colluding with one another as AAU teammates to all transferring to one high school? 

Is it an extreme example? Probably, but it's not unheard of or unfathomable. With social media the way it is today, you already see high school recruits recruiting one another to come join them in the collegiate ranks, why stop there?

Lifting restrictions on athletically motivated transfers is going to come with some severe unintended consequences. 

A system of rules designed to accomplish a particular result should not be written to address the “one in a million” situation at the expense of the great majority of students wishing to change schools and continue to participate in athletics without suffering eligibility restrictions.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

A system of rules designed to accomplish a particular result should not be written to address the “one in a million” situation at the expense of the great majority of students wishing to change schools and continue to participate in athletics without suffering eligibility restrictions.

It's not a one in a million situation, and again, you'd have to be naïve to not think of the unintended consequences of an open market transfer portal in high school athletics. There were 1000+ transfers in the immediate year following the NCAA's decision to grant a one time transfer waiver to all players, which more than doubled from the year prior. 

10 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

It's not a one in a million situation, and again, you'd have to be naïve to not think of the unintended consequences of an open market transfer portal in high school athletics. There were 1000+ transfers in the immediate year following the NCAA's decision to grant a one time transfer waiver to all players, which more than doubled from the year prior. 

And I believe you’re a doomsayer who doesn’t or won’t acknowledge that the vast majority of athletes transferring schools are no problem, and shouldn’t suffer because a scenario like you’ve envisioned “might” be an unintended consequence.

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

And I believe you’re a doomsayer who doesn’t or won’t acknowledge that the vast majority of athletes transferring schools are no problem, and shouldn’t suffer because a scenario like you’ve envisioned “might” be an unintended consequence.

You seriously don't believe in an open transfer market that the best and highest level athletes won't naturally gravitate to the best one or two area teams? I find that extremely hard to believe. It's not what the IHSAA wants nor is it conducive to high school athletics. This is why club sports and AAU exist outside of IHSAA sanctioned events. There's no need to integrate the two. 

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

You seriously don't believe in an open transfer market that the best and highest level athletes won't naturally gravitate to the best one or two area teams? I find that extremely hard to believe. It's not what the IHSAA wants nor is it conducive to high school athletics. This is why club sports and AAU exist outside of IHSAA sanctioned events. There's no need to integrate the two. 

Exhibit A: Crown Point Wrestling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2022 at 1:58 PM, Footballking16 said:

I'm talking about kids who jump to 3 or 4 schools in their 4 year career. We're heading that direction, already seeing it on the hardwood. I understand a kid transferring after their freshman year being in an overwhelmed situation, but you're now seeing kids transfer every year. That's not healthy in my opinion. 

It happens in Marion County in basketball. 

Haven't read through all the mumble/jumble in this thread, so apologize if I'm beating a "dead horse" here - but this is not SHOCKING news in the least. Well, a little shocking that it would be an assistant Coach doing the contacting...the modus operandi usually involves a parent doing the heavy lifting trying to sway a family or 2 to said new school. 

Appreciate the IHSAA at least trying to have some sort of rules/regulations - but they are fighting a losing battle in most cases.