Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Week 2 Officiating Issues

Bobref

Question

21 answers to this question

What is the ruling on returning to the field after halftime?

Asking because we had a situation where the opposing team did not have anyone on the field when the 15 minute halftime was over, but the officials said as long as they report before the extra 3 minutes run out they are good.

Obviously not a huge deal, just curious. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Kill me now 1

26 minutes ago, MarkCalaway said:

What is the ruling on returning to the field after halftime?

Asking because we had a situation where the opposing team did not have anyone on the field when the 15 minute halftime was over, but the officials said as long as they report before the extra 3 minutes run out they are good.

Obviously not a huge deal, just curious. 

Thanks in advance. 

Each team must be on the field at the beginning of the mandatory 3 min. warmup period … although they are not actually required to warm up. Otherwise, it’s a 15 yd. unsportsmanlike conduct penalty charged to the head coach and assessed on the kickoff.

At which game did this happen?

49 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Each team must be on the field at the beginning of the mandatory 3 min. warmup period … although they are not actually required to warm up. Otherwise, it’s a 15 yd. unsportsmanlike conduct penalty charged to the head coach and assessed on the kickoff.

At which game did this happen?

It happened at Lapel in week 1. No penalty.

• Kill me now 1

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Believe me, nobody likes to impose that penalty. But there’s really no judgment involved here, absent extenuating circumstances.

To my knowledge, nothing was said about it at all. Except me(Mr. Bullhorn) yelling 'Let's play ball!!" after the 15:00 clock ran out and no Home team anywhere in sight.

When is a bad snap a ‘snap infraction’  and not a bad snap/fumble? 

I am assuming the offense was running the ‘freeze’ play - hard count then look to the sideline. 10 players got the memo because everyone was set. Everyone except the center who snapped the ball. 

6 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

When is a bad snap a ‘snap infraction’  and not a bad snap/fumble? 

I am assuming the offense was running the ‘freeze’ play - hard count then look to the sideline. 10 players got the memo because everyone was set. Everyone except the center who snapped the ball. 

By rule, 

“The snap begins when the snapper first moves the ball legally other than in adjustment. In a snap, the movement must be a quick and continuous backward motion of the ball during which the ball immediately leaves the hand(s) of the snapper and touches a back or the ground before it ­touches an A ­lineman. . . . The snap ends when the ball touches the ground or any ­player.”

If the snap does not conform to these requirements, it is an illegal snap, or snap infraction, and the ball remains dead. Just like a false start foul. Otherwise, the ball remains alive and there is no foul.

11 minutes ago, MarkCalaway said:

The "gun in your mouth" reference to coming out for the 3rd Quarter to start.

This crew...if ya know anything has ALWAYS been of the belief that we will knock on the door of both schools...then usher them onto the field BEFORE the end of the 15 minute mark....set the 3 minute warmup clock and continue with the 2nd half.

I am totally offended at your assumption, based upon NOTHING that I would not adhere to the terms of proper officiating procedures.  

You clearly have me and my crew confused with those who haven't done multiple State Finals!   

The gun in my mouth was to the belief that ANY crew would NOT do which I espoused in this response!     

Edited by Yuccaguy
  • Like 1

This one came up in the game I observed. I’ve modified it slightly to make it a little more interesting. How should this be handled?

3rd & 6 from the B 24. A5 runs a toss sweep toward the linesman. In the middle of the field, U has 2 flags, one on an OL for holding, and one on a DL for a personal foul, as he objected to being held. Meanwhile, the line judge is moving down his sideline when (a) he runs into a coach of Team B in the restricted area, or (b) he moves around a coach of Team B who is a yard out onto the field. In each case the coach of Team B was quite loudly pointing out the holding foul to “help” the umpire make the call. All of this occurred while the ball was alive.

On 9/2/2022 at 7:45 AM, Bobref said:

This one came up in the game I observed. I’ve modified it slightly to make it a little more interesting. How should this be handled?

3rd & 6 from the B 24. A5 runs a toss sweep toward the linesman. In the middle of the field, U has 2 flags, one on an OL for holding, and one on a DL for a personal foul, as he objected to being held. Meanwhile, the line judge is moving down his sideline when (a) he runs into a coach of Team B in the restricted area, or (b) he moves around a coach of Team B who is a yard out onto the field. In each case the coach of Team B was quite loudly pointing out the holding foul to “help” the umpire make the call. All of this occurred while the ball was alive.

No takers on this one?

8 hours ago, Bobref said:

No takers on this one?

I will take a stab......Seeing that you did not include where the hold was (what yard line....just seems like that would be important), my guess is the hold and the PF offset, and the B Coach gets flagged for interfering, or whatever the exact call is, so mark that one off.

On 9/2/2022 at 7:45 AM, Bobref said:

12 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I will take a stab......Seeing that you did not include where the hold was (what yard line....just seems like that would be important), my guess is the hold and the PF offset, and the B Coach gets flagged for interfering, or whatever the exact call is, so mark that one off.

You’re half right. Your answer is correct for scenario b), since the foul on the coach there is unsportsmanlike conduct. The live ball fouls offset and the down is replayed. But the 15 yd. penalty is enforced. In a), however, inadvertent contact with an official in the restricted area is a live ball personal foul. So, it too is offset, and not enforced. However, the effect of the foul remains, which is that if there is another foul on B involving contact in the restricted area, the head coach is disqualified.

• Like 1