Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

What is going on at Cardinal Ritter?

18 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

Can’t keep their kids in system.  My son is at another school and played against Wooten (Cathedral) and Purichia (Chatard) when they were at St Michael.  Very strong program.  There are more at Chatard and probably some I don’t know about. 

Didn’t know about Wooten. Pretty sure there are multiple Purichia’s scattered through the Ritter record books. 

Ritter has always lost talented players to other schools but something seems off based on the past few years. Do you think it is the rise of Covenant Christian and resurgence of Speedway that are taking away the “immediately local” (for lack of a better phrase) players, or did football die on the westside?

3 hours ago, BigBrebeufFan said:

Didn’t know about Wooten. Pretty sure there are multiple Purichia’s scattered through the Ritter record books. 

Ritter has always lost talented players to other schools but something seems off based on the past few years. Do you think it is the rise of Covenant Christian and resurgence of Speedway that are taking away the “immediately local” (for lack of a better phrase) players, or did football die on the westside?

Brebeuf's surge in the last decade likely has a piece in that, too. A significant chunk of Brebeuf's enrollment comes from Carmel/Zionsville/Washington Township, but they seem to be drawing a few more of the St. Monica/Pike Township kids that historically would've gone to Ritter. 

Covenant having a good program and being another private school option that has football likely has affected them a bit. I've noticed a similar pattern with girls basketball on the northeast side, with Cathedral falling from state powerhosue status right about the same time Heritage Christian's rise began. 

1 hour ago, crimsonace1 said:

Brebeuf's surge in the last decade likely has a piece in that, too. A significant chunk of Brebeuf's enrollment comes from Carmel/Zionsville/Washington Township, but they seem to be drawing a few more of the St. Monica/Pike Township kids that historically would've gone to Ritter. 

Covenant having a good program and being another private school option that has football likely has affected them a bit. I've noticed a similar pattern with girls basketball on the northeast side, with Cathedral falling from state powerhosue status right about the same time Heritage Christian's rise began. 

Do we have any indications of how many Catholics are attending Covenant?  I don't know that it would likely be a significant number, much less a significant number to hurt Ritter.  The vast majority of practicing Catholics that attend private schools at the high school level tend to attend Catholic or Catholic-themed schools as opposed to more general Christian schools when there is a Catholic option available.  While I can certainly see Catholic students from Ritter heading to Guerin or Chatard or even Cathedral, which is actually a private school with a Catholic culture/flavor, that would have an impact on Ritter, I'd be very surprised if there was a discernible impact in Catholic students from Ritter going to Covenant and even more surprised if it had any measurable impact on Ritter's football team.

6 hours ago, 260AC said:

How did they even score 71 points with a running clock... did they have starters in the whole game? Think they would have the freshman in by then. I'd love to see that replay

JV began subbing in during the 2nd quarter and scored the last TD of the 1st half to make it 55-0.  JV scored twice in the 2nd half, the last on a pick-six.

Unfortunately, no one was streaming the game.

10 hours ago, superjay said:

I just received an email that Brebeuf is looking for a game next Friday.  Did Ritter cancel?  What is going on?

Ritter doesn't have much depth.  They lost a player to injury in week 1, and the starting RB went down in the 1st half on Friday.  Their JV game with Lutheran last Monday was cancelled.

Edited by kdets89

1 hour ago, kdets89 said:

JV began subbing in during the 2nd quarter and scored the last TD of the 1st half to make it 55-0.  JV scored twice in the 2nd half, the last on a pick-six.

Unfortunately, no one was streaming the game.

Did the running clock not start in the first half? It was my understanding that was a change from the original mercy rule. 

9 hours ago, 260AC said:

How did they even score 71 points with a running clock... did they have starters in the whole game? Think they would have the freshman in by then. I'd love to see that replay

Was 55-0 at half. JV scored two more times. 

17 hours ago, foxbat said:

Do we have any indications of how many Catholics are attending Covenant?  I don't know that it would likely be a significant number, much less a significant number to hurt Ritter.  The vast majority of practicing Catholics that attend private schools at the high school level tend to attend Catholic or Catholic-themed schools as opposed to more general Christian schools when there is a Catholic option available.  While I can certainly see Catholic students from Ritter heading to Guerin or Chatard or even Cathedral, which is actually a private school with a Catholic culture/flavor, that would have an impact on Ritter, I'd be very surprised if there was a discernible impact in Catholic students from Ritter going to Covenant and even more surprised if it had any measurable impact on Ritter's football team.

I doubt many - if any - Catholics are attending Covenant. It's an Independent Christian Church-affiliated school connected to Chapel Rock Christian Church.

But the families who aren't as concerned about the religious part and simply want their kids to go to a private/smaller school - especially Protestants - might be more likely to choose Covenant than Ritter (but would have chosen Ritter if it were the only private-school option on the westside with a football team, as it once was). 

Catholics will go to Catholic schools - and I can see a lot of Westside Catholics possibly moving over to Chatard or Cathedral, but for non-Catholic families, Covenant now has emerged as an option. 

16 hours ago, superjay said:

I just received an email that Brebeuf is looking for a game next Friday.  Did Ritter cancel?  What is going on?

Ritter canceled due to a lack of available players. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Irishman said:

Did the running clock not start in the first half? It was my understanding that was a change from the original mercy rule. 

The mercy rule only operates in the second half. Exceptions were previously made due to COVID reduced rosters, but no longer.

• Thanks 1

The downfall at Ritter is self-inflicted. The previous head coach thought Ritter was winning championships because of him and not the players. The principal now President enabled him for years. The school took for granted that families would continue to send their kids to Ritter.  I could go and on. Ritter had a chance once Coach Hunt resigned to hire a former player and coach who might of been able to turn it around. It still would of been a challenge. The president of Ritter chose otherwise.  I feel for Coach Purcell as none of this is his doing. The Ritter administration has gotten just what it wanted. Ritter will not have a football team in the near future. 

Edited by Cyoguru
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, fenderbender said:

9 kids on Chatard's roster from schools that are in Ritter area schools.   Chatard is the only one that publishes affilications on their rosters, so I imaging there are more at other schools.

Unless those kids moved, how did they enroll in Chatard? I was the under the assumption Ritter, Chatard, Scecina, and Roncalli could only pull from their assigned deanery. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Unless those kids moved, how did they enroll in Chatard? I was the under the assumption Ritter, Chatard, Scecina, and Roncalli could only pull from their assigned deanery. 

53 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Really it is as open as a public school with open enrollment    The parents are free to send their kids to any school.  

I know nothing about these kids individual situations, but I know two of them from grade school ball and they have been at Chatard since their FR year.  

I also want to be clear that I am knocking Chatard or these kids.  

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Back in the 90's these schools charged a rate for kids from parishes in the deanery, and a higher rate for kids outside the deanery. It was an attempt to limit this type of thing from becoming too wide spread. I am not sure if that is still in place? 

5 hours ago, fenderbender said:

9 kids on Chatard's roster from schools that are in Ritter area schools.   Chatard is the only one that publishes affilications on their rosters, so I imaging there are more at other schools.

They also had a LB transfer to Cathedral. 

11 hours ago, Irishman said:

Back in the 90's these schools charged a rate for kids from parishes in the deanery, and a higher rate for kids outside the deanery. It was an attempt to limit this type of thing from becoming too wide spread. I am not sure if that is still in place? 

Not sure anymore, but it sounds from CYOGURU that things are bad enough at Ritter that kids are willing to pay that higher rate.

16 hours ago, fenderbender said:

Which I know has to pain Coach Purcell. Purcell is a Chatard grad himself and a very good guy. 

There will be better days for Ritter ahead (I hope). Too good of a program with sound tradition to stay down forever. 

On 8/30/2022 at 6:50 AM, fenderbender said:

Not sure anymore, but it sounds from CYOGURU that things are bad enough at Ritter that kids are willing to pay that higher rate.

Parochial schools are subsidized by the Parishes in their deanery (district).  The last time that I checked, each Parish pays their deanery school around $150,000 per year to subsidize tuition.  The Parochial schools in Indy area are Cardinal Ritter (west), Scecina (East), Bishop Chatard (North), and Roncalli (South).  There are at least two rates of tuition at each Parochial school - Parish affiliated and non-affiliated.  Parents are free to send their children to another deanery school, but they pay higher tuition.  The Parochial schools have all singed an agreement to not recruit students outside of their deanery. 

Cathedral and Brebeuf Jesuit are NOT Parochial schools, they are privately owned by religious orders outside of the archdiocese.  For that reason, Cathedral and Brebeuf can seek students from anywhere in the State.     

I know that Coach Hunt alienated many of the long-time football families and players began to migrate to other schools (mostly Chatard) several years ago.  Ritter is struggling to field a team with only 35 players on roster and will likely pay the price for a long time.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1