Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Penn vs Cathedral

Penn welcomes the Cathedral Irish to Freed Field this Friday night . Penn appears to be improved since last season and Cathedral appears to be a little down from last year . Will this game be the blowout it was last year ? I don't think Penn wins the game but I am hoping for a better game than last year . Thoughts ?

25 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Cathedral 42

Penn 31

While I think it will take some time for Irish to fix all the issues of defense, I think the punting unit will pull it together Friday after a disaster last week.

Penn only scored 31 on Portage. They won't score 31 on Cathedral

24 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Cathedral 42

Penn 31

While I think it will take some time for Irish to fix all the issues of defense, I think the punting unit will pull it together Friday after a disaster last week.

I can easily see Cathedral putting up 42. IF, not saying they can't, but IF Penn could crack 30, maybe even 20, is it safe to say Penn is back to being Penn for at least this year? Portage stinks and the strength of Valpo is relatively unknown at this point. Great test this weekend to see how this Penn team stacks up against the elite in Indiana. 

I hope the Irish have all, or most, of their players back from last week.  I sure hope Danny O'Neil especially is OK this week.  

I'm looking forward to visiting Penn for the first time.  I didn't make the trip 2 years ago but we're on our way this year.

39 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Cathedral 42

Penn 31

I hope you're right about the kicking game.  Ben Gomez spoiled the Irish faithful last year with his talents.  It's an important part of any team, and its importance is sometimes overlooked by fans.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I can easily see Cathedral putting up 42. IF, not saying they can't, but IF Penn could crack 30, maybe even 20, is it safe to say Penn is back to being Penn for at least this year? Portage stinks and the strength of Valpo is relatively unknown at this point. Great test this weekend to see how this Penn team stacks up against the elite in Indiana. 

If Penn is back to being Penn, then this game goes to the wire. 

18 minutes ago, Olympian06 said:

He was referring to the "If Penn is back to Penn" which I think BTF is disagreeing with. I don't think BTF thinks this game is going to the wire.

Penn back to being Penn is a big IF. Based on recent performances (Indy vs the field last 4 years), I've got Cathedral by 2-3 touchdowns. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, scarab527 said:

I think it'll be closer, especially with the Irish's TE injured and the QB potentially hobbled a bit, but I think Cathedral should still win this one comfortably. 

I personally (no actual knowledge) think QB will be fine and playing. He did comeback on the field after sitting out 1 play. As for the TE he also was up walking back and forth on the sideline, regardless their other TE played very well also even having a TD although he did take a big blindside hit late in the game (possibly just the wind knocked out of him). There seems to be good depth at WR and TE positions (from my observation). The RB's aren't flashy but hard runners. This game will be interesting the Irish found a lot they need to work on (coach up) defensively and in special teams. As long as QB1 is good to go (even QB2 didn't look bad on his 1 play) covering the WR's and TE's will be challenging at times.

Penn is definitely resurgent (or at least appears that way) from the last two years and should be a more formidable opponent this go around. That being said, I think this is a terrible week to be playing Cathedral given the outcome of last week, especially how poorly the Irish played for most of the game. I can assure you practice this week will not be fun and I think the Cathedral defense will be out for blood. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Penn is definitely resurgent (or at least appears that way) from the last two years and should be a more formidable opponent this go around. That being said, I think this is a terrible week to be playing Cathedral given the outcome of last week, especially how poorly the Irish played for most of the game. I can assure you practice this week will not be fun and I think the Cathedral defense will be out for blood. 

And Cathedral might be looking for a little payback for the Baseball team , LOL . 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FootballQB1 said:

Cathedral's schedule gets pretty easy at this point. Irish only struggle with athletic teams like Brownsburg, Ben Davis, Warren Central, & Center Grove. I see a running clock in this one with Penn scoring late. 49-14 Irish.

I disagree that Cathedral struggles with those type of teams nowadays. Cathedral is more adept in the skill department than they were 10 years ago when they were regularly playing WC, Ben Davis, etc. Cathedral lost to Brownsburg because they were manhandled up front. Brownsburg beat Cathedral up front time after time (and Cathedral has 2 D1 recruits on the DL), pure and simple. Couple that with extremely poor special teams play, a few dumb penalties that extended drives for Brownsburg, and a costly turnover inside the 10 yard line, and that's how you lose a one score game. 

47 minutes ago, FootballQB1 said:

Cathedral's schedule gets pretty easy at this point. Irish only struggle with athletic teams like Brownsburg, Ben Davis, Warren Central, & Center Grove. I see a running clock in this one with Penn scoring late. 49-14 Irish.

I'll take Penn in that bet.