Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Penn vs Cathedral

Well, not sure we learned too much more about the Irish this week. They were missing 5 starters (TE, DE, RB, SAM, punter). Went down 13-0 after a miserable first quarter. 5 offensive penalties on the first drive of the game and another horrible first punt of 14 yards from our 17 late in the first quarter. 

A fortuitous interception by Will McCormick sparked the defense into a virtual shutout from the 2nd quarter on. Danny O'Neill got going with Jaron Tibbs and then a score on a last second 1st half bomb to Zach Meeks as time expired to go up 14-13. Irish tacked on 3 more O'Neill TDs including a beautiful fly pattern bomb down the left sideline to Jaron Tibbs on the first play of the 2nd half. Dagger. 

A very loose start (perhaps a first loss hangover to BBurg) turned into a pretty convincing win with a great second half. Chatard week is upon us. Hope the J/V north side Catholics are ready. 

• Like 1

Was wanting a better game than the last two, and got that. Penn gave up 3 huge pass plays that all resulted in Cathedral TD’s. The one with 5 seconds before halftime was a killer. Thought Penn’s front 7 on defense played well most of the game, the secondary not so much. Penn is not there yet(Indiana EliteTeams) but hopefully heading in that direction. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Was wanting a better game than the last two, and got that. Penn gave up 3 huge pass plays that all resulted in Cathedral TD’s. The one with 5 seconds before halftime was a killer. Thought Penn’s front 7 on defense played well most of the game, the secondary not so much. Penn is not there yet(Indiana EliteTeams) but hopefully heading in that direction. 

Yep, obviously no moral victories for a storied program like Penn but hopefully this is a sign they are ready to return to the big stage.

What is the difference in this year’s team in your opinion.

10 minutes ago, temptation said:

Yep, obviously no moral victories for a storied program like Penn but hopefully this is a sign they are ready to return to the big stage.

Penn now has a dedicated strength and conditioning coach. They hired Antwon Jones as an assistant coach. He took South Bend Washington to the state finals as a HC. I believe they will keep improving, but still have a ways to go . Penn’s QB only a Jr should be real good next year. I was impressed by Cathedrals QB. Kids a baller. 

50 minutes ago, temptation said:

38-20, 35-21, not bad.

6A football is better when Penn is a player.  This was a big step forward.

Agree. The big question is.............are they the best in the north? They have Elkhart in two weeks. Carroll continues to look good. Crown Point looking good. HSE/Fishers will come calling. 

22 minutes ago, BTF said:

Agree. The big question is.............are they the best in the north? They have Elkhart in two weeks. Carroll continues to look good. Crown Point looking good. HSE/Fishers will come calling. 

If not, it’ll still make ‘em better.  Penn’s lack of a consistent threat in the north affected their ability to keep up with the south.

Just my opinion.

37 minutes ago, BTF said:

Carmel and Westfield are in the north also. 

It was a good trip up north.  The game was well worth the effort.  It took the Irish a bit to get going, but when they did it was good for this old Irish fan!

I thought the offensive line showed improvement in the 2nd half, giving Danny O'Neil more time to find his receivers, and even open up some running lanes for O'Neil and the Irish running backs.  Also, the Irish defense stepped up. late in the first half and through the 2nd half.  Baby steps, but progress by both.

If there's a better wide receiver in the state of Indiana than Jaron Tibbs, I haven't seen him yet.  He's an amazing talent.  I do hope that some of the injured players get back soon, although it was good to see young players step up and play well.

I really enjoyed the Penn facility as this was my first game up there.  It was good to have adequate seating for the visiting team.  Overall, a first class operation!

After returning home at about 1AM, I am sure there will be a nap this afternoon.

2 hours ago, BTF said:

Warsaw looking good as well

2 hours ago, temptation said:

If not, it’ll still make ‘em better.  Penn’s lack of a consistent threat in the north affected their ability to keep up with the south.

Just my opinion.

Let’s not forget Penn’s last 2 state title appearances, they went through Carmel to get there. 

4 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

It was a good trip up north.  The game was well worth the effort.  It took the Irish a bit to get going, but when they did it was good for this old Irish fan!

I thought the offensive line showed improvement in the 2nd half, giving Danny O'Neil more time to find his receivers, and even open up some running lanes for O'Neil and the Irish running backs.  Also, the Irish defense stepped up. late in the first half and through the 2nd half.  Baby steps, but progress by both.

If there's a better wide receiver in the state of Indiana than Jaron Tibbs, I haven't seen him yet.  He's an amazing talent.  I do hope that some of the injured players get back soon, although it was good to see young players step up and play well.

I really enjoyed the Penn facility as this was my first game up there.  It was good to have adequate seating for the visiting team.  Overall, a first class operation!

After returning home at about 1AM, I am sure there will be a nap this afternoon.

Definitely improvement second half, although Penn missed easy pick-six in first half which could have made things a bit more unsettling.  O Line and defense will continue to improve as season goes on.  Like it or not, we will have hands full at Chatard next week as they let a game slip away from them last night.

On 9/3/2022 at 9:05 AM, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

In all honesty I think Penn's secondary will be just fine. They had a tall task trying to slow down a very good QB with some very good weapons to throw to. Even without TE #1 the arsenal of receivers are pretty good for the Irish. QB #1 for the Irish is very impressive. Throws the ball very well and accurate on the run or in the pocket, he may miss some passes but you very seldom see him throw that terrible INT (I think he had 1 all last season). He also is deceptively a terrific runner. I think if anything Penn's Secondary faced a terrific receiving corps and has film on what to improve on.

On 9/3/2022 at 9:30 AM, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Penn now has a dedicated strength and conditioning coach. They hired Antwon Jones as an assistant coach. He took South Bend Washington to the state finals as a HC. I believe they will keep improving, but still have a ways to go . Penn’s QB only a Jr should be real good next year. I was impressed by Cathedrals QB. Kids a baller. 

Coach Jones did very well with S.B> Washington. Wasn't he a first or second year HC when they went to State?

2 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

In all honesty I think Penn's secondary will be just fine. They had a tall task trying to slow down a very good QB with some very good weapons to throw to. Even without TE #1 the arsenal of receivers are pretty good for the Irish. QB #1 for the Irish is very impressive. Throws the ball very well and accurate on the run or in the pocket, he may miss some passes but you very seldom see him throw that terrible INT (I think he had 1 all last season). He also is deceptively a terrific runner. I think if anything Penn's Secondary faced a terrific receiving corps and has film on what to improve on.

Coach Jones did very well with S.B> Washington. Wasn't he a first or second year HC when they went to State?

I believe it was his 2nd or 3rd year coaching . Cathedrals QB and receiver (Tubbs) are studs, both should be playing on Saturdays in the near future . If Cathedral gets healthy , they have as good of a chance at the 6A championship as anyone . 

1 hour ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

I believe it was his 2nd or 3rd year coaching . Cathedrals QB and receiver (Tubbs) are studs, both should be playing on Saturdays in the near future . If Cathedral gets healthy , they have as good of a chance at the 6A championship as anyone . 

It's Tibbs, Jaron Tibbs.  Yes they are both talented.  Tibbs has already committed to Purdue and, after seeing their  style against Penn State, he should help them immensely if Brohm is still there.  Danny O'Neil is also a very special talent.  I'm sure glad that Coach Peebles was open to play a sophomore QB last year.

On 9/3/2022 at 9:09 AM, temptation said:

On 9/3/2022 at 9:30 AM, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Penn now has a dedicated strength and conditioning coach.

I think the new strength program is in its fifth year now, so that is likely paying dividends. Better late than never!

On 9/3/2022 at 10:02 AM, temptation said:

Penn’s lack of a consistent threat in the north affected their ability to keep up with the south.

Just my opinion.

17 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Carmel JV 28, Cathedral JV 14.

Absolutely, the relative lack of peer competitors on Penn's schedule is, and has been, problematic. Penn's JVs played Jimtown last week. Nothing against Jimtown, of course, but it's a microcosm of the problem with the competitive environment.