Jump to content
  • Current Donation Goals

    • Raised $3,142.05 of $3,600 target

IFCA releases Coaches Poll heading into Week 3


Recommended Posts

The Indiana Football Coaches Association released its post-Week 2 poll on Monday morning.

First-place votes are in parenthesis.

CLASS 6A

  1. Center Grove (9)
  2. Brownsburg (2)
  3. Cathedral
  4. Ben Davis
  5. Hamilton Southeastern
  6. Carmel (1)
  7. Warren Central
  8. Penn
  9. Carroll
  10. Homestead

    Others receiving votes: Westfield, Fishers, Warsaw, Perry Meridican, Elkhart, Lawrence North, Noblesville, Zionsville.

CLASS 5A

  1. Merrillville (9)
  2. Whiteland (1)
  3. Mishawaka
  4. Snider
  5. Decatur Central
  6. Franklin
  7. Valparaiso
  8. Bishop Dwenger
  9. North Side
  10. HarrisonChesterton

Others receiving votes: Castle, Michigan City, Bloomington South, Concord, Chesterton, Bloomington North.

CLASS 4A

  1. New Palestine (6)
  2. Roncalli (4)
  3. Mooresville
  4. East Central
  5. Kokomo
  6. NorthWood
  7. Brebeuf Jesuit
  8. Greenfield Central
  9. New Prairie
  10. Mt Vernon (Fortville)

Others receiving votes: Jasper, Martinsville, Hobart, East Noble, Logansport, Northridge.

CLASS 3A

  1. Chatard (10)
  2. West Lafayette
  3. Gibson Southern
  4. Western Boone
  5. Guerin Catholic
  6. Mishawaka Marian
  7. Tri-West
  8. Heritage Hills
  9. Norwell
  10. Lawrenceburg

Others receiving votes: Hanover Central, Delta, Oak Hill, Charlestown, Concordia Lutheran, Southridge.

CLASS 2A

  1. Evansville Mater Dei (8)
  2. Eastbrook (1)
  3. Linton-Stockton
  4. Andrean (1)
  5. Scecina
  6. Bishop Luers
  7. Triton Central
  8. Heritage Christian
  9. Eastside
  10. Lafayette Central Catholic

Others receiving votes: LaVille, Alexandria, Eastern (Greentown), Eastern (Pekin), Brownstown Central, North Posey, Sullivan, Tipton.

CLASS 1A

  1. Lutheran (10)
  2. Adams Central
  3. South Adams
  4. Monroe Central
  5. North Judson
  6. Park Tudor
  7. North Decatur
  8. Tri
  9. Carroll (Flora)
  10. South Decatur

Others receiving votes: South Putnam, Springs Valley, Triton, Sheridan, Pioneer, Covenant Christian.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

New Pal only receiving 6 first place votes is utterly comical. 

Agree. Maybe a little less comical then Dwenger ranking higher than North Side after just losing to them. 

To be fair, this is a "coaches poll." All these guys really know are their own teams and the ones they've played. I doubt they have too much time for research. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, JQWL said:

Eastern Pekin has won 2 games out of their last 30. They must've made quite the impression last Friday.

Our victory over them feels so hollow now

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 1 first place vote for Carmel is a head scratcher for sure. I believe they should be ranked after facing two extremely difficult teams to start the season, but they literally just lost to Center Grove last week. What coach voted for Carmel OVER Center Grove after the Trojans victory? Baffling 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, JQWL said:

Eastern Pekin has won 2 games out of their last 30. They must've made quite the impression last Friday.

Definitely a situation where a coach selected the wrong "Eastern". Surely that coach meant to vote for Eastbrook, Eastside or Eastern (Greentown) instead of Eastern (Pekin).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

The 1 first place vote for Carmel is a head scratcher for sure. I believe they should be ranked after facing two extremely difficult teams to start the season, but they literally just lost to Center Grove last week. What coach voted for Carmel OVER Center Grove after the Trojans victory? Baffling 

Did You Vote For Yourself Today Graham Hadfield GIF - Did You Vote For  Yourself Today Graham Hadfield Hinduman - Discover & Share GIFs

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, temptation said:

Agreed.  Also, I second the Carmel vote as a headscratcher.

Didn't even see that. Ya wow.

I get the sentiment at having Cathedral at 3 and if you simply look at the box score of the Brownsburg game I can see how many would construe it as a close game, but the Irish were soundly beaten in all facets of that game.

I would vote an undefeated Ben Davis team and a Warren team with a better resume win over Cathedral right now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Didn't even see that. Ya wow.

I get the sentiment at having Cathedral at 3 and if you simply look at the box score of the Brownsburg game I can see how many would construe it as a close game, but the Irish were soundly beaten in all facets of that game.

I would vote an undefeated Ben Davis team and a Warren team with a better resume win over Cathedral right now. 

that's debatable....Cathedral and BD both have one loss.  Now BD played Brownsburg very hard and almost came back to pull it out, but they were down very similar earlier in the game.  Warren has played 2 tough opponents and the win against DK looks awfully impressive.

I can align with you, but I think with the top 7 teams, we are splitting hairs in 6A.  I know the least about HSE.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bash Riprock said:

that's debatable....Cathedral and BD both have one loss.  Now BD played Brownsburg very hard and almost came back to pull it out, but they were down very similar earlier in the game.  Warren has played 2 tough opponents and the win against DK looks awfully impressive.

I can align with you, but I think with the top 7 teams, we are splitting hairs in 6A.  I know the least about HSE.  

Yeah total brain fart, they aren't undefeated. Would argue they played Brownsburg better than Cathedral though. Cathedral was down 3 TD's in the 4th quarter at one point. 

But do agree in principle, 6A does appear to be as wide open as it has ever been and there isn't a clear cut favorite as it stands. 

Can't really get a good read on HSE. Buried a North Central team like they should have and edged out a win against LC, whom I don't have a read on yet either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

that's debatable....Cathedral and BD both have one loss.  Now BD played Brownsburg very hard and almost came back to pull it out, but they were down very similar earlier in the game.  Warren has played 2 tough opponents and the win against DK looks awfully impressive.

I can align with you, but I think with the top 7 teams, we are splitting hairs in 6A.  I know the least about HSE.  

Also keep in mind that Ben Davis was without their starting QB for the Brownsburg game.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BTF said:

Agree. Maybe a little less comical then Dwenger ranking higher than North Side after just losing to them

To be fair, this is a "coaches poll." All these guys really know are their own teams and the ones they've played. I doubt they have too much time for research. 

Yuuup.  Was wondering about that myself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sorta like the poll. Miners #3 in Sagarin #1. All of that is meaningless. None of it matters till sectional time. Who cares if your team is poorly rated? Calm down folks and stop whining about the stuff outta your control. Just a thought

  • Kill me now 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, globemstr3 said:

I sorta like the poll. Miners #3 in Sagarin #1. All of that is meaningless. None of it matters till sectional time. Who cares if your team is poorly rated? Calm down folks and stop whining about the stuff outta your control. Just a thought

I feel like most posters are just driving conversation here for the most part. I don't think anyone is truly getting bent out shape with the polls. Hard to argue there aren't some confusing placements though.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I feel like most posters are just driving conversation here for the most part. I don't think anyone is truly getting bent out shape with the polls. Hard to argue there aren't some confusing placements though.

I agree.. However to drive conversation it must be without feelings involved. Just a thought

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

The 1 first place vote for Carmel is a head scratcher for sure. I believe they should be ranked after facing two extremely difficult teams to start the season, but they literally just lost to Center Grove last week. What coach voted for Carmel OVER Center Grove after the Trojans victory? Baffling 

Perhaps Coach Moore didn't want to vote for his Trojans No 1?

After the game he was very very very high on Carmel calling them one of the top teams in the state and "a really great team... i mean they are great."

39 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Same with South Newton?  2-0 for the first time since face masks...

I think you answered your own question. The polls are highly based on recent program prestige.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, temptation said:

You are overthinking it.

Way overthinking it.
 

He’s right in one sense, a week 2 poll doesn’t mean anything in the long run, but if you’re going to release a weekly poll, don’t half ass it. Otherwise just drop it completely.

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gipper said:

Same with South Newton?  2-0 for the first time since face masks...

Receiving votes means that you have to have been ranked somewhere in the Top 10 by someone.  I like the fact that South Newton is having success, but of that Top 10 1A group, I'd likely place them above/in place of South Decatur ... which I'm not even sure how South Decatur is in consideration ... and that's it.  As such, I don't think it's too far off after just two games that they aren't ranked in Top 10 yet.  If they knock off TPC, I think they definitely get Top 10 votes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...