Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Field Turf Upkeep

scarab527

Question

Are there any rules pertaining to how long you can go before getting your field re-turfed? I know they recommend every 8-10 years but is there an IHSAA rule that mandates this? There's turf fields in the Region that I played on ten years ago that look like they have never been redone. Just wondering. 

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, scarab527 said:

Are there any rules pertaining to how long you can go before getting your field re-turfed? I know they recommend every 8-10 years but is there an IHSAA rule that mandates this? There's turf fields in the Region that I played on ten years ago that look like they have never been redone. Just wondering. 

I don't know of any state mandate, but I did speak to a person at one of these Region schools about their turf. I was told that there was a plan to replace it, but due to inflation increasing costs on other corporation projects, it had to be delayed. 

2 hours ago, scarab527 said:

It is not unusual for the IHSAA to determine a field is not suited for play. The judgment is usually about grass field that are in bad shape due to a lot of use and rain. I am curious if this has been a part of any discussions on North Meridian. 

45 minutes ago, Irishman said:

It is not unusual for the IHSAA to determine a field is not suited for play. The judgment is usually about grass field that are in bad shape due to a lot of use and rain. I am curious if this has been a part of any discussions on North Meridian. 

Seems like there should be some standards of upkeep. Especially when there's numerous studies that indicate there's higher rates of knee injuries, etc. on turf vs natural grass. 

• Like 1