Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bishop Chatard at Roncalli

What are your thoughts on this game?  

I have attended both of Roncalli's games.  The Royal defense is much farther along and have played well against mixed competition.  The Royal offense lost a four year starter at QB, Aidan Leffler, who now plays at Ball State.  The new QB has very little experience as he missed all of last season with an injury.  The Royals also do not appear to have as much depth as in the past.  Chatard lost several leaders from last season but they are always very tough and very disciplined.

Roncalli's OL is not quite as big as the last couple of seasons as they lost Grant Ray (6'1 290) to UIndy and Sam Seacrest (6'6 305) to Louisville.  They do have good size:

Trevor Lauck - 6'7 290 (Iowa)
Brady Neu - 6'4 278 (Central Michigan)
Luke Skartvedt - 6'5 317 (Northern Illinois)
Luke Billerman - 6'2 275
Jackson McNeeley - 6'4 283

Seems like it is always Roncalli's size versus Chatard's fundamentals and quickness.        

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FCGriz said:

What are your thoughts on this game?  

I have attended both of Roncalli's games.  The Royal defense is much farther along and have played well against mixed competition.  The Royal offense lost a four year starter at QB, Aidan Leffler, who now plays at Ball State.  The new QB has very little experience as he missed all of last season with an injury.  The Royals also do not appear to have as much depth as in the past.  Chatard lost several leaders from last season but they are always very tough and very disciplined.

Roncalli's OL is not quite as big as the last couple of seasons as they lost Grant Ray (6'1 290) to UIndy and Sam Seacrest (6'6 305) to Louisville.  They do have good size:

Trevor Lauck - 6'7 290 (Iowa)
Brady Neu - 6'4 278 (Central Michigan)
Luke Skartvedt - 6'5 317 (Northern Illinois)
Luke Billerman - 6'2 275
Jackson McNeeley - 6'4 283

Seems like it is always Roncalli's size versus Chatard's fundamentals and quickness.        

Roncalli is really struggling to replace Lockard at WR.   His loss due to concussion against Chartard in Sectionals was a big factor in the Mt. Vernon loss last season.     He was able to stretch the defense with the deep ball and that really opened up the running game.

I also think the QB running game that was a strength the last several season is not going to be there this year and that also hurts.

Chatard is tough. They passed the eye test in the win over Brebeuf. For one game, I think Chatard can compete with anyone in the state. They have the most hard-nosed offense, defense, and special teams I've seen, including: Carmel, Westfield, Center Grove, Ben Davis, and Brebeuf Jesuit.

I think this will be a very good game. It will be my first time at Roncalli in 20 years. If you're at the game, hit me up! I'll be taking some video, photos, and interviews for TGD.

I hope this is the first 70-carry game I've seen this season.

1 hour ago, fenderbender said:

Roncalli is really struggling to replace Lockard at WR.   His loss due to concussion against Chartard in Sectionals was a big factor in the Mt. Vernon loss last season.     He was able to stretch the defense with the deep ball and that really opened up the running game.

I also think the QB running game that was a strength the last several season is not going to be there this year and that also hurts.

Agreed.  Hansen is a workhorse but, right now, he is the entire offense for the Royals.  This has to change and quick!  Franklin Central loaded the box with 8 or 9, same as Mt. Vernon last year.  I expect Chatard to be much better than Franklin Central.  Moyers is not a mobile QB so he must improve his accuracy and the new WRs need to make some plays.

1 hour ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Chatard is tough. They passed the eye test in the win over Brebeuf. For one game, I think Chatard can compete with anyone in the state. They have the most hard-nosed offense, defense, and special teams I've seen, including: Carmel, Westfield, Center Grove, Ben Davis, and Brebeuf Jesuit.

I think this will be a very good game. It will be my first time at Roncalli in 20 years. If you're at the game, hit me up! I'll be taking some video, photos, and interviews for TGD.

I will look forward to the pictures.  I am headed up to Raccoon Lake for a long weekend, so I will have to watch on YouTube.

12 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

CJ, sorry I didn’t catch you at the game but only saw this thread after I returned home.  Heartbreaking loss tonight in the last seconds of the game by the Trojans in a defensive battle.   Best luck to Roncalli the rest of the season.

24 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

How did this one go? I saw Roncalli won in a tight one

The game was tied 14-14 when Chatard blocked a field goal after a goal line stand with around 2 minutes to go.  Afterwards, Chatard was driving (and appeared to have all the momentum) until a fumble turnover following a pass completion near the 50 yd line with around 1:30 to go.  Roncalli marched it down within field goal range and won per Gonzo’s comments above.

It really was an entertaining game between 2 teams with very different strengths offensively.  

1 minute ago, Lysander said:

The game was tied 14-14 when Chatard blocked a field goal after a goal line stand with around 2 minutes to go.  Afterwards, Chatard was driving (and appeared to have all the momentum) until a fumble turnover following a pass completion near the 50 yd line with around 1:30 to go.  Roncalli marched it down within field goal range and won per Gonzo’s comments above.

It really was an entertaining game between 2 teams with very different strengths offensively.  

Was the game live-streamed? Might have to watch the replay

Unfortunately a really well played game was left with a big "what if" from the refs. First offf, Hanson is a stud. He probably had 45 of their 57 carrries in the game. Stop him and you stop them. Problem is, stopping him is difficult. He is tireless. As for the rest of the game, with about 5 minutes left and the score tied 14-14 Roncalli had the ball 4th and 7 at the Chatard 35 (ish). Affter the snap, the sideline judge on Roncalli's sideline drops a flag at the 30. They had a sideline interference call earlier in the game go against them. Roncalli's QB scrambles, throws a ball into the flat and the receiver converts and takes the ball down to the 3 yard line. After a brief chat amongst the refs, the sidline jusdge walks over, picks up his flag and proceeds as if nothing happened. What?!?! Now, this may have not changed the outcome but it cerrtainly changed the flow of the game and impacted thee ending. Roncalli missed that field goal, Chatard had a (questionable?) fumble around the 50 as they attempted to drive and win it. Roncalli drove down and kicked thee game winner with 4 seconds left. By the way, their kicker has a big leg. Unfortunate ending as both teams showed a ton of heart and grit. Play that game 10 times and the ending is probably 5 wins each. Good luck to both teams and, hopefully, the refs improve and don't blow it when one of these games actually matters. 

On 9/3/2022 at 6:45 AM, Just a dad said:

Unfortunately a really well played game was left with a big "what if" from the refs. First offf, Hanson is a stud. He probably had 45 of their 57 carrries in the game. Stop him and you stop them. Problem is, stopping him is difficult. He is tireless. As for the rest of the game, with about 5 minutes left and the score tied 14-14 Roncalli had the ball 4th and 7 at the Chatard 35 (ish). Affter the snap, the sideline judge on Roncalli's sideline drops a flag at the 30. They had a sideline interference call earlier in the game go against them. Roncalli's QB scrambles, throws a ball into the flat and the receiver converts and takes the ball down to the 3 yard line. After a brief chat amongst the refs, the sidline jusdge walks over, picks up his flag and proceeds as if nothing happened. What?!?! Now, this may have not changed the outcome but it cerrtainly changed the flow of the game and impacted thee ending. Roncalli missed that field goal, Chatard had a (questionable?) fumble around the 50 as they attempted to drive and win it. Roncalli drove down and kicked thee game winner with 4 seconds left. By the way, their kicker has a big leg. Unfortunate ending as both teams showed a ton of heart and grit. Play that game 10 times and the ending is probably 5 wins each. Good luck to both teams and, hopefully, the refs improve and don't blow it when one of these games actually matters. 

I’m confused. If you don’t know what happened on the play, how did you come to the conclusion that the refs “blew it?”

On 9/2/2022 at 10:23 PM, Lysander said:

Well there you are.  I had a feeling this thread might do it.

Edited by Titan32
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

I’m confused. If you don’t know what happened on the play, how did you come to the conclusion that the refs “blew it?”

I found the play he was referring to. If you follow Gonzo’s link above and go to the 2:13:00 of the broadcast. 

https://www.ihsaatv.org/?B=423457

It appears to be a question about illegal formation for Roncalli. The official on Roncalli’s sideline gives the arm indicating his WR was off the line. Drops his flag because he only had two on his side. 

It appears to me (from the camera angle at least) that there are 5 in the backfield- the wideout, tight wing, QB, RB, and a slot. 

Is the formation on 4th down legal? 

7 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

I found the play he was referring to. If you follow Gonzo’s link above and go to the 2:13:00 of the broadcast. 

https://www.ihsaatv.org/?B=423457

It appears to be a question about illegal formation for Roncalli. The official on Roncalli’s sideline gives the arm indicating his WR was off the line. Drops his flag because he only had two on his side. 

It appears to me (from the camera angle at least) that there are 5 in the backfield- the wideout, tight wing, QB, RB, and a slot. 

Is the formation on 4th down legal? 

Here is the formation in question. You can see the line judge on the Roncalli sideline pointing “back,” meaning the widest player on the LOS on his side is in the backfield. There’s a QB and a RB. There are also what appears to be 2 wingbacks. That’s 5 players who are not on the LOS at the snap, and it would be an illegal formation foul. But from the video, it is really close as to whether #3 is on or off the line. I noted that when #3 lined up he did not point “back” to the line judge, which wide receivers are trained to do when they are supposed to be off the LOS, to confirm with the wing official on their side what the lineup is supposed to be. He really doesn’t look any further downfield than the wideout on the opposite side, and the linesman has that receiver on the line. After the play was over, you can see the line judge come all the way over to the other side of the field to confer with the Referee and the linesman. After a conference where it looked like the line judge did most of the talking, they let the play stand and the Referee gives the “disregard flag” signal. Of course, I don’t know what happened. But if I had to hazard a guess, I’d say when they talked it over afterward, they decided #3 was too close to the LOS to nitpick the call. I base this on the fact that it was the line judge who dropped the flag, and it was the line judge who did all the talking in the post-play conference. It often looks ugly when you pick up a flag. But that doesn’t mean it was a bad call to do so. Obviously, you’d rather not have the flag thrown in the first place.  If the overriding concern is to get it right — and it is — then you’ve got to be willing to admit you were wrong and pick up a flag from time to time.6E8326ED-5A89-4F80-8F58-17BFBD300DFD.thumb.png.9a8d56a4a69ff9625f209d3ef486add5.png

Edited by Bobref

Chatard had a (questionable?) fumble around the 50 as they attempted to drive and win it.

I looked at that play on the video as well. Nothing “questionable” about that fumble. Helmet right on the ball and you can clearly see it come out before the runner was down.