Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC Week 4

3 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Memorial won 22-6.

WR Collins had a great first outing coming off a knee injury.  Fisher connected on a number of deep balls, including one to Collins for 6.  He also connected deep with the guy he replaced at QB, Caleb Ellspermann.  Balanced offensive attack.  No huge runs, but a lot of 5-8 yard runs.

On the other side of the ball, MD was able to move the ball ok with Wunderlich’s accurate quick strikes.  They never got much going on the ground.  Memorial probably sacked MW 5 or so times.  They had a hard time finding the end zone.

I thought the Wildcats looked gassed in the 2nd half.  They have a lot of kids that play both ways.

Looking at the game, appeared that they had like 4-7 2 way players. Saw that their D-Line was pretty much their O-Line

4 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

According to MaxPreps, Mater Dei had 1 total rushing yard

With the yardage loss on the sacks, that might be right…or at least close.  They relied heavily on Wunderlich’s arm - which makes sense, he’s got a very good one.  He throws it quick and on target.  He’s also very mobile and strong on his feet.

Memorial really controlled the line of scrimmage both ways.

As a side note, they need to take the page out of the playbook that has the bubble screen and burn it in a team ceremony.

Edited by MHSTigerFan
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MHSTigerFan said:

With the yardage loss on the sacks, that might be right…or at least close.  They relied heavily on Wunderlich’s arm - which makes sense, he’s got a very good one.  He throws it quick and on target.  He’s also very mobile and strong on his feet.

Memorial really controlled the line of scrimmage both ways.

As a side note, they need to take the page out of the playbook that has the bubble screen and burn it in a team ceremony.

I thought our passing D an overall good job contained a star like Wunderlich. He is one talented player on the field

2 hours ago, Thornton Melon said:

only shocking to those who refuse to pay attention.

perinneil contenders vs pretenders

Both have proven to be contenders. It's wise to never get too caught up in the first few weeks. The Tigers still have a player or two to get back, including one on the cover of the IFD. I think we'll be okay as things play out.. MD will be a tough out in 2A.

Edited by tango

Nice win, Tigers. I’m not surprised with the 22 but I’m shocked by the 6. I didn’t think anyone would hold the MD offense to 6 points. The Memorial D looked very good. The MD season is starting to look like the recent IU bball seasons. They start off with so much promise only to kick me in the nuts and spit on me once things get going. Good luck the rest of the way.

4 minutes ago, Moonshiners said:

Nice win, Tigers. I’m not surprised with the 22 but I’m shocked by the 6. I didn’t think anyone would hold the MD offense to 6 points. The Memorial D looked very good. The MD season is starting to look like the recent IU bball seasons. They start off with so much promise only to kick me in the nuts and spit on me once things get going. Good luck the rest of the way.

It may not have made for a different outcome.  But MD did have several very costly penalties that negated big gains - especially the ineligible receiver downfield where they scored a TD.

53 minutes ago, Moonshiners said:

I was pretty surprised you guys never scored on the interception play in the 1Q. Not scoring anything definitely hurt later on and, of course, the called back TD right before the half. Wait until the playoffs are in full swing, Coach Goebel will have MD ready

• 2 months later...
43 minutes ago, fartfry18 said:

Oh, my bad. Let me rephrase. I'd love to see the trophy anyone actually cares about from the week 4 and 9 wins.

I care. Sometimes when a team is struggling to win important post season games, like Memorial, it’s nice to know Tiger fans can celebrate the Cake-eater trophy in the off-season.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Thornton Melon said:

check the regular season scores

That EC team would’ve beaten Castle and MD by…a lot.  No shame in losing to them.  They’re a fantastic team.  Their defense was spectacular.

Memorial actually scored more against them every team they played except for Cincinnati Moeller.

14 hours ago, MHSTigerFan said:

That EC team would’ve beaten Castle and MD by…a lot.  No shame in losing to them.  They’re a fantastic team.  Their defense was spectacular.

Memorial actually scored more against them every team they played except for Cincinnati Moeller.

I also think East Central would've beaten Reitz somewhat comfortably as well. Earlier in the season (after they blew out Jasper, North, Castle, and then held on in a close one against Memorial without their QB), I and many others probably would not have thought that. I would have thought their size and speed would match up well with East Central and whoever else they would run into, but their offense was never the same after their QB got hurt, and with Vera in there they were too limited against good defenses. Unfortunately for the rest of 4A south, there was a massive roadblock this year in East Central/Roncalli/New Pal. I think all 3 of those teams could win state in 5A this year, and I think Reitz or Memorial could've went to semistate or state. Just how it goes sometimes. So what are the chances looking like that Memorial moves back down to 3A after next season? I forget how the points work, but how far would they have to make it to stay in 4A?

1 minute ago, Football Fanatic said:

So what are the chances looking like that Memorial moves back down to 3A after next season? I forget how the points work, but how far would they have to make it to stay in 4A?

Memorial would need to win the sectional next year to remain in 4A. As the Tigers currently have 1 point in the system and need 2 to remain. Lose in the sectional, Memorial will be back in 3A. Chances in 3A? Could be good, but hard to predict from 2 years out now, our solid sophomore class will be seniors, and the classes below the 2025 appear to be solid too.

1 minute ago, TigerFan20 said:

Memorial would need to win the sectional next year to remain in 4A. As the Tigers currently have 1 point in the system and need 2 to remain. Lose in the sectional, Memorial will be back in 3A. Chances in 3A? Could be good, but hard to predict from 2 years out now, our solid sophomore class will be seniors, and the classes below the 2025 appear to be solid too.

I would think Reitz will be the favorite to win that sectional next year considering who they have returning, but obviously cannot count out Memorial or Jasper. I know Memorial fans/coaches/players would love to see them win it again, but there's also a lot of people who would like to see Memorial back in 3A. Notably - the 4A teams in their sectional, and people who think they have a better chance at going to state in 3A (which they probably do). Personally, I would like to see more Memorial vs. Gibson Southern matchups. Those were fun.