Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2022 Season

Irishman

20 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

100% truth......

I will also add a head coach as well 

That's really my point. I don't think it matters who IU hires as head coach (unless they can pry a huge name from a stable program) if they can't hire and retain quality assistants. Deboer and Wommack really masked Allen's deficiencies as a head coach and game managing abilities. Allen trying to split head coaching and defensive play calling duties has really back fired and while Walt Bell is an upgrade from Sheridan, he's nowhere close to Deboer. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Tom Allen's buyout.....are you kidding me?  Tops in the Big 10.  IU made their bed.

https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/lists/big-ten-football-head-coaches-contract-buyouts-ranked-2021/

Anyone have Mark Cuban's number? I got a new phone and lost my contacts. 

The concern now is the bigger picture. Do guys in the locker room pull the team together? Or is it falling apart? The rah rah stuff, while it is genuinely who Allen is, can become noise with the way this is going. Just like a coach who tries to be a hard ass. I am not sure either extreme is good for long term success of a program. Losing on a regular basis creates a level of doubt. Just like a virus, that doubt can spread quickly. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Tom Allen's buyout.....are you kidding me?  Tops in the Big 10.  IU made their bed.

https://buckeyeswire.usatoday.com/lists/big-ten-football-head-coaches-contract-buyouts-ranked-2021/

Allen's buyout is $30 million through December 1st 2024 and then it drops to $15 million. IU may not win another game this season and then it becomes decision time for the AD. Do you really want to keep Allen for the 2023 AND 2024 season just to save $15 million? I just don't see how IU can afford to keep Allen for two more years until his buyout decreases.

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Allen's buyout is $30 million through December 1st 2024 and then it drops to $15 million. IU may not win another game this season and then it becomes decision time for the AD. Do you really want to keep Allen for the 2023 AND 2024 season just to save $15 million? I just don't see how IU can afford to keep Allen for two more years until his buyout decreases.

it's interesting as what starts out as being a deterrent for other schools to come in and "get your guy", becomes a possible deterrent to your own program in making a move.....

2 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

it's interesting as what starts out as being a deterrent for other schools to come in and "get your guy", becomes a possible deterrent to your own program in making a move.....

And I don't actually recall anyone taking a long hard look at Allen. Usually these ridiculous contracts come on the back of a coach being potentially poached, but I don't ever remember that being the case with Allen. Agreed he had earned a contract extension and raise after the 2019 and 2020 seasons, but to this extent? No way. 

14 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

And I don't actually recall anyone taking a long hard look at Allen. Usually these ridiculous contracts come on the back of a coach being potentially poached, but I don't ever remember that being the case with Allen. Agreed he had earned a contract extension and raise after the 2019 and 2020 seasons, but to this extent? No way. 

The story was there were a couple schools considering him before the extension was signed. I don't believe they were in a power 5 conference though. Outside of the buyout, at that time, it was the right move. It's easy for some to look back now and say that was a poor choice, or even not the best choice, but it really was a good move based on the results of that time. It had even been discussed here that the constant turnover of coaches, including the head coach was a factor in IU's problems. 

15 minutes ago, Irishman said:

The story was there were a couple schools considering him before the extension was signed. I don't believe they were in a power 5 conference though. Outside of the buyout, at that time, it was the right move. It's easy for some to look back now and say that was a poor choice, or even not the best choice, but it really was a good move based on the results of that time. It had even been discussed here that the constant turnover of coaches, including the head coach was a factor in IU's problems. 

I do think an extension and raise was warranted, but you don't give out those numbers especially if your competition isn't a P5 school. I do wonder how much of Allen's contract was leveraged by him and his camp vs IU having an AD who at the time had never been tasked with this kind of situation? 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Irishman said:

IndyStar references it, but I do remember when his name was being thrown around for Florida State.  This was a concern given his historical Florida HS connections.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/11/04/iu-football-coach-tom-allen-line-pay-raise-athletic-director/4160874002/

Also, SI article

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/football/indiana-football-concern-tom-allen-florida-state-opening

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I do think an extension and raise was warranted, but you don't give out those numbers especially if your competition isn't a P5 school. I do wonder how much of Allen's contract was leveraged by him and his camp vs IU having an AD who at the time had never been tasked with this kind of situation? 

I agree 1000000000%

But are you guys' LEO'ing still ?   

The Rah Rah is just noise, need substance, I have put the 2 losses of my team squarely on my head coach I support in W.L.A, 2 meltdowns away from sitting real real pretty, but I shall remember many folks who told me around these parts that the trend was IU and PU spiral downward, I think substance and performance matters, PU offense has kept on clicking post Rondale Moore, David Bell and loss of a big time Assistant in Shepard who is OC at Washington, while their defense, 4th year for many guys who have been playing a long time are ranked 25th nationally, with new DC.   

Just put your head down and WORK, that is the Jeff Brohm way.  

• Like 1
  • Kill me now 1

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

So many mistakes and to be tied at the half is not what anyone expected in this one. 

Really hoping Mike Hart is ok....great dude and great coach as well. 

Scary, I didn’t see it but heard about MH collapsing on the sideline. Was he ran into or did he just collapse? Hope he’s ok. 

Just now, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Scary, I didn’t see it but heard about MH collapsing on the sideline. Was he ran into or did he just collapse? Hope he’s ok. 

It happened during a commercial break, so I don't think anyone ran into him. The sideline reporter used the term seizure, so I am guessing he just collapsed; still no reason given as to why. 

This is how it usually starts, right? You can only have so many assistants leave or get fired before you look to where the buck stops. 
https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-football-tom-allen-announces-firing-of-ol-coach-hiller-alumnus-rod-carey-to-fill-role/?fbclid=IwAR0IcmJOT2KQfzy1EwQ7qTZgsFcXTMqmjtRz_1dZPFoWQb_gCeT8GZjbgrw 

On 10/8/2022 at 3:34 PM, Irishman said:

It happened during a commercial break, so I don't think anyone ran into him. The sideline reporter used the term seizure, so I am guessing he just collapsed; still no reason given as to why. 

A little update...he is keeping it close to the vest understandbly, but is back in Ann Arbor hoping to return soon....

His tweet with an update and thanks......just a class guy.  Get well soon Coach Hart!!

https://www.si.com/college/2022/10/10/michigan-football-assistant-coach-mike-hart-health-update

• Like 2